Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Not that anyone was probably all that pumped in thw first but the Orozco-Ortiz co feature to Linares-Luke Campbell was canceled because Orozco came in 7 pounds overweight so tomorrow's HBO card is just the Canelo-GGG replay and Linares-Campbell

Orozco needs to form a triple threat of recent career wasters with Frankie Gomez and Gervonta Davis (who apart from looking like rear end in the MayMac co-main could be facing assault chargers)

https://twitter.com/danrafaelespn/status/911329783400644608

http://www.boxingscene.com/gervonta-davis-facing-first-degree-aggravated-assault-charge--120740

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

lmao

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Amazing

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Joseph Parker v Hughie Fury will be starting soon for anyone interested. It's on ppv on youtube (yes really), streams appear to be as rare as rocking horse poo poo

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

is this the worlds longest national anthem or something

the gently caress is he wearing

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I've got Turkish commentary or something, if it's a controversial decision I can't say I was influenced by commentary

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
parker's got a nice jab. had him winning that one purely on jabs to the body. and the fact that hughie did absolutely nothing.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

parker's a bit poo poo isn't he

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

He's gonna win this just on activity though, Fury being overly negative

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
parker seems to have adjusted and is now charging in and ripping the body which is more effective. glad i didn't pay for this though god drat. hughie needs to actually start fighting.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i was only half watching that but parker was the only one doing any actual fighting there

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I got it 8-4 Parker. Bad fight, basically scored mostly to the one throwing with more intention

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

the right decision. i don't even find the 118-110 cards that wide. parker was the only one doing work. terrible though.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i don't care enough about it to feel any kind of particular way tbh. waste of time

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Hey I guess nobody was watching WBSS but Yunier Dorticos just put Dmitry Kudryashov to sleep in the second round of their fight.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Linares-Campbell turning out nice after it looked like Luke was going to get worked.

Also Danny Jacobs signed a deal with Eddie Hearn-unknown if he's left Haymon-and has multi-fight deal with HBO

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760311

EDIT: Linares wins a split, which I agree with. Apparently one of the judges gave a 10-10 round since the card that went for Campbell was 115-113 and he was knocked down.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 24, 2017

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

totally forgot that fight was happening

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

The SituAsian posted:

Linares-Campbell turning out nice after it looked like Luke was going to get worked.

Also Danny Jacobs signed a deal with Eddie Hearn-unknown if he's left Haymon-and has multi-fight deal with HBO

https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=760311

EDIT: Linares wins a split, which I agree with. Apparently one of the judges gave a 10-10 round since the card that went for Campbell was 115-113 and he was knocked down.

The combination of Campbell getting shocked by the step-up in competition and Linares' trait of fading after frontrunning made this a much better fight than I anticipated.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Hey I guess nobody was watching WBSS but Yunier Dorticos just put Dmitry Kudryashov to sleep in the second round of their fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLxwhjrEnK4

Not too surprising because Kudryashov is the dictionary definition of live by the sword die by the sword. Dorticos looked sharp and so far so good for the WBSS in terms of delivering. Kudryashov also made a pretty funny face while on the canvas

https://twitter.com/redeyeLsmoker/status/911794966019629056

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Kudryashov is an interesting fighter, he's got two degrees and works as a civil servant but fights like gorilla that's been taught only hate

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i haven't watched canelo / ggg since it happened, and i don't know who 'the modern martial artist' is, but i just watched a breakdown of some of the things that happened during the fight and it's incredible. i've really, really gotta watch that fight again. they are both monsters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R34AnGmQ6vo

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That is a cool video. Slowing it down really lets you see what a chess match it was.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

yeah i didn't pick up on a lot of the adjustments either guy made / attempted to make as i was to busy screaming at the television and arguing with a canelo fan. i don't think i gave canelo enough credit.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
3:40 of that video was my favorite part of the fight. those two dudes seems like they have a huge amount of respect for eachother which makes the fight better imho

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Rewatching I still think it's 7-5 or 8-4 Golovkin. You'd have to stretch it to give the draw, I don't think anybody would have complained had GGG been given the nod.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

my first watch i had it 10-2 ggg (which i still consider a reasonable card), but upon rewatch this morning 8-4. 7-5 ggg if you gave canelo every round he was remotely competitive in. you have to see poo poo that isn't there to score a draw, and a canelo win is out of the question in my opinion but hey. hopefully canelo goes for the rematch, but i've got a sneaking suspicion he doesn't want to do that again. happy to be wrong.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

A draw is a reasonable card, but I don't think it's the correct one.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I had it 9-3 with Canelo winning the first three but a few of the last rounds could have went either way and my ggg bias probably influenced me.

