Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Heads up: http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/08/19/wear-mini-launcher-starts-showing-pop-ads-latest-update/

Wear Mini Launcher has been updated with ads/malware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is it just me or is Assistant way less responsive on the watch than Google Now was?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's not just you

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm a stupid and bought the Google LG Smartwatch Style. I actually like it but wish the wrist band wasn't leather.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

I said come in! posted:

I'm a stupid and bought the Google LG Smartwatch Style. I actually like it but wish the wrist band wasn't leather.

how is the battery life? did it improve since launch

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

logikv9 posted:

how is the battery life? did it improve since launch

Like has been brought up a few times it's better than reviews said by a significant amount. If I turn off ambient and wrist to turn on I get about 32 hours before a charge. With wrist on it's probably closer to 20 or so?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone use Textra? On my phone I see the watch icon, but I can't install it on my watch.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Does anyone use Textra? On my phone I see the watch icon, but I can't install it on my watch.

I don't think Textra has an actual Android Wear app? I think the watch icon in the play store just indicates that it works/is compatible with wear.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ah. Well, then to hell with this app.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

I gave up on Android Wear, but since it got me used to wearing a watch again, so after many years I'm back to wearing a regular watch...and I constantly look at it to see what the notification I just got was.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Imgur is fuckin garbage and won't upload this so it's hotlinked but I like the look of the nokia steel hr. Hybrid smartwatches in general are straight as opposed to wear imo

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Blue Train posted:

Imgur is fuckin garbage and won't upload this so it's hotlinked but I like the look of the nokia steel hr. Hybrid smartwatches in general are straight as opposed to wear imo

That does look nice...its not exactly my style, but I agree with you on the appeal of a hybrid watch.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I just got gifted a Huawei Watch 2, with android wear 2.0

This is definitely my first rodeo with wearables, so I barely managed to connect it with Bluetooth to my phone (Lenovo p2 with Android 7 if that matters), change the clock face and install the relevant apps on my phone: Android Wear, Huawei wear, Huawei health.

Is there any quickstart guide on how to get the most out of it, or could anyone give me a few pointers like how to set it up, what's the best clock face and important apps to get and so on? I am not much into fitness but I like the health reminders that will hopefully stop me from sitting on my rear end for several hours, and I mainly want to use it as a phone extension to check messages, WhatsApp and Facebook or whatever else is happening on the phone without getting it out of my pocket, anything more is just sweet icing on the cake.

Thanks in advance :)

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 26, 2017

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I'm shocked and utterly devastated at this news that nobody saw coming.

Verizons Wear24 Android Wear Watch Dies After Just 3 Months

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

My original Moto 360 is on its last legs. To get any life out of it I have to have it with airplane mode on as any alerts cause it to power down.

Anyway, Samsung UK briefly had the S2 Gear & Classic down to 99 today. Obviously they sold out quickly, but I think I managed to score a S2 Gear. Be nice to have a smart watch again that sends me alerts, though I don't know how Tizen OS differs to Android Wear.

Edit: dispatch email received.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 29, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Android Wear section was removed from the Google Store entirely.... RIP

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Wear is still getting development so it's not RIP necessarily

edit: Android Police notes that it seems like what's happening is the Google Store is now a Google-only store. Kinda feels like Google is handing Wear sales/distribution off to the fashion and fitness brands?

Rastor fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 5, 2017

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yep, confirmed
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/05/android-wear-section-vanishes-google-store-lg-watch-sport-style-now-showing-no-longer-available/

quote:

Don't be sad! 😊 The Google Store team made a change that they will only stock Google made hardware. Our team knew the plan for a year now and invested in custom store fronts with online retailers, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/b/?ie=UTF8&node=15203391011 Together with all our partners (online / offline), we will reach more people all over the world than ever before!🗺️😎⌚

When I visited partner stores in London and Shanghai, they couldn't be more excited about our line up this fall!😊https://www.blog.google/products/android-wear/android-wear-20-watches-fall/

On the technical front, I have more to share about how we think about updates - stay tuned!😎⌚

Hoi Lam (@hoitab)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Yeah, this has been mentioned many times before in this thread but Android Wear has kinda become a fashion thing and not a technology thing.

Honestly, seems better that way tbh.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The only way Wear is a fashion thing is if it's a signifier of the lack of it.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
E: This is the wrong thread, sorry.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 6, 2017

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

The only way Wear is a fashion thing is if it's a signifier of the lack of it.

Fossil makes a ton of Wear watches that look like normal watches.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Fossil makes a ton of Wear watches that look like normal watches.

I'd be interested in their sales numbers, I'm sure they're a rounding error compared to their non-smart watches.

The reason anyone uses Wear isn't because it's good or fashionable, it's because they're a watch company who feel like they should have a smartwatch offering and Wear is their only option. They all use the same internals, probably assembled by the same company and likely in the same factory, and they run one batch then let them rot on shelves unsold for eternity. They just don't want to miss the boat in case this smartwatch thing turns out to be real so they put out a low effort offering to see if anyone bites. I guarantee they haven't.

A very small subset of nerd have some Wear devices, probably about the same number say they would buy one if only their unicorn edge case was addressed and if it cost less than $80, and some multiple of those two numbers combined have Apple Watches. That's the entire smartwatch demographic and not a single one is in there because of fashion.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I use wear to notify me when my phone is away and because I can change the watch face on a whim.

