Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Got my replacement iPhone 7 back from Apple and holy poo poo, the gap on both sides of the iOS 11 landscape keyboard is ridiculous. What the hell is going on? Is this a bug or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

Got my replacement iPhone 7 back from Apple and holy poo poo, the gap on both sides of the iOS 11 landscape keyboard is ridiculous. What the hell is going on? Is this a bug or what?
sounds like iphone x safe area

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lmao wtf

ufarn
May 30, 2009
the biggest wtf of ios 11 is definitely the keyboard. i feel like there should be like a loving intro video for a change this drastic. they've also completely shuffled some keys around afaict, which drives me loving insane

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
omfg

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

should have sent a poet

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

you can also tap in the blank space on either side and get phantom touches on the keyboard itself :thumbsup:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

gently caress apple right in the ear

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

you can also tap in the blank space on either side and get phantom touches on the keyboard itself :thumbsup:

jesus

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
feeling pretty good about not waiting for the iphone notch edition

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dislike button posted:

feeling pretty good about not waiting for the iphone notch edition

it will actually obscure the hideously looking ui

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

bump_fn posted:

goddamn millennials and their *squints* safe areas

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Kenny Logins posted:

it's been a while since I've restored from backup but previously if you did it via wire from iTunes it wouldn't really re-download apps, it would just transfer them from iTunes right

well now iTunes has had apps carved out of it. does this mean the apps have to be redownloaded OTA no matter what?

I guess I should do a test wipe and restore at home on fast WiFi, just in case

I'm really curious what this will mean for people who move between countries. If you make purchases or downloads in one country, then move your account to another country, you can't download the apps from the first country anymore. You have to purchase or download them in the new country (if they are available). Of course, if you still have the apps downloaded and saved they'll still work just fine. Now that you can't backup or save apps through iTunes, there's no way to keep those apps when you get a new phone...

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Management posted:

best part of iOS 11 is the new volume overlay that doesn't block your video when you change volume. thanks to the one dude who got fed up with waiting for design feedback and just did it.

yea i noticed that too, it's about time

btw there's a subtle difference in control center between bluetooth/wifi really disabled vs fake disabled. really disabled the icon has a slash through it not just uncolored

you know how some websites use annoying fixed-position side tabs that hover and obscure the text you're trying to read? best case, the notch hides it. worst case, it's two layers of loving notches

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
came for the artisanal screen burn-in around status icons

stayed for whatever this clownshoes nonsense is

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DashingGentleman posted:

came for the artisanal screen burn-in around status icons

stayed for whatever this clownshoes nonsense is

???

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
iOS 11.1 preview

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

it's too bad because the iPhone 8 is really good. the glass gives decent enough grip that's it's pretty much fine without a case, almost as easy to hold caseless as a 4/5

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

LanceHunter posted:

I'm really curious what this will mean for people who move between countries. If you make purchases or downloads in one country, then move your account to another country, you can't download the apps from the first country anymore. You have to purchase or download them in the new country (if they are available). Of course, if you still have the apps downloaded and saved they'll still work just fine. Now that you can't backup or save apps through iTunes, there's no way to keep those apps when you get a new phone...

if the app is available in the country you move to, it should just automagically download them no prob

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Doc Block posted:

if the app is available in the country you move to, it should just automagically download them no prob

His post was about when it's not...

Also they pull apps for no good reason sometimes and there's no way to keep them if something happens to your phone.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

DuckConference posted:

it's too bad because the iPhone 8 is really good. the glass gives decent enough grip that's it's pretty much fine without a case, almost as easy to hold caseless as a 4/5

yea its going to make a good base design for the iPhone SE2, which will be hailed in 2019 as the last perfect iPhone before The Notch, to say nothing of the decision to move the lightning port to a magic mouse-style rear configuration for 2018

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I think the rule is you still get updates but no fresh installs if app is not in your country. so if you restore your phone from a previous backup (including iCloud) you'll still have those apps but if you start clean you can't download them again.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
can we have the old thread title back or somethign? new title sucks

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
how do you screenshot on the iPhone x

the side button is a Siri button
he home button is gone

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wild EEPROM posted:

he home button is gone

volume up + side

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Wild EEPROM posted:

he home button is gone

just ask Siri to take a screenshot

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
forgot to say this earlier, but i LOLed that they went through the whole presentation acting like it was all brand new and a complete surprise instead of 99% of it all having been leaked already

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

just ask Siri to take a screenshot

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im reading up on iphone 8 launch and apparently the retail was astonishingly abysmal. x is going to be like hosed on supply for 6 months ahead lol

also, the december earnings call

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im reading up on iphone 8 launch and apparently the retail was astonishingly abysmal. x is going to be like hosed on supply for 6 months ahead lol

apple went full osborne this year with the x

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

sarnsung prepping the galaxy notch to drop 5 months from now, and some exciting fake X2 rumors to drop the following month so the holdouts keep holding :twisted:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

sarnsung prepping the galaxy notch to drop 5 months from now, and some exciting fake X2 rumors to drop the following month so the holdouts keep holding :twisted:

convincing people to not spend money doesn't seem like a next-level pro strat imo

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Rex-Goliath posted:

convincing people to not spend money doesn't seem like a next-level pro strat imo

crap, that explains why im not a ceo

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i bet i can flip the top of the line x for $2k if i can get in on the first batch of shipments

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://twitter.com/yurari_san/status/907768939530248192

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

eh, I'll wait for iPhone GOKU

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

they made the podcasts app worse :psypop:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/tapbot_paul/status/911684447665315840

apple's level of ux/ui has reached the point where we have a bigger chance of figuring out how to exit vim than to reboot our phone

Ragtime All The Time posted:

they made the podcasts app worse :psypop:
any other trend would suggest a mutiny at apple

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Wow I tried on my 6s and that's loving laughable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

Hed posted:

Wow I tried on my 6s and that's loving laughable

• Locked thread