Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

mandatory lesbian posted:

tribal sealed decks don't work very well cause you are only looking at 6 packs to find synergistic cards rather then 24 like draft

Yeah, I completely agree. That absolutely didn't stop people from trying to force it, though. Merfolk tribal actually did well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Brownhat posted:

From the Judgeapps posting for GP Santa Clara:

I just compared it to the comp for GP New Jersey. They're actually giving out more now. $25 less cash all around for the roles, but each role also gets at least one box of product now where they didn't before. I could easily flip a box for at least $70.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Omar al-Bishie posted:

played another FNM with the mtg Goldfish budget mono-white human deck I've been playing and actually won a round! it was vs a guy who was practicing a new deck, though.

I have a problem: other decks seem to put out blockers just as easily as I do, and often they're stronger and then I'm stuck just sitting there. there was a deck with this blade splicer that put out 3/3 first strike golems and I just couldn't get past them. any advice? maybe using brave the elements offensively?

Using Brave the Elements offensively is OK if it can end the game or leads to "every-creature-is-lethal-next-turn" but it only works against single color teams (not too much of a problem) and won't help you against something like Blade Splicer's golem token since it's a colorless artifact.

You best options against something like Blade Splicer is to Path the Golem.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Captivating crusaders is a fuckin busted limited card when you flip cradle.

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Siren lookout: Explore is great, no two ways about it. A 2/3 flier that puts contract killing into my hand?

:thunk:

(You're probably just doing that magic player overexaggerating oversimplification thing but explore does not draw nonlands, to be clear to people reading.)

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Got back from midnight prerelease where I placed 4th out of a field of 38 and had a nap so now I'm ready for posting.

I played BG Explore midrange since literally all of my bombs were green and all of my removal was in black. Two best card in my pool were the vraska's contempt (promo) and the rip jaw raptor.

Couple takeaways from the event and the limited environment:
1. Explore is way better than I thought it would be, the filtering it provides in colors that otherwise wouldn't be available in is invaluable.
2. Treasure seems way worse than I thought it would be. Once I got to the level where I was playing my treasure makers it seemed wholly irrelevant outside of one time it let me cast an ancient brontodon
3. Best removal is in black, mostly because it doesn't trigger enrage

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

mandatory lesbian posted:

tribal sealed decks don't work very well cause you are only looking at 6 packs to find synergistic cards rather then 24 like draft

The only playable deck in my pool last night was BG so that was a miserable experience.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Mezzanon posted:

I mean, I think the deck is very powerful, and can attack on more than one axis, plus I think most lists are running refurbish as well.

There was an SCG video yesterday that was gifts vs blue based favorable winds, and those have been two of the decks I've been considering for standard.

mcmagic is usually good at finding niche standard decks, and that's pretty much my jam.

As a side note: If people think that gifts is a dead deck they won't sideboard graveyard hate, if they don't sideboard graveyard hate, the gifts deck is bananas.

I think it could be a way to attack the format if the level 1 metagame shakes out in such a way that people aren't equipped for it. Someone might win a GP with it a few weeks into the format, whereupon the metagame readjusts and it gets hated out. I don't think it will ever be a tier 1 deck.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

just got home from my prerelease, came in 9/44 (4-2) and won 4 boosters! I played against not one but two guys with 6-figure DCI numbers and even beat one of them 2-0. Most importantly though the people there were all extremely cool with me being an absolute noob and helped me out after the games; even had a beer with the old-school dude I ran over 2-0. I ran BW since I opened a Vona (rest of my rares and my promo weren't great) and I had enough vampire synergy, some fliers and 2-3 removal spells to make it work. Was so excited I ended up buying both planeswalker decks for kitchen table play. pretty hype for this Magic poo poo right about now!

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 23, 2017

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Nice. GF and I are about to go to ours and see how it shakes out. I did pretty well with a R/U deck in HOU prerelease and it looks like there are some nice tempo blue/merfolk cards I'd like to try.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Katana Gomai posted:

just got home from my prerelease, came in 9/44 (4-2) and won 4 boosters! I played against not one but two guys with 6-figure DCI numbers and even beat one of them 2-0. Most importantly though the people there were all extremely cool with me being an absolute noob and helped me out after the games; even had a beer with the old-school dude I ran over 2-0. I ran BW since I opened a Varu (rest of my rares and my promo weren't great) and I had enough vampire synergy, some fliers and 2-3 removal spells to make it work. Was so excited I ended up buying both planeswalker decks for kitchen table play. pretty hype for this Magic poo poo right about now!