Wear 2.0 eats my battery and sucks.
I hope it keeps getting better, but wear is definitely an early adopter thing much like home is currently.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
One of the few reasons I keep my chunky as hell LG G Watch (the original square one) is that the battery life is insanely good and it will NEVER get Wear 2.0, so I don't have to suffer the new interface or notifications.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

A very small subset of nerd have some Wear devices, probably about the same number say they would buy one if only their unicorn edge case was addressed and if it cost less than $80, and some multiple of those two numbers combined have Apple Watches. That's the entire smartwatch demographic and not a single one is in there because of fashion.

I agree on your perception of Wear devices, I've met exactly one non-nerd who owned one, but for whatever reason the Apple Watch is really popular. I've seen them on two different drive through employees in the last week, not exaggerating. A bunch of the employees at my customers have them too.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Are Fossil watches considered at all fashionable anyway?

I'm wearing a not-smart Fossil watch right now, because I like the looks of it, but I don't know if someone who knows fashion would laugh at it because it's a Fossil or not.

I mean, if I had to guess I would guess Fossil stuff is generally fashionable enough...like Levis for jeans...to not get you laughed out of the room, but not not exactly the height of fashion either.

In other words, I'm asking nerds into Android Wear what is fashionable.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

TAG Heuer is definitely a fashion brand and their Wear device sold way better than they expected.

Fossil is on like generation 2 or 3 of their devices, so at the minimum they're doing well enough to keep iterating.

Definitely not "run one batch then let them rot on shelves unsold".

The way I see it there are three smartwatch markets:
1. Geeky gadgets
2. Fitness devices
3. Fashion watches which happen to be smartwatches

I hate to admit it because I'm definitely an early adopter gadget geek, but category (1) has been a huge failure. Or at least, a way smaller success than the other two categories.

Apple kinda started off pitching to categories (1) and (3), saw where things were headed, doubled down on the fitness features, and successfully pitched their smartwatch to both categories (2) and (3) at the same time. So it's been a big success for them.

Unfortunately Google spent a bunch of time bungling the switch to Wear 2.0 instead of doing the same thing. They may still be able to improve the fitness features and go after category (2). They do have that single device from Polar. In the meantime it looks like they're mainly working with fashion brands to go after category (3).

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
You know, i'd almost switch to apple if it wasn't for the lack of headphone jack and the fact that their apple watch is ugly (and there aren't any 3rd party alternatives that run the OS).

I actually think android has a decent line of watches. I have the 1st gen huawei watch and i think it looks aesthetically pleasing.

Apple really needs to allow 3rd party watches and should just charge a licensing fee to run their OS.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

wolrah posted:

I agree on your perception of Wear devices, I've met exactly one non-nerd who owned one, but for whatever reason the Apple Watch is really popular. I've seen them on two different drive through employees in the last week, not exaggerating. A bunch of the employees at my customers have them too.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply that Apple Watch users were in the nerd group though I see how it reads that way.

Apple Watch users are normals who just like Apple stuff. Not a large set of total iPhone users, but a steadily growing set, and completely unrelated to the non-Apple smartwatch crowd.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Thermopyle posted:

Are Fossil watches considered at all fashionable anyway?

I mean they make fashion watches, they aren't really a fashion brand.

But they own the exclusive watch rights to a bunch of fashion brands and have been releasing watches under them and plan on releasing more:

quote:

Their brands include Fossil, Relic, Abacus, Michele Watch, Skagen Denmark, and Zodiac Watches. Fossil also makes licensed accessories for brands such as Adidas; Emporio Armani; Karl Lagerfeld; Michael Kors; Marc by Marc Jacobs; Burberry; DKNY; Diesel; and Armani Exchange

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like every "fashion" Wear device I see looks like someone glued a screen to a regular watch. All the proportions are wrong and it just looks weird. The best looking watches have been the ones where the designers were okay with it looking like a smartwatch like the Moto 360s, original Huawei, a couple of the ZenWatches. I can only assume I am strange and most people don't agree with this since this is the exact opposite of what the market is offering.

Also stop putting second tick numbers on the bezels, urgh.

I preordered the Ticwatch thing as they were really cheap but cancelled it in the end. Seems like Wear is going nowhere fast and Google don't care.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Oct 7, 2017

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Went to turn off my screen for a movie the other day and noticed some burn in on my gen 1 Huawei watch.

Bummer man. Might want to keep any eye out for a new one this Christmas.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

That's not possible, everyone says OLED can't burn in and it's always better than LCD.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

OLED can burn in if you keep the same thing displayed on it, don't you change your watch face all the time? You see that's why in Wear 2.0 they made changing the watch face the default action

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
The trick to preventing burn in is not using the always on screen. Can't burn a screen that's off.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

This was over if the big reason why I was happy Moto went with an LCD. This is pretty much inevitable on all the OLED watches.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Google continues to develop Wear 2.0.

They also continue to pretend Google+ isn't dead, so maybe it's fitting that this is where you can find updates:

https://plus.google.com/+HoiLam/posts/FjKZXkenFiP

quote:

Hoi Lam
Oct 9, 11:05 AM

More updates for Android Wear
With Android Wear 2.0, new features can be delivered through the Play Store, when the Android Wear app on your watch is updated. The aim is to publish more timely improvements between OTAs. We launched one such upgrade last week that includes:

🌟 3rd party chat app support in Contacts
🌟 Reduce accidental entry into the watch face picker
🌟 Improve Play Store discoverability for new users
🌟 Other features and bug fixes

Hope you like them and more to come in the coming months! 😎⌚

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Verizon discontinued their Wear 2.0 watch completely.

T-Mobile just put theirs on sale for $96:
https://www.t-mobile.com/internet-device/zte-quartz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Wear doesn't seem to be very healthy product. Maybe I should look at another ecosystem for my replacement.