Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Probably because one of you is carrying How To Not Be A Fatass pamphlets like an rear end in a top hat. I'd slam the door in your faces and then complain to the school that my RA thinks my appearance is anybody's business but my own.

Also, again, *Dez is the same size as Tiffany*. And I wish like hell she points that out to Bernice when she sees her, but I know it won't happen.

Edit: Oh, never mind. I just now found out that I'm totally wrong and if Tiff doesn't appreciate this visit then she's the bitch.

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Sep 22, 2017

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Julet Esqu posted:

Probably because one of you is carrying How To Not Be A Fatass pamphlets like an rear end in a top hat. I'd slam the door in your faces and then complain to the school that my RA thinks my appearance is anybody's business but my own.

Also, again, *Dez is the same size as Tiffany*. And I wish like hell she points that out to Bernice when she sees her, but I know it won't happen.

The 2 strips previous are infuriating. I will post when i get home.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
MORDOCK999's avatar haunts my eyelids

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Ballard Street denizens are following their muses

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Previously:

Tiff is depressed because she's not getting gangbanged by the entire football team. The solution is to spam her with diet pamphlets.

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Back to B.C.

Random Acts of Nancy

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

Anyone want to guess the creator of the Norwich Navigators (gators, get it?) logo?

Gilchrist synergy strikes again!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

computer angel posted:

Previously:

Tiff is depressed because she's not getting gangbanged by the entire football team. The solution is to spam her with diet pamphlets.

She needs the football team to spend the night then she'll be right as rain. After all she's a shallow slut.

Hey, you're right that is horrible.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I think I'd need a couple days to recover from that

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
In a good strip this would lead to Luann realizing she's a huge rear end in a top hat & Bernice realizing she's doing the 'idiot psych 101 student thinks they know everything' thing.

But this is Luann, so nobody will ever point out that Dez is the only not-terrible person here.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery
So what's the plan here, show up and say "Hi, we saw you got fat, so we brought you a mild sedative, some smug diet lecturing, and a useless idiot"?

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

ukonvasara posted:

So what's the plan here, show up and say "Hi, we saw you got fat, so we brought you a mild sedative, some smug diet lecturing, and a useless idiot"?

A useless idiot who was literally just poo poo talking and slut shaming you a few moments ago. Wanna hug it out?

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

FBoFW

Lynn Johnston posted:

I could never enjoy sports on TV, but take me to a game- any game and I could find something good about it. People-watching was better than the sport itself and I don’t think anything tastes better than a hot dog at a stadium. I’d go to spend quality time with my “other half” pretend to understand what was happening and look forward to half time. Did you know that the pixellated scoreboard was first invented by a woman? Well, you’ve gotta do SOMETHING while you’re hanging around!!

Lynn Johnston posted:

On rare occasions we would invite “the guys” over to watch the game. This was when smoking was as necessary to an evening out as the horse de ouvres. I’d dutifully bring in the beer and pizza, watch long enough to appear enthused, and retire to the kitchen. Not that I was a domestic…I just couldn’t stand the smell. Cigarettes, cigars, beer and pizza…all essential to a guy night out combined to create an odour that could peel wallpaper. Fortunately, today’s gatherings are much less stressful. They happen somewhere else!

Mea Culpa
Oct 23, 2005

Spirit of the Staircase

Barkeater Lake

Bad Machinery

Lucky Cow

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So I just got my hands on that giant Peanuts collection and I think I actually... like it? Weird...

It's not changing my life or anything but it's turning out to be a surprisingly pleasant read. The early art is smooth andnicely expressive (Schultz has really good line work), the humor is actually funny, and there's surprisingly little of the racism/misogyny that makes other work's from around this time unreadable. It also has a mean streak to it I don't remember being present in the later strips. Like half the punchlines are the kids being dicks to each other and it's kind of great. I can see why it got so popular.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

readingatwork posted:

So I just got my hands on that giant Peanuts collection and I think I actually... like it? Weird...

It's not changing my life or anything but it's turning out to be a surprisingly pleasant read. The early art is smooth andnicely expressive (Schultz has really good line work), the humor is actually funny, and there's surprisingly little of the racism/misogyny that makes other work's from around this time unreadable. It also has a mean streak to it I don't remember being present in the later strips. Like half the punchlines are the kids being dicks to each other and it's kind of great. I can see why it got so popular.

