Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SirPhoebos posted:

Anyone else have an issue with the Mastermind bugging out?

I got to him last night and the first time I managed to defeat him, he was still twitching on the ground like in his last phase (even though he was doing no attacks). I reset the fight and beat him down again. This time the Glory Kill prompt appears but there's an invisible object preventing me from getting into range. I reset, wash, repeat, and on the third time, I can get into range, but the prompt doesn't appear (and hitting E doesn't do anything either).

At that point I gave up and just went back to playing earlier levels, but I would like to get the clear.

UPDATE: I was hitting the E key when I needed to be hitting F :sweatdrop:

Gaem Over. Time to hunt down all the secrets/start an Ultra-Violence playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I just started playing RAGE recently after buying it on a sale who knows how long ago, it is hard to believe these two games are from the same company. DO4M is so much less forgiving about damage on the higher skill levels (no regenerating health), and yet so much easier at the same time once you just cut loose. Maybe it is just because there are no enemies in DO4M with hitscan weapons. Also "RAGE" is definitely the correct word for when your character can't jump over a knee high obstacle.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AirRaid posted:

Doom is also a lot harder than it needs to be if you try to play it the way most other recent FPSes have trained you - by using cover and moving slowly. In Doom, you gotta go fast, stopping means dying. Always be moving, always be killing. Remember to throw in Glory kills whenever youre close enough (doesn't need to be every kill or even every other) to get health back, and most importantly RIP AND TEAR.

Somebody once said that Doom is more like Robotron than it is like modern FPS, and you know, that's really true. You can basically play the old Doom games with the map up as a 2D geometry wars type thing, although it doesn't render projectiles on the map. If it did, it'd literally be robotron.

So yeah, you've gotta think about things very different than other FPS, if you don't play doom 1/2 often. (you should!)

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I'd like to see if doom could be ported to the nes or something with the gameplay 100% intact, just with the graphics changed to an overhead view.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

echronorian posted:

I would play the poo poo out of an extra mode for doom 2016 that literally drains your health if you stop moving

There's one already, it's called Press Start to Play

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I don't think there was a single moment in Doom where I thought "Yeah now is a good time to stop moving."

I think a very apt and nice comparison is that Doom is basically DDR. Just with sick rear end metal.

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 20, 2017

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

You can basically play the old Doom games with the map up as a 2D geometry wars type thing, although it doesn't render projectiles on the map. If it did, it'd literally be robotron.
One of the cheat codes does this: type in "iddt" twice and you're in Robotron world.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Zaphod42 posted:

You can basically play the old Doom games with the map up as a 2D geometry wars type thing, although it doesn't render projectiles on the map. If it did, it'd literally be robotron.

So I'm not the only kid who did this then?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Michaellaneous posted:

I don't think there was a single moment in Doom where I thought "Yeah now is a good time to stop moving."

Helps immensely when the movement is so fluid, intuitive, and fast. Plus that framerate. You want to move because it feels so good. I'm playing JC3 now and while things in the air feel great, Rico on two feet controls no better than a character out of a PS2 game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
This briefly popped up on Bethesda's EU merch shop before vanishing again.

Hopefully that date is a placeholder.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Can we still get plushie cacodemons?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

ilmucche posted:

Can we still get plushie cacodemons?

I got all plush dolls the same instant they got on the store and I love them. Pain elemental and cacodemon look adorable, got the marine between them for máximum cuteness :3:

destitute
May 1, 2002
It's about how hard you get hit and keep moving forward.
Nap Ghost
That looks pretty awesome, and I totally want to get one. I'm actually a bit surprised they didn't get those vinyl statues (Funko Pop I think?) to do them earlier and make a tidy profit. Give them out at Quakecon or something.

I am betting Doom 5 will wind up named either Doom: [some metal subtitle] or just whatever subtitle they come up with. Something from the codex, I would bet.

Doom 5: DooM 2016 Part 2: Doomslayer's Day Off

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can't wait for this game to, one day in the future, get ported to the Nintendo Switch!!!!

quoting this goon prediction that came true

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

...! posted:

OK, I like to think I'm pretty good at video games, including FPSs, but this game is loving HARD. :stare:

I had to dial it down to easy because otherwise I just get demolished.

