Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Palladium posted:

HTC's fundamental problem is they are only a mere device assembler using commodity components and a commodity OS. Its death by a thousand cuts by the Chinese across the strait who can do the same thing at a lower price.

They can't really though - the U11 is a genuinely good devin a way none of the Chinese models can match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
T-Mobile made the Z2 Force $500 ($20 month), and Motorola still offers the free projector.

I don't have any Moto mods on mine and it's a pretty good phone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone know what's up with apps that don't have their icon showing up? Friend of mine is having an issue on his Moto Play (the new one Verizon sells) with the B&H app.

He uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and it's still showing up as the default Android app icon. He hasn't rebooted.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone know what's up with apps that don't have their icon showing up? Friend of mine is having an issue on his Moto Play (the new one Verizon sells) with the B&H app.

He uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and it's still showing up as the default Android app icon. He hasn't rebooted.

Is it installed on the SD card or something

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nimper posted:

Is it installed on the SD card or something

No

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Soo, has he tried rebooting, as that seems like an odd thing not to try?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Soo, has he tried rebooting, as that seems like an odd thing not to try?

I have odd friends.

He says no because the last time it happened a few days ago, the icon returned.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

ThermoPhysical posted:

I have odd friends.

He says no because the last time it happened a few days ago, the icon returned.

Ticket closed

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Wee Bairns posted:

Am I going to regret this decision?

Probably.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Google trade in program is live. Values aren't super great like most trade in programs, but it exists. I'm assuming the Pixel will be a valid trade in option once the 2 launches.

http://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-trade-in-program-802230/

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
$165 max for a 6P boooooo

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

$115 for the Nexus 5x I have vs $185 on the open market. That $70 difference may be worth it to sidestep the potential of whoever gets my 5x having a bootloop.

That $70 margin is really more like $55 one you factor in seller fees and shipping as well.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

bull3964 posted:

Google trade in program is live. Values aren't super great like most trade in programs, but it exists. I'm assuming the Pixel will be a valid trade in option once the 2 launches.

I'm probably going to do this with my 6p because otherwise I'll hold on to my phone for 4 years as a 'backup phone' that I'll never use.

The activation energy required to sell it is just too high because :effort:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As a member of a 2 5x owner household, I am very glad I kept a backup 5 sitting around. We bought my wife a G5+ when her 5x died and Google passed the buck to LG who said gently caress you, so we'll likely keep that as a backup instead of my 5x, but yeah, it may be a good idea to keep a backup phone around.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

$115 for the Nexus 5x I have vs $185 on the open market. That $70 difference may be worth it to sidestep the potential of whoever gets my 5x having a bootloop.

That $70 margin is really more like $55 one you factor in seller fees and shipping as well.

Don't forget the $50 bonus for pre-ordering the X4. So, $20 margin.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The X4 trade in is offering me more for my Nexus 6 than the normal google trade in linked above. Like $20 more, but it has to be for the X4.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Of course this isn't available in Canada. Just like the device financing. And YouTube Red. And Voice. Why do you hate us Google

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Thanatosian posted:

Don't forget the $50 bonus for pre-ordering the X4. So, $20 margin.

I'm not buying an X4, I'll be buying a Pixel 2 XL.

I'm not in Fi anyways.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Of course this isn't available in Canada. Just like the device financing. And YouTube Red. And Voice. Why do you hate us Google

Then come to the USA, where you can finance both a phone and life saving medical treatment!

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

$60 for the Nexus 6.

Eh, I'll take it. I want the $650 Pixel 2 so that would still be a decent amount off, I guess.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

If your phones work fine still, just post them to Swappa guys. It's really the easiest and safest way to get pretty good value back on your devices. Just don't undershoot your value too much.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

EdEddnEddy posted:

If your phones work fine still, just post them to Swappa guys. It's really the easiest and safest way to get pretty good value back on your devices. Just don't undershoot your value too much.

I bought my pixel XL there. Works great

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

EdEddnEddy posted:

Yeah, they seem to be going for $150 still, too. Not too hard to get a device sold if it's priced right.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Internet Explorer posted:

but yeah, it may be a good idea to keep a backup phone around.

I was so happy Cricket gave me a free $30 phone when I switched like six weeks before my 5x bootlooped. Somehow, it was cheaper for them to give me that phone than just a SIM card. :shrug:

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
What do y'all think the odds are that the Pixel 2 will surprise us with wireless charging?

It's honestly the biggest feature that makes me hesitate choosing it over something like the Note 8 or even iPhone 8.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

nolen posted:

What do y'all think the odds are that the Pixel 2 will surprise us with wireless charging?

It's honestly the biggest feature that makes me hesitate choosing it over something like the Note 8 or even iPhone 8.

All the pictures we've seen show a mostly metal back, so probably not.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
$155 to dump my 6P without having my conscious whine at me for saddling some random shmuck with a soon-to-bootloop phone? Sounds good to me, think I'll wait a bit longer to see if the Pixel 1 XL gets a price drop in the coming weeks though.

(watch this trade-in deal only last a week like the first price drop)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I got about $175 after all costs for my 32GB 5X a few weeks ago on Swappa; if you're getting the extra Fi credit I might just go for the Google trade-in but if not I'd probably try to sell it there.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/22/check-for-update-button-android/

Ok, this is huge in my book. Check for update button will actually do something now. If you want an update immediately, it will download and install if there's one available. No more waiting in line, no more luck of the draw.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'd rather they just remove the button.

Staged rollouts exist for a reason.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

Which is?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Thermopyle posted:

I'd rather they just remove the button.

Or maybe just hide it under developer options?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

One of which is to deal with situations like they and other vendors have experienced before where a show-stopping bug arises that their internal testing didn't reveal. Much better if only 1% of users get the bug that causes your phone to catch on fire instead of the 1% plus millions of nerds mashing the update button and then screaming on XDA and comment threads.

(assuming that it actually works that way...1% + button mashers. It could be that button mashers just fill up the queue to 1% and the rest of them can get hosed.)

edit: lol, I forgot the details in the few mintues before the first time i read the article and the time I made this post. It is 1% + button mashers.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 22, 2017

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Filthy casuals dont even know that button exists so who the hell cares.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Google exist in a permanently beta state and don't want to be responsible for anything

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Filthy casuals dont even know that button exists so who the hell cares.

People who read forums.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think this is a really odd thing to be against. There's a super small number of people who are going to click that button and if it is more than a blip on the radar then good, maybe it will encourage Google to test their poo poo instead of using their customers as guinea pigs.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Google: solving the Android update problem by sighing heavily and rolling their eyes when users start rabbling about updates. Don't the little people know how hard that is??

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Internet Explorer posted:

I think this is a really odd thing to be against. There's a super small number of people who are going to click that button and if it is more than a blip on the radar then good, maybe it will encourage Google to test their poo poo instead of using their customers as guinea pigs.

"Against" is kind of a strong word. I wouldn't have thought about the subject again if people hadn't questioned me about it...

...until people start complaining about their on-fire phones in this thread. Do you think people mashing the update button are over-represented or under-represented in this thread and other Android-talky places on the internet? Do you think places like Lifehacker will or will not post articles "PRESS THIS BUTTON TO GET ANDROID 11.6 NOW!!!"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Apple trains its users that mashing the button will get the update. Google is now doing the same.

Merciful heavens.