Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Thermopyle posted:

If I he notes are not technical you might be able to get them annotated on mechanical turk.

HIPAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

lifg posted:

HIPAA.

Oh yeah.

I can imagine some note systems that not being a problem, but I suppose Hughmorris is the only one who can say.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
Did anyone say Sentiment Analysis? Isn’t there OTS stuff for that

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

JawnV6 posted:

Did anyone say Sentiment Analysis? Isn’t there OTS stuff for that

Yeah, that'd be a lot of fun if there were the missing metadata. Sentiment analysis is supervised.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Anyone here work from a stool instead of a chair?

I'm wondering if a good stool might encourage posture better than a chair...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

At $lastJob I did stool or standing at a workbench, and never had any back problems. At $currentJob I'm sitting in a regular office chair at a desk my back and shoulder are consistently bothering me.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I've tried standing and it gives me nothing but leg/back problems despite trying all the hints about it all over the internet.

TBH, I don't actually have a problem with sitting in a chair right now, but I also don't keep a good posture and I worry about how that will cause me problems in the future.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

A chair that constricts movement instead of encouraging and supporting it is probably not for you.

The classic Aeron encourages movement on top of everything else, but if your company is the kind to cheap out and buy something whatever, then I guess a stool might be an improvement.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

ufarn posted:

A chair that constricts movement instead of encouraging and supporting it is probably not for you.

The classic Aeron encourages movement on top of everything else, but if your company is the kind to cheap out and buy something whatever, then I guess a stool might be an improvement.

I use an Aeron now sometimes. Doesn't seem to do much for my posture.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

KernelSlanders posted:

Yeah, that'd be a lot of fun if there were the missing metadata. Sentiment analysis is supervised.

You don't need metadata if you're using an already-trained model!

Hughmorris, I think maybe taking a look at document clustering might be useful, for example :
http://brandonrose.org/clustering

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Thermopyle posted:

When I'm at Starbucks. It's fine. Basically the most important posture technique is don't be a fat gently caress. Second is to sit in a bunch of different positions so all your bad postures get averaged out, as if you're a human tourbillon.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I mean standing still is only a step up from sitting still. The best thing to do is to take breaks often.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

fritz posted:

You don't need metadata if you're using an already-trained model!

Hughmorris, I think maybe taking a look at document clustering might be useful, for example :
http://brandonrose.org/clustering

Thanks for the link!

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

robostac posted:

Firstly as a sanity check you say you run ./launch and it works, but the crontab is calling launch.sh - it's probably just a typo but never hurts to check.

The most likely thing is it's working fine but the log file isn't where you expect it - you don't specify a path so it will be wherever the working directory of cron is, not where the script is. Check /home/pi to see if the logs have been created there.

Bit of a late reply but thank you so much. By chance I ssh'd into my Raspberry Pi and did an ls on the home directory and there were the file outputs. Glad I didn't have to hunt too far.

Is adding "cd /var/www/your_script_directory" the best way to deal with this?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

Anyone know how the order/precedence of a reference in c# works?

I will elaborate :)

We have a software product which uses the standard .NET library's System.Collections.Generic and System.Linq, the class references them by the using statement at the top.

For some strange reason, which is the source of my confusion, when we use this 3rd party dll, depending on which machine we try to build the solution on Visual Studio (2017) sometimes chooses the method in the 3rd party DLL instead of what we have explicitly referenced in the class! This makes the solution fail to build because the arguments are different. The method we are having a problem is 'OrderBy' which exists in LINQ and Collections and the 3rd party reference!

What we cant work out is how the gently caress it decides which one to use, we can make it use the right one (the windows library) by zapping the reference to the 3rd party one in the solution, but we do need the reference at some points.

I plain cant work out why Visual Studio would even attempt to use that 3rd partys method in the class, it isnt mentioned in a using statement. Its very weird.

There must be some way to order the choice.