AirRaid posted:

Doom is also a lot harder than it needs to be if you try to play it the way most other recent FPSes have trained you - by using cover and moving slowly. In Doom, you gotta go fast, stopping means dying. Always be moving, always be killing. Remember to throw in Glory kills whenever youre close enough (doesn't need to be every kill or even every other) to get health back, and most importantly RIP AND TEAR.

Pretty much what he said. That first room killed me more than i'd like to admit, but the creators of the game stated it on the noclip documentaries that the first room is intentionally there to train you, to get used to constantly running and hunting for the imps.

It's pretty cool how they made it so that by the time you get the hang of it, the next fight is in a bigger room, with plenty of running, and before you know it, you get into this bloodthirsty trance of doing just enough damage so that you glory kill, giving you just enough time to plan your next move. Then once you get the hang of THAT, then you start getting creative.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Huh. I don't think my old man reflexes could handle that style of gameplay.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

...! posted:

Huh. I don't think my old man reflexes could handle that style of gameplay.

Its not really a matter of reflexes. CSGO is reflexes. Doom is more like a smooth track run, almost like you're playing a racing game. You're racing laps around the room and each time you complete a circle you smash through a different enemy.

I mean in a way FPS aiming is always reflexes but at the same time in doom you can just hold your gun still and run around until your crosshairs line up and then shoot. You don't even have to aim.

You should play doom like you're on ice skates and you're using the shotgun like its a baseball bat.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Sep 21, 2017

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I took to doom 2016 like a fish to water. I think my brother had a bit more problems though and I think it's due to our different experiences. My brother played a ton of CS and was pretty drat scary at it. So games like Battlefield, CoD and PUBG are games he just naturally has a leg up in. Meanwhile I went whole hog on Quake 3 back then, so all the shooters that incorporate a bit of realism are lost on me. Instead arcade shooters like this and overwatch make inherent sense to me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the reflexes part kicks in when you start actively dodging fireballs instead of circle-strafing and hoping

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I just started playing RAGE recently after buying it on a sale who knows how long ago, it is hard to believe these two games are from the same company. DO4M is so much less forgiving about damage on the higher skill levels (no regenerating health), and yet so much easier at the same time once you just cut loose. Maybe it is just because there are no enemies in DO4M with hitscan weapons. Also "RAGE" is definitely the correct word for when your character can't jump over a knee high obstacle.

Rage is loving awful, I bought it on Steam a few weeks ago because I never played it and I wanted to see what id's output was like immediately before Doom 2016. I really can't believe both these games were by the same team. The gameplay is just so anaemic and dull. Rage is the absolute epitome of a generic, lifeless, unimaginative, derivative, brown dull shooter. ZzzZzzZzzz. Yet Doom 2016 is one of the best shooters in a decade. Go figure.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Kins posted:

60 bucks?! :prepop:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Rage also released in a literally unplayable state for almost all AMD graphics cards. It was my first true disappointment as a PC gamer, I'd just built my first PC and everything ran like a dream on it and then I was so amped for RAGE and no matter what I did it would crash within 30 seconds of startup.

Finally after months, probably 3-4, I got an email from AMD saying they would reissue old drivers and that cleared it up and I was finally able to play it but honestly it could have been The Last of Us, I was just so salty about it. I guess I lucked out ultimately by missing out on a lovely game, but the real lesson here is NEVER PRE-ORDER

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Rage was a bad game, but it was mostly bad because of all the forced vehicle travel and vehicle combat sections.

I liked the on-foot combat, specifically the weapon system and the supplemental damage stuff like deployable gun turrets you could make, not to mention how the game made enemies react believably to being shot.

If the game would have been just a straight linear shooter with all the traveling sections cut completely and the on-foot shooting sections spliced straight together one after the other, I would've legitimately really liked the game.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Rage is loving awful, I bought it on Steam a few weeks ago because I never played it and I wanted to see what id's output was like immediately before Doom 2016. I really can't believe both these games were by the same team. The gameplay is just so anaemic and dull. Rage is the absolute epitome of a generic, lifeless, unimaginative, derivative, brown dull shooter. ZzzZzzZzzz. Yet Doom 2016 is one of the best shooters in a decade. Go figure.

