Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Sakurako is best worst girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
new all rounder meguru chapter was released, and he had a bad childhood :(

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
None of these people deserve happiness.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
but enough about eden

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Witch Craft Works is back, with the most powerful form of Ayaka yet.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i love that dumb manga

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

The Strongest Girl.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Witch Craft Works is extremely good.

Mikl posted:

The Strongest Girl.

Her rabbit earrings are enormous.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

chumbler posted:

Witch Craft Works is extremely good.

Her rabbit earrings are enormous.

It looks like those rabbit things are used for her hair.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
new Somali. I love everything about this world.

I feel like it might have a quite sad ending, though.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The first Death Note OP was so amazing I wasn't expecting the second one to be so bad, thematic I guess. I really liked L putting literal zero effort into tricking Misa into helping him catch Kira when he told Chief Yagami and the others they could do what they want. This episode is the one that originally made me think that he would fake his death. He has a discussion with Light where innocentLight lays out that L thinks he's still Kira and has erased his own memories until suspicion passes which is exactly correct. It makes it sound like his best plan is to therefore fake his death. Though that has problems when L restores his memories he'll know Kira didn't kill L. Though L could make it seem like Yotsuba found him out or something.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ancient Magus Bride 40

You have only yourselves to blame, Ruth/Elias. Ruth especially, you should've known better :colbert:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
goddamn i love birdmen. the big ideas are nice, but the characters bouncing off of each other as they become both closer and less human is so wonderful.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
birdmen is really good

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

EmmyOk posted:

The first Death Note OP was so amazing I wasn't expecting the second one to be so bad, thematic I guess.

Are you really making GBS threads on the song that managed to get the word "gently caress" through on Adult Swim uncensored back in like 08

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Ningen Fucker posted:

The first Death Note OP was so amazing I wasn't expecting the second one to be so bad

The second op and ed are unforgettable and timeless. I recommend listening to the full version of What's Up People sometime so you can hear Maximum the Hormone's singing devolve into crazy chicken clucks and wheezing by the end of the song.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Are you really making GBS threads on the song that managed to get the word "gently caress" through on Adult Swim uncensored back in like 08

There's a few points that sound like really heavy cursing but not gently caress lol. I like the animation but the metal isn't as good as "KURUGUURUGU"

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

The first Death Note OP was so amazing I wasn't expecting the second one to be so bad, thematic I guess.

Ningen sucker detected

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

yeah actually they will die when I wrote their name in this death note, punk!

e: I have been taking my time watching this partially because of the sad times ahead. Higuchi is about to be caught I am pretty sure because he's racing to the fake offices to try and find Matsuda's name. I'm guessing this is so L can see how Kira kills when Higuchi tries and fails to kill Matsuda. However if Light's plan relied on Rem showing herself to Misa seemingly at random then that's really lame and I suspect a lot of his master plan is going to have "you couldn't have predicted that" holes.

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Sep 24, 2017

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

rem really likes misa so much that she would die for her

also second op is the best, 15 year old me really enjoyed it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

rem really likes misa so much that she would die for her

also second op is the best, 15 year old me really enjoyed it

Yeah I understand that but it doesn't seem like he specifically told Rem to let Misa see her so much as it was something Rem chose to do and presumably Light predicted. They just trapped Higuchi on the bridge and I was sure I the next episode was going to be the "just according to keikaku" scene. However my friend told me that the investigators get their hands on a notebook and can see Ryuk or something so they know how Kira kills before L dies. The next episode description text supports that too that Higuchi tells them everything. I guess there's a second helicopter scene. Man I hope even though he dies here that L at least understands what happened :saddowns:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

well misa got her memories back because rem noticed her and was concerned for her safety. She was always a big ally to misa, more so than ryuk was to light.
I don't think that was planned though, light was always banking on getting the note back by defeating the new kira

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

goddamn i love birdmen. the big ideas are nice, but the characters bouncing off of each other as they become both closer and less human is so wonderful.

