Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Raygereio posted:

That said, Bethesda could have called it DLC and it wouldn't have given you automatic access with a Season Pass. I mean if a company says the Season Pass gives you access to 6 DLCs and they then release a 7th. Whelp, you're not getting that DLC number 7 unless you pay extra for it.

Naw, when they decided to do more DLC they bumped the price of the season pass and promised existing owners of the pass they would still get all the DLC. The complaining they would get for doing more DLC not included would be phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

isndl posted:

Naw, when they decided to do more DLC they bumped the price of the season pass

Hah, I remember this. They said they had to raise the price because of the huge value of DLC they were going to be delivering. :downsrim:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Raygereio posted:

I mean if a company says the Season Pass gives you access to 6 DLCs and they then release a 7th. Whelp, you're not getting that DLC number 7 unless you pay extra for it.

Ubisoft did exactly this with Anno 2205. They put out the pre-planned number of DLC's, then decided to make another one & not give it season pass owners. There was a huge shitstorm and they changed their minds.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

isndl posted:

Naw, when they decided to do more DLC they bumped the price of the season pass and promised existing owners of the pass they would still get all the DLC. The complaining they would get for doing more DLC not included would be phenomenal.
Yeah. Like I said, that's why Bethesda's PR has constantly been repeating that these are "Creations" and not DLC. Despite them obviously being DLC. That's part of them trying to avoid the PR poo poo show.
But I'm pretty sure there's nothing really binding about Season Passes. Legally it would probably depend on the exact wording that was used to market the Season Pass and I can't recall what that was back when the Season Pass launched.:shrug: Right now on Steam store it just says it gives you access to the 7 DLCs.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I, for one, sure do love the idea of forcing f4se and all the mods that use it to update every time Bethesda releases yet another pile of low effort garbage on their store. That's a fantastic way to support the mod community and not at all prone to problems. :allears:

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

I wouldn't be at all suprised if Valve or Microsoft or Sony gets pissed off and tells Bethesda to stop using their content delivery systems to provide what is DLC in everything but name which they don't get a cut from.

And in the meantime I'll bet a site hosting an historical repository of fallout 4 executables will become so popular the F4SE team will start not bothering to update with each new version, waiting until the changelog actuslly has some good stuff to work on updating to that one; and otherwise just telling people to download the old executable matching the latest version of F4SE.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nevets posted:

I wouldn't be at all suprised if Valve or Microsoft or Sony gets pissed off and tells Bethesda to stop using their content delivery systems to provide what is DLC in everything but name which they don't get a cut from.

Valve killed it last time, which is why this time around it's not via Steam.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

MikeJF posted:

But it is, all this :airquote: content :airquote: is being uploaded through Steam via patches.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Back Hack posted:

But it is, all this :airquote: content :airquote: is being uploaded through Steam via patches.

True. And I assume their attempt to circumvent the existing DLC systems Valve and Microsoft and Sony have is why they have to download all content to everyone, too. It's all just so... stupid.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

MikeJF posted:

Isn't the virtual currency bought via Steam?

One must presume, that Steam get's their cut, and as long as they get their cut, we all know what Steam will do.

Nothing.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

RagnarokZ posted:

Isn't the virtual currency bought via Steam?

One must presume, that Steam get's their cut, and as long as they get their cut, we all know what Steam will do.

Nothing.

I assume Valve got their cut last time and they still killed it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Even if the system worked perfectly, paid cosmetic items for a single player game is blow-me-away levels of stupid.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

dont even fink about it posted:

Even if the system worked perfectly, paid cosmetic items for a single player game is blow-me-away levels of stupid.

Hey I have to keep myself from buying costume packs for SF4 even though I have nobody to play it with... :|

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Welcome to the 2017 video game industry. Hope you like loot boxes!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I thought I knew what to expect but I didn't realise quite how faithful it was :v:

That is indeed pretty great.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/26987/ 私は日本語のみ話す

gently caress yeah,

Edit, cannot host image.

staberind fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 24, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Terrorforge posted:

Welcome to the 2017 video game industry. Hope you like loot boxes!

Most (nearly all?) games with loot boxes are for games where at least another human will see the strange decisions you made.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really

Most (nearly all?) games with loot boxes are for games where at least another human will see the strange decisions you made.

