Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

When upgrading my phone it didn't bring my custom ringtones over like it had for like the past 2000 versions of iOS.

You done hosed up, A-A-Ple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
What's a ringtone?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Weedle posted:

I restored my phone to install 11 and it took a couple of hours to start loading my photo library.

[quote="“doingitwrong”" post="“476667343”"]
You can watch the progress by going to Settings>General>iPhone Storage
[/quote]

<333

It's stuck at 1% haha. Gonna be a while I guess.

I thought something was wrong with my phone for a while before realizing I forgot to swap the sim from my 6S plus to this new one. I'm very smart.

I decided to embrace the new iPhone experience and use the EarPods again. I... like them? They sound very nice, mainly for pack ins. I won't lie, they definitely make me more interested in AirPods. Has anyone used those successfully during workouts?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

There are new iCloud Terms of Service I had to accept today for iCloud to work properly.

I had massive amounts of bugs after accepting it but rebooting my phone took care of it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

<333

I thought something was wrong with my phone for a while before realizing I forgot to swap the sim from my 6S plus to this new one. I'm very smart.

I decided to embrace the new iPhone experience and use the EarPods again. I... like them? They sound very nice, mainly for pack ins. I won't lie, they definitely make me more interested in AirPods. Has anyone used those successfully during workouts?

My buddy just messaged me that he gave them a test drive today for his workout. Some cardio, but mostly strength training and he said they worked very well.

I'm still waiting on mine to arrive.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Proteus Jones posted:

My buddy just messaged me that he gave them a test drive today for his workout. Some cardio, but mostly strength training and he said they worked very well.

I'm still waiting on mine to arrive.

Nice!

My main concern is doing kettlebell swings. For that the AirPods need to pretty much be headbang proof. My ears do seem to hold onto the wired ones alright at least.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nice!

My main concern is doing kettlebell swings. For that the AirPods need to pretty much be headbang proof. My ears do seem to hold onto the wired ones alright at least.

Yeah, I'm not sure how vigorous his head movements are since he mostly does elliptical for cardio and barbells (chest, dead, power cleans, etc...) for strength.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

GoldfishStew posted:

Leather case. Flesh on machine like God intended.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

When upgrading my phone it didn't bring my custom ringtones over like it had for like the past 2000 versions of iOS.

You done hosed up, A-A-Ple.

Upgrading iOS on the same phone will keep the ringtones, but if you got a new phone, you can drag them on to iTunes to get them back. I just did this on my 8+. It even remembered what tones I had set for what events once they were back in.

Click on the phone in iTunes and drag the m4r files on top of Tones. Fortunately all the tone files were still where they were on the hard disk.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kilometers Davis posted:

<333

Mine is stuck at 1% too. Has yours shown any progress since you posted?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Just got some AirPods, you guys weren't kidding these rule.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I'm jealous of those who can wear ear/air pods without discomfort. :negative:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

lelandjs posted:

Mine is stuck at 1% too. Has yours shown any progress since you posted?

Nope :/

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Try plugging it in—I just checked again after having it plugged in for ~15 minutes and suddenly my photos were there.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
UPS is the loving worst, I hate that Apple insists on using them. They didn't even attempt delivery today after driving around town all day with my iPhone 8 in the back. They refuse to let me pick it up at a UPS store or the depot until they fail a delivery attempt, which they always do because the drivers slap the door tag on and run away without making any attempt to buzz into the building.

Next possible attempt will be Monday. But they drive around doing all the business deliveries first and don't even try to deliver residential packages unless there's extra time at the end of the day. So it might be till Tuesday or Wednesday till I get that magic failed attempt that lets me go pick it up. :sigh:

I probably should have just drove 4+1/2 hours to the Apple Store in Vancouver and 4+1/2 hours home rather than take my chances with UPS.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

fedex delivered my airpods.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how vigorous his head movements are since he mostly does elliptical for cardio and barbells (chest, dead, power cleans, etc...) for strength.