i read all of birdmen after i read this

feels just the right amount of edgy and comedy, also birbmen are cute
hopefully they steer clear of the eden stuff, it's by far the weakest

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

well misa got her memories back because rem noticed her and was concerned for her safety. She was always a big ally to misa, more so than ryuk was to light.
I don't think that was planned though, light was always banking on getting the note back by defeating the new kira

Light just restored his memories and I'll have to have a big think about how much he relied on coincidence though it's not nearly as much as I expected. You're correct though Light's plan was that he could catch his replacement and Misa getting her memories back helped that but wasn't a necessity. I thought L died in the helicopter but I guess that comes later because "just according to plan" and the watch scene already happened. L knows about the Death Notes and imo clearly knows something is fucky with the rules and is convinced Light is Kira. A friend mentioned the hair move when Rem leaves Misa originally. I think L will realise that hair move was Rem patting Misa on the head and deduce that Misa must be the second Kira and Rem is her ally which leads to Rem killing him and therefore herself. Cut down just as he realises the answer :saddowns:

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

it's gonna be interesting to see your reaction to death note as a whole if its your first time, it's pretty darn good.

on another note, fight manga rikudou apparently started being translated again, poo poo's gonna pop off

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Oh man I totally forgot this is how Light kills L, by making Rem do it. I wish she'd write his name in first though, go out like a G

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I still call bullshit on the JUST AS PLANNED scene. Light's a genius, ok, fine, but the whole plan hinged on a series of coincidences beyond his control and on the pieces falling into place on their own once he set things into motion. He didn't even choose who the new Kira would be, he just told Ryuk "go find a dude that fits this general character and give them the death note". That things went exactly as Light had planned is too much of a stretch.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mikl posted:

I still call bullshit on the JUST AS PLANNED scene. Light's a genius, ok, fine, but the whole plan hinged on a series of coincidences beyond his control and on the pieces falling into place on their own once he set things into motion. He didn't even choose who the new Kira would be, he just told Ryuk "go find a dude that fits this general character and give them the death note". That things went exactly as Light had planned is too much of a stretch.

I haven't had a Big Think™ about it but his plan was fairly basic but workable imo. Giving it to a powerhungry person insures they'll use it. Considering how fast L tracked down Light it's a solid assumption that together they can hunt down someone else between them. Almost no one else on Earth is going to be on their level so it's only a matter of time before they catch the newest Kira. It also took two weeks for Rem to find a suitable candidate so it's not like she hit up the first dude she met.

Holy poo poo how did I forget about "Tell me Light from when you were born has there been a time where you've actually told the truth?". I guess they both get killed this episode

e:during the foot rub scene L says "atone for my sins" clearly a sly dig at Kira killing sinners

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 25, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Papa-to-Oyaji-no-Uchi-Gohan

this just showed up and the first chapter is promising, two single dads sharing a house with their son and daughter, shenanigans ensue, also cooking-focused it seems. Dunno what's up with the recent surge in cooking-themed series, not that I'm complaining.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The second season of it coming out this Fall reminded me, but what is the current status of March comes in like a Lion? As far as I can tell volume 12 is the latest release in Japan, which was over a year ago.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really enjoyed that series and caught up, but that was like 50000 years ago and I'm gonna have to just reread it when it's finally all uploaded and done or something cuz I don't remember a goddamn thing

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Wild Horses posted:

it's gonna be interesting to see your reaction to death note as a whole if its your first time, it's pretty darn good.

on another note, fight manga rikudou apparently started being translated again, poo poo's gonna pop off

