Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Sirs, are Brunswick Kipper Snacks any good? I have never tried kipper before and want to branch out. I need a good starting place but the old awesome OP is deeead

I like em. Kippers are very accessible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
What does kippered mean

This mystery has plagued me a long time but I have been to afraid of judging stares to ask.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It means to cure (a herring or other fish) by splitting it open and salting and drying it in the open air or in smoke.

I literally cut & pasted this from google.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

All sardines taste the same.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

numberoneposter posted:

I will fight you.

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
I just ate some Season brand dines that I found in the British section of the international foods isle... first red flag was the foil lid, then I opened it and there were only 3 huge fishes in the tin.
Very bland.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

numberoneposter posted:

I invite you to my cat pee ones.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Poor dude got dead buds.

naem
May 29, 2011

sure you can pay extra for dines packed in pee but I usually just buy plain and pee in them myself

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

naem posted:

sure you can pay extra for dines packed in pee but I usually just buy plain and pee in them myself

You'll never get that deep permeating piss flavor that you find in dines packed and pasteurized in piss.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Flambeau posted:

I just ate some Season brand dines that I found in the British section of the international foods isle... first red flag was the foil lid, then I opened it and there were only 3 huge fishes in the tin.
Very bland.

First red flag was that it was in a British food section.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Inkfish posted:

Is there a sardine thread on skullmund?

Not yet

Th eposting there is wild and free iykwim

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Sheep-Goats posted:

Not yet

please don't leave us

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop

Zoe posted:

First red flag was that it was in a British food section.

I'm dumb and assumed an island nation would have seafood figured out

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've bought Season a few times, and they're always bland. Costco sells them in bulk, and I often see them in the kosher food section of Publix rather than with the other 'dines. Never gonna fall for them again.

The smaller the 'dines, the tastier they tend to be. I'm done with the cans with three 'dines in them.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Sheep-Goats posted:

Not yet

That's a deal breaker. Sorry.
Hope you still post in this thread sometimes though.

The best brit sardines are John West (marketed as wild caught Scottish sardines). Try find them, I like them over KO, Brunswick and safcol (Baltic, Canadian and Mediterranean seas ones). E: I haven't found any Portuguese or Spanish ones yet to compare with, but John West Scottish ones are good (probably only because they are in better oil TBH).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 21, 2017

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
brisling or bust

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Speaking of brisling, small dines and scottish wild caught, had anyone tried crown prince?
They say 'two layer' and brisling. Also smoked, also in ev olive oil (rather and canola/soy/veg that some brands use - if it wasn't for the bland canola oil I would be happy with $1.50 safcol brand two layer brisling sardines).
I've never seen crown prince here and its $3.70 a tin if I ordered from amazon (before shipping).

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Sep 21, 2017

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Fo3 posted:

Speaking of brisling, small dines and scottish wild caught, had anyone tried crown prince?
They say 'two layer' and brisling. Also smoked, also in ev olive oil (rather and canola/soy/veg that some brands use - if it wasn't for the bland canola oil I would be happy with $1.50 safcol brand two layer brisling sardines).
I've never seen crown prince here and its $3.70 a tin if I ordered from amazon (before shipping).

I have - I didn't think they were quite as nice as KO, but would certainly take them over brands that pack larger, blander fish. They aren't as readily available where I am, and while they are about $0.50 cheaper then KO, the price difference isn't enough to sway me.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

My neighborhood QFC supermarket has a shameful sardine section

Get thee to Fred Meyer.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I resent Crown Prince because I bought their oysters once only to find out they came from China.

Never forget, never forgive.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
When did the OP get hosed up? I need the Fisherman's eggs recipe to see if it would be any good with these dines

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
OP got hosed up off the GBS 2.0 booftrain suicide circlejerk, but was a solid dine poster beforehand. I believe in a better future.

Tomato Basil sauce??? That's some mighty fine spaghetti sauce fixins right there

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Too lazy to make pasta. Fisherman's eggs dines we tonight. Will report back on dines quality.

On opening the can there were maybe 4-6 large dines with a more fishy smell than KO wild caught dines.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
B-but those are herring fillets.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I guess I can't read. Whatever.

They were ok. A little on the salty side.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Found this at Fubonn (the Asian grocery store near where I live in Portland). I like it, and I recognize that I will be stinky for the rest of the day.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Found this at Fubonn (the Asian grocery store near where I live in Portland). I like it, and I recognize that I will be stinky for the rest of the day.

Holy poo poo, is there anything KO can't do? Can I like request cod cheeks packed in EVOO?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
How do you eat canned cod liver? On toast or something?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

All seafood must be consumed on toast it is the law.

Or crackers, which are basically supertoast.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Just eat it with your bare hands. loving landlubbers

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

MetaJew posted:

How do you eat canned cod liver? On toast or something?

I mix it in with my morning kasha. I also use the oil to fry a couple eggs which then goes on top.

On toast is a good second option too. It's got the texture of foie gras, so a little crouton to bring it to your mouth would be a great pairing. Maybe even a little fruit preserves too to cut the fattiness.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i bought a whole bunch of corned beef

will report back

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

That's not sardines

naem
May 29, 2011

EEEEE VEEEEE OOOOOH OOOOOOH

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

numberoneposter posted:

i bought a whole bunch of corned beef

will report back
What brand? Inquiring minds want to know…

Inkfish posted:

That's not sardines
…But pretty darn dadly.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
But it's pretty grandmotherly. Corned silverside is the cheapest beef ($7/kg). Buy it and boil it. Pro moves are soak it then pressure cook it in ginger ale, or soak and then oven cook or sous vide for a long time at low temp for "pastrami."
Only in pastrami mode does it become "dadly"

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Sep 23, 2017

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Not gonna skim through 120 pages to see if this is already been mentioned but holy hell Costco sardines are good

e:
pack of 6 for like :tenbux:

T.S. Smelliot fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 23, 2017

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
heh, look at this moron in the breakfast thread:

quote:

8.5/10 but would be 10/10 with steak instead of leftover rotten fish. Steak n eggs is a thing, fish n eggs is not.

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

yall I got the royal taster's kit for the hot sauce 'dines in the mail and I want to share them with my dad because he #1 likes hot sauce and #2 likes sardines, but he's also doing a low-carb thing right now and I don't know what to do with them. he'd probably just toss them on a salad or something, honestly; I just wanted something to share with him like crackers but... u kno.

I didn't want to cook anything with them for sharing purposes, though fisherman's eggs w/ the hot sauce 'dines sounds really good.