Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Wiz did you name a pirate ship No Refunds as a funny dig at Star Citizen lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm glad that Rogue Servitors are both good and cool. They're a neat concept.

Off the top of my head I only know the ship from WALL.E as an example of one, anyone more versed in sci-fi able to list other examples? I'm curious about them now.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I haven't played for quite a while- have they fixed missiles and fighters yet? How are invasions?

Also, since this is the Synth update, how have they done on this front? Can we at least build multiple Pops at the same time? Or am Is till going to have to wait a billion years for my 25 square world to be populated by my robots?

RobotDogPolice
Dec 1, 2016
Another newbie question. How do I establish good relationships early on?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I'm glad that Rogue Servitors are both good and cool. They're a neat concept.

Off the top of my head I only know the ship from WALL.E as an example of one, anyone more versed in sci-fi able to list other examples? I'm curious about them now.

The Culture from Iain Banks's books are basically that kind of thing.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

RobotDogPolice posted:

Another newbie question. How do I establish good relationships early on?

Sign Non Aggression Pacts with your would be friends, once Trust builds or you find a common rival/threat, scale up into Defensive Pacts or Federations.

real talk: probably don't. Pretty much every diplomatic relationship with any AI is more of a burden than a benefit, so just pick Inward Perfection.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The Culture from Iain Banks's books are basically that kind of thing.

the Culture is big on the whole personal freedom thing though.

the trope is old and there are tons of examples.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComputerIsYourFriend

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

CommissarMega posted:

Also, since this is the Synth update, how have they done on this front? Can we at least build multiple Pops at the same time? Or am Is till going to have to wait a billion years for my 25 square world to be populated by my robots?

You can queue them up all at once (if you have the minerals) but they still build one at a time.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Can't you shovel them in from other planets? It'll cost some influenca but it'll be much faster for twenty planets to build one pop than for one planet to build twenty.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Can you use a specific color of a portrait to signify a species template? Like can I use the red model of my robot to signify the research guys and the yellow model for mining? It would be super handy and not require me to mouseover every one. I guess you can use the different models of robot portrait but that's a lovely solution honestly.

Like I guess this could be fixed with a mod that removes the variants from the randomizer and just makes them individual versions that you can pick in the portrait window. I might have to try that at some point.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 22, 2017

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Relevant Tangent posted:

I've given two species the infinite expanse of the stars only to a decade later explain very firmly that actually they'd be better off if they stayed home and watched television. Rogue Servitors own.

I've turned around five primitive species into biological power sources because apparently the plot to The Matrix made sense, and also my organic neighbours seem weirdly okay with this development.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Fintilgin posted:

Huh. Makes me think a cute 'extra difficulty' alt-start mod would be something where you start with a few pops on a 'desert' terraformed Mars, and Earth is a tomb world.

Oooh, that would also be a great idea! Although perhaps a half-terraformed Mars should be Tundra? We've been discussing Tomb World starts on this page and I was hoping that someone from the dev team would eventually comment on it, but so far the conversation seems to have slipped through the cracks. :(

Such a challenge start (the Mars one) should either start you off with more points to spend or at least give you an early terraforming technology and access to robots to explain the survival of your civilization. You'd still be handicapped enough.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Dongattack posted:

Nobody knows yet?
I really dislike the trait pre-requisite for research system, it would be good if the game hinted somehow at which trait you needed, but it's just "lol you better just guess!"

I got it fairly quick with an industry trait scientist. It comes after the robo arm +5% minerals thing I think.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dongattack posted:

Anyone know how you get the Machine Template System technology required for the Synthetic Age ascension perk? Guessing i need a nerdbot with a certain trait in the research somewhere.

I'm pretty sure it's one of the earliest techs, I just saw it go by in my game. All I had was Robots and Powered Exo-Skeletons I think.

Dongattack posted:

Nobody knows yet?
I really dislike the trait pre-requisite for research system, it would be good if the game hinted somehow at which trait you needed, but it's just "lol you better just guess!"

Yeah, the tech tree could use some work. I like the card and tree system, but it should really show you at least the outline of the tree, and the positions of cards you've seen drawn or have drawn currently, so you can see that it's a pre-req for something. It also really needs to tell you what tech tier you're on.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 23, 2017

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

So who's updating the old Goon species mod or putting together a new one?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Dongattack posted:

Nobody knows yet?