A draw may have been a reasonable but I don't think that should excuse a 10-2 Canelo win, even if it didn't affect the "reasonable" outcome. Byrd needs to get out of boxing and never come back.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I barely understood what I was looking at, even as I enjoyed it immensely, so I was glad I could nod and say 'I feel like a draw is the right result' and look knowledgeable next to the people I was with who also barely understood what they were looking at.

loving amazing fight.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Marching Powder posted:

my first watch i had it 10-2 ggg (which i still consider a reasonable card), but upon rewatch this morning 8-4. 7-5 ggg if you gave canelo every round he was remotely competitive in. you have to see poo poo that isn't there to score a draw, and a canelo win is out of the question in my opinion but hey. hopefully canelo goes for the rematch, but i've got a sneaking suspicion he doesn't want to do that again. happy to be wrong.

yeah i also gave him 4 or being generous 5 rounds. cool fight tho

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

that bad scorecard got everyone talking about that instead of demanding a rematch

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I think my favorite part of that video is how Canelo worked to take away the right and GGG realized it and started faking with it and Canelo's reactions are funny for a punch that doesn't come.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Danny LaFever posted:

I think my favorite part of that video is how Canelo worked to take away the right and GGG realized it and started faking with it and Canelo's reactions are funny for a punch that doesn't come.

Canelo's movements there were pretty effective at keeping him out of harm's way, but this is probably what led to him getting so exhausted. It burns so much energy to be constantly wound tight like that.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Golovkin is now Ring magazine's pound for pound number 1 and he'll be ESPN's soon as well (Ward was 1 and he was 2 as of 8/31)

https://www.ringtv.com/ratings/

EDIT: In case you're all like "gently caress Ring magazine" top 10:

Golovkin
Crawford
Lomachenko
Rigondeaux
Kovalev
Canelo
Mikey
Inoue
Spence Jr.
Sor Rungvisai

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 28, 2017

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I think that's a fair list, I'd also say though that the difference between the first seven or so names on that list is pretty minimal. I'm sure not looking forward to giving my own list for New Years.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I really liked watching sorungvisai against choco both times does he have any other cool fights?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Gay Horney posted:

I really liked watching sorungvisai against choco both times does he have any other cool fights?

His only other significant fight was a loss to Carlos Cuadras IIRC

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

The Ninth Layer posted:

I think that's a fair list, I'd also say though that the difference between the first seven or so names on that list is pretty minimal. I'm sure not looking forward to giving my own list for New Years.

Unless GGG or Crawford fight again this year it will probably be a logjam between them and the Loma/Rigo winner with everyone else fairly far behind

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I was curious about the PPV performance of Canelo-Golovkin, the numbers came out and the fight did 1.3 million buys. That's far short of the 2 million buy estimates that were floating around, but it's also the best PPV showing Canelo's been a part of since he fought Floyd in 2013. That's good news for the prospects of an immediate rematch; Golovkin's a more lucrative foe than Chavez Jr. was, and there aren't many Chavez Jr.'s around for Canelo to make good money from. Also worth noting is that this was the third-highest boxing gate of all time after Mayweather's fights with Pacquiao and McGregor, another good sign for the rematch coming off.

I think between these two, it may be Canelo that benefits more from rematch adjustments. I thought Golovkin won the fight with his aggression and pressure, but I was also surprised by how elusive Canelo proved to be. Alvarez has never been a mover but his upper body movement has improved a lot. His stamina is his biggest weakness, hopefully he'll be addressing that in training. Golovkin needs to start faster in the second fight, but I also think he needs to work on hitting a moving target. Against Jacobs and Canelo he's looked just a moment too late on a lot of his offense. He also has to figure out a way to get to Alvarez' body without eating counters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

if canelo isn't willing to trust his chin will stand up to some of golovkin's best shots or he'll gas again. he used way too much energy avoiding being hit. great for staying alive, not great for winning fights. canelo had to box perfectly to win the rounds he did, and most of them were razor close. he needs to be on the front foot for way longer in the next fight, and i do believe he can do it, but golovkin only needs one.