Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Snuffman posted:

Off the top of my head:

- Harvest Moon
- Final Fantasy 2
- Secret of Evermore (debatable? I hated it, but some people really liked it)
- Soul Blazer
- Illusion of Gaia
- Terranigma
- Ogre Battle
- Lufia
- Lufia 2
- EVO: Search for Eden

The SNES was a great RPG system, and while that's reflected in what's on the SNES Classic (and it includes some of the best), it doesn't have all of the best.

Good start, add ActRaiser and SimCity definitely. Also Turtles in Time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
IGN did a top 100 list that is pretty all inclusive. Some games that I would say are kind of turds, but they hit all that I was thinking of:
http://www.ign.com/lists/top-100-snes-games

Batman and Robin is great!

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

univbee posted:

Good start, add ActRaiser and SimCity definitely. Also Turtles in Time.

Yes turtles in time, was gonna post that.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Definitely putting the Blizzard games on there

Lost Vikings and Rock and Roll Racing, right? :haw:

excellent choices!

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat harvest moon would have been tight on this thing. I would definitely switch out something like ghouls n ghosts for that.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Supercar Gautier posted:

As a kid you didn't have convenient access to any game you wanted, and getting a new one was an uncommon treat usually reserved for birthdays and Christmas, so I think it's okay to feel nostalgic about that feeling of excitement. That's my imho.

The anticipation of a thing is definitely a powerful feeling, and one that's lost in today's on-demand environment.

Not that on-demand games, movies, music, etc. isn't cool, it is, but not without a few nagging cons.

edit: games I would add to the SNES Classic

-FF2/4
-Chrono Trigger
-Xardion (not the greatest game but I have fond memories of this middling platformer)
-NBA Jam TE
-Super Tecmo Bowl III or whatever the one I had was
-Mega Man X2
-Mega Man X3
-UN loving Squadron
-TMNT: Turtles In Time
-Sim City

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 22, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Snuffman posted:

excellent choices!

Blackthorne as well, didn't know about Rock and Roll Racing.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

drat harvest moon would have been tight on this thing. I would definitely switch out something like ghouls n ghosts for that.

Definitely one they should have added. Though if I replay a Harvest Moon it would be Harvest Moon 64, or Harvest Moon 3 on GBC.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FireMrshlBill posted:

Blackthorne as well, didn't know about Rock and Roll Racing.

Definitely one they should have added. Though if I replay a Harvest Moon it would be Harvest Moon 64, or Harvest Moon 3 on GBC.

Yeah Harvest Moon 64 (I think its the same one that the PS1 had?) was real good. I mean stardew valley exists too.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Snuffman posted:

excellent choices!

And Blackthorne

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

I'm going to play Secret of Mana and try to talk people into playing Mario Kart. Assuming I get a system.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

TheManWithNoName posted:

Assuming I get a system.

You know what happens when you assume?

You don't get a Nintendo product.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Check out mr loving cool here. :lol:

lol dude I totally acknowledge I have nerdy interests and I have great memories from playing games and I post on here a ton about the games I play these days and do loser rear end things like get stoned as gently caress and play resident evil and poo poo, but like, revering a toy store chain that only declared chapter 11 in some teary eyed comic like it was the pillar of your childhood, come on lmao that's pretty fuckin lame

This. If your best memories are from buying a loving video game at a toys r us and that's like just the peak of your childhood happiness, then you had a pretty loving lovely childhood/life.

yeah, I was excited to get stuff like Ocarina of Time and Perfect Dark and Chrono Trigger back in the day, but I definitely wasn't hosed up by Funcoland closing all its stores :shrug:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing MK8DX with my 5 year old a lot since I got my Switch, so I'm going to set this up on a little TV in the bonus room next to the NES and make a dedicated nostalgia station. See if SNES MK sticks with her.

And yeah, assuming standing outside Target at 645 am next Friday is good enough to get me one.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah Harvest Moon 64 (I think its the same one that the PS1 had?) was real good. I mean stardew valley exists too.

