Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Martman posted:

So you're saying, when we finally see all the kids floating around in the sewer it works as a reference to the recent Ghost in the Shell movie where they find a bunch of humans wired up to serve as some kind of brain network for Kuze?

It's unlikely that it's a direct reference (given the proximity of the two releases) but it is absolutely parallel imagery, expressing roughly the same concept.

(It's worth noting that Shell also features a giant spider.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

So I finally watched It and I really enjoyed it, but I'm also watching the Twin Peaks revival right now (18 loving episodes) and I realized something...

It deserves a mini series on Netflix or something. A 2 hour film for such a massive book is really irritating. SOOOOOO many cut parts, Guys like Henry and Patrick are terrifying in the novel, and in the film you barely even know who they are.

Also, can David Lynch direct it? It deals with a lot of very abstract concepts and I'm grinning ear to ear thinking of what David Lynch could deliver for King's masterpiece.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I just saw this and it had Lord of the Rings syndrome.

Books and films have to tell stories very differently in order to be effective in their respective mediums. The film was clearly designed for fans of the books who could follow along, because as a standalone film, it's not good. It would be drat tough to get it right, considering the length and density of the source material. The necessary cuts would alienate true fans and open itself to accusations of being something other than the source. But here we are. Too long, too many scenes shoved in simply because they were in the book, etc.

I felt it was visually outstanding and very well acted, scored poorly, and paced very poorly.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Zeris posted:

I just saw this and it had Lord of the Rings syndrome.

Books and films have to tell stories very differently in order to be effective in their respective mediums. The film was clearly designed for fans of the books who could follow along, because as a standalone film, it's not good. It would be drat tough to get it right, considering the length and density of the source material. The necessary cuts would alienate true fans and open itself to accusations of being something other than the source. But here we are. Too long, too many scenes shoved in simply because they were in the book, etc.

I felt it was visually outstanding and very well acted, scored poorly, and paced very poorly.

What scenes did you think were shoved in?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

From my perspective, almost every scene with the bullies was superfluous. Half of the seven main characters could probably have been cut with few negative consequences.

The movie just felt really overstuffed. A lot was already cut from the source material and I feel that the writers were worried about whittling it down any further. The only other option was adding another hour to the run time.

A miniseries might have been a better medium, but Stranger Things took that option off the table.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Sep 22, 2017

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The movie really should have concluded after the confrontation in the house. They could have included stuff from the final fight, but when I realized the movie wasn't done I was all 'really'?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
The whole reason they come back as adults though happens after that.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wouldn't call just over 2 hours overlong.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

MrMojok posted:

No it's because HE IS LEGEND my dude.
Pretty sure it is not a Euronymous rereg. :corsair:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Harminoff posted:

The whole reason they come back as adults though happens after that.

Yeah, so they could have made that happen during the house confrontation. Make them find the way to his lair through the house or something. Not have two fights within the span of fifteen minutes. The movie was too long which is my biggest gripe.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

A couple of things I liked.

When the kid with asthma goes to the store to pick up the medication, the girl who tells him the truth has Easter egg earrings.

At the end, when they all cut their hands, Ben is the boy who winces least, since he's been cut up the most throughout the film.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Saw the movie, the actors were all great, It desperately needed more lines though.

It would be unstoppable if the doors he can magically lock behind people weren't able to always be opened in the nick of time, has to happen at least half a dozen times in short order.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

This is why movies like It, Nightmare On Elm Street, and so on are best enjoyed as a story where the monster is a coping mechanism for the inexplicable. There's never going to be a satisfying mechanistic tactical explanation for why a practically omnipotent homicidal ghost doesn't just kill everyone in a matter of minutes.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Halloween Jack posted:

This is why movies like It, Nightmare On Elm Street, and so on are best enjoyed as a story where the monster is a coping mechanism for the inexplicable. There's never going to be a satisfying mechanistic tactical explanation for why a practically omnipotent homicidal ghost doesn't just kill everyone in a matter of minutes.

Yes, this

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Everyone keeps making Nightmare on Elm Street comparisons when the real truth is that It is a crossbreed of The Most Dangerous Game and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Everyone keeps making Nightmare on Elm Street comparisons when the real truth is that It is a crossbreed of The Most Dangerous Game and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?

Go on

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Absolutely not. Think on it.

edit: George and Martha will their fake child to life and it tries to hunt them and their guests for sport. A major theme of It is confronting the bald truth without fear and overcoming the traumas of childhood without being literally ingested by them. Nightmare is similar but they share the Dangerous Game/Woolf crossover, with different results.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Sep 22, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

The kids may have invented Pennywise as a game, and a coping mechanism - but, within the confines of the game, IT is a full-fledged character. IT has taken on a life of IT's own.

The trick is that, between satisfying bullshit and the inexplicable, you have unsatisfying explanations - like that IT lets the doors open because he's ultimately not interested in killing anyone.

You may have noticed that there is very little killing in the film at all, and this is simply because IT doesn't kill. What we see instead, with absolute clarity, is that IT seeks to turn children against their parents. IT sets brother against brother. ("If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters...). It promotes conflict and division.

And IT does this purposefully. Note IT's derision when IT talks about letting the kids live normal lives, where they can eventually die of old age. Nobody hates Derry more than IT. IT has literally been poo poo on by the population of Derry for hundreds of years. IT's Pennywise identity is a parody of Derry's grotesque adult population. IT's pushing the kids to fight back.

IT is a Disobedience God. He stands for escape - the willingness to say 'gently caress this!' Without IT, Ed would not have told his mother off. Without IT, Beverley probably wouldn't have had the guts to kill her father. And, when she finally does, Beverley all-but-literally 'runs away to join the circus'.