It was more of a snarky take on general the state of things. The only example of literal single-player lootboxes I am curently aware of is the upcoming Shadow of Mordor sequel, but microtransactions in general are creeping further and further into the single-player space. Hell, the latest NBA game essentially has a full-blown "freemium" economy going, where everything worth doing costs way too much of a premium currency you buy with real money.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Terrorforge posted:

It was more of a snarky take on general the state of things. The only example of literal single-player lootboxes I am curently aware of is the upcoming Shadow of Mordor sequel, but microtransactions in general are creeping further and further into the single-player space. Hell, the latest NBA game essentially has a full-blown "freemium" economy going, where everything worth doing costs way too much of a premium currency you buy with real money.

Pirate because I was cheap and had no money, then pirate because no-cd cracks were more convenient. Then, go legit because Steam makes it easy only to jump back to piracy to skip the whole single-player microtransaction thing :v:

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

Pirate because I was cheap and had no money, then pirate because no-cd cracks were more convenient. Then, go legit because Steam makes it easy only to jump back to piracy to skip the whole single-player microtransaction thing :v:

Ubisoft gave me the same feeling, some companies release a no steam patch, but yeh.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I watched Yong Yea's latest video on the creation club, and it seems that payment is set up like freelance contracting: modders get a one time payout when Bethesda accepts their content oroposal, and all sales once the mod goes up on CC go into Bethesda's pockets.

isndl
May 2, 2012
It sounds like it's supposed to get around any user generated content restrictions because Bethesda can say 'no look we own this content free and clear' but at the same time still advertise it as user made content.

Unless the one time payment is extremely substantial though I don't see how anyone can make money selling their work to Bethesda without churning out low effort stuff nonstop.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

isndl posted:

Unless the one time payment is extremely substantial though I don't see how anyone can make money selling their work to Bethesda without churning out low effort stuff nonstop.
Low effort stuff is exactly what this was meant for.
I can easily see Bethesda outright refusing any proposal that involves quests more complicated then "Go to X and kill dude Y for reward Z" or anything that overhauls existing systems like combat, stealth, lootlists, etc. Both require some actual investment of time in QA from Bethesda's part and the latter would inevitably lead to two "Creations" being incompatible with eachother.
Maybe Bethesda is going change that since the the main feedback for the Creation Club was "this is low effort stuff, we want actual content". But I doubt that.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Even the user-created content that's on there hasn't been tested. Like, at all. I mentioned it a few pages back, but the shotgun's sights don't line up unless you're using the default receiver. It's a simple oversight that should have been caught by their vaunted "QA", and yet there's now a mod for this mod on the nexus that fixes the loving sights. :psyduck:

Bethesda's whole "QA" process for this poo poo is just loading it up in-game and making sure it doesn't crash the game instantly. That's all.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Videos I see of Atomguard seem both pretty great and pretty lame at the same time. A lot of the initially reported bugs graphical or gameplay have been fixed but the spelling mistakes have not which is a bit annoying (Log coat insteaf of Long coat). The dialogue choices also seem to come from an anime or fan fiction at the best of times.

Has anyone played it? You need to reach far Harbor for it to start in earnest but it adds vampire attacks around the main boston area too. Mostly wondering if it's worth installing since I'm nowhere near getting to FH at this point.

Edit:
Not a huge fan. I like it visually but spells as grenades is weird a bit. Also the dialogue isn't really my cup of tea and the absolutely endless spawns of vampire pockets are seriously annoying, sometimes over 3 boss level mobs spawn at once. The respawns are also insanely fast. I like the concept but it's really not working out for me. Serana also seems to have a lot of cringey dialogue like: "what do you want a handjob reward now or something?"

EPIC fat guy vids fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 26, 2017

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Gonkish posted:

Bethesda's whole "QA" process for this poo poo is just loading it up in-game and making sure it doesn't crash the game instantly. That's all.

They better hope not, cause all it will take is one disgruntled modder selling them on "2GB of Armor Retextures Don't Talk To That NPC Hooker This Is Totally Not Hot Coffee 4.0" and Bethesda will be in a heap of trouble for providing Adults-Only content in a Mature rated game. And that's the best case scenario, think of all the really objectionable poo poo that someone could hide in there if the QA team wasn't actually going through scripts line by line & looking at every added texture.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Hi, I haven't played this game in over a year. Has there been any meaningful mods since then that might get me back into it? I'm itching for a loot shooter, but I've kinda played everything else out there to death.

Fenrax
Oct 9, 2012

EPIC fat guy vids posted:

Videos I see of Atomguard seem both pretty great and pretty lame at the same time. A lot of the initially reported bugs graphical or gameplay have been fixed but the spelling mistakes have not which is a bit annoying (Log coat insteaf of Long coat). The dialogue choices also seem to come from an anime or fan fiction at the best of times.