Maybe I just haven't wrapped my head around how the GAC works :(

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

huhu posted:

Bit of a late reply but thank you so much. By chance I ssh'd into my Raspberry Pi and did an ls on the home directory and there were the file outputs. Glad I didn't have to hunt too far.

Is adding "cd /var/www/your_script_directory" the best way to deal with this?

The best way would be to specify your whole output path

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

(Apologies in advance if this is the wrong thread to post this question)

One of my classes is a semester is a group project, but I don't have much time to meet up with my friends except when online. We need to design a UI for this project, but we're not sure what it should look like and I can't find any good collaborative tools that would help. I was wondering if there was something that could help us describe how our UI will look like. Like use cases, but for UI design.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

SardonicTyrant posted:

One of my classes is a semester is a group project, but I don't have much time to meet up with my friends except when online. We need to design a UI for this project, but we're not sure what it should look like and I can't find any good collaborative tools that would help. I was wondering if there was something that could help us describe how our UI will look like. Like use cases, but for UI design.

Would something like Balsamiq be helpful? You could use it to make some UI mockups. They have a free online flash (:barf:) tool that should be good enough to come up with something.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

SardonicTyrant posted:

Something like draw.io might be enough to get things done. You can all make updates to the file, but it doesn't support simultaneous editing where you see the changes as the other person makes then. If you need real time, this says it can do it but I've never tried it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

SardonicTyrant posted:

Skype screen sharing, each of you running Paint (or Visual Studio, or anything else you could use to draw/mock up interfaces) to show your ideas while discussing?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I was thinking more along the lines of "Our pages will all use this set of colors. Each button will look like this. If there's a screen fade, it takes this many milliseconds." and so on.

Like, some sort of standardized way of describing the design in a text document. We'll still need to draw the layout, of course, but I'd like it to look consistent between each page and I figured a text document would help.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of "Our pages will all use this set of colors. Each button will look like this. If there's a screen fade, it takes this many milliseconds." and so on.

Like, some sort of standardized way of describing the design in a text document. We'll still need to draw the layout, of course, but I'd like it to look consistent between each page and I figured a text document would help.

You want a style guide:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...1.0.AGkXwwKeA8Q

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003
I'm not sure if this is a programming question or a 3D modeling question, or an autocad question. I'm working on an AR app, and I need to come up with a way to divide the top of the head into an even grid. Once I have the points measured I'll import them into OpenGL, but I need some way to trace the grid onto the curves of a head. However, I don't know of any programs that will do everything I need. Blender can help trace the lines, but doesn't seem to provide a way to segment up the lines by, for example, 10% in order to draw an even grid. Eyeballing it won't really work, it needs to be precise. Is there anything out there with this kind of 3D Bezier curve support?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Usually they have scripting support ( 3dsmax has Max Script, I think Blender has regular Python I think ) You could draw the curve and refine it with vertices every 10% right?

I think 3ds Max has something like this out of the box, where you loft over a spline and put in a shape every "step" which is a percentage of the total path length.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
This is barely programming but hopefully a question in the general thread is merited.

My wife was trained in a career program focusing on SQL and is in her first job as a data analyst. However, it's a big retail company and they use a bunch of lovely Access DBs to do a lot of their work. Migrating them to a proper SQL DB is a non-starter. What she's looking for is a code environment that color-codes parts of queries and other SQL/Access language bits as she goes just for organization's sake, a la in SQL Server Management Studio or the Powershell ISE or other third-party programs.

Does such an application exist?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

MJP posted:

This is barely programming but hopefully a question in the general thread is merited.

My wife was trained in a career program focusing on SQL and is in her first job as a data analyst. However, it's a big retail company and they use a bunch of lovely Access DBs to do a lot of their work. Migrating them to a proper SQL DB is a non-starter. What she's looking for is a code environment that color-codes parts of queries and other SQL/Access language bits as she goes just for organization's sake, a la in SQL Server Management Studio or the Powershell ISE or other third-party programs.

Like http://fieldeffect.info/wp/access-sql-editor-documentation/ or is that too much more than just syntax highlighting?