The ideological limitation of the film (or, at least, of the kids) is in the recourse to Old Testament vengeance to unite the community - the kids' belief that they are a chosen people. There's a halfhearted Batman '89 reference, but the film's logic is strictly that of The Avengers and the Joker they fight is more Ledger than Nicholson.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Well, one teenager got corrupted by this movie.

http://nerdist.com/stranger-things-finn-wolfhard-f-bombs-stephen-kings-it/

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Absolutely not. Think on it.

I haven't seen It yet but yeah that makes sense based on my memory of the book

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The kids may have invented Pennywise as a game, and a coping mechanism - but, within the confines of the game, IT is a full-fledged character. IT has taken on a life of IT's own.

The trick is that, between satisfying bullshit and the inexplicable, you have unsatisfying explanations - like that IT lets the doors open because he's ultimately not interested in killing anyone.

You may have noticed that there is very little killing in the film at all, and this is simply because IT doesn't kill. What we see instead, with absolute clarity, is that IT seeks to turn children against their parents. IT sets brother against brother. ("If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters...). It promotes conflict and division.

And IT does this purposefully. Note IT's derision when IT talks about letting the kids live normal lives, where they can eventually die of old age. Nobody hates Derry more than IT. IT has literally been poo poo on by the population of Derry for hundreds of years. IT's Pennywise identity is a parody of Derry's grotesque adult population. IT's pushing the kids to fight back.

IT is a Disobedience God. He stands for escape - the willingness to say 'gently caress this!' Without IT, Ed would not have told his mother off. Without IT, Beverley probably wouldn't have had the guts to kill her father. And, when she finally does, Beverley all-but-literally 'runs away to join the circus'.

The ideological limitation of the film (or, at least, of the kids) is in the recourse to Old Testament vengeance to unite the community - the kids' belief that they are a chosen people. There's a halfhearted Batman '89 reference, but the film's logic is strictly that of The Avengers and the Joker they fight is more Ledger than Nicholson.

I don't usually agree with you but I like this way of looking at it. I noticed how IT seemed to like keeping the images of its victims around, using them to attack, lure and manipulate future victims, making it seems like IT hangs out with them in its spare time. I think there's no question it kills, but IT seems to have some attachment to the kids beyond just wanting to eat them.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Saw the movie, the actors were all great, It desperately needed more lines though.

It would be unstoppable if the doors he can magically lock behind people weren't able to always be opened in the nick of time, has to happen at least half a dozen times in short order.

Movie IT was very strongly dependent on fear and belief. If a kid believed he could save his friend by getting a door open, he could. If he believed the trick behind the scary door was bullshit (which happens in the next scene AFTER the door was broken into), then it was. If they thought they could get away, then they could. Without fear, he could only physically attack or Deadlight them. These things were gradually revealed.

Miniseries IT was...I don't even know what he was doing besides constantly trolling everyone all of the time.

Book IT was ultra cocky but was purposely being interfered with by a cosmic being/God when trying to get the Losers.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Speaking of Deadlights, in the Deadlights scene, there was a man's voice screaming for help from the cavern of IT's throat, what was that about?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I heard multiple screams, like people in hell. Also the musical sting before the deadlights was spot on.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

Penpal posted:

I heard multiple screams, like people in hell. Also the musical sting before the deadlights was spot on.

As much as I hate the jumpscare noises, that evil "thwoooom" was great.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don't mean this in a negative way at all, but although I don't always agree with SuperMechaGodzilla, as an English/creative writing major in college, I appreciate his posts because it reminds me a lot of the kinds of bonkers, out-of-the-box conversations that would pop up a lot during workshopping.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Why doesn't Bob Gray become a virus and slowly kill them that way feeding off a sort of creeping fear of death as they get more and more ill?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Would you rather have a banquet and then hibernate or try to sustain yourself on diluted cabbage soup for years? Let me nosh then nap, I say

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

oldpainless posted:

Why doesn't Bob Gray become a virus and slowly kill them that way feeding off a sort of creeping fear of death as they get more and more ill?

Cuz he's not mister grey

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

oldpainless posted:

I literally just watched that movie. Spoiler for title: The Bye Bye Man

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

oldpainless posted:

That happens later in The Stand starring Pennywise the dancing flu

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

there actually is an explanation in IT (the weakest part of the movie is not including that part). IT sees itself as a superior being so it has no reason to kill them until it wants to. when they've been seasoned with enough fear to be tastiest. IT loses due to this hubris, it's an important part of the story.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I think it's pretty heavily demonstrated visually by It's reaction when they escape. Bill's basement scene in particular it practically says "aww shucks."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Groovelord Neato posted:

IT loses due to this hubris, it's an important part of the story.

No; it's literally not part of the story at all.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i for one am shocked smg has never read the novel "it" by stephen king of maine and is just talking out his rear end. quick google the wikipedia page.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No; it's literally not part of the story at all.

No; it literally is, just not this version (though this version briefly nods to it with Pennywise remarking on Eddie's "delicious fear"). You can either incorporate metatextual aspects into your reading, or throw them out entirely and take the adaptation in a vacuum; you can't mix the two approaches and expect to still be coherent.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It consumes fear, probably just as much or even more than it eats flesh. So by drawing things out and scaring them again and again It can get more bang for its buck.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

oldpainless posted:

It should become capitalism, so it can slowly break and destroy the mind, body, and souls off the most amount of people possible.

MAJOR PLOT TWIST OUT OF NOWHERE!!!!!!! MAYBE IT ALREADY HAS!!!!!!1!!!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

it literally is, just not this version

Right: it's not an important part of this story if it doesn't exist in this story.

Groovelord's trouble is that he is approaching the film like a supplementary illustration to the book, so the movie is 'weakened' by the failure to include this vital exposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how do you pull that poo poo after the posts you;ve made lol

• Locked thread