That's a horrible, horrible payout

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

GonSmithe posted:

In my country every tournament outside of PPTQs or Game Days are pack a win.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

GonSmithe posted:

Welcome to Magic.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

GonSmithe posted:

Well it was 25€ and two boosters per player went into the pool. They stretched the payout all the way down to rank 18 (starting at one booster for ranks 15-18; first place got 12) which I am ok with in a casual event. Obviously now that I came in at 9th I would have preferred the payout to only cover the top 25% or whatever but hey, it's prerelease.

GoutPatrol posted:

In my country every tournament outside of PPTQs or Game Days are pack a win.

Well since we went six rounds that means there would have been 3 boosters in the pool per player instead of two; I know that makes basically no difference w/r/t cost for the LGS (booster boxes retail at 90€ so a single booster costs them like what, 1.30€? And we each paid 25€ to play) but it is what it is. I guess I can see that, but then again, that means the winner who went 6-0 only get 6 boosters instead of the twelve he ended up getting. And either way I ended up getting four.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 23, 2017

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Places tend to vary the way they pay out pre-releases, depending on what crowd they're after.

My store does £20 entry with 6-4-2-...-2 prizes which is slightly bizarre.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

mossyfisk posted:

Places tend to vary the way they pay out pre-releases, depending on what crowd they're after.

My store does £20 entry with 6-4-2-...-2 prizes which is slightly bizarre.

I'm honestly confused by what you mean.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The local store here does 4 packs per player in the prize pool for prereleases. There are "casual" events where you get 4 packs at the end regardless of record, and "competitive" events which are 4 rounds, 2 packs per win/1 pack for a draw.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I went 3-0 and then split the last round so I could go home and sleep. Played U/G tempo Merfolk with Waker of the Wilds, the guy that makes all your +1/+1 counter guys unblockable, and the 3/3 flash flying Siren Pirate. The deck was okay, I only got to go off with Waker of the Wilds once but it was a huge beating.

Format seems fun, R/G Dinosaurs looks insanely strong. The dinosaurs are just so loving big and Enrage is a very strong mechanic.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.
My local store does a "pity pack" if you go under 2-1-1, 4-0 nets you 8 packs. Really good prize payout, and I've definitely used the pity pack system a few times.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
The store I normally plays caps at 4 rounds. 4-0 gets 14, 3-1 gets 6, everyone else gets 1. There are usually between 30-50 players.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

LordAbaddon posted:

Got back from midnight prerelease where I placed 4th out of a field of 38 and had a nap so now I'm ready for posting.

I played BG Explore midrange since literally all of my bombs were green and all of my removal was in black. Two best card in my pool were the vraska's contempt (promo) and the rip jaw raptor.

Couple takeaways from the event and the limited environment:
1. Explore is way better than I thought it would be, the filtering it provides in colors that otherwise wouldn't be available in is invaluable.
2. Treasure seems way worse than I thought it would be. Once I got to the level where I was playing my treasure makers it seemed wholly irrelevant outside of one time it let me cast an ancient brontodon
3. Best removal is in black, mostly because it doesn't trigger enrage
Did you play in vegas cuz my only loss was to literally this deck after i forgot carnage tyrant had trample

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

gif Probst posted:

Did you play in vegas cuz my only loss was to literally this deck after i forgot carnage tyrant had trample

Nah, I play up in North eastern PA and even do I didn't pull a carnage tyrant in my initial pull.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

how does protection from color work against multicolored things? if a creature is B/W and I protect from white am I safe from said creature?

e: in xmage I protected my creatures from white and orzhov pontiff still -1/-1 and wiped my board, I thought they'd be safe

a pale ghost fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 23, 2017

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Omar al-Bishie posted:

how does protection from color work against multicolored things? if a creature is B/W and I protect from white am I safe from said creature?

Correct, a multi-colored b/w creature is both black and white unless otherwise specified on the card.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

e: in xmage I protected my creatures from white and orzhov pontiff still -1/-1 and wiped my board, I thought they'd be safe

Pontiff's ability does not target or do damage, just says creatures you don't control get -1/-1. Example if it said "deals 1 damage to each creature you don't control" then your guys would be safe. These types of things are a bit confusing initially with mtg but make sense down the line.

