Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Leavemywife posted:

Wait, people will actually get lovely if you don't take a donut? What do they loving care? Isn't that more donuts for them? Do they see it as a personal slight?

In my office, yeah. I tend to agree with Indolent Bastard that it's a crab bucket thing, i.e., if everybody has a donut, they don't have to feel guilty about chowing down on junk food they don't need.

I also got called a "show off" because I took the stairs up to the second floor instead of waiting for our slower-than-poo poo elevator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

littlebluellama posted:

Southern sweet tea has to be made hot, there is so much sugar in it that it needs heat as a catalyst to dissolve all of it. The sugar will sit at the bottom of the cold tea in a crunchy layer of failure. (I switched to unsweet tea after I realized how much sugar I was drinking in soda and tea. but yeah, if I want it lightly sweetened, I ask for some of the sweet tea to be mixed in, because mixing sugar packets into icy cold tea does not really work that well)

That layer is great though? You stir throughout the duration of the drink and the last bit in the glass is like syrup. At least that's what I liked as a kid. :barf:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Some people have hosed up ideas about what is okay to eat or drink all the time

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My family has always mixed the pink fake sweetener into cold unsweet tea and it works perfectly well/is 0 calories.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My family has always mixed the pink fake sweetener into cold unsweet tea and it works perfectly well/is 0 calories.

Pink packet? That's probably saccharine/sweet n low.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
Zero-calorie sweeteners are my pet peeve. Even the "natural" ones like stevia taste like absolute chemical rear end. Apparently you eventually acquire a taste for them, but if you're willing to do that, isn't it just as easy (and overall much healthier) to acquire a taste for poo poo that's not sweetened at all? Like, I stopped putting sweetener in my coffee/tea and started drinking sparkling water instead of soda. That was much easier to adapt to than some nasty diet sweetener and now that I'm not guzzling sweet drinks all the time, I very rarely crave sweet foods.

littlebluellama
Jun 18, 2013

I am kind, brave and deserve love.

Nettles Coterie posted:

Zero-calorie sweeteners are my pet peeve. Even the "natural" ones like stevia taste like absolute chemical rear end. Apparently you eventually acquire a taste for them, but if you're willing to do that, isn't it just as easy (and overall much healthier) to acquire a taste for poo poo that's not sweetened at all? Like, I stopped putting sweetener in my coffee/tea and started drinking sparkling water instead of soda. That was much easier to adapt to than some nasty diet sweetener and now that I'm not guzzling sweet drinks all the time, I very rarely crave sweet foods.

THANK YOU sweet and low is so bitter!

When I was kid I thought that what made it a "diet" sweetener was that after you put it on your food, the food was close to inedible, thereby forcing you to eat/drink less.

Apparently it's genetic whether or not it tastes like rear end to you:

http://www.phillymag.com/be-well-philly/2013/08/22/study-fake-sweeteners-taste-disgusting-people/

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
The trick to artificial sweetener, I've found, is to combine them. Splenda alone is a little unpleasant and stevia is fairly terrible, but if I put one packet of each into hot tea, they taste fine together and there's no bitter aftertaste.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Rabbit Hill posted:

The trick to artificial sweetener, I've found, is to combine them. Splenda alone is a little unpleasant and stevia is fairly terrible, but if I put one packet of each into hot tea, they taste fine together and there's no bitter aftertaste.

That's what my dad's done for years, he's a big iced-tea drinker. Personally, I find clear, highly-carbonated diet sodas like Fresca and Diet 7-up to be perfectly acceptable in terms of artificial sweetener taste compared to colas or (even worse) stuff like diet orange or cream sodas.

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Nettles Coterie posted:

Zero-calorie sweeteners are my pet peeve. Even the "natural" ones like stevia taste like absolute chemical rear end. Apparently you eventually acquire a taste for them, but if you're willing to do that, isn't it just as easy (and overall much healthier) to acquire a taste for poo poo that's not sweetened at all?

Yeah and that's what happened with me, but there still are times when I really want a piece of chocolate or some vanilla ice cream or a girly drink or some other little treat that I'll never stop loving and then the 0-cal sweetened products are so nice to have. You really do get used to them; some I've even come to really like.

Except that loving Hershey's sugar free chocolate syrup, tastes like industrial waste and doesn't dissolve into milk, it just breaks into little soggy pieces--what the insulting gently caress is that poo poo.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I actually really enjoy diet colas, particularly diet Pepsi. They have a nice sharp taste that I find weirdly refreshing? I had a huge caffeine free diet Coke phase as a teenager so the flavor always takes me back (bless those ugly khaki cans).

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

artsy fartsy posted:

Yeah and that's what happened with me, but there still are times when I really want a piece of chocolate or some vanilla ice cream or a girly drink or some other little treat that I'll never stop loving and then the 0-cal sweetened products are so nice to have. You really do get used to them; some I've even come to really like.

Except that loving Hershey's sugar free chocolate syrup, tastes like industrial waste and doesn't dissolve into milk, it just breaks into little soggy pieces--what the insulting gently caress is that poo poo.

I used to manage a barnes and noble cafe in my early 20s and we had sugar free mocha for a while. The real mocha is like a powder you mix together with water and actually smelled and tasted like chocolate but the sugar free stuff was like black squid ink that smelled like a chemical fire. Nobody loving bought it and I might have actually discouraged people from even trying it so we could get rid of it faster

teenytinymouse
Aug 3, 2005

I'm Shannon and I'm the biggest Idiot Ever!

