Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Double Punctuation posted:

I've never fully understood the 4GB thing. It just means better textures and shaders for vanilla, right? Can't SE already use 8GB+ of VRAM?

I think its only a dx9 thing, yeah, and if you're hitting 4gb vram You Are A Crazy Person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

I've never fully understood the 4GB thing. It just means better textures and shaders for vanilla, right? Can't SE already use 8GB+ of VRAM?
Looking at places like Reddit, you're not the only who doesn't fully understand it.
On Win8, 8.1 & 10 DirectX 9 applications such as the original Skyrim cannot use more then 4GB of VRAM. There will be a fix for Win10 in the upcoming Fall Creator update. But realistically you need to use crazy unoptimized textures & meshes for you to hit that cap.
System RAM usage is not affected by this. Skyrim's executable is a 32-bit application that has the large address aware flag set, so on a 64-bit OS it will be able to use a maximum of 4GB of RAM. You'll need the memory fix incorporated in SKSE for that since as a parting gift Bethesda screwed something up in how the game handles memory. But if you ever find yourself hitting that system RAM cap, then what the hell are you even doing to manage that?

The Special Edition is 64bit application & uses DirectX 11and is not affected by either cap.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
So it's just not a big deal then. I think some people might be assuming it will give them more than 4 GB of virtual address space, which is practically impossible. How many people actually have video cards with more than 4 GB of VRAM?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

So it's just not a big deal then. I think some people might be assuming it will give them more than 4 GB of virtual address space, which is practically impossible. How many people actually have video cards with more than 4 GB of VRAM?

The 6gig 1060 is pretty cheap.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
As more people buy Ultra-Widescreen 4K monitors there will definitely be a growing market for >4gb cards.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Nevets posted:

As more people buy Ultra-Widescreen 4K monitors there will definitely be a growing market for >4gb cards.

If you don't roll ultrawide you are doing wrong imho

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

any ideas why all the soldiers who used to wear heavy imperial armor are now naked in my game? or how i could fix it?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Is there a non-crap crossbow mod? They all seem phoned-in like they just mash various weapon meshes together and call it a crossbow.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gonkish posted:

Is there a non-crap crossbow mod? They all seem phoned-in like they just mash various weapon meshes together and call it a crossbow.

No, and give Cecil a goddamn potion already.

Edit: To elaborate, every crossbow mod I've seen uses the same meshes.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 23, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
What's weird about this?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

What's weird about this?

i bet if you showed this picture to the guy who made the "bows that look kinda boring but actually make sense in the real-bow world" mod, you'd annihilate both in a burst of energy

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

This is a game where viking Jesus yells at the apocalypse and makes it stop. I don't give a gently caress about realism, and neither should you. This isn't a game of Roy.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I would expect filthy elven weapons to be gaudy as possible

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agents are GO! posted:

This is a game where viking Jesus yells at the apocalypse and makes it stop. I don't give a gently caress about realism, and neither should you. This isn't a game of Roy.

~my immersion~ :qq:

realtalk: I'm a sucker for realistic looking items and don't like gaudy effects. That crossbow is terrible.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Agents are GO! posted:

Practicality still has a place though. An apocalypse-yelling-away Viking Jesus will still get that goofy crossbow caught on every leather strap on their outfit when trying to pull it off their back, get snagged on every branch and bush they duck under and the thing with be shaking loose sequins like grandmas night on the town outfit from 1975.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

What's weird about this?

This is art.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

~my immersion~ :qq:

realtalk: I'm a sucker for realistic looking items and don't like gaudy effects. That crossbow is terrible.

Yeah, it's not so much that it's gaudy and stupid, it's that it's a lazy mishmash of meshes. I'd much prefer decent models that actually pretend to feel functional.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Aethernautics space guns or nothing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

skyblivion
http://www.mediafire.com/file/efc7unn5scrkgjz/Skyblivion.7z
extra textures for skyblivion
http://www.mediafire.com/file/v9tczuzo05fjffv/3AMt.7z

console command "cow tes4tamriel 5 10" to visit the worldspace

this is the indev build, recent as of a few months ago

its REAL WEIRD

mbt fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 27, 2017

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Why is it weird?

But... Cyrodiil already exists in a newer engine (in TES:O) and it is still boring and bland area just like in the original game!

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Why is it weird?

But... Cyrodiil already exists in a newer engine (in TES:O) and it is still boring and bland area just like in the original game!

'newer engine' is being, perhaps, grossly generous for a decade old engine that barely worked when it was released.

Magmarashi fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 27, 2017

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://bethesda.net/en/article/5lz4Q7F4li6kwKmakkgWww/skyrim-survival-mode-coming-soon

When the gently caress did Chesko sell out? What all did I miss since I closed the old skyrim modding thread???

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I didn't see any mention of Chesko anywhere in there, but he was one of the participants in the paid mods fiasco so it wouldn't surprise me.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Like loving clockwork a new update to break the just unveiled SKSE64. Hahaha. I still don't buy into the idea that Bethesda is trying to kill SKSE64, because I don't think they've got their poo poo together enough to follow through on such a plan.

Scyantific posted:

When the gently caress did Chesko sell out? What all did I miss since I closed the old skyrim modding thread???