The only time an AirPod has ever fallen out of my ears is when I got into my car and my left shoulder scrunched up. Shoulder movement with a head tilt. However my left ear doesn’t fit as well as my right, so YMMV.

They do make magnetic cords to keep your AirPods on a leash. Although I wonder if that would make matters worse (one dropping out makes both fall out). Also, it’s the technological equivalent of a back alley abortion.

Also, gently caress Apple and their loving chargers. My AirPod case will not charge via a PC USB port or using one of the two chargers in my car. I get it, my iPad takes too much juice to charge from every source, but my AirPods case shouldn’t need more power than my phone.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

<333

I've been at 1% for several hours now. How does it work exactly - is it going to render thumbnails to go in photos and then download the images if I tap one? My old phone was 256gb so I just did whatever but I only got a 64gb 8+ so I'm hoping that it isn't going to download everything since I don't even know how to stop it from doing so.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

ios 11 wiped all my text replacement's :mad: (Like when you type smdftb to automatically spell out suck my dick from the back, etc)

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
[quote="“Nostalgia4Dogges”" post="“476672539”"]
ios 11 wiped all my text replacement’s :mad: (Like when you type smdftb to automatically spell out suck my dick from the back, etc)
[/quote]

Ah, I thought SMDFTB stood for Smart Motherfuckers Don't gently caress Their Brothers.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

rio posted:

I've been at 1% for several hours now. How does it work exactly - is it going to render thumbnails to go in photos and then download the images if I tap one? My old phone was 256gb so I just did whatever but I only got a 64gb 8+ so I'm hoping that it isn't going to download everything since I don't even know how to stop it from doing so.

[quote="“lelandjs”" post="“476671755”"]
Try plugging it in—I just checked again after having it plugged in for ~15 minutes and suddenly my photos were there.
[/quote]

Do this rio^^^ it worked perfectly!

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

The only time an AirPod has ever fallen out of my ears is when I got into my car and my left shoulder scrunched up. Shoulder movement with a head tilt. However my left ear doesn’t fit as well as my right, so YMMV.

They do make magnetic cords to keep your AirPods on a leash. Although I wonder if that would make matters worse (one dropping out makes both fall out). Also, it’s the technological equivalent of a back alley abortion.

Also, gently caress Apple and their loving chargers. My AirPod case will not charge via a PC USB port or using one of the two chargers in my car. I get it, my iPad takes too much juice to charge from every source, but my AirPods case shouldn’t need more power than my phone.

Something might be wrong with your charging case. Mine charges plenty fast even plugged into my monitor's USB hub.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't get my 8+ today because the UPS truck got into an accident :ohdear:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Kilometers Davis posted:

Do this rio^^^ it worked perfectly!

It worked! Thanks guys.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Dislike button posted:

I didn't get my 8+ today because the UPS truck got into an accident :ohdear:

That's insane, do you know if the driver is OK? Does the tracking actually tell you "your truck got in an accident"?

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

rio posted:

I think stuff like mass photo restores from iCloud Photo Library only goes into full swing when plugged into power and locked.

Since you're down to 64GB now (can't wait for my next upgrade! Bring 128GB back Tim, you gently caress) go to Settings > Photos and select "Optimize phone storage" over "Download and keep originals." The way this works is, full resolution photos will remain on your phone until you get low on storage (something like 10-15%.) At that point, Photos will start purging pictures as needed, leaving lower resolutions on the phone, and the full resolution in the cloud storage.

I don't know how this setting applies to restoring from cloud storage, though. It may download the low resolution images/thumbnails and that's it, or it may download everything if it determines it wouldn't strain your free space.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

wicka posted:

That's insane, do you know if the driver is OK? Does the tracking actually tell you "your truck got in an accident"?

Yeah I put 2 and 2 together based on local news coverage. The driver is OK, and the tracking info says "a transportation accident has delayed delivery' with no updates since yesterday morning

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Ok, so how does buying a phone outright or via payment work these days? I got my current one second hand, and before that it was the carrier two year subsidized

What's the most easiest and economical option if I have t-mobile? As I understand most all carriers and apple both have payment plans, or you can buy it outright. Does it matter which option I pick?