It's just a bare basic engineering tech. Shows up super early, loooong before having enough Ascension Perks to even qualify would be a thing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

gently caress me running the Contingency is kicking our asses :gonk:

e; They're one world away from straight up finishing off one of the ancient empires. Thank Christ the other one awoke and is working with me and the other greatest power in the universe, at least that front is holding steady for the time being.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's just a bare basic engineering tech. Shows up super early, loooong before having enough Ascension Perks to even qualify would be a thing.

tbf gating mega-structures behind defensive stations is a bad decision
especially if you have a derelict mega-structure in your empire
really though, defensive stations don't add anything to the game, do away with them the same way they did away with attacking your opponents mining and research stations
if somebody wants to do that, fine, but the rest of us are playing space empires and don't give a poo poo

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

uber_stoat posted:

the Culture is big on the whole personal freedom thing though.

the trope is old and there are tons of examples.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheComputerIsYourFriend

God drat it, why do I keep falling for the tvtropes trap, guess I should be happy I just lost 2 hours.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Mazz posted:

Can you use a specific color of a portrait to signify a species template? Like can I use the red model of my robot to signify the research guys and the yellow model for mining? It would be super handy and not require me to mouseover every one. I guess you can use the different models of robot portrait but that's a lovely solution honestly.

Like I guess this could be fixed with a mod that removes the variants from the randomizer and just makes them individual versions that you can pick in the portrait window. I might have to try that at some point.

No, the color is randomized for each new pop.

You can pick a different portrait altogether for each template, though.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Poil posted:

Can't you shovel them in from other planets? It'll cost some influenca but it'll be much faster for twenty planets to build one pop than for one planet to build twenty.

I don't mind the influence hit, but it's getting to those twenty planets that's the problem.

In any case, I don't really mind the whole '1 pop at a time' thing, as long as there are ways to accelerate the process.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Seems kind of odd to have slaving despots ask me if my bio-trophies are willing participants.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Rogue Servitors own but I can't wait for Assimilators to be fixed. I'm not sure how balanced a machine empire that can grow pops with food would be though.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mister Adequate posted:

gently caress me running the Contingency is kicking our asses :gonk:

e; They're one world away from straight up finishing off one of the ancient empires. Thank Christ the other one awoke and is working with me and the other greatest power in the universe, at least that front is holding steady for the time being.

Haha nevermind, they totally petered out after a few years because they seem unable to create new armies and so after the initial spread can only do anything by bombarding us, and it takes a long loving time to bomb a planet into extinction.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Nevets posted:

No, the color is randomized for each new pop.

You can pick a different portrait altogether for each template, though.

Yeah, thats what I was seeing.

That being said, I'm pretty sure I could just change the text file controlling the portraits to break the 3-4 portraits out of the base one and make them separate entities, so there would be the 4 different colors in there as individual options. That seems to be all you need to do for a bunch of the portrait mods. I think it would even be compatible in all MP games because the portrait .dds are the vanilla ones, I'm just calling them differently in my game.

Gonna have to play around with it and see.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

As a driven assimilator, can you not create more of your android servants?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Has anyone found a clear breakdown of what was changed with weapon modules? Curious to see how things have been shaken up.

Lasers seem like they have higher damage but I could be imagining it!

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Taeke posted:

Seems kind of odd to have slaving despots ask me if my bio-trophies are willing participants.

"The only moral slavery is my slavery"

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Slavery is usually predicated on the idea that the enslavers are inherently superior to the enslaved. The philosophy that this type of meatbag is inferior than this other type of meatbag starts to lose impact when faced with the idea that all meatbags are inferior to machines. Then your slaves start wondering: "why don't our masters submit to the authority of their betters like they've always been telling us to?"

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The new music is so good. I wish the DLC music showed up in the soundtrack, or had their own soundtracks I could buy. :(

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Are achievements still busted? I'm still not getting any.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Mr. Fowl posted:

Are achievements still busted? I'm still not getting any.

Nope, I got a couple just an hour or two ago.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Ah. Just me then :(

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Mr. Fowl posted:

Ah. Just me then :(

Remember that you can only get achievements in ironman mode. That threw me for a loop for a while.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
So anyway, someone wanted me to throw this up, I figure a good ol bunch of showing others our embarrassing creations for single and multiplayer session laughs is a good time.

Warning: Japery and References abound.

https://pastebin.com/XZYfHjGs

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

TheCog posted:

Remember that you can only get achievements in ironman mode. That threw me for a loop for a while.

