Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dzhay posted:

As you mentioned it: what's the Sonic (or Megadrive/Genesis game generally) rom-hacking scene like?

It seems like it would be harder to make good levels, just from a design perspective.

I haven't paid much attention to the Sonic scene, but I'm lead to believe that they've completely disassembled the Genesis ROMs, so the only real limits are the inventiveness and determination of the hackers.

The main thing about Sonic level design is that it is rife with blind jumps due to the speed the characters travel at. Making those jumps not be safe would be a sin roughly equivalent to having a trail of rings leading into a pit or spikes in a Mario hack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

In general, a lot less stuff actually comes out but a lot of it is of a high quality. Since there's no real community centered around hacking a single game in the series it ends up a little spread out as well.

It -is- fairly difficult to make levels in the context of design, let alone actual tools. Only recently have there been real efforts to make lunar magic usable tools for genesis Sonic hacking. This is why so many hacks are mechanics based or new characters (Sonic 2 XL edition, Yoshi in Sonic 2, Sonic 3 Complete, etc)

A lot of the hackers are also old school ASM hackers so there's less of a push for that kind of hacks in the Sonic community. A lot of that goes into fangames instead, though overhaul hacks with new level design -do- exist... They just tend to take a VERY long time to come out.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Most of the few notable complete overhauls of classic sonic games were done by the people who ended up working on Sonic Mania. And several of those were necessarily abandoned when they were tapped for such work.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I believe that Freedom Planet also started as a Sonic hack.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

That mushroom that popped out at 5:05 was a really clever trap.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I believe that Freedom Planet also started as a Sonic hack.

There are plenty of sonic fangames that aren't actual romhacks of Sonic. As far as sonic romhacks, I still think Yoshi in Sonic 2 is rather impressive, particularly as they inserted Sonic Advance 3's special stage whole hog, too.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
There is Sonic 3 Complete. It's Sonic 3 & Knuckles hacked together so you can play the acts in their original intended order on top of playing the final Sonic levels as Knuckles.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

There is Sonic 3 Complete. It's Sonic 3 & Knuckles hacked together so you can play the acts in their original intended order on top of playing the final Sonic levels as Knuckles.

Wait Sonic 3 levels followed by S&K levels isn't the intended order?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mak0rz posted:

There's so many conspiracy theories about every aspect of sonic 3s development so I'm not shocked there's one about level order too.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_3_Complete#Zone_Order_Restoration

quote:

Zone Order Restoration

It is commonly understood that Flying Battery Zone was originally intended to be played between Carnival Night and Icecap, but was moved around late in the development of Sonic 3. Sonic 3 Complete features an option to restore it to that position, with a suitably altered night sky, and a further optional change to the indoor colour scheme to match the unused save screen icon from Sonic 3 (which has also been restored). When moving from Flying Battery to Icecap, the snowboard sequence involves the broken exit door from Flying Battery, as was once planned. Mushroom Hill also takes its name from the Sonic 3 level select, Mushroom Valley, and a new transition takes you from there straight to Sandopolis if Flying Battery is moved away from its normal position.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I love how fan patches always assume developers move stuff around for arcane and wrong reasons rather than just because the devs thought it worked better that way.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sonic 3's development was rushed though, that's why it was split up in the first place. Wouldn't be surprised if they hadn't finished Flying Battery yet, or had to pick one to take out to make the halves more even.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Also those are just options the player can choose to enable. You can leave the game unaltered if you wish.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

:siren: FF6 Rando Part 33 - Jack's Back :siren:

It's almost time to re-establish the rules of nature in the world of FF6. We finished up all the extraneous goodies on the world of ruin, so now I'm going to have to start planning out how I want to tackle Kefka's tower. I don't want to do it, but it has to be this way.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Screw all y'all for poo poo talking force field, several WoR boss strats in my seed consisted of "Sandbag until force field hits the element the boss is spamming so that it stops crushing me into paste."

Also, since rippler came up, I encountered something kind of weird: if my spoiler file is to be believed, the randomizer is capable of giving enemies innate interceptor status, but using rippler on these enemies doesn't appear to transfer it to you. The randomizer definitely didn't "fix" rippler, because one of the enemies I was testing on also has innate critical, and that still transferred just fine, so I'm not sure what's up.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Well that's, uh, interesting. Turns out our buddy Fabr from the World of Balance triangle island also had innate interceptor. The things we'd know if I paid any attention :v:

Speaking of me being unable to hold my attention anywhere important for too long, it may have been prudent to mention that FeyerbrandX is going on vacation soonish. That means we're taking a two-week break from posting updates! I swear I didn't plan on doing this immediately before Kefka's tower! Really though, Feyer was actually pushing me to get more recorded so we could take care of commentary and finish this up before he left, but I'm a lazy shitter, so that didn't quite work out.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Samurai Jack, back to the past

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's actually nowhere near as bad as the title makes it sound but there is one unfortunately glitchy part that sucks to run into.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That was a very creative level that looked pretty fun but man, those were some deaths.