HM64 is different from Back to Nature on the PS1. Both are good, but I vastly prefer HM64. Ya, I am in the "Stardewhen?" crowd in the Switch thread.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

And Blackthorne

Blackthorne owns

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

univbee posted:

Re-reading the "Let's Break Final Fantasy III" LP has made me itchin' for that game, even though it won't have Relm's Sketch Bug. Not sure if it's what I'll play first but I'm def keen on that.

Do we know that for sure? A minor oversight from Nintendo and you could have version 1.0 of FFIII out of the box and not version 1.1.

And if it is 1.1, just swap it out with 1.0 when you're adding Chrono Trigger on there.

Man, some of my favorite childhood memories of FFIII is breaking the gently caress out of that game.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FireMrshlBill posted:

HM64 is different from Back to Nature on the PS1. Both are good, but I vastly prefer HM64. Ya, I am in the "Stardewhen?" crowd in the Switch thread.

Wait for real? drat I didn't know they were different

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I'll never forget ActRaiser. What a strange, wonderful game.

Were there any Kunio-Kun / American Technos "River City Ransom"alikes on the SNES?

edit: Did the Actraiser pseudo-sequels still have the weird Cupid Simcity levels?

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Sep 22, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I actually hated the Toys R Us ticket system because I just knew some punk kid probably hid all the tickets for Turtles in Time

univbee posted:

Re-reading the "Let's Break Final Fantasy III" LP has made me itchin' for that game, even though it won't have Relm's Sketch Bug. Not sure if it's what I'll play first but I'm def keen on that.

The nice thing is you can save outside of Narshe (the legit save) and then use save states until the floating continent so you don't have to be some insane lunatic actually getting that far without saving.

I think I'm going to do the glitch too. I love that game too much not to.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Wait for real? drat I didn't know they were different

They are both HM games and have similar sprites and graphics, many of the towns people look similar but are different when you talk to them. BtN has more crops and mechanics and a little more focused on farming. HM64 is a little more focused on the social aspects with the town (like marrying and whatnot), and you have to more chose between social interactions and time on the farm.

So they are close, but not the same game exactly, not a direct port is what I meant.

Big pro of BTN, cycling through tools on the fly and is a little bigger.

Big pro of HM64, loading and saving in under 5 minutes, and having to race the clock makes it a little less repetitive IMO since you can't do it all easily.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Anybody have any experience preordering a big release like this at Best Buy? I have it set for in-store pickup but might not be able to grab it that Friday morning. Hear of any horror stories with Best Buy or should it be fine grabbing my order on Saturday?

I'm just extra paranoid because I was one of the Walmart cancellation ~victims~.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Anybody have any experience preordering a big release like this at Best Buy? I have it set for in-store pickup but might not be able to grab it that Friday morning. Hear of any horror stories with Best Buy or should it be fine grabbing my order on Saturday?

I'm just extra paranoid because I was one of the Walmart cancellation ~victims~.

I heard of one with the Switch, they sold their neon version to someone or gave it to someone that pre-ordered a gray one. That person ended up getting a gray one at least. I always just chose shipping with them since it is free and they usually get it to your door day-of, and I am working during the day anyway so getting it at 6 or 7pm is fine.

Gamestop has many horror stories, it has happened to me with a game before and I had to come back another day to get it.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Snuffman posted:

Off the top of my head:

- Harvest Moon
- Final Fantasy 2
- Secret of Evermore (debatable? I hated it, but some people really liked it)
- Soul Blazer
- Illusion of Gaia
- Terranigma
- Ogre Battle
- Lufia
- Lufia 2

The SNES was a great RPG system, and while that's reflected in what's on the SNES Classic (and it includes some of the best), it doesn't have all of the best.

