Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Is there a way to hide the announcements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Complain to Lowtax.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I don't see announcements on my iPhone and never have. I'm still on iOS10. Is that an ios11/iPad only issue?

pliable
Sep 26, 2003

this is what u get for "180 x 180 avatars"

this is what u fucking get u bithc
Fun Shoe
Just wanted to say thank you! This app is p cool. I'm still on iOS 10 and it's working quite well.

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

BeOSPOS posted:

Quoting this just as an example ^

I'm noticing that the app on iOS11 is adding in extra quotes around the name and post number when quoting a post and causing the quote wrapper to look weird

nm turns out it was just smart punctuation keyboard settings in iOS :shrug:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BeOSPOS posted:

nm turns out it was just smart punctuation keyboard settings in iOS :shrug:

The latest update should turn off smart punctuation in the app. Not sure if it's out yet since I use the debug ver.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010
just a minor issue - my av doesn't show up in the awful app at all. Tried clearing the cache but it doesn't make a difference. I've maybe seen one or two other people with the same issue but don't remember their usernames.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PinkoBastard posted:

just a minor issue - my av doesn't show up in the awful app at all. Tried clearing the cache but it doesn't make a difference. I've maybe seen one or two other people with the same issue but don't remember their usernames.

Yours seems larger than usual--do you remember if the others you have seen were also bigger avs?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

PinkoBastard posted:

Crime on a Dime posted:

The avatar for forums user PinkoBastard doesn't render at all. Latest iOS, iPhone 7+

;)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It shows up if you go to their profile.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

carry on then posted:

The latest update should turn off smart punctuation in the app. Not sure if it's out yet since I use the debug ver.

The app updated for me this morning, and it was doing the smart punctuation thing after I installed iOS 11.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
I'm still locked out of the app, despite reinstalling and resetting/ changing my password and copy/pasting it into the password field, any ideas?

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

anthonypants posted:

It shows up if you go to their profile.

This is true. But not useful

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Crime on a Dime posted:

This is true. But not useful
Maybe not for you and I, but if there's a way to parse profile pictures in the same way for each page, I'm sure the fine folks at Awful.app, Inc. can figure it out.

But it's probably that the image doesn't begin with "https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/" or "https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/title-" so the app assumes it's a gang tag and ignores it.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

anthonypants posted:

Maybe not for you and I, but if there's a way to parse profile pictures in the same way for each page, I'm sure the fine folks at Awful.app, Inc. can figure it out.

But it's probably that the image doesn't begin with "https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/" or "https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/title-" so the app assumes it's a gang tag and ignores it.

Ah, good work goon!

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

carry on then posted:

Yours seems larger than usual--do you remember if the others you have seen were also bigger avs?

Sorry, I cant remember.

my dude :respek:

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

anthonypants posted:

oh man, thanks

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

[quote="“anthonypants”" post="“476606082”"]
Maybe not for you and I, but if there’s a way to parse profile pictures in the same way for each page, I’m sure the fine folks at Awful.app, Inc. can figure it out.

But it’s probably that the image doesn’t begin with “https://fi.somethingawful.com/safs/titles/%93 or “https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/title-%93 so the app assumes it’s a gang tag and ignores it.
[/quote]

Even if it's not the url specifically that's doing it, there's most likely some minuscule difference that's throwing off the parser.

It's been a long time since I looked at that code, but trying to pick out avatars vs custom titles vs gang tags from the forums html is tricky because there's not actually any difference between these things as far as the forums are concerned. It's all just one block of html that can theoretically contain anything.

It shows up on the profile page because we don't actually have to parse it out in there. We just re-use the same html the forums give us, no matter what combination of images and text it contains.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Have you guys been having any trouble with the filter by icon thing?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Announcements are continuously showing up as unread despite viewing them. Any way to either shut off badges for announcements or persist that I've viewed them?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

carry on then posted:

I keep trying things and they keep failing. Definitely still getting curly quotes sometimes on the latest beta.

yaffle posted:

I'm still locked out of the app, despite reinstalling and resetting/ changing my password and copy/pasting it into the password field, any ideas?

I can't think of what it might be. You mentioned before that you can log in via the same network connection on a desktop. What about if you use Safari on the device that has Awful installed?

anthonypants posted:

Something like this. Probably won't be hard to fix, just gotta get in there.

Over There posted:

Have you guys been having any trouble with the filter by icon thing?

What kind of trouble? (Yes, but tell me more in case there's several kinds of trouble!)

Blinkz0rz posted:

Announcements are continuously showing up as unread despite viewing them. Any way to either shut off badges for announcements or persist that I've viewed them?

I did something silly that could cause this to happen on a 3.27 beta, fixed as of beta 3. Any chance you're on an old beta? Store build should be ok too.

