Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Pumpkinreaper posted:

This exactly; while bladestorm is really good on them (I never got it on mine sadly), as long as they get one of those they get very good. Fortress alone is incredible for them since they just don't give a poo poo about anything and can freely suicide charge into purifiers/sectopods/fuel tanks.

I feel they really start to become good once they get to captain and start with a single focus and can have enemies that die randomly drop focus, then they can really go nuts with their skills and not even feel the dent when they summon their ghost to act like a bullet sponge.

The skill that uses up all of their focus for an aoe feels kinda lackluster though, since by the time you get it, you likely wont be finishing many enemies with it (I'd rather keep 3 focus for the buffs). That said, having 3 focus basically makes a templar into stunlancer levels of rng bullshit, since it gets a ton of dodge, mobility and +3 rend damage, though I don't know if it applies to the skill that lets you fire off a shockwave when you use rend. I haven't really tried parry yet since I've found with all of that mobility, I can easily run off and hide them somewhere else after rending someone's butthole.

The shockwave deals 2 damage per point of focus. It's a pretty significant amount of damage at 3 focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Mutons blocking Bladestorm and then counter-striking that Bladestorm is total bullshit. If I have eyes on three of them clustered around an Archon I want to turn that into an alien juice press.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
IMO there should have been a lategame Muton that has bladestorm.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

give chryssalids reaper

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Have Gatekeepers go invisible. Codex and Spectre fuze and make clones of your soldiers that when damage split off and make even more copies of your soldiers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

aegof posted:

give chryssalids reaper

Give sectoids rage strike

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I have both of those installed, and I have to say always having a Reaper available for a facility mission is pretty nice.

I also wonder what bringing 3 Reapers on the final mission would be like.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Probably something like my trip to the Warlock's stronghold where the only thing that even landed a shot was a heavy turret grazing my Templar. I should have been recording; the aliens were entirely shut down the whole time because Elena kept making the A.I. look utterly lost. The Warlock himself got hit with Rupture -> Lightning Hands -> Rend, his sarcophagus died at 50%, then Amplify -> Rend -> Suppression + Holo Targeting -> Plasma shot from the soldier he held captive for ~10 months to finish him off.

I'm being a bit unfair; he was weak to Templars and Brittle which is a fatal combination of traits that only Planewalker could possibly alleviate.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 23, 2017

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Okay gently caress save the transmitter missions where every pod is at the transmitter. That is some heinous loving bullshit and should not be allowed.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Benagain posted:

Okay gently caress save the transmitter missions where every pod is at the transmitter. That is some heinous loving bullshit and should not be allowed.

Yeah I'm starting to think that's some kind of super hosed up bug, cause it's apparently happening to everyone.
Might just skip it every time it comes up.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

What's the most bs list of traits a chosen could have? All I could think up of is this.

Traits:
Planewalker
Ablative Armor
Mech Lord
Reveal all units
Immune to explosions

Bad Traits:
Brittle
Adversaries Reapers

Granted I've never faced any Chosen who lucked out on the perk tree, but it'd be interesting to see that happen more often in the late game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Annointed posted:

What's the most bs list of traits a chosen could have? All I could think up of is this.

Traits:
Planewalker
Ablative Armor
Mech Lord
Reveal all units
Immune to explosions

Bad Traits:
Brittle
Adversaries Reapers

Granted I've never faced any Chosen who lucked out on the perk tree, but it'd be interesting to see that happen more often in the late game.

Groundling is a way worse bad trait than anything else. It just gives a to hit bonus if you're above them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So apparently if a soldier gets captured the old way (left behind when you extract), you don't get a covert op to rescue them. Instead they can take the place of a captured VIP just line in the launch version. That's disappointing, I had a soldier get captured due to some bullshit (thanks stun lancer reinforcements for proccing unconscious!) but I don't even get to play the new mission. I only ever did the Mox one because I'm not dumb enough to let the Chosen steal my soldiers.

