Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
gently caress, I forgot to include the space part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Full luxury gay weed space communism, now.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Space.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
That one was in case anybody felt like doing a construction of quotes later. I wanted them to have the full set.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Thoguh posted:

:yeah:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
*21st century*
"Seize the means of production comrade!"
*looks around at a fully automated robot labor force*
umm.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
https://twitter.com/davidsirota/status/911398115806023680

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

That's almost like poo poo you'd read in a comic book for children "and there were people who told Bernie Sanders that it wasn't the time for such strong stands on issues BUT BERNIE KNEW"

"Bernie knew it was time for very strong stands on the issues that are important in the lives of working people all over this country"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

I mean it's not like the democrats have been mocked as spineless for decades she later added

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

DAMMIT TAMMY STEP UP

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
lmao

quote:

Former L.A. Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa accused the lieutenant governor of flip-flopping because after Newsom was asked if he explicitly endorsed the legislation — Senate Bill 562 — he responded that he endorsed "getting this debate going again.".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Rastor posted:

DAMMIT TAMMY STEP UP

uhhhh

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Figuratively

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

if youre a bernie millenial woman, your mother was weak says this old crust who is definitely not lily-white

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
oh hey Neera is trying to get one of the only good people at Vox fired https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/911331922097446913

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

boomers need to die. i wonder what mfa would cost if we just removed all the boomers already covered

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I can't believe this is something anyone who has ever run for office, under any party affiliation or as an Independent, has said

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

galenanorth posted:

I can't believe this is something anyone who has ever run for office, under any party affiliation or as an Independent, has said

~~pragmatism~~

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Obama's senate seat has infected her

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

oh hey Neera is trying to get one of the only good people at Vox fired https://twitter.com/neeratanden/status/911331922097446913

LOL, she uses the "just asking him a question" defense in the replies

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Rastor posted:

Can you add a few sentences of explanation on this?

Medicare helps to cover the costs of medicine, medical procedures, doctors' visits, etc. You still have to pay some out of pocket costs though. True singlepayer means that the government is the sole payer of medical services.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

galenanorth posted:

Now is the time, my fellow Americans, for each one of you to ask yourselves if you have what it takes to join me marching toward capitulation in the face of unbeatable odds

I have seen the promised land and it promises near adequacy for some of you

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Medicare helps to cover the costs of medicine, medical procedures, doctors' visits, etc. You still have to pay some out of pocket costs though. True singlepayer means that the government is the sole payer of medical services.

I thought you still had some sort of minor copay under a system like Canada - not premiums of course, but something nominal

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Thoguh posted:

That one was in case anybody felt like doing a construction of quotes later. I wanted them to have the full set.

Thoguh posted:

Communism

Thoguh posted:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Barbe Rouge posted:

LOL, she uses the "just asking him a question" defense in the replies

So do /pol/ people when they deny the holocaust

licorice whip theory confirmed

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i think eliminating skin in the game garbage token payments is a fight that the post-millennial generation, or the one after them, could end up fighting

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
did you know Bernie isn't even a Democrat?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Breakfast All Day posted:

boomers need to die. i wonder what mfa would cost if we just removed all the boomers already covered
even with boomers m4a will be CHEAPER

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Squizzle posted:

i think eliminating skin in the game garbage token payments is a fight that the post-millennial generation, or the one after them, could end up fighting

The important point is that MfA is a truly universal program in a way that Obamacare simply isn't, but we shouldn't act like that's an ideal endpoint for healthcare in the United States. It'd be a lot easier to transform universal Medicare into a true singlepayer system down the line, than it would be to transform the ACA into some kind of Medicare program.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Bernie's Medicare For All plan isn't actually anything like Medicare (which I expect will wind up whipping up fears among current Medicare beneficiaries that they're taking away their Medicare For some untested newfangled system)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

computer: show me the suckiest zone in books

https://twitter.com/ripmarkusj/status/911088756223918081

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

lmao I'm amazed he still has a career

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

one way medicare significantly differs from single payer is it is literally not allowed to use its federal market power to negotiate drug prices. private insurers are used to negotiate on its behalf. yes this sounds as dumb as you think it does.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/10/drug-industry-pharmaceutical-lobbyists-medicare-part-d-prices/

quote:

While Part D is only one of the issues the drug industry pushes in Washington, it is a blockbuster program. According to a report from the trustees of the Medicare system, this year Part D is expected to spend $103 billion to serve an estimated 43 million Americans.

A paper released in August by Harvard Medical School researchers cited the size of the program and its lack of government negotiating clout as among the reasons why Americans pay the highest prices in the world for prescription drugs. A co-author of that paper, Ameet Sarpatwari, estimates that Part D accounts for nearly 30 percent of the nation’s spending on prescription drugs.

What’s more, Part D often pays far more for drugs than do Medicaid or the Veterans Health Administration—which, unlike Part D, mandate government measures to hold down prices. One report found that Part D pays 80 percent more for medicines than the VHA and 73 percent more than Medicaid. While researchers aren’t unanimous in their views, an array of experts have concluded that federal negotiating power—if backed up by other cost controls—would bring Part D drug costs more in line.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
penis leery is a doctor? :eyepop:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lmao I'm amazed he still has a career

I still think about this moment from Tough Crowd a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iFGyN37UPs&t=13s

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

lol, college students "afraid" of Ann Coulter as if that's the person who's going to jack up their student loans and break their legs 'til they pay them instead of Betty DeVos

then even before the next comma it takes a knock at college student sexual promiscuity even though between 2000 and 2016, new HIV infections fell by 40%

It's been a while since I'v seen so many easily proven wrong facts packed so densely

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

it was hillary clinton (and wall st) who broke students' legs first by making discharging student loan debt practically impossible. not betsy devos!

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I still think about this moment from Tough Crowd a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iFGyN37UPs&t=13s

comedians so spoiled for attention that even their failed rip-off East Coast politically incorrect series gets dissected in nostalgic documentary form

and it's ME that can't get any respect

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Over Easy posted:

comedians so spoiled for attention that even their failed rip-off East Coast politically incorrect series gets dissected in nostalgic documentary form

and it's ME that can't get any respect

tbf tough crowd was better than most people gave it credit for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

tbf tough crowd was better than most people gave it credit for

I just noticed in my life that Colin Quinn makes me look at my feet and scratch the back of my head when he is talking on the TV, and so to the American people

• Locked thread