Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Grand Fromage posted:

You guys have opinions on which MREs are the best? A recent large earthquake nearby has reminded me to finish stocking my earthquake kit and I'm going to pick some more up. Chinese MREs are godawful but I can get American ones on the internet no problem. The seller has every option so I just have to pick.

French MREs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Those are $60 each so I'll stick to American.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can actually eat in a French restaurant for less than that.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

You guys have opinions on which MREs are the best? A recent large earthquake nearby has reminded me to finish stocking my earthquake kit and I'm going to pick some more up. Chinese MREs are godawful but I can get American ones on the internet no problem. The seller has every option so I just have to pick.

US MREs are actually my favorite so far. Along with being really acceptable to an American palate, they have a lot of variety and a decent amount of food. Just remember that 2 or 3 are necessary per day, as each only has 1000 to 1300 calories. Lithuanian is a contender as well, though I think it has less food and variety.

Be very careful to buy military surplus MREs instead of civilian clones. Civilian MREs tend to be lower quality, have less food, and lack important items like the flameless heater.

I actually wasn't a big fan of French. They overshot their ability to make high cuisine and ended up including kinda gross or average dishes that would ordinarily be expensive restaurant fare (like pork cheeks, or a cold beef salad).

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Just make sure you get enough MREs you can trade your skittles for your survival buddy's jalapeńo cheese.

Or just ratfuck the boxes for it, up to you.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Make friends with somebody with a peanut allergy, so you can trade your cheese packets and skittles for peanut butter packets and peanut m&ms

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Internet Wizard posted:

Make friends with somebody with a peanut allergy, so you can trade your cheese packets and skittles for peanut butter packets and peanut m&ms

You monster.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Grand Fromage posted:

The Russian 24hr is great. Definitely eat the kasha.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

The Russian 24hr is great. Definitely eat the kasha.

Your avatar and forums name makes this suggestion suspect.

Honestly, you can assemble your own short term (as in, within the next 2 years kept at stable indoor temps) kits from commercially and grocery available dehydrated soups, tinned and shelf-stable meals and meats, and powdered drink mixes.

Otherwise, https://www.mealkitsupply.com/MRE/US/product/mre_12-pack/ and hope you like pasta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIG_6ZOSQys&t for review by our favorite MRE reviewer.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 3, 2017

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Suspect Bucket posted:

Your avatar and forums name makes this suggestion suspect.

Honestly, you can assemble your own short term (as in, within the next 2 years kept at stable indoor temps) kits from commercially and grocery available dehydrated soups, tinned and shelf-stable meals and meats, and powdered drink mixes.

Otherwise, https://www.mealkitsupply.com/MRE/US/product/mre_12-pack/ and hope you like pasta.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIG_6ZOSQys&t for review by our favorite MRE reviewer.

The kasha is loving garbage fit only for animals you don't like.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Chitoryu I haven't forgotten about you!! I have been super busy, but will try get this Aussie pack over to you ASAP

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
Ahh, the ratfucking.
Since I was usually the oldest guy in any unit I was in, I would always stand by when a new box of MREs were opened and let the younger guys all stampede the box like the greedy little ratfucking poo poo piglets that they were.
Of course, that inevitably meant that fully half of my meals for a year were

monster on a stick posted:

Get the omelet if you can, that was legendary.
THE GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING OMELET.

Don't fall for this trap. I genuinely have no idea how this escaped development and saw commercial production. Everyone hated them and that's among Marines in an infantry unit, whose diets are already notoriously raccoon-like. If you were given the omelet entree by itself with no context, you would not recognize it as food. There is nothing about the color, texture, or smell that would lead you to think that it was a food product if you hadn't read the label on the package. I say without hyperbole that dogs won't eat it. Whether some chemical in it puts them off or if they just don't think it's food, I don't know.
That said, it's not inedible. Like all of the less popular MREs, there's some tricks to make it a bit more palatable. Step 1: Melt that poo poo. Apply as much heat to the omelet as possible before even trying to deal with it. Step 2: The MRE comes with a pouch of bacon-flavored hash browns. Stir that trash in there, it'll be all of the texture in the meal. Step 3: Add absolutely any condiment you can get. You might be able to try a sympathy ploy to get a condiment out of someone once they see you have the omelet, or if that fails you can grudgingly trade out the included 2-pack of Pop-Tarts. This is also where Tobasco really shines. Tobasco does one thing and it does it well: it completely overwhelms and destroys the flavor of any food that it touches. In a civilized kitchen, that's a detriment. In the world of the MRE omelet, it's a superpower.

