Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm just puzzled as to why there needed to be a morality system for a game like Dishonored in the first place, where you are encouraged to make full use of your abilities and the environment to dispatch of enemies in successively creative ways. It's distracting then for the player to feel limited because they think they're nearing their quota of Too Many Bad Guys Killed to achieve Desired Goodness Result on the endscreen. As I said before, too video gamey in a title that doesn't really need it, and otherwise succeeds at building an immersive world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
Edit: new page

Bombadilillo posted:

You could live to be old and gray as a sex slave and that's still terrible

Yes I know that. I started this conversation asking if that was worse than another outcome which is quite barbaric but more explicitly so. I was just saying that if other people wanted to give this non-lethal ending a "good" spin because of something they read in the books or whatever, there's nothing in the game that specifically says there is definitely an eternity of horrible things going to happen to this person even if that is almost certainly how it works. The game does heavily lean on the side of "not good" so I don't doubt that it's a completely horrible outcome, and I don't care about the books enough to see what they actually say myself.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Nonlethal violence is bullshit and one of the worst things to happen to video games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I'm just puzzled as to why there needed to be a morality system for a game like Dishonored in the first place, where you are encouraged to make full use of your abilities and the environment to dispatch of enemies in successively creative ways. It's distracting then for the player to feel limited because they think they're nearing their quota of Too Many Bad Guys Killed to achieve Desired Goodness Result on the endscreen. As I said before, too video gamey in a title that doesn't really need it, and otherwise succeeds at building an immersive world.

I don't think a morality system needs to be in any game.

Just have the choices present and show consequences for them. Let the players feel bad/good for their choices by themselves.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

exquisite tea posted:

Like me and Bust Rodd said last page they got pressured into adding it in the last minute due to negative feedback (might be wrong because I can't find the article where I read it in)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

Just have choices and consequences for them. Let the players feel bad/good for their choices by themselves.

That's what Witcher 3 does.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Snak posted:

Nonlethal violence is bullshit and one of the worst things to happen to video games.

the morality system in dishonored is stupid and insanely lenient besides, but I like the nonlethal takedowns a lot

the masquerade party one was hosed up tho

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Snak posted:

That's what Witcher 3 does.

Yeah and it is definitely much better for it.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Sometimes I looked up a guide to see which choice in Witcher 3 would give me better loot

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Andrast posted:

Just have the choices present and show consequences for them. Let the players feel bad/good for them by themselves. No need for a +1 evil meter.

Yeah, and especially don't tie abilities to one team or another like we're all dying to role play as Jedi vs Sith.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Digirat posted:

The game doesn't split your actions into good and evil, it splits them into low chaos and high chaos which you're claiming is actually a moral binary when the game itself never calls it morality, and when there are low chaos actions that are arguably worse than high chaos ones. Samuel is just a character in the world and the fact that he thinks you're awful if you go full-on high chaos doesn't mean that every low chaos action is better than the corresponding high chaos action, or that the game itself even wants you to believe that. In fact it would be very hosed up if the game intended you to think you're doing a good thing if you go for the low chaos solution to level 4.

I feel like they were going for a "cruel but poetic justice" kind of theme with the low chaos options, and the result is that a lot of them are just disturbing.

I can see how, as a player you would feel that way and I feel the same. But I don't believe the chaos system presents itself as anything more than good/evil and it reinforces this a number of times throughout the game. Which is why it's a bad system that knocks the wind out of some interesting decisions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

What TW3 succeeds at is recognizing that most people in choice-based narratives want to be good, and so constructs many of its own decision points around scenarios where the most moral choice in the abstract is often the least humane.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Agreed.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lobok posted:

Yeah, and especially don't tie abilities to one team or another like we're all dying to role play as Jedi vs Sith.

Speaking of star wars, KOTOR 2 was really dumb about that. The whole game was about the light/dark side being loving bullshit but the gameplay still punishes you for making nuanced decisions by making you more powerful at the extremes.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

exquisite tea posted:

What TW3 succeeds at is recognizing that most people in choice-based narratives want to be good, and so constructs many of its own decision points around scenarios where the most moral choice in the abstract is often the least humane.

Best part about TW3's system is that you quickly learn you can't even trust your choice to work out in the long run. You might do the good thing in the moment but it ends up biting you in the rear end later.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Lobok posted:

Best part about TW3's system is that you quickly learn you can't even trust your choice to work out in the long run. You might do the good thing in the moment but it ends up biting you in the rear end later.