Benagain posted:

What's really bullshit is that the relay health doesn't scale appropriately scale. Early game the relays are absurdly tanky relative to the damage enemies do. Later on though, enemies can blow up it up in like 5 turns. A lot of it comes down to the RNG not just from damage rolls, but also who decides to shoot it. I did a relay mission earlier that I probably would of lost if instead of the sectoid pod plinking the relay for 3 damage the Advent MEC right next to it had bothered to fire.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

If a Protect the Device mission comes up now I always skip it in favor of another, no matter what the dark event is. The AI must've been messed with.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I just started a fresh legendary ironman game with the intent of making a montage of every time my templar spent focus in a useful way but in my first covert op a sectoid stumbled into my stealthed dudes and shot my templar in the head.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

RBA Starblade posted:

I keep thinking Templars have Fortress then getting surprised when they can't run through the acid bomb I used to set up a sick bladestorm multi-kill for them.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1138459571

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Did they buff Julian? Holy poo poo I don't remember him having 100 loving HP. Also I thought the derelict MECs had 3 HP and 3 armor.

Luckily he stepped on a 32 damage remote started area like an idiot, but it was a bit touch and go. Only my Reaper and Lily's insane OP skillset carried me through.

RIP my two dudes who Julian killed through full cover.

Still it was a fun challenge. And I was just using Ballistics and mostly squaddies so :shrug: no huge loss. Bolt Caster is insanely good for that mission.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Benagain posted:

Olive Branch posted:

If a Protect the Device mission comes up now I always skip it in favor of another, no matter what the dark event is. The AI must've been messed with.

My game is fine, I honestly have no idea what people are bitching about.

Edit: I'm not dismissing what people are saying, I'm just reporting that it isn't happening to everyone. Or maybe it is... I don't know, I just did a protect the device mission and a lot of the pods were in the device area but I slaughtered them and moved on.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 23, 2017

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Pods run for the transmitter. Its easy to notice if you have a phantom ranger, battle scanner, or reaper. That way, someone is always there to kill the transmitter in case you defend it. If you get the transmitter early enough, pods will walk into your firing lines. I kinda don't mind protect device missions when I have a bunch of grenades. Otherwise, I double move behind the enemies because that's the only way you will get there in time.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Zore posted:

Groundling is a way worse bad trait than anything else. It just gives a to hit bonus if you're above them.

Yeah you're right Groundling is the most useless bad trait a Chosen could get. So revised the potentially most op chosen would have Ablative armor to always get more health, reveal all enemies so reapers can't stealth Banish+Repeater them, Mech Lord for summoning Advent Mecs, Planewalker so they are incredibly mobile & an immunity to explosions so you can't use reliable bomb damage. The weaknesses would barely be weaknesses at all, Groundling is only a slight bonus aim & a Reaper weakness wouldn't matter since they're immune to bombs and would spot a Reaper immediately. I almost want that to happen in my runs.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

snoremac posted:

I thought I was so smooth moving my reaper from civilian to civilian until a faceless burst out and revealed her to a nearby pod who blew her away.

I forget about them every drat time.

I mis-read this as 'I had a sword-ranger, who was in the middle of a Reaper-chain, and was using civilian kills as a way to free-move across the map.'

That's loving GLORIOUS, I'm going to have to see if it's possible!

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I took a crack at my first blacksite today. Turns out that even if you practice perfect stealth and never get a non-concealed unit within visual range of a dormant alien ruler, they'll eventually get bored and move straight next to your hidden Reaper. Archon King as the first ruler with only magnetic weapons is not fun. It also turns out that fighting the Archon King indoors is a terrible idea. Whenever he grabs a soldier and flies up to prepare for a bodyslam, he'll burst through the ceiling and become untargetable by anyone inside the building. Luckily I had brought a psychic along with stasis, or I might have lost my whole A team.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

What? I thought the main strat was to stay indoors so he wouldn't drop missiles on everyone. I never knew that he'd break the ceiling when he wants to Suplex someone.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I'm kind of blown away that Firaxis hasn't released a patch since release of WotC, especially with serious issues like the Brutal bug having no hotfixes or anything to address what can essentially be a game breaking bug (I'm using a mod to address it, but it's still an outrageous oversight).
Also the fact that a lot of the Chosen dialog is unskippable is unforgivable.

I love this game, it's probably the best tactics game I've played since Jagged Alliance 2, but the total lack of fixes has forced me to stop playing for now.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
So, my 3 Rangers couldn't kill the Warlock on my turn, but when it was his turn, Blademaster processed and he died a quick death.
I don't have any Demos on this mission, and I'm glad of it. Holy lol, sword Rangers are cutting everything up. It helps that they have double tap, just holy poo poo, this is a massacre.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Annointed posted:

What? I thought the main strat was to stay indoors so he wouldn't drop missiles on everyone. I never knew that he'd break the ceiling when he wants to Suplex someone.