Help me fam

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Ok, so how does buying a phone outright or via payment work these days? I got my current one second hand, and before that it was the carrier two year subsidized

What's the most easiest and economical option if I have t-mobile? As I understand most all carriers and apple both have payment plans, or you can buy it outright. Does it matter which option I pick?

Help me fam

It depends if you want to pay it all now or over 2 years through device payments at 0% interest. The only main factor would be if a carrier is doing a trade-in special to reduce the overall cost.

If it matters to you, doing Apple Upgrade Program, Apple will toss in AppleCare+ at least.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 23, 2017

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
This is probably a dumb question since my 8+ screen isn't covered in grime but is the front screen glass different that the 7+? Or am I just nasty

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It depends if you want to pay it all now or over 2 years through device payments at 0% interest. The only main factor would be if a carrier is doing a trade-in special to reduce the overall cost.

If it matters to you, doing Apple Upgrade Program, Apple will toss in AppleCare+ at least.

As I recall they don't toss it in so much as they include it as a mandatory fee and spread it out over 24 months.

Phantom Limb
Jun 30, 2005

blargh

Consummate Professional posted:

This is probably a dumb question since my 8+ screen isn't covered in grime but is the front screen glass different that the 7+? Or am I just nasty

the phones come with an oleophobic coating from the factory that wears off over time, it was probably gone on the 7+ and now it's fresh on the new one

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I have a 7 so I think I'll make more just selling it myself. It's unlocked, anyways.

I don't mind either way but in the end when all is said and done which option is the cheapest? AppleCare is cool but if you pay for it :shrug:

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.
Just traded off 7+ to 8+. Doing some side by side shot compares I really like the camera tweaks. A lot more depth and less blown out color in shots.

I took some poo poo pics today but I can post some examples tomorrow. Though maybe not if the internet is filled with them because I haven't looked.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I feel like True Tone just makes it look like night shift is on all the loving time.

Also, MeasureKit is garbage. I've measured a bunch of things and it's nowhere even near the ballpark of being correct. I am not 15.8" tall, nor do I have a 56' monitor.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Sep 23, 2017

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
I dunno, it pretty accurately sized up my 9ft dick.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

in_cahoots posted:

As I recall they don't toss it in so much as they include it as a mandatory fee and spread it out over 24 months.

Whoops, I didn't mean to imply it was free. Sorry about that.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I have a 7 so I think I'll make more just selling it myself. It's unlocked, anyways.

I don't mind either way but in the end when all is said and done which option is the cheapest? AppleCare is cool but if you pay for it :shrug:

I suppose, but it's nice to have piece of mind just taking a phone with issues to the Apple Store than dealing with Asurion for an extra 4-5 bucks a month. You'd certainly get a new phone faster.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Getting some AirPods battery issues. If I take them out, put them on a table and leave them out of the case, they seem to be losing about 5-10% an hour with nothing playing. Not sure if they're connected/disconnected completely via BT but not sure why that should affect battery so much? Any ideas?

I assume this is greater than normal expected battery use.

Googled to no avail. Already tried the reset button, no dice.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Do you guys know of a good reliable car phone mount for the 7+? I just got the iOttie Easy One Touch XL from Amazon today and I'm already having to return it because I drove with it earlier and my phone loving fell out of it on like 3 separate occasions while I was driving.

Now, I also live in New Orleans where the roads are complete poo poo because the city doesn't take care of them at all, so there are bumps everywhere. I guess what I need is a sturdy one with solid build quality.

I've now gone through 3 of them in the past year. My last one had rubber pieces on the sides that held the phone in place and one of the rubber pieces kept coming off. I superglued it back on and that didn't even hold.

I just want one that actually holds up and does what it's supposed to do even under the harsh conditions I'm driving in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

I’ve been on android for the past four years or so, so I’ve another dumb question:

when you flip the left-side switch to silent mode, it’ll mute all sounds and the ringtone, but still let through the alarm clock, right?