If not done well though these decision points can transform into the particular Telltale brand of "that thing you didn't want to happen happened anyway 5 minutes later."

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I mostly play Dishonored as if it’s Thief 3. So I never got into the high chaos world. I thought that the more enemies and rats was a kind of reward for high chaos players because there was more to kill and a bunch of skills that used rat piles? But never looked into it.

Binary morality system suck. The closest to being acceptable was Mass Effect because that was always a game about being a world savior but were you more of a Dirty Harry or a Buzz Lightyear about it? I liked Fallout 1’s reputation system where different towns would have different opinions of you and new towns might or might not have heard of who,you are. Skyrim sort of does this in a ham handed way by changing AI barks depending on what you do to the world but that often just highlights how insane it is that you can be head of the Mage’s Guild and a lowlife Thief and a Landholding Lord all in one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

More than anything the chaos system, and all good/bad/light/dark systems aren't good because it encourages players to do a "run" where they they are shooting for a specific result instead of playing to their own instincts, making it gamey in a way that makes people feel detached from their avatar.

Moral choices should either have a notable impact on the story or be interesting enough that the decision on its own adds to the experience. The Lady Boyle example would be much more interesting if it wasn't ticking off an invisible box somewhere. Because, even if you feel like the low chaos option is more cruel, statistically you'll be inclined to take it if you are shooting for low chaos (yes I know you can kill some marks and get low chaos, but that is still how the system works)

And I'm not sure why anyone would not call it binary when it's the definition of it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I didn't mind the chaos state in Dishonored in the sense that it changed the world some and made dialogue systems different, but I do wish that I didn't have to sit through a lecture by the Outside about what a bad, bad boy I was. The fact that he is a Real God that gives people powers and sees what they do with them is cool and interesting, but having him then go "SO YOU LIKE BLOOD EH" is annoying.

It gives you piles of stuff to kill with and then slaps your hand whenever you actually use them. It's MGSV all over again.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I played Dishonored 1 in low chaos because for once, and as a bad stealth player, I could kill a bunch of guys without being a serial killer. I never got good in Thief games and Dishonored was a bit more lenient when it comes to fix a gently caress up.

The game is rad and is the only thing I care. I still have a high chaos replay pending wich I think it'll be faster.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The big takeaway I had from Witcher 3's choices is that I have terrible parenting skills.

For the most part I liked how CD Projekt handled the choices in the game because it rejects the just-world hypothesis that almost all games with morality systems subscribe to and reinforce. The outcomes of your decisions seem almost arbitrary if you take them from a "video game" perspective where you are used to having perfect information about the situation (Witcher Sense even reinforces this, only to be undercut over and over) and games where moral agents with perfect information who make good decisions produce good outcomes. Witcher 3 doesn't believe in that and even if your actions do not produce the results you want them to, the chain of events is almost always reasonable from a psychological and social perspective, often because of information that Geralt and/or the player doesn't have access to. So in the gameworld of optimal outcomes it can seem bad, but in a narrative world of quagmires and realpolitik it all gels together.

I mean, I still used a guide to make sure I got the ending I wanted, but still.

Edit: gently caress, I really should play the expansions!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The big takeaway I had from Witcher 3's choices is that I have terrible parenting skills.

For the most part I liked how CD Projekt handled the choices in the game because it rejects the just-world hypothesis that almost all games with morality systems subscribe to and reinforce. The outcomes of your decisions seem almost arbitrary if you take them from a "video game" perspective where you are used to having perfect information about the situation (Witcher Sense even reinforces this, only to be undercut over and over) and games where moral agents with perfect information who make good decisions produce good outcomes. Witcher 3 doesn't believe in that and even if your actions do not produce the results you want them to, the chain of events is almost always reasonable from a psychological and social perspective, often because of information that Geralt and/or the player doesn't have access to. So in the gameworld of optimal outcomes it can seem bad, but in a narrative world of quagmires and realpolitik it all gels together.

I mean, I still used a guide to make sure I got the ending I wanted, but still.

Edit: gently caress, I really should play the expansions!