Well, they really weren't the same team. ID is leaner and was freed of a lot of built in politics once a lot of the hangers on got out of the way of the company.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Kins posted:

It's about time. I wanted on last year.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

RAGE is a weird mediocre game. The linear levels are fun but there's a ton of invisible walls everywhere in the game (what the hell is the point of this) and as a result it feels like an on-rails shooter at points, the shooting is god-tier and enemy reactions/weapon feedback and sound surpass Doom in some areas, everything else like the open world and driving is dull and half-finished, the characters look incredible and are animated beautifully but they're just there for exposition or giving you side quests that retread the same areas you already went to. The game has no ending or real writing despite its attempts to make you feel like it's some grand adventure (that melodramatic intro) - there's some prequel novel that fills in the game's entire backstory and gives the main character an actual voice and personality, none of which is present in the final game.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

echronorian posted:

Well, they really weren't the same team. ID is leaner and was freed of a lot of built in politics once a lot of the hangers on got out of the way of the company.
tim willits was the lead director on RAGE and he's still very much around

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Was there any game where the vehicle sections were fun other than Halo? Why are so many games vehicle sections so damned bad.

I am glad they didnt try to cram any into Doom.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I had plenty of fun with the driving and shooting in RAGE, though there was a good bit of spoiled potential in the former. The thing that utterly infuriated me about RAGE at the time was the complete lack of an ending. Someday I'll be curious to do some reading into the hell that game's development must have been. The ending was actively insulting if you took the time to play that far.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Toadsmash posted:

I had plenty of fun with the driving and shooting in RAGE, though there was a good bit of spoiled potential in the former. The thing that utterly infuriated me about RAGE at the time was the complete lack of an ending. Someday I'll be curious to do some reading into the hell that game's development must have been. The ending was actively insulting if you took the time to play that far.

The ending is like that because they were pushed to release sooner than they wanted to (go Bethesda go!) and then the game did so poorly (partly because it was so rushed) that they never really did any follow up work with it.

But yeah there were plenty of questionable design decisions in that game.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

AirRaid posted:

The ending is like that because they were pushed to release sooner than they wanted to (go Bethesda go!) and then the game did so poorly (partly because it was so rushed) that they never really did any follow up work with it.

But yeah there were plenty of questionable design decisions in that game.

Kinda like KOTOR 2?

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Toadsmash posted:

I heard the DLC tried to add some life and give the illusion of an ending, but I've yet to play RAGE. I would totally run it once I got a better PC.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
I mean, it's far from a perfect game, but they absolutely nailed the gunplay and it really was a gorgeous game for its time. If it had another year, year and a half in the oven, I could easily imagine people having very different (for the better) memories of it. If you don't focus too hard on the more obviously unfinished elements, it's still a very enjoyable experience. I can forgive the game a lot for how satisfying the combat was.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
I'm guessing the animation tech for the imps drew from the dudes in RAGE as well, given how mobile and responsive they could be. I also really liked some of the car handling - not nearly as fun as the halo warthog but a million times better than the POS vehicles you have in the borderlands games.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

Was there any game where the vehicle sections were fun other than Halo? Why are so many games vehicle sections so damned bad.

I am glad they didnt try to cram any into Doom.

I rather enjoyed driving/boating around in Half Life 2.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

A.o.D. posted:

You and me buddy :hfive:

Seems like nobody likes them these days.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

GlyphGryph posted:

Are we counting open world/multiplayer stuff like vehicles in Battlefield/Battegrounds or Sleeping Dogs/GTA/FarCry? Red Faction Guerilla had both direct driving and missions where you're gunning on an npc vehicle. What about setpiece stuff like Bulletstorm's robot-trex section or Bayonetta's Route 666?

I don't mind vehicles most of the time, though i've yet to enjoy a racing (or worse, stopwatch/countdown race) mission in a game that lacks both the mechanics and context to not just half-rear end it. Bonus point if the AI is nothing but staggering amounts of rubber-banding.
And apparently RAGE was a third of garbage like that.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 24, 2017

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

I played through Half Life 2 again recently and the beach buggy section was still my favourite bit. It's a relaxing sunday drive, but with gravity guns.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Toadsmash posted:

If it had another year, year and a half in the oven, I could easily imagine people having very different (for the better) memories of it.
It's difficult, when playing the game, to remember that Rage was in development for, what, six years? Seven? I can't remember the exact amount, but they floundered for a long time for a number of reasons, like an inability to manage the larger teams that modern games were built with (Doom 3 was built by just 26 people! Rage... was quite a jump up from that.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I didn't see this posted, but here's a cool retrospective on the myriad OG Doom console ports:

https://youtu.be/784MUbDoLjQ