Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

I smoked pot with Willy Sessions! It was me, Willy Sessions, and Sloan Kettering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
weed and games go together as well as alchohol and games.

Until you get too high and just vague out.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I don't think I've ever felt alcohol was an improvement to the videogaming experience

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Macarius Wrench posted:

I don't think I've ever felt alcohol was an improvement to the videogaming experience

It tastes good. Though I am trying to drink less.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

oddium posted:

hello is it pii-cross or pick-ross

pic as in picture
cross as in crossword

:shrug:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It could still be "PICK-ross" or "Pih-CROSS"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I can't play games drunk, the concentration just isn't there

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Nina posted:

I love every time the path takes me there again. Kingdom's Edge also has a really lovely ambience with the snowfall and the violin BGM.

That's not snow, it's molted skin from the giant Wyrm husk at the top of KE wherein the coliseum is built.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really can't understand the PUBG phenomenon. I tried watching several streamers play it but its so boring to watch because of how much downtime between action there is.

I get why it could be fun to play if you like FPS games but I don't get why it exploded over Twitch.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Have you ever taken a look at the list of top games on twitch

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

financial success is entirely arbitrary and has nothing whatsoever to do with effort or merit

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Really Pants posted:

financial success is entirely arbitrary and has nothing whatsoever to do with effort or merit

pubg is good

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

going by the pubg thread a good third of the population is people afking for loot boxes ala the glory days of tf2 hats so there's that to consider

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Andrast posted:

pubg is good

both statements can be true

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In Japanese Picross is pi-ku-ro-su so it is pee-cross. If it was meant to be pic-cross it would have a double consonant k.

Argument settled I hope to never hear about it again. Also burn everyone who pronounces "tate" as "tayt."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

al-azad posted:

In Japanese Picross is pi-ku-ro-su so it is pee-cross. If it was meant to be pic-cross it would have a double consonant k.

Argument settled I hope to never hear about it again. Also burn everyone who pronounces "tate" as "tayt."

I agree in principle but I will fight anyone who pronounces Tidus as Tee-dus.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In French it's pronounced "Pah-REE", please stop calling it "PAH-riss". Thank you.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

picross the boss

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

going by the pubg thread a good third of the population is people afking for loot boxes ala the glory days of tf2 hats so there's that to consider

Loot boxes are cancer.

I can see the appeal of the tension in a pubg game and playing with a group, though it probably wouldn't hold my interest. Being able to hop right into a new game after dying instead of having to watch the rest also helps it immensely.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I agree in principle but I will fight anyone who pronounces Tidus as Tee-dus.
They say "Tie-dus" is KH2 so that's what I go by. :colbert:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

In French it's pronounced "Pah-REE", please stop calling it "PAH-riss". Thank you.

I have seen literal fist fights over Carnegie and Houston.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

al-azad posted:

The Tate Modern Warfare is a pretty rad museum

Edit: OK my autocomplete knows too much, I'm just gonna leave it like that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can grok the theoretical appeal of PUBG; Battle Royale is a cool movie. But the way it's implemented is so flat and sterile of an experience.

Like, if a single "game" of PUBG took days or weeks to play out, on a map that's entirely to scale (so it would take actual days to walk across it, and 5 or 10 hours to drive across it), requiring people to either stay awake indefinitely or find actual safe spots to "sleep", and be as complex as imaginable - you can track people, you can do wild things like dig a pit trap, etc - it would be fundamentally amazing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

precision posted:

I can grok the theoretical appeal of PUBG; Battle Royale is a cool movie. But the way it's implemented is so flat and sterile of an experience.

Like, if a single "game" of PUBG took days or weeks to play out, on a map that's entirely to scale (so it would take actual days to walk across it, and 5 or 10 hours to drive across it), requiring people to either stay awake indefinitely or find actual safe spots to "sleep", and be as complex as imaginable - you can track people, you can do wild things like dig a pit trap, etc - it would be fundamentally amazing.

It would also be entirely unpopulated.