Places not having diet options is a peeve, I was drinking Jameson's and ginger the other night with full sugar ginger ale because they didn't have diet and my teeth felt weird and sticky after it was gross

And the hangover is definitely worse. And so is the toll on my diet. gently caress you gimme the aspartame.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

To each his/her own. I don't drink enough soda to worry about whether or not it's "diet." And I think all diet soft drinks taste like lighter fluid.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

A pet peeve I have had for a while is when I see guides for games that don't need it. I remember picking up Skyrim and breezing through Master difficulty without doing anything special, just going sword and board build. Sure, maybe the first 5 levels were a bit difficult, but after that, my brain was pretty much turned off. These people are basically just whoring views because people will click on any video with Skyrim in the title.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GEAnd3ZTCk

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fries that are not crispy.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Fries that are too crispy.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Fries that are too crispy.

Impossible

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Wrong. Those little brown ultra-crisp shards when places don't cut them evenly are gross.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Everybody just shut up

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
More like oldcrunchless

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

MightyJoe36 posted:

To each his/her own. I don't drink enough soda to worry about whether or not it's "diet." And I think all diet soft drinks taste like lighter fluid.

They just taste like disgusting rear end. I barely drink soda, but the stuff that has sugar in it just tastes so much better. Fresca is a blight on all things that are tasty and my mother in law exclusively stocks it as the non-alcoholic beverage option *gag*.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Everybody just shut up

I used to like my school fries that were super soggy more than any other fries

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

McDonald's fries used to be the best. Now they're the worst.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I haven't been to KFC in years but their potato wedges were the best

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to figure out how to make fries that can tolerate being reheated in a microwave. It sucks when you get a huge portion of delicious fries with your meal, can't eat them all and take them home with you, but you know that you'll never eat them in their reheated state of Soggy Mush. (Sure, I could stick them in the oven but who has time for that??? :colbert:)

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Rabbit Hill posted:

Someone needs to figure out how to make fries that can tolerate being reheated in a microwave. It sucks when you get a huge portion of delicious fries with your meal, can't eat them all and take them home with you, but you know that you'll never eat them in their reheated state of Soggy Mush. (Sure, I could stick them in the oven but who has time for that??? :colbert:)

They have those, they're called microwave susceptors.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Glazier posted:

They have those, they're called microwave susceptors.

That's my favorite class in xcom

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rabbit Hill posted:

what's wrong with you?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
One thing I find annoying that I acknowledge is a pretty weird thing to be annoyed by is when people refer to famous singers or actors by their first names. Sometimes it feels appropriate but for the most part it seems strange to me.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing I find annoying that I acknowledge is a pretty weird thing to be annoyed by is when people refer to famous singers or actors by their first names. Sometimes it feels appropriate but for the most part it seems strange to me.

Calling quarterbacks by their first name has increasingly become a thing during football broadcasts over the past few years, and I also find it weird/annoying.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Bobby Digital posted:

Calling quarterbacks by their first name has increasingly become a thing during football broadcasts over the past few years, and I also find it weird/annoying.

This is why I only watch Cyberball.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Bobby Digital posted:

I too think that sportsball games should be as robotic as possible. I also like Joe Buck's commentary style

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

bradzilla posted:

I too think that sportsball games should be as robotic as possible. I also like Joe Buck's commentary style

There's a pair of comedy commentators in Australia (Roy and HG) that had a radio show commentating NRL matches. According to my dad, it was incomprehensible due to nicknames for every player.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Intoluene posted:

There's a pair of comedy commentators in Australia (Roy and HG) that had a radio show commentating NRL matches. According to my dad, it was incomprehensible due to nicknames for every player.

I liked their olympic coverage where they made up their own terminology for the sports:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKFWE1xt_x0

genetic_knockout
May 8, 2007

Who's a good boy
The automatic soap dispenser in my work bathroom broke, so instead of fixing or replacing it, they've just slapped a new working one right beside the old broken one. So every single time I go to wash my hands, I still try to use the old broken one first, despite the fact that I know it's broken, and it's been this way for a month now. It infuriates me slightly every time...stupid brain!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

genetic_knockout posted:

The automatic soap dispenser in my work bathroom broke, so instead of fixing or replacing it, they've just slapped a new working one right beside the old broken one. So every single time I go to wash my hands, I still try to use the old broken one first, despite the fact that I know it's broken, and it's been this way for a month now. It infuriates me slightly every time...stupid brain!

:lol: my work stopped filling the dispensers at some point in the past and just replaced them with foaming hand soap you would buy for your home. Last week they refilled those with some mystery type of soap that just oozes out of those dispensers in spurts.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

my phone is not very good at picking up a lot of sound but this is what the neighbor's bath sounds like half the time, and i was woken up by this noise a couple nights ago at nearly 3:30 in the morning (i have a different video of that)

https://tinyurl.com/ycvaxpan

:thumbsup:

sometimes the noise is in that wall and it's that volume, sometimes it's... in the other wall...? and slightly quieter. i don't understand. i just want to sleep

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The Snoo posted:

my phone is not very good at picking up a lot of sound but this is what the neighbor's bath sounds like half the time, and i was woken up by this noise a couple nights ago at nearly 3:30 in the morning (i have a different video of that)

https://tinyurl.com/ycvaxpan

:thumbsup:

sometimes the noise is in that wall and it's that volume, sometimes it's... in the other wall...? and slightly quieter. i don't understand. i just want to sleep

A goon in another thread recommended a white noise machine to me after it turned out we were having the same basic problem, and it has been a godsend. I don't know how it works, but it does, and my only regret is that I didn't get one a lot sooner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Pastry of the Year posted:

A goon in another thread recommended a white noise machine to me after it turned out we were having the same basic problem, and it has been a godsend. I don't know how it works, but it does, and my only regret is that I didn't get one a lot sooner.

Link to the one you got?