The first decade of Peanuts was brilliant.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Johnny Aztec posted:

The new art "style" on Garfield is bugging the heck out of me

Darthemed posted:

Today's Garf

Odie is a loving sonic fanfic original character do not steal

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's Garfield's stripes. They're less thick and that messes with your perception of him

All I remember about Garfield is that it got somewhat good a couple of years back when Liz straight up started being Jon's girlfriend

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Winsor McCay Comic Strip(click for huge)

And He Did. (February, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (January, 1919, click for big)

Fritzi Ritz (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (December, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (December, 1940, click for big)

Dick Tracy (April, 1941, click for big)

Mopsy (May, 1941)

Archie (May, 1956, click for big)

Marmaduke (August, 1959)

Mr. Tweedy (September 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1975, click for big)

Andy Capp (February, 1972, click for big)

Wee Pals (April, 1972, click for big)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows the loudest person wins.

Working Daze does blackface.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix does a classical joke.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Calaveron posted:

It's Garfield's stripes. They're less thick and that messes with your perception of him

All I remember about Garfield is that it got somewhat good a couple of years back when Liz straight up started being Jon's girlfriend

The thing about Garfield is, Jim Davis is actually capable of some drat good work when he applies himself (Garfield: His 9 Lives and the original cartoon show for example), but the problem is that the strip has basically become a merchandising tool and they don't really care about quality all that much (though every once in a while there are some flashes of effort like the example you listed above).

On the other hand, unlike some other cartoonists, Davis is actually a pretty decent guy by most accounts (he not only gave his blessing to Garfield Minus Garfield but even published his own version at one point).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 23, 2017

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

I'm going to regret asking this but why does the mermaid have a buttcrack?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

My scanner's having problems connecting to my network for some reason so I don't have a New Yorker cartoon today. I'll mess around with the machine tomorrow to figure out what the deal is.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Aardmania posted:

Heathcliff

This rules but damned if I can explain why

I laughed at this

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life
For gently caress's sake. This is the worst.

TofuDiva posted:

Ballard Street
No you can't, because it's strapped to the chair.

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Classic Dinette Set observes the five-second rule.
That's a perfectly reasonable point though.

"Nappy time"? Gross.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Stultus Maximus posted:

The first decade of Peanuts was brilliant.
I miss when Snoopy was a dog. It all started going downhill the day he got an actual thought balloon.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I never feel more disconnected from the human race as a species than when I read Holbrook comics and consider that someone out there is unironically enjoying them

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

The guy's expression makes this one.

Mark Trail

I thought this was loving stupid when I thought the bag held meat. This is worse.

Mary Worth

Ugh.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Apartment 3-G

Newton Figg, from Newtonville, Figgsylvania.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (February 7, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (February 7, 1996)

Garfield Classic (February 7, 1986)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Motherfucker I just got the pun in Dethany's name

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Calaveron posted:

Motherfucker I just got the pun in Dethany's name

Yup Holbrook is a huge Megadeth fan.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Cicadalek posted:

I never feel more disconnected from the human race as a species than when I read Holbrook comics and consider that someone out there is unironically enjoying them

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Nancy

What a cool cat!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Sep 23, 2017

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Is Everett True ever racist? I can't think of any people of color in there but they aren't being lampooned either.

Anyway, I love the fact that he gets clowned on by the women in his life. That broken broom stunned pic is a good one.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

...and the pitch! posted:

Is Everett True ever racist? I can't think of any people of color in there but they aren't being lampooned either.

Anyway, I love the fact that he gets clowned on by the women in his life. That broken broom stunned pic is a good one.

Eh, theres a few strips where he'd be very progressive for the time, and a few that, well I wouldnt call racist, wouldnt be really kosher nowdays.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

There was one strip about Jack Johnson that was out and out racist.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

...and the pitch! posted:

There's a strip where he gets upset at the way an african american talks and another where he beats the poo poo out of a guy who was mistreating an african american usher or bellhop or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Kavak posted:

There was one strip about Jack Johnson that was out and out racist.

Yeah, I posted it earlier in this thread -- Everett beats up a black waiter who he thinks is acting snide because of Jack Johnson's win, and mentions having to clobber some other "dark brothers" who have been giving him attitude since the match.

• Locked thread