Dehtraen fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 23, 2017

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

ohhhhh so if there's no target I can't protect against it? I figured you could just protect against any effect a card had, I didn't realize it worked a different way. thanks!

xmage is very helpful for this, it's nice having a rules engine guiding you

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
Not related to any of my current posts or any current discussion but people.... play more than 4 or 5 creatures in your sealed deck and make sure your creatures aren't just 1/1's and 2/2's, you need to eventually win the game.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

ohhhhh so if there's no target I can't protect against it? I figured you could just protect against any effect a card had, I didn't realize it worked a different way. thanks!

Stolen from the internet because I didn't want to type it all up... check it!

Protection is easiest to remember with the acronym DEBT. The object with protection cannot be:

Damaged by sources with the specified quality.
Enchanted or equipped by permanents with the specified quality.
Blocked by creatures with the specified quality.
Targeted by spells with the specified quality, or by abilities from sources of that quality.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Omar al-Bishie posted:

Handy guide for protection:

Damage
Enchanted/Equipped
Blocked
Target

A protected creature cannot be dealt damage, enchanted/equipped, blocked, or targeted by sources of the protected variety.

Fake edit: what they said ^

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

so, for example, cryptic command tapping all my creatures doesn't specifically target my creatures, so I can't prevent it? because I also ran into that issue as well

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Omar al-Bishie posted:

so, for example, cryptic command tapping all my creatures doesn't specifically target my creatures, so I can't prevent it? because I also ran into that issue as well

Yep! "Blanket" effects like that cannot be protected against unless they specifically deal damage.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

My store's payouts are horrible. Sixty people for prerelease with a total prize pool of 108 packs and a THIRTY FIVE dollar buy in.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

TheMaestroso posted:

Handy guide for protection:

Enchanted/Equipped/Fortified

Important for if you animate your lands and give them protection.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Yarrrr

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Sweet playmat brah

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Omar al-Bishie posted:

If you ever wondered why new cards with Protection effects aren't really printed anymore, well, now you know!

It's a cool effect, but it's often unintuitive.

a pale ghost
Dec 31, 2008

you're the second person I've seen with that playmat and it owns

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

mossyfisk posted:

Important for if you animate your lands and give them protection.

What do you mean?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Anybody have thoughts on Esper Gifts for standard? You lose cathartic reunion but can roll with Chart a Course and strategic planning and black gives you Hostage Takers and the new flying brain maggot both as regular plays and as reanimation targets.

Standard

Creatures (21)

4 Stormtamer Siren
4 Angel of Invention
4 Champion of Wits
3 Hostage Taker
3 Minister of Inquiries
3 Sunscourge Champion
3 Kitesail Freebooter

Lands (21

4 Island
4 Plains
4 Aether Hub
2 Concealed Courtyard
2 Drowned Catacomb
3 Glacial Fortress
2 Ipnu Rivulet

Spells (16)

4 God-Pharaoh's Gift
4 Chart a Course
3 Refurbish
4 Strategic Planning

Sideboard

3 Cataclysmic Gearhulk
3 Authority of the Consuls
2 Cast Out
3 Negate
2 Duress
2 Fumigate

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 24, 2017

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dehtraen posted:

Enchanted or equipped by permanents with the specified quality.

The word is "attached". This means that Angelic Curator can't equip a goddamn thing, as that would require attaching the equipment to it, and it can't have artifacts attached to it.

Progenitus has Protection from Everything, that unilaterally applies the entire DEBT thing in absolute statements. It can't be damaged, things can't be attached to it, it can't be targeted, and it can't be blocked.

True-Name Nemesis has protection from a chosen player, which is kinda wonky to grasp. It means that things controlled by the chosen player are stopped. It can't be damaged by sources controlled by the chosen player, etc.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Playing for the first time in like eighteen months. This set doesn't really seem great but my pool certainly isn't helping. I love playing tempo but oh boy I'm lacking quality cards for literally any gameplan. Three of my rares are m12 lands

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Trip report from three 3 round pre-releasee, haven't played for 2.5 years and didn't bother to read spoilers.

1st deck was black-blue pirates/merfolk, lots of removal and some small evaders and it was an easy 3-0.

2nd deck was aggro red-green dinos, dropped my first match 2-1 to double flood, otherwise built with the low end in mind it did decent work. Definitely viable but only if you avoid most of the big durdly stuff. Ended up 2-1.

3rd deck was aggro white-red dinos, went 2-1-0 , the draw was to an almost identical deck. the 1/7 dino is really strong for gumming up the board. I had a lot of the poo poo that taps stuff.

Overall 7-1-1 for the day which was pretty good I think. Roll on GP Liverpool.