Nice list. I'd also include:
Donkey Kong Country 2 & 3: DK2 improves just about every platforming element of DKC.
Mega Man 7: I rented this from Blockbuster and it got me into the Mega Man series.
Secret of the Stars: I will never finish it again, but I love this stupid, terrible RPG

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
There was some sort of robot fighting game, it was split screen and the robots had different forms of locomotion. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nail Rat posted:

-Xardion (not the greatest game but I have fond memories of this middling platformer)

I knew there had to be someone else that enjoyed Xardion.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

There was some sort of robot fighting game, it was split screen and the robots had different forms of locomotion. Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?

Metal Warriors 2 Player?

It wasn't explicitly a fighting game it had a lengthy single player thing but you could also fight in arenas for 2 player and the game had all sorts of mechs.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Snuffman posted:

This one is kind of a cult classic, and I don't think it's ever seen a rerelease, but it's a great Enix game

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

PneumonicBook posted:

I knew there had to be someone else that enjoyed Xardion.

RIP Panthera

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Takoluka posted:

RIP Panthera

It was bullshit that you couldn't keep all 4. If one had to die it should have been Triton. I have very strong feelings about this.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

PneumonicBook posted:

It was bullshit that you couldn't keep all 4. If one had to die it should have been Triton. I have very strong feelings about this.

Your feelings are not wrong.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Phantasium posted:

Metal Warriors 2 Player?

It wasn't explicitly a fighting game it had a lengthy single player thing but you could also fight in arenas for 2 player and the game had all sorts of mechs.

I never played single player, but this was my jam whenever netplay was added to emulators. Definitely worth checking out. You can get out of your mech and try to not get stomped.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I'll probably play SMW first, tbh. It's still one of my favorite games ever. I'm the one who has lots of feels about FF3/6, Earthbound, etc. My wife really doesn't. So SMW will be a game we can play together.

As far as games I'd add, the SNES classic lacks beat-em-ups. So I will add Final Fight 1, 2, and 3, Turtles in Time, Power Rangers and Power Rangers the Movie, Batman and Robin Animated Series, and probably a few others in addition to Lumia, Harvest Moon, Sim City, etc. I just hope I manage to get one after all this.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
If I can get one my plan of action is pretty much RPG binge. Mario RPG followed by EarthBound and then FF. I've had a hankering for Mario RPG really bad.m but I have yet to beat either earthbound or FF despite playing both on multiple occasions.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

the question I demand answered is why isn't there a 240p output option, nintendo answer my emails

it'll output at 720p for a perfect 3x integer scale factor you giant dweeb

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Spellman posted:

This one is kind of a cult classic, and I don't think it's ever seen a rerelease, but it's a great Enix game

I loved making all kinds of weird useless beasts and naming them.

I only managed to beat the game when I realized that MAN wasn't the best option against the final boss. A flying T-Rex was. :catholic:

EDIT: I'm genuinely curious: The NES classic controllers, those connectors look like they'd hook up to a wiimote. Do they?

Cause the SNES classic controllers look like they're the same connector and I really regret not scoring one of those Wii/Famicom Club Nintendo controllers back in the day (when they were going for cheap on eBay).

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 23, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

yeah they're exactly classic controllers, jist with less buttons

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PSA that they sell generic NES Classic Controller extenders on Amazon. There's plenty of two packs of 10ft cords for less than :10bux:.

Some of the negative reviews are people saying that one of the cords they got didn't work. I got some a few weeks ago and they seemed to work fine.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Detective No. 27 posted:

PSA that they sell generic NES Classic Controller extenders on Amazon. There's plenty of two packs of 10ft cords for less than :10bux:.

Some of the negative reviews are people saying that one of the cords they got didn't work. I got some a few weeks ago and they seemed to work fine.

On a side-note, if you get the ones that have a cheap cable hook on the connector you'll need to remove them with a screwdriver first or player two is getting the short controller.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ProjektorBoy posted:

3x integer scale factor

ProjektorBoy posted:

you giant dweeb

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004