Has anyone played it? You need to reach far Harbor for it to start in earnest but it adds vampire attacks around the main boston area too. Mostly wondering if it's worth installing since I'm nowhere near getting to FH at this point.

I haven't tried it yet, but I downloaded it because I figured even if it's bad it looks like it would be humorously bad.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So I watched Yong Yea's latest video on the creation club, and it seems that payment is set up like freelance contracting: modders get a one time payout when Bethesda accepts their content oroposal, and all sales once the mod goes up on CC go into Bethesda's pockets.

:psyduck:

Does Bethesda check to see if the content is original? Would they buy stolen content?
It just seems so reckless and lazy I just can't fathom how it's taking so much effort to put for so little effort at the same time by Bethesda.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

KakerMix posted:

:psyduck:

Does Bethesda check to see if the content is original? Would they buy stolen content?
It just seems so reckless and lazy I just can't fathom how it's taking so much effort to put for so little effort at the same time by Bethesda.

It's not like you can submit stuff anonymously. If they do get stolen content and it gets reported, the submitter will get a load of bricks dropped on their head.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Creation Club leaks for Skyrim show a whole load of Oblivion weapons and armor. Really putting your best foot forward with this system aren't you Bethesda?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

7c Nickel posted:

It's not like you can submit stuff anonymously. If they do get stolen content and it gets reported, the submitter will get a load of bricks dropped on their head.

Bethesda is far too lazy to lift bricks bub

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Creation Club leaks for Skyrim show a whole load of Oblivion weapons and armor. Really putting your best foot forward with this system aren't you Bethesda?

Gotta make sure people can play those other Bethesda games while they're playing Bethesda games! It's what people want, right?! Sadly it probably IS what people want.

So I had heard they were going to put a stop to the CC Auto-downloading bullshit, but has that happened yet? And did they replace it with something equally awful?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

i am tim! posted:

So I had heard they were going to put a stop to the CC Auto-downloading bullshit, but has that happened yet? And did they replace it with something equally awful?
They did. The asset archives are no longer automatically downloaded on the PC. No clue what's going on the consoles.

To be honest, I never got why people were so angry over that. In the off chance something actually cool got released on the Creation Club, us PC users would have gotten it for free. I mean, I'm kind of digging that gauss rifle Bethesda gifted me. I would never have paid money for it, but thanks to incompetence I didn't have to.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Raygereio posted:

To be honest, I never got why people were so angry over that.

People with slow or metered internet are kinda hosed when they gotta download gigabytes of data for literally no benefit, and it's not that unusual to be tight on disk space (especially if you got gigs of mods too). Don't forget that if it's packed in as core files that Steam won't even let you play until the update is finished downloading which is a major dick move when you just got home and want to unwind by building your settlement or whatever.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Yeah, that's why I didn't want to touch it. I'm not on a download limit but I would prefer it if my drives aren't getting clogged with gigs of poo poo I probably wouldn't use, free or not.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

isndl posted:

and it's not that unusual to be tight on disk space (especially if you got gigs of mods too). Don't forget that if it's packed in as core files that Steam won't even let you play until the update is finished downloading which is a major dick move when you just got home
You can always delete those archives you don't care about. Steam will only redownload those if you reïnstall the game or do run a verify over the games' files. And you can avoid that update problem permanently by setting Steam to only update when you launch the game and then never launch the game's executable and instead boot the game via F4SE.

Still kind of think people got their anger in the way of taking advantage of Bethesda's incompetence and potentially getting free stuff. I'll grant you that people with metered internet would be hosed, though those poor bastards exist in a perpetual state of being hosed.

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Arcsquad12 posted:

Looks like they want to sell actual ported Oblivion assets. :downs:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/598120/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim_Special_Edition__Creation_Club/

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Raygereio posted:

You can always delete those archives you don't care about. Steam will only redownload those if you reïnstall the game or do run a verify over the games' files. And you can avoid that update problem permanently by setting Steam to only update when you launch the game and then never launch the game's executable and instead boot the game via F4SE.

Still kind of think people got their anger in the way of taking advantage of Bethesda's incompetence and potentially getting free stuff. I'll grant you that people with metered internet would be hosed, though those poor bastards exist in a perpetual state of being hosed.

I mean, the stuff's basically worthless. I don't even want it for free. There's better on the Nexus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The other fun thing about CC for Skyrim SE: they only just got a working version of SKSE for it and the constant CC updates will make that even more difficult to get properly functional.

CC was, is, and seemingly always will be a stupid loving cash grab because some shitheads at Bethesda/Zenimax apparently want a new yacht or something.