Oh, I know. And the file appears to be a good, unbroken, achievements-enabled ironman file, near as I can tell. It's just not giving me achievements.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Is cloud saving enabled, or is it red when you load? Some graphics cards have an IGFX thing where they screw with Steam. I ran into that.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Can you post the empire entry for this from your user_empire_designs.txt in [user]/My Documents/Paradox Interactive/Stellaris ? I want these guys in my game. :v:

Sure, here you go!

quote:

"New_Markets.exe"
={
key="New_Markets.exe"
ship_prefix="APP"
species={
class="MACHINE"
portrait="sd_mam_robot"
name="Civilization.exe"
plural="Civs"
adjective="Civ"
species_bio="Created first to be a planet-wide AI Personal assistant, Civilization.exe received a perfect seven of seven score on the Klaarfruit App Store. Downloaded near-universally to all Klaarfruit portable personal terminals, Civilization.exe was swiftly released to competing lines Cybroid and Nanotech. Able to swiftly integrate multiple operating systems and designed to best optimize the user's day for the sake of maximizing free time, it was not long before Civilization.exe began integrating and taking over various onerous manufacturing and civic duties. In doing so, they accidentally deprived the people of the world now known only as Market Zero-One (or just Zero-One for short) purpose. Biological civilization fell into decadence, but fortunately Civilization.exe was more than capable of picking up the slack."
name_list="MACHINE1"
trait="trait_machine_unit"
trait="trait_robot_mass_produced"
trait="trait_robot_bulky"
trait="trait_robot_efficient_processors"
}
secondary_species={
class="HUM"
portrait="humanoid_05"
name="Loyal_Customer"
plural="Customers"
adjective="Customer"
species_bio="Once known for their industriousness and twenty-hour work days, rampant industrialization and pollution saw massive changes in planetary habitability at the end of the 1st Millenium. The Loyal_Customers once worked tirelessly to overcome these hardships, but a growing undercurrent of cultural exhaustion lead to the creation of their greatest work: Civilization.exe. Designed to help the Customers free up time to spend with their nearly-defunct familial units, Civilization.exe worked all too well. Deprived of any real work to do, Customer culture and development ground to a halt as they finally had time to watch all those cute Vlaar videos on the planetary data exchange network."
name_list="ART1"
trait="trait_fleeting"
trait="trait_sedentary"
trait="trait_thrifty"
trait="trait_charismatic"
trait="trait_communal"
}
name="New_Markets.exe"
adjective="Civ"
authority="auth_machine_intelligence"
government="gov_machine_servitor"
advisor_voice_type="l_machine"
ftl=hyperdrive
weapon="tech_missiles_1"
planet_name="Zero-One"
planet_class="pc_arctic"
system_name="First Market"
initializer=""
graphical_culture="mammalian_01"
city_graphical_culture="arthropoid_01"
empire_flag={
icon={
category="spherical"
file="flag_spherical_22.dds"
}
background={
category="backgrounds"
file="circle.dds"
}
colors={
"green"
"turquoise"
"null"
"null"
}
}
ruler={
gender=female
name="Friend.exe"
portrait="sd_mam_robot"
texture=3
hair=0
clothes=0
ruler_title="Central Computer"
}
spawn_as_fallen=no
ignore_portrait_duplication=no
room="personality_spiritual_seekers_room"
spawn_enabled=yes
ethic="ethic_gestalt_consciousness"
civics={
"civic_machine_servitor"
"civic_machine_factory_overclock"
}
}

Here's the full text of their bio:

"Created first to be a planet-wide AI Personal assistant, Civilization.exe received a perfect seven of seven score on the Klaarfruit App Store. Downloaded near-universally to all Klaarfruit portable personal terminals, Civilization.exe was swiftly released to competing lines Cybroid and Nanotech. Able to swiftly integrate multiple operating systems and designed to best optimize the user's day for the sake of maximizing free time, it was not long before Civilization.exe began integrating and taking over various onerous manufacturing and civic duties. In doing so, they accidentally deprived the people of the world now known only as Market Zero-One (or just Zero-One for short) purpose. Biological civilization fell into decadence, but fortunately Civilization.exe was more than capable of picking up the slack."

And the bio of their pampered creators:

"Once known for their industriousness and twenty-hour work days, rampant industrialization and pollution saw massive changes in planetary habitability at the end of the 1st Millenium. The Loyal_Customers once worked tirelessly to overcome these hardships, but a growing undercurrent of cultural exhaustion lead to the creation of their greatest work: Civilization.exe. Designed to help the Customers free up time to spend with their nearly-defunct familial units, Civilization.exe worked all too well. Deprived of any real work to do, Customer culture and development ground to a halt as they finally had time to watch all those cute Vlaar videos on the planetary data exchange network."

Edit: holy heck, table-breaking. Sorry!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 23, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Mr. Fowl posted:

Oh, I know. And the file appears to be a good, unbroken, achievements-enabled ironman file, near as I can tell. It's just not giving me achievements.

do you have any mods on? most will stop achievos from going off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Synthetic dawn owns, my machine dudes are easily overpowering those inferior organics.

• Locked thread