Well, that might have saved my rear end then. Still got two soldiers knocked unconscious without recourse. It was pretty funny to park my blademaster Templar right where he'd come back down for a free attack each time.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So my one of my soldiers has fear of the lost. I brought him on a lost mission anyways since I thought it only had a chance to proc on the first lost sighting, but apparently subsequent horde spawns can trigger it as well. One of the hordes made him panic, so he made the most brilliant move ever. He decided to throw a grenade at my own squad, hurting several soldiers and summoning another loving horde in the process.

:shepface:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

:toot:

I guess now I kinda have to start researching the Codex Brain and the Stasis Suit that I always put off because WotC + Alien Hunters adds a million research projects and breakthroughs.

temple posted:

Pods run for the transmitter. Its easy to notice if you have a phantom ranger, battle scanner, or reaper. That way, someone is always there to kill the transmitter in case you defend it. If you get the transmitter early enough, pods will walk into your firing lines. I kinda don't mind protect device missions when I have a bunch of grenades. Otherwise, I double move behind the enemies because that's the only way you will get there in time.
Yeah, by the time I reach the transmitter there are probably two pods camping out next to it. I've started just spamming heavy ordnance on the turn I reveal/activate the pod shooting at the transmitter assuming it will hit at least that one pod, but probably more.

Internet Kraken posted:

So my one of my soldiers has fear of the lost. I brought him on a lost mission anyways since I thought it only had a chance to proc on the first lost sighting, but apparently subsequent horde spawns can trigger it as well. One of the hordes made him panic, so he made the most brilliant move ever. He decided to throw a grenade at my own squad, hurting several soldiers and summoning another loving horde in the process.

:shepface:
This is exactly what I expected would happen after reading the first sentence. :allears:

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I never played through Shen's Last Gift or Alien Hunters. If I buy the DLC and start a new game without the War of the Chosen stuff turned on, do I get the improved performance? Or should I go ahead and do a vanilla run with SLG and AH and then start again for War of the Chosen?

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

Crasical posted:

I never played through Shen's Last Gift or Alien Hunters. If I buy the DLC and start a new game without the War of the Chosen stuff turned on, do I get the improved performance?
No.

quote:

Or should I go ahead and do a vanilla run with SLG and AH and then start again for War of the Chosen?
As long as you don't select the Integrated DLC option when you start a WotC campaign you can do the Last Gift and Alien Hunters story missions whenever you feel like it.
And you should wait for a while, because the Rulers are tough and the Last Gift mission is so long everyone that goes on it will be tired for weeks, so you need to have a B team at least.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 23, 2017

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Can anyone recommend some XCOM-likes if there are any?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Silent Storm is AMAZING for scratching that xcom itch, it just suffers lategame narrative balance; they introduce mandatory lovely mechs that ruin the game. But until then, it was probably the best 'X-com that's not actually X-com' until the firaxis reboots. Favorite mechanic: snipers can/must spend multiple turns dumping action points into aiming for a single shot. Blurry textures, but should still hold up ok?

Jagged Alliance 2 has been mentioned. Isometric, but it didn't bother me ten years ago. No idea if it holds up.

Avoid the UFO: After **** series, they look great in trailer but suffer from literally nonexistent AI. (As in, aliens attack-move into you)

Xenonauts: Modern remake. Aims to recreate the 'old faithful feel' and introduces solid cover mechanics (good!). But really puts me off which a bad strategic game, and there keeps cropping up these weird niggles that are strict downgrades from the 90's original (WHY?!). I didn't enjoy as much as I'd have liked, esp after playing XCOM2.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Sep 23, 2017

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I still think Jagged Alliance 2 is the best game in the genre even after all these years. Silent Storm is also good. Xenonauts had a few additions the tactical combat that I liked. You can have people with riot shields that are pretty tanky, but it reduces their offensive output to pitiful levels since they can only use a pistol with the shield out. You get powered armor later on that is fun to use. The enemies are interesting, although the variety ultimately isn't very high. It's a decent game overall, but I also wasn't blown away by it. It's kind of a joke that they still sell it for the original asking price.