Half or more of the features in Fallout 4 began as super-popular mods. This is what Bethesda does.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Yeah it's a thousand times more likely that they'll just update Skyrim SE whenever they feel like it because they want to and don't care if it breaks SKSE64 than that they actively want to kill the whole project.

eta: That too.
\/\/\/\/

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 27, 2017

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If Bethesda really wanted to kill SKSE64 they wouldn't gently caress around with passive-aggressively breaking it with updates, they'd sic their lawyers on the folks developing it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Like loving clockwork a new update to break the just unveiled SKSE64. Hahaha. I still don't buy into the idea that Bethesda is trying to kill SKSE64, because I don't think they've got their poo poo together enough to follow through on such a plan.
Updating the script extenders for a new patch isn't really a big deal. The guys behind xSE have automated tools that handle the bulk of the work for that.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

docbeard posted:

If Bethesda really wanted to kill SKSE64 they wouldn't gently caress around with passive-aggressively breaking it with updates, they'd sic their lawyers on the folks developing it.

and blast their dwindling good will

Raygereio posted:

Updating the script extenders for a new patch isn't really a big deal. The guys behind xSE have automated tools that handle the bulk of the work for that.

oh yeah? then why didnt get do that on day 1
checkmate raygario

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

docbeard posted:

There weird 'They're trying to kill X!' conspiracy theories always bothered me because of this. They don't have to play fifth dimensional chess to kill something, they have lawyers and enough money to bury anyone in legal process even IF their reasoning is flimsy. If they wanted it dead, they would have pulled the trigger already.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

and blast their dwindling good will

oh yeah? then why didnt get do that on day 1
checkmate raygario

Because they need a base set of info (which needed to be rebuilt entirely in the first place because 64bit), then use automated tools to check differences between patches.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Maybe its just sour grapes on my part, but reading through the description of survival mode, it only takes a couple console commands and a few Chesko-like mods like Hypothermia and iNeed or Realistic Needs & Diseases to get all of those features. It'd be nice to have them integrated into the game because that would presumably make them more stable and mod compatible, but I'd think a decent SKSE64 would be way more important. SKSE has no substitute and Bethesda is never going to make one.

A quick and dirty survival challenge is to use the console to join the Forsworn faction and go feral. Might want to wait 'till after the shout quest though, unless you're using a clothing-as-disguise mod too. Tons of fun on top of survival mods and a food removal mod like You Hunger. It's weird feeling ignoring almost all loot because the only things you want are things you can eat, drink, or wear.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Syd Midnight posted:

Maybe its just sour grapes on my part, but reading through the description of survival mode, it only takes a couple console commands and a few Chesko-like mods like Hypothermia and iNeed or Realistic Needs & Diseases to get all of those features. It'd be nice to have them integrated into the game because that would presumably make them more stable and mod compatible, but I'd think a decent SKSE64 would be way more important. SKSE has no substitute and Bethesda is never going to make one.

A quick and dirty survival challenge is to use the console to join the Forsworn faction and go feral. Might want to wait 'till after the shout quest though, unless you're using a clothing-as-disguise mod too. Tons of fun on top of survival mods and a food removal mod like You Hunger. It's weird feeling ignoring almost all loot because the only things you want are things you can eat, drink, or wear.
Pretty much this. It's just Bethesda trying to cash in on what's left of the Skyrim crowd on consoles, basically.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
I've been playing the Special Edition with a decently sized modlist (63 installed at the moment) and it's been surprisingly stable. I suspect I'm going to change that if I install some of the stuff I'm looking at.

At the moment, I've got the EnaiSiaion mods, iNeed, Campfire/Frostfall/Wet and Cold, Hunterborn, Interesting NPCs, and Deadly Combat + Combat Evolved as my "big mods".

I'm considering adding Warzones (because the Civil War is way too boring as it stands), Jobs of Skyrim/The Notice Board (for more sidequests to do), and Thieves Guild For Good Guys to my save. How bad of an idea is this?
Also, has anyone used AFT for SSE? Does it actually work well or should I stay away from it?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Kenlon posted:

Also, has anyone used AFT for SSE? Does it actually work well or should I stay away from it?

I use it and doubt I would ever play without it.

The Notice Board is okay, it's the same radiant quests over and over in different locations. Fetch this, kill that, rescue so & so, etc.

Also, probably everyone already knows but CBBE SSE dropped today.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/198/

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is there no Mod organizer for special edition? It says he's disbanded it on the Nexus page. What do you guys use to manage SE mods?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

MSDOS command line commands. Get on our level.

(I use Wrye Bash. Apparently MO2 works for SE, but I didn't feel like redoing my whole setup.)

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm about to start a fresh mod-and-maybe-play using SkyrimSE and MO2. I'll post how it goes, though no promises on timing.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

I'm about to start a fresh mod-and-maybe-play using SkyrimSE and MO2. I'll post how it goes, though no promises on timing.
I'm curious to see how this goes, because I'm still holding off putting time into modding SE until the situation settles with SKSE and mod managers. MO is dead, MO2 is maintained by 3rd party coders and had a bad reputation for stability at the start, Nexus's new manager ("Vortex") by the author of MO (tannin) is not out yet, and NMM is in volunteer-only maintenance mode on Github.

If SKSE:SE drops out of alpha soon and MO2 has stabilized then I'm good to go.

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Is there a good crafting mod (like CACO) for SSE yet? I haven't found anything that looked like it would work and play well with Ordinator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I use the popular better vampires mod. Is there a way to make sneak feeding on someone awake never fail? I hate biting them and instead of them dying they run off screaming and now the whole town is attacking me.