The fireball following tile 1fo was hilarious though.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Kirby music best videogame music

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

If you're pessimistic about the outcome of VLDCX, is there a compilation or hack you would recommend if this has me craving some SMW?

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
What was up with the time bonus at the end of that level? It went from zero to something in the thousands and kept calculating after it faded to the overworld screen.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Spookyelectric posted:

What was up with the time bonus at the end of that level? It went from zero to something in the thousands and kept calculating after it faded to the overworld screen.

I think it's an overflow of sorts. Looks like the time bonus is a 16-bit value which means it can only go as high as 65,535, which is where it starts counting down after it wraps around again.

467 x 50 certainly isn't more than 65535 though so I have no idea what's happening there.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
This level contains some graphic cursing, so I must kindly ask that all children to either leave this thread now or be reading it with a legal guardian.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #7: Pals, we must not grow old in our Pyramids
(Heavy Sigh, jspades, and Great Joe)

Meanwhile, in hard mode, we ask a simple question: How many bullets can you fit onscreen at once?

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #7: Pharoah of Fillmore
(Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Jspades, Shinryu, and Word on the Wind)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Mak0rz posted:

I think it's an overflow of sorts. Looks like the time bonus is a 16-bit value which means it can only go as high as 65,535, which is where it starts counting down after it wraps around again.

467 x 50 certainly isn't more than 65535 though so I have no idea what's happening there.

No level in SMW has more than 400 seconds, so my guess is that the game just doesn't know how to properly count down anything over 400 since the timer will never go that high. Reminder that SMW is held together with tape and wishes.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Heavy Sigh posted:

This level contains some graphic cursing, so I must kindly ask that all children to either leave this thread now or be reading it with a legal guardian.
Though it's not nearly so pronounced, Minus Infinity seems to have the same issue as with CX in that the hack's author had "make something that looks cool" as a higher priority than "make something that's designed well". At least here gimmicks like Pharaoh Man's curses aren't so much "this is actively stupid" but more "...why did we need this?".

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Are all the music tracks from other games? This is the only one I recognized aside from the Pokemon jingle you hear after finishing a stage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mak0rz posted:

Are all the music tracks from other games? This is the only one I recognized aside from the Pokemon jingle you hear after finishing a stage.

Bright Man's music was an F-Zero track too, so yeah, pretty sure they're all lifted from other sources. It's a hell of a lot easier than composing your own music for a fan project.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I see Hard Mode Pharaoh Man is based on everyone's favourite franchise about ancient Egypt.

Touhou.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Blaze Dragon posted:

I see Hard Mode Pharaoh Man is based on everyone's favourite franchise about ancient Egypt.

Touhou.

There are bullet hell shooters other than Touhou.

Anyways, the game spams even more bullets than that in the fortress levels.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Ephraim225 posted:

There are bullet hell shooters other than Touhou.

Yeah but those bursting and bouncing ball patterns were very characteristic of Touhou.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Mak0rz posted:

Literally every song is from another game, though iirc there are some other Mega Man songs.

The stage select is Ripple Star's stage select from Kirby 64.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
And the boss theme is a faster version of Off To War, the "Danger encoming" dialogue music in Fire Emblem 3/12. It's a weird choice, but it works surprisingly well as a boss tune.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat
~Slip'n'slide down the drain, and find yourself in a world of pain~

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity #8: Oh, toads
(Heavy Sigh, jspades, and Great Joe)

Meanwhile, in Hard Mode, Toad Man somehow managed to accumulate more junk than Dust Man.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Hard Mode #8: For the Toad the Bell Tolls
(Heavy Sigh, Combat Lobster, Jspades, Shinryu, and Word on the Wind)

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tyty posted:

Literally every song is from another game, though iirc there are some other Mega Man songs.

The stage select is Ripple Star's stage select from Kirby 64.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ah, good to know. It's usually easy to recognize music used in mods and whatnot because people tend to rely the most popular tracks.

Also: :lol:

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Mak0rz posted:

Ah, good to know. It's usually easy to recognize music used in mods and whatnot because people tend to rely the most popular tracks.

There's actually a page somewhere with all the sources and a couple people that uploaded music "videos" of all the ports/demakes to YouTube and the like but I won't link unless asked because of the obvious Spoilers factor. Minus Infinity has a lot of weird and cool stuff left in it to show.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Mak0rz posted:

I'm confused why was he probed?

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

hanales posted:

I'm confused why was he probed?

If you read his rap sheet the probe reason is "typing too loudly". Sensible chuckle fodder made from the latest video with him in it!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The perils of mechanical keyboards during these mechanics-heavy times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The Rush Marinejet is clearly a Rush Surfboard.

• Locked thread