I first encountered this one dealing with the Crones. I thought that helping the Heart of the Forest would be the "most good" option, but no, The Bloody Baron's wife is a Water Hag forever, and the whole village by the bog gets wiped out, but at least the children are supposedly safe

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Iron Crowned posted:

I first encountered this one dealing with the Crones. I thought that helping the Heart of the Forest would be the "most good" option, but no, The Bloody Baron's wife is a Water Hag forever, and the whole village by the bog gets wiped out, but at least the children are supposedly safe

That was almost Army of 2:2 levels of terrible twists to put your decision on its head.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Andrast posted:

Speaking of star wars, KOTOR 2 was really dumb about that. The whole game was about the light/dark side being loving bullshit but the gameplay still punishes you for making nuanced decisions by making you more powerful at the extremes.

"nuance" Kotor was pet puppy / kick puppy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

"nuance" Kotor was pet puppy / kick puppy

Have you played kotor 2?

It is really well written.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

i'd rather they didn't

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Y'all ready for Nier Card Battle Kiwami Gaiden Zero.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
I honestly thought that High chaos in dishonored was too difficult to get to as I was getting to my objective killing the guards in my path but still not having enough kills to move into high chaos. I had to actively stop and backtrack through the levels and look for more people to kill to reach that point.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

At least in D2 combat becomes trivial as soon as you get the bullet reflect ability. At that point you just hold guard until they whiff and then stab them in the face. Even the clockwork soldiers are laughably easy if you can take their heads off.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
One thing that action games need to stop loving up is giving me morally ambiguous bad guys. Deus Ex: Human Revolution pits you against terrorists and PMC's the whole game, hired killers who are consistently portrayed as murderous bigots.

But then in Deus Ex: Mankind Divided the whole game has you fighting like cops (some of whom might be corrupt) and security guards (who work for someone that you are trying to reason with) and like occasionally some mafia tough guys. I don't get to go ham on them because they feel like innocent bystanders and not like they deserve it.

I can't really enjoy video games where its predicated on killing innocent people. I'm the guy that drives on the road in Grand Theft Auto.

Dishonored gives you the perspective of "Everyone is in on this grand conspiracy" so it was easy for me to flit past the guards but enact bloody vengeance on all the key players.

This is honestly part of why Wolfenstein and DOOM are so successful, because they are both full of satisfying-to-shoot enemies.

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

It gives you piles of stuff to kill with and then slaps your hand whenever you actually use them. It's MGSV all over again.

MGSV doesn't do that at all though? If you're talking about rankings, the easiest way to get S-ranks is actually to sprint through missions as fast as possible killing everyone in sight...and if you're talking about the Demon Snake stuff, that requires you to murder a ridiculous amount of dudes and has little to no impact on the game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

you can murder the gently caress out of some cops in human revolution though

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Adam Vegas posted:

MGSV doesn't do that at all though? If you're talking about rankings, the easiest way to get S-ranks is actually to sprint through missions as fast as possible killing everyone in sight...and if you're talking about the Demon Snake stuff, that requires you to murder a ridiculous amount of dudes and has little to no impact on the game.

S rank, sure, but the Mother Base mechanic is all about non-lethal captures. You can cut a swath of blood across the map but all you are going to get out of it is some BP

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the game isn't slapping your hand for that

also mgs5 came out years after dishonored so you're getting your misplaced comparison backwards

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Brother Entropy posted:

you can murder the gently caress out of some cops in human revolution though

Is funny because I tried to stealth in the police station at the start of the game and I ended being Terminator. Best thing is that I walked out of there like nothing happened.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
In "gameplay-centric" games, I (usually) prefer the moral clarity of goomba stompin.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Although I do wish they'd redone the Night Trap video in full HD, it does look much better than the sub-SD quality of the previous versions and I still highly recommend it. I found out that although the game was first released in 1992, it was filmed in 1987 which explains a lot. So drat cheesy. The bonus features are just icing on the cake.

My only complaint is the long load time when starting the game. I'm guessing that it loads the entirety of the video into the PS4's RAM. Maybe that's why they didn't redo the video in HD? Not enough RAM in the PS4?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

I like deus ex because you can role play your guy. And how you want to be means sometimes you say " well these guys don't deserve to die" and try to nonlethal.

If that shallow level of player narrative is getting in the way of your gameplay. Deus Ex might not be for you

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like the morality of Yakuza games, act like a dick, get hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I like the morality of Yakuza games, act like a dick, get hit

To be fair with Yakuza it's more like "act like a dick get a bunch of rusty nails literally shoved into your eyes."

Edit: Nonlethally though.