Not quite, I have seen this far before though I never realised I dropped it so close to the end. Mello just took the Death Note the NPA had and then killed most of Near's SPK taskforce. I've seen a bit further than this as I remember a bunch of angry protestors banging on Near's window, I'm guessing pro-Kira protestors that Light sent. I dropped it then because I was super upset and tired of Light winning after thinking that N and M were going to take him down. I remember thinking that Near was just a copy of L that the writer was lazy about but I'm totally revising that opinion now. Near and Mello are very clearly individual aspects of L separated out and turned up to 11. Mello has the candy loving (though loving finish a bar you piece of poo poo) and "do whatever is needed" attitude and Near is the cold and detached reasoning that doesn't get emotional. Roger, the orphanage director, says they should work together when they are first introduced and Mello declines but I think that this is how they'll eventually beat Light. As a pair they're a perfect L successor and probably smarter than either L or Light are individually.

I heard a guidebook says L's real name is L. Lawliet which is amazing and as good as Quillish Wammy is I'd hoped Watari's real name would be William W. Watery.

I heard loads of people talk about the foot rub scene saying how weird it was or talk about it as an affectionate moment from the two even for Light. I mean sure it's those things but it's a pretty clear it's a reference to Jesus washing Judas' feet at the last supper considering L keeps mentioning betrayal and how he's soon to die. Maybe that's common knowledge and I've just seen silly billies posting also the fact that most people probably aren't raised in a strict catholic household. Speaking of L talking about betrayal...

He surely must have set up provisions for his death because he seemed so aware of it. The episode where he dies opens with he and Watari alone in the monitor room and Watari asking him what's wrong. Then there's the whole rain scene where he asks Light "since you've been born have you ever told the truth?" and afterwards the foot rub scene where he clearly states "won't it be lonely?... we'll go our separate ways soon". However then Watari deleted all the data L had gathered which at first I assumed Rem had commanded him to do in her Death Note but it was actually something Watari was supposed to do. Perhaps there was something in there to instruct people on how to catch Kira he didn't want Light to see. However I thought he might send that info to the orphanage first but Near makes no mention of it and has had to spend the past five years investigating Kira in secret.

I figure most people have read Death Note or are aware of the big plot points but I figure it's 0 effort to spoiler tag something just in case no matter how old. Are the author's other works good? Baccano I've heard can be very so so but what about Platinum End?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Nate RFB posted:

The second season of it coming out this Fall reminded me, but what is the current status of March comes in like a Lion? As far as I can tell volume 12 is the latest release in Japan, which was over a year ago.
Next volume to release in three days, apparently.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

EmmyOk posted:

I figure most people have read Death Note or are aware of the big plot points but I figure it's 0 effort to spoiler tag something just in case no matter how old. Are the author's other works good? Baccano I've heard can be very so so but what about Platinum End?

Not Baccano, Bakuman.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Platinum End is trash and IMO "their" first real failure but I have heard people recommending Bakuman from time to time. Also some complaining that it's kinda misogynistic. never bothered with it myself and never will. not super interested.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Not Baccano, Bakuman.

I always make this mistake!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Platinum End is trash and IMO "their" first real failure but I have heard people recommending Bakuman from time to time. Also some complaining that it's kinda misogynistic. never bothered with it myself and never will. not super interested.

Yeah I heard that the main romance is pretty terrible but also just really badly written. Like they hardly ever have any panels together then inexplicably get married. That's a shame about Platinum End because it sounded like it might get back to some of the Death Note fun.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
their ridiculous joke of a relationship is bad on its own, but they never actually grow out of it.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Coaaab posted:

Next volume to release in three days, apparently.

Yeah new volumes get released once a year for March Comes like a Lion.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

their ridiculous joke of a relationship is bad on its own, but they never actually grow out of it.

I think the worst part is how at the end of the series when misogynistic internet assholes were slutshaming Miho for the crime of being in a relationship, they use their ridiculous relationship as the main reason to get everyone to back off. It's presented as this pure love, so that somehow makes it okay for a female VA to get in a relationship. Bakuman was fun, but it was also pretty hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

The part where his pure, innocent gf was helping him grip his pen so he could work himself harder to death in the hospital was touching