Oh and you should be able to 'connect to' an access file with LINQPad which is insanely good for when you want to do string manipulation on a database without trying to express it in SQL-ees

Munkeymon fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 27, 2017

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

MJP posted:

Notepad++ seems to come with a bunch of templates that highlight everything quite nicely.

e: thats a really nice to have program btw, not just for that purpose, useful for many things https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 27, 2017

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

VSCode has sql syntax highlighting, plus the ability to run and test those queries from within the editor.

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/tsql

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
In the year 2017, what are the compelling arguments to choose between Common Lisp, Scheme and Clojure for side project webdev?

Context:
I get the impression that CL spec is a touch outdated.

I like functional programming, pattern matching and algebraic data types are fantastic.

I write c#/js by day.

Oh great Lisp greybeards, lend me your knowledge!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

strange posted:

In the year 2017, what are the compelling arguments to choose between Common Lisp, Scheme and Clojure for side project webdev?

Context:
I get the impression that CL spec is a touch outdated.

I like functional programming, pattern matching and algebraic data types are fantastic.

I write c#/js by day.

Oh great Lisp greybeards, lend me your knowledge!

If you don't get a response here, you might be better off asking in the functional programming thread.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It's not Lisp but have you looked at F#? Plays nice with C# and all the .NET framework you (probably) love, and there's an F# to JavaScript compiler called Fable that people seem to like

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010

ultrafilter posted:

If you don't get a response here, you might be better off asking in the functional programming thread.

Thanks, I'll ask there.

baka kaba posted:

It's not Lisp but have you looked at F#? Plays nice with C# and all the .NET framework you (probably) love, and there's an F# to JavaScript compiler called Fable that people seem to like
Thanks for the suggestion, I've been meaning to look at F# forever but I really want to play around with macros.
"To JavaScript" compilation is certainly nice to have, but I'm not particularly afraid of writing bare bones JS. If ClojureScript is good enough maybe that will nudge me towards Clojure.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

If you want a functional language that compiles to JS, just use Elm

mystes
May 31, 2006

The elm architecture gets really annoying really fast as your project gets bigger though.

There are other functional approaches that are more composable and have less boilerplate but they're a lot more complicated and have much worse documentation and tooling then elm.

I honestly think plain react + typescript is the best approach at the moment. I would also like something using a real functional language, but it's just really not worth it right now.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

mystes posted:

The elm architecture gets really annoying really fast as your project gets bigger though.

Can you elaborate on that? I haven't noticed, but the toy projects I've done haven't been very big, either.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Munkeymon posted:

Can you elaborate on that? I haven't noticed, but the toy projects I've done haven't been very big, either.
I mean, when I was messing around with it my project wasn't that big either, but it got increasingly annoying dealing with all the state being lumped together. Once I wanted to have stuff like multiple different screens it seemed like I either had to start nesting the model really deeply (which is insanely verbose in elm since it doesn't have lenses) or let it get ridiculously complicated.

Also if you have a form, for each element you have to add stuff to your view, and a new option to your msg type, add a case to handle it etc. There is a ton of boilerplate.

As far as I can tell, there's no good way to break any of this stuff into its own component or anything, so you end up with a huge monolithic model, update function etc., and it gets really hard to find stuff and keep track of anything.

Also, it's pretty annoying to try to talk to JavaScript through the ports system.

When I started it seemed neat, but everything got extremely verbose and complicated. I can't imagine using it for anything bigger than a simple toy project.

Also the JSON parsing is pretty much the worst thing ever.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an

Hmm, I guess I need to get off my rear end and try to make something more complicated with Elm because I outright avoided ports and JSON parsing when I was dinking around with it :v:

Come to think of it, maybe I should try to make a full app+UI in some other functional language+framework for comparison's sake, but ugh :effort:

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone used Fable? Thoughts?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm looking for a general plotting library like matplotlib that I can drive from Python. Any others that I should be considering?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
matplotlib is the only one I'm aware of. It's the standard for a reason.