Or, you know what, do get one and just eat the entree as is like a big, cold, wet, wobbly candy bar. :cheeky:

e: to add the word "wet" to the description

xoFcitcrA fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 17, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

McSpergin posted:

Chitoryu I haven't forgotten about you!! I have been super busy, but will try get this Aussie pack over to you ASAP

Great!

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Well, inspired by this thread, I bought a case of MREs to help me with my pending move so I can pack all my regular food items and cookware to not worry about cooking for a few days. The ones I got are towards the end of their life but still perfectly edible for MRE values of such. Mostly I find that they contain more sweet stuff than I typically I want--I'd rather eat two of the unpopular entrees than even one 'raspberry white-chip cookie'. Still only tried a few of them, but they definitely have enough edibles to be sustaining.

I suppose if I were in a military unit I would be one of the many begging for jalapeno cheese spread.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

This thread almost inspired me to buy and report on Belarusian field ration but upon looking it up it just looks kind of boring, like Russian one with less stuff. 2 cans of kasha, tea and crackers.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sekenr posted:

This thread almost inspired me to buy and report on Belarusian field ration but upon looking it up it just looks kind of boring, like Russian one with less stuff. 2 cans of kasha, tea and crackers.

Review the taste of all that fat, at least!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Sekenr posted:

Latvian ration is picture of potato on box of rocks.
Haha, fool you, is also picture of rock.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Photo is actually that of dead wife who was raped and murdered by bandit after you were conscripted into army by government

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Zopotantor posted:

A picture of a rock or something

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Zopotantor posted:

Literally laughed out loud.

:golfclap:

(But, did you KNOOOOOOW (been watching too much of Movies With Mikey) that for a VERY long while the Federal prison system did NOT have Latvian translators (and still may not, but I have been out of that information loop for a long time)?)

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

Review the taste of all that fat, at least!

Its a picture I found on the internet :) Like I said, I didn't buy it, this is just too boring. Basically a box with some cheap food lazily thrown in :effort: . Maybe I'll buy those cans of kasha if I see them.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That sounds like the sort of meal you want to have cheap booze with.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Great, now I'm addicted to Steve1989's videos. I want to try an MRE :v:

There's an Army/Navy store around Downtown Crossing in Boston, I stopped by but it looks like the only MREs are random SoPakCo civilian ones. They were like $13 too. Oh well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

You probably have to look online, it's technically illegal to sell actual MREs so it's safer to do it on the internet than in an actual store.

That said there are brands of commercial sale MREs that are literally identical other than packaging.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Are there any (relatively modern) rations that include alcohol? I know there were custom beer cans in WW2, or whatever, and ye olde rum rationnes (where "ye olde" is "until 1970"), but anything packaged in more modern ones?

I would assume not, but then I'd also assume Russians wouldn't make their aircraft unflyable by drinking the coolant.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Are there any (relatively modern) rations that include alcohol? I know there were custom beer cans in WW2, or whatever, and ye olde rum rationnes (where "ye olde" is "until 1970"), but anything packaged in more modern ones?

I would assume not, but then I'd also assume Russians wouldn't make their aircraft unflyable by drinking the coolant.

that's kind of sad. Soldiers deserve a couple of beers

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Italian ones do. I think maybe French rcir's do as well

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I think there's a modern-ish Italian one that comes with a cute little sachet of liqueur. Steve1989 has a video review of it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grand Fromage posted:

You probably have to look online, it's technically illegal to sell actual MREs so it's safer to do it on the internet than in an actual store.

That said there are brands of commercial sale MREs that are literally identical other than packaging.

That's actually a common misconception. While MREs are labeled claiming that commercial resale is unlawful, there's actually no law anywhere on the books criminalizing their sale (which is why eBay has steadfastly refused to prevent their sales). Soldiers will get in trouble for being caught selling them, but civilians are 100% in the clear to purchase and sell them anywhere.

I've tried several commercial MRE brands and found them all lacking compared to the real deal. Lesser quality food and fewer items.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Grand Fromage posted:

I figured that would be the case. I remember that they started cracking down on it, but I figured I might as well try.

And yeah it makes sense that an MRE maker would rebrand for the civilian market, but then it's not as special, you know? Plus, as chitoryu mentioned, price gouging.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

xoFcitcrA posted:

Ahh, the ratfucking.
Since I was usually the oldest guy in any unit I was in, I would always stand by when a new box of MREs were opened and let the younger guys all stampede the box like the greedy little ratfucking poo poo piglets that they were.
Of course, that inevitably meant that fully half of my meals for a year were

THE GODDAMN MOTHERFUCKING OMELET.