To actually answer your question, it should remember that you viewed them. There's no setting, you're not missing anything.

I might end up adding a setting though, because there isn't really any good way to tell the difference between announcements. For example, if there's two announcements yesterday and the first one gets removed today, I think Awful will mark the second one as unread because "the announcement now at position 1 has different contents from the announcement that used to be at position 1". I tried to do something reasonable but maybe reasonable is more than we can hope for.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

pokeyman posted:

I can't think of what it might be. You mentioned before that you can log in via the same network connection on a desktop. What about if you use Safari on the device that has Awful installed?

Yep, works fine :(

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

pokeyman posted:

I did something silly that could cause this to happen on a 3.27 beta, fixed as of beta 3. Any chance you're on an old beta? Store build should be ok too.

To actually answer your question, it should remember that you viewed them. There's no setting, you're not missing anything.

I might end up adding a setting though, because there isn't really any good way to tell the difference between announcements. For example, if there's two announcements yesterday and the first one gets removed today, I think Awful will mark the second one as unread because "the announcement now at position 1 has different contents from the announcement that used to be at position 1". I tried to do something reasonable but maybe reasonable is more than we can hope for.

I'm on the store build and it happened 3 times then just stopped. Who knows :shrug:

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Since updating to iOS11 I've noticed the nav bar on my iPad Pro 12.9 renders the icons and text side by side instead of stacked like before.

Check it out:

e: it seems to render correctly if I disable autohide in landscape mode - still incorrect on portrait mode with the same setting though.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 22, 2017

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

spanky the dolphin posted:

Since updating to iOS11 I've noticed the nav bar on my iPad Pro 12.9 renders the icons and text side by side instead of stacked like before.

Check it out:

e: it seems to render correctly if I disable autohide in landscape mode - still incorrect on portrait mode with the same setting though.

I'm real mad at Apple about it.

carry on then posted:

Now that iOS 11 is out, I'll mention that the issue with the Forums, Bookmarks, etc buttons on iPads in portrait is a known issue. It's a bug in UIKit somewhere but Apple never responded to my report, so we'll have to replace the tab view entirely with something else to fix it unless they manage to figure it out soon.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

can we get announcements to not sit at the top of the forums list constantly

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
skimmed through a few pages but my quoting looks like this

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
iOS 11 But looked this way before upgrading

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

serious norman posted:

skimmed through a few pages but my quoting looks like this

lol

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Toggle off Smart Punctuation manually in Settings: General > Keyboard. I guess Awful.app's attempt to disable it just for their app doesn't quite work yet.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

carry on then posted:

I'm real mad at Apple about it.

How about as a hack we remove the text from those icons instead of doing a huge recode? It might even make for a better look.

Current users will be familiar with the meaning of all the icons. New users know what bookmarks, mail and settings mean from other apps. Forums is fairly obvious, lepers isn't, but hit it once and you'd get it.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

iphone 7 on ios 11

the errors for image upload no longer have an ok button so i have to force quit to regain control

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

spanky the dolphin posted:

How about as a hack we remove the text from those icons instead of doing a huge recode? It might even make for a better look.

Current users will be familiar with the meaning of all the icons. New users know what bookmarks, mail and settings mean from other apps. Forums is fairly obvious, lepers isn't, but hit it once and you'd get it.

The problem is it's all wrapped up in the completely untouchable UITabBar class inside a UITabViewController. Ordinarily I'd just get in there and crowbar in a UITraitCollection.compact which would fix it so it displays properly, but everything is private and get-only and bleh, so that won't work. I believe stripping the labels altogether is similarly impossible without ripping the thing out entirely, which is basically where we are at now.

It's an interesting idea, but not really any faster than what we have to do anyway.

The real problem isn't necessarily the tab bar, but the tabBarController. Maybe I'll try doing away with that and seeing what I can do.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Casual Encountess posted:

iphone 7 on ios 11

the errors for image upload no longer have an ok button so i have to force quit to regain control

Yeah, I had that last night, very annoying.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I don't really need a red number indicating that Lowtax has announced that he will be in Chicago this weekend :shobon:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I had that last night, very annoying.

Off-topic, but what thread is that?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Magnus Praeda posted:

Off-topic, but what thread is that?

The Orville thread in TVIV.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't really need a red number indicating that Lowtax has announced that he will be in Chicago this weekend :shobon:
Blame Lowtax for indiscriminately using Announcements for both serious forums stuff and also his vacation plans, then

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

also why does it not let me upload anything originally from the phone? i have to manually paste in any images from the camera or screenshots. if i do it from the library and it's not something from the phone it works fine but if it's a photo i took or a screenshot it just shits itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Just wanted to say thank you to the developers for continuing to maintain this app.

• Locked thread