The ability to hop quickly into and out of games is a major factor in PUBG's success.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

precision posted:

I remember Alterac Valley.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I always figured PUBG's success was capitalizing on how everyone actually played DayZ.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

precision posted:

that sounds like the epitome of an insanely ambitious game that isn't even remotely fun to play and would at worst, totally loving leave you fried from playing it, and at best, be entirely unmanageable for literally anyone who has to do any amount of work

hell, i have days worth of free time and i cannot even loving imagine trying to play a game like that. that seriously just sounds like an entire game of the worst parts of these kinds of games

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

crysis had a mode kinda like that, big battlefield battle over like a 3 day period or something. no one played it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

precision posted:

this sounds like every lovely MMO that was ever destroyed by griefing, only more so

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Colonel posted:

that sounds like the epitome of an insanely ambitious game that isn't even remotely fun to play and would at worst, totally loving leave you fried from playing it, and at best, be entirely unmanageable for literally anyone who has to do any amount of work

hell, i have days worth of free time and i cannot even loving imagine trying to play a game like that. that seriously just sounds like an entire game of the worst parts of these kinds of games

yeah but consider: aren't there people who currently do play PUBG for literally weeks at a time and only take breaks to sleep?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's a very good reason pubg has mechanics in place entirely to make it so people can't just be scattered around its huge map

precision posted:

yeah but consider: aren't there people who currently do play PUBG for literally weeks at a time and only take breaks to sleep?

there are people like that for any online game. it doesn't mean those people would play a game where literally nothing happens for weeks

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, I'm obviously not saying it's something anyone would play more than like once a year, I just like when insane ideas are really committed to.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

credburn posted:

IN20R-V2J7R-V0C9R

Outlast for Steam. It's free on the Humble Bundle store. Turns out I had it (but not its DLC, which is also free on the store, but this key is just for the game)

I took this, since somehow nobody grabbed it! I'm not sure what kind of game Outlast even is but I'll give it a fair shake.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Colonel posted:

there are people like that for any online game. it doesn't mean those people would play a game where literally nothing happens for weeks

If the map wasn't always a "known thing", exploring would be "something happening".

I'm just saying, like, it'd be kinda cool. Maybe once we are able to harness the brain's capability for time dilation (when you have a dream that "lasts" days, eg)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I took this, since somehow nobody grabbed it! I'm not sure what kind of game Outlast even is but I'll give it a fair shake.

It's a first person horror game where you get chased around a mental facility by naked beefcakes and the DLC has a villain who cuts penises off to make men his brides.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wasn't MAG (MASSIVE ACTION GAME) kind of a PUBG thing with hundreds of players

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

al-azad posted:

It's a first person horror game where you get chased around a mental facility by naked beefcakes and the DLC has a villain who cuts penises off to make men his brides.

sounds like i made the right decision

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

Wasn't MAG (MASSIVE ACTION GAME) kind of a PUBG thing with hundreds of players

Nah, it was basically Battlefield but they segmented the maps so they could make a bullet point of having hundreds "simultaneously" play.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
let's all take a moment to admire this classic excerpt from atari history

Fight For Life wikipedia page posted:

In 1994, Atari hired Sega AM2 programmer Francois Bertrand to work on a 3D Fighting game for the Jaguar. Bertrand's previous experience was in developing the camera and collision systems for Sega's Virtua Fighter polygon fighter, and he served as the lead (and only) programmer on Fight for Life.

During development, Atari pushed the deadline for the game's completion further and further forward, to the point where they were giving away review copies mere months into development, and giving Bertrand no extra facilities to help finish the game. Because the review copies did not contain a finished build of the game, it sparked negative publicity for Atari, prompting them to hold back Bertrand's wages for four months. As a result, when the game was due to be completed in December 1995, Bertrand gave Atari an incomplete build of the game to release, stating that he'd give them the finished product once he was given the back payments owed to him. Atari refused and released the unfinished build.

Atari released the game in 1996. Fight for Life was the first and only 3D fighting game to appear on the Jaguar console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's amazing how many stories there are of Atari shooting itself in the foot while trying to get ahead of someone else. every time i thought i've heard them all there's another one

• Locked thread