Don't fall for this trap. I genuinely have no idea how this escaped development and saw commercial production. Everyone hated them and that's among Marines in an infantry unit, whose diets are already notoriously raccoon-like. If you were given the omelet entree by itself with no context, you would not recognize it as food. There is nothing about the color, texture, or smell that would lead you to think that it was a food product if you hadn't read the label on the package. I say without hyperbole that dogs won't eat it. Whether some chemical in it puts them off or if they just don't think it's food, I don't know.
That said, it's not inedible. Like all of the less popular MREs, there's some tricks to make it a bit more palatable. Step 1: Melt that poo poo. Apply as much heat to the omelet as possible before even trying to deal with it. Step 2: The MRE comes with a pouch of bacon-flavored hash browns. Stir that trash in there, it'll be all of the texture in the meal. Step 3: Add absolutely any condiment you can get. You might be able to try a sympathy ploy to get a condiment out of someone once they see you have the omelet, or if that fails you can grudgingly trade out the included 2-pack of Pop-Tarts. This is also where Tobasco really shines. Tobasco does one thing and it does it well: it completely overwhelms and destroys the flavor of any food that it touches. In a civilized kitchen, that's a detriment. In the world of the MRE omelet, it's a superpower.

Or, you know what, do get one and just eat the entree as is like a big, cold, wet, wobbly candy bar. :cheeky:

e: to add the word "wet" to the description

I'm so old I had the omelet with ham MRE that came BEFORE the one you're describing while I was in the army! I'm talking OG 1988-1994 era MREs. It didn't come with hash browns, but the omelet itself had all the vile properties you describe, including animals not believing it was food.

:corsair:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

sean10mm posted:

I'm so old I had the omelet with ham MRE that came BEFORE the one you're describing while I was in the army! I'm talking OG 1988-1994 era MREs. It didn't come with hash browns, but the omelet itself had all the vile properties you describe, including animals not believing it was food.

:corsair:

Same.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

When I was a kid my Dad brought some LRRP rations from Vietnam. Early freeze-dried rations. The chili was pretty decent, but we may not have rehydrated it enough, as the beans were still powdery inside.

Some years later he brought some C rations back from the field. He confiscated the cigs, but iirc the food was meh, at best.

After retirement he gave me some new flavor mre's with the heating packet. The spaghetti wasn't bad, and the burger patty was pretty tough.

Side note- during the wait for Desert Storm Trudeau had a Sunday comic about mre's and what the troops thought of them. Dad wrote him saying how right he was and Trudeau sent him the artist's proof. I later got that as a Christmas present.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

That's actually a common misconception. While MREs are labeled claiming that commercial resale is unlawful, there's actually no law anywhere on the books criminalizing their sale (which is why eBay has steadfastly refused to prevent their sales). Soldiers will get in trouble for being caught selling them, but civilians are 100% in the clear to purchase and sell them anywhere.

I've tried several commercial MRE brands and found them all lacking compared to the real deal. Lesser quality food and fewer items.

Well 'real' MREs all had some kind or orogin with the military/government, so if someone is selling them they are probably stolen unless you can buy MREs from bulk government auctions.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Plinkey posted:

Well 'real' MREs all had some kind or orogin with the military/government, so if someone is selling them they are probably stolen unless you can buy MREs from bulk government auctions.

"Stolen" is a bit dramatic. Soldiers often return from the field with issued MREs that weren't eaten and give them to people or sell them. The government doesn't do bulk auctions of MREs themselves as far as I know, but sometimes contractors who assemble MREs get orders cancelled (in one case I saw, it was a huge order for a PMC that ended up pulling out of the Middle East before delivery) and sell off the product commercially.

Even if you want to argue that the MREs are stolen, it's not like they're taking M16s for the black market. It's commercially available food and accessory items in different packaging being assembled in a bag. I think the ghost of Chesty Puller will look the other way.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Isn't that the basis of like, every Army Surplus store though? Surplus being the operative word.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

You're not allowed to sell issued MREs because technically they're government property. Any extra ones you have after a field ex or whatever you're supposed to return so it can be used later, it's not your personal property. This is just never enforced, though.

That being said, there are plenty of ways to legally acquire MREs for personal use. Every commissary I've ever been inside of sells them.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This thread is amazing and I love it. However, I am a bit concerned that the French heating tablets are called "friendly fire."

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
I suspect resale is only frowned upon so you don't have too many instances where you're shipping 100 crates of rations to a combat zone, and 20 mysteriously fall off the back of a truck and end up contributing to some logistics officer's vacation fund instead of actually feeding troops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I read somewhere specifically that veterans are allowed to purchase them from PXs though I don't know at what cost. Once they buy them they're private property no matter what the bag says, but I don't know what cost or volume they can get.

• Locked thread