Other games:

Darkest Dungeon has both a strategic and a tactical layer, although they're both very different from XCOM. The combat is ultimately pretty shallow, but it's addictive and there's a lot of class and enemy variety. Great presentation and the best narrator in video game history.

Battle Brothers has you take command of a mercenary company. The strategic layer is nearly nonexistent, but you do get to run around in a big sandbox of a game world and possibly see it change pretty dramatically during the late game. The combat is great. There are several enemy factions and they all require different tactics to fight. The writing is good when it goes for humor (thankfully often the case), bad Game of Thrones fan fiction otherwise.

Renowned Explorers: International Society could kinda fit. It's obviously a big departure from the usual thematically, and it's a very condensed experience (it is a roguelike game). But the elements of leveling your crew, unlocking stuff between expeditions and the tactical combat are all still there. I like it a lot, personally, although sometimes it really fucks you over with bad skill rolls during expeditions that leave you circling the drain.

Also, stay away from Hard West. It uses XCOM combat but has no AI, no enemy variety (I guess technically some regenerate), and no balance.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So how do map mods work, I heard I can just add however many I want and they would all work, but I'm not sure how much of that is true.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bholder posted:

So how do map mods work, I heard I can just add however many I want and they would all work, but I'm not sure how much of that is true.

Basically maps are built by what are called plots, which you can think of as big chunks (like a building or that overhead highway) and parcels which fill in gaps (why streets have randomized car and small cover placement)

Map mods just add more plots and parcels for the map builder to draw from when generating missions.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Eschatos posted:

I took a crack at my first blacksite today. Turns out that even if you practice perfect stealth and never get a non-concealed unit within visual range of a dormant alien ruler, they'll eventually get bored and move straight next to your hidden Reaper. Archon King as the first ruler with only magnetic weapons is not fun. It also turns out that fighting the Archon King indoors is a terrible idea. Whenever he grabs a soldier and flies up to prepare for a bodyslam, he'll burst through the ceiling and become untargetable by anyone inside the building. Luckily I had brought a psychic along with stasis, or I might have lost my whole A team.
Don't take this as fact but I think with integrated DLC the order the facilities spawn in is Serpent -> Berzerker -> Archon so if you keep track of which one is which you can have your pick of ruler.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Serephina posted:

Silent Storm is AMAZING for scratching that xcom itch, it just suffers lategame narrative balance; they introduce mandatory lovely mechs that ruin the game. But until then, it was probably the best 'X-com that's not actually X-com' until the firaxis reboots. Favorite mechanic: snipers can/must spend multiple turns dumping action points into aiming for a single shot. Blurry textures, but should still hold up ok?

Jagged Alliance 2 has been mentioned. Isometric, but it didn't bother me ten years ago. No idea if it holds up.

Avoid the UFO: After **** series, they look great in trailer but suffer from literally nonexistent AI. (As in, aliens attack-move into you)

Xenonauts: Modern remake. Aims to recreate the 'old faithful feel' and introduces solid cover mechanics (good!). But really puts me off which a bad strategic game, and there keeps cropping up these weird niggles that are strict downgrades from the 90's original (WHY?!). I didn't enjoy as much as I'd have liked, esp after playing XCOM2.

Thanks. I also saw a lot of JA2 mentions when I was looking for good strategies a while back, so I've gotta try it out. I should've mentioned I've only played Firaxis XCOM so I dunno what the old faithful feel is.

Have also heard good things about Darkest Dungeon but didn't know it was this kind of game.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
For whatever reason I could never get JA2 working on Windows 8.1 or 10 even with the GOG version. Probably best for my vitamin D levels that I didn't.

I really wanted to do my own versions of these but I forgot who landed the kill shot(s) on the Assassin.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Do SPARKs suddenly get XCOM skills when they hit Champion or have I got one too many mods installed to keep track? Mine just rolled Ever Vigilant and Rapid Fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

Do SPARKs suddenly get XCOM skills when they hit Champion or have I got one too many mods installed to keep track? Mine just rolled Ever Vigilant and Rapid Fire.

Thats a mod. Trainable SPARKs updated this morning to force SPARKs generated before it was installed to roll XCOM perks if they didnt have them iirc.