Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Just got my new Vectrex Multicart 3.0 from http://www.vectrexmulti.com and

Yeah that's the good poo poo.

cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That's awesome. Vectrex looked awesome from the older Ashen video about the console. Plus it has one really nice start up jingle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nerL0RlN3E

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

That's awesome. Now I need to decide between the 2.5 cart or the 3.0.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I went all-out for this:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cb9dX-vHVM

rip the boutique crt market

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://houston.craigslist.org/ele/d/2-matching-mitsubishi-cscrt/6304871058.html

And here's a good deal if you want two 400lb CRTs with road cases.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Someone mentioned Xbox so I need to mention that I finally managed to find a copy of Otogi today for $10 and it's a fun game.

Still weird as poo poo, but what From game isn't?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Elliotw2 posted:

Someone mentioned Xbox so I need to mention that I finally managed to find a copy of Otogi today for $10 and it's a fun game.

Still weird as poo poo, but what From game isn't?

Was this linked already?

https://www.pcmag.com/news/356380/xbox-duke-controller-available-for-the-holidays

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I bought a good game today

https://twitter.com/sacaitlin/status/911670497875824640

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
My new Vectrex multicart also just came in today. Sean Kelly made his already great multicart even better. There is one or two titles I wish were on there like Vectrexagon (Super Hexagon for Vectrex) but I can get that cheaply through Packrat Games.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm assuming (hoping) someone will be working on a VMU hack for that embedded screen

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Vectrex multicart seems really cool, but what do you do about the overlays? They seem pretty integral to the presentation of lots of games.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Mostly they're just lazy colorization though, and a control guide on the bottom of the screen. There's a few people that do reproduction overlays, or you can make your own if you're careful and have a decent inkjet printer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That's pretty neat (:shepspends:) but I can't help but think they should've gone all-out with a circular screen filling the entire space. It's not like they don't exist, considering plenty of smartwatches use them.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

But what's you're thoughts on Speed 2?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Alucardd posted:

My new Vectrex multicart also just came in today. Sean Kelly made his already great multicart even better. There is one or two titles I wish were on there like Vectrexagon (Super Hexagon for Vectrex) but I can get that cheaply through Packrat Games.

Dude, play Wormhole.

Because reasons.

I just streamed Wormhole on my FB Live channel because I'm a gigantic Gyruss spooge: https://www.facebook.com/thepulserifleplays/videos/1942287792662826/

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Retrogames UK has some interesting Sega additions this week.

Anyone got about $500USD spare for a PAL copy of Snatcher? :eyepop:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Crossposted from the NES\SNES classic thread...

Speaking of the Playing with Power book. I just got the NES Classic one because my 4yo is obsessed with Bubble Bobble. Turns out that isn't in it. Is there a supplemental one, or a Nintendo Power I can search out with Bubble Bobble? Is there an index somewhere of what games appeared in what games magazine issue?

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

My local skating rink had a Dynamite Cop cabinet and it was the second game I got for the Dreamcast. It's still my favorite beat-em-up and I've probably spent more time and money on that Sega game than any other except maybe Phantasy Star (Online). Love that poo poo

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Elliotw2 posted:

Mostly they're just lazy colorization though, and a control guide on the bottom of the screen. There's a few people that do reproduction overlays, or you can make your own if you're careful and have a decent inkjet printer.

Yeah anything the can handle transparency prints can get you a great quality Vectrex overlay since its screen size is a good deal below the space on a standard printer page. And these days you can usually get like a pack of 50 sheets for ~$15. Vectrex stuff can fit two overlays per standard letter size page, since the dimensions they need to be is roughly 7.1 inches by 5.2 inches - but some printers want too much margin space on the top and bottom of the page for you to actually fit the two in.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

RodShaft posted:

Crossposted from the NES\SNES classic thread...

Speaking of the Playing with Power book. I just got the NES Classic one because my 4yo is obsessed with Bubble Bobble. Turns out that isn't in it. Is there a supplemental one, or a Nintendo Power I can search out with Bubble Bobble? Is there an index somewhere of what games appeared in what games magazine issue?

I've got a harddrive full of old game mags and the most I could find was a short blurb from the Nintendo Power from the month that the game came out (November 88 looks like). Here it is anyway for the heck of it

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Fawf posted:

I've got a harddrive full of old game mags and the most I could find was a short blurb from the Nintendo Power from the month that the game came out (November 88 looks like). Here it is anyway for the heck of it

That is some serious commitment to alliteration.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Someone is in for some fun.

Do you have the Sega Ages version of the original game? It's one of the better packages in the series for having a lot of features and some interesting extra modes (including Altered Beast for those weirdos). I guess that makes up for not being able to include the Die Hard stuff.

Kind of a shame that Sega hasn't tried to revive the series since it really feels like it was running a bit ahead of its time.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Fawf posted:

You're awesome. I got some pages from the other thread. I'm gonna print it all and done arcade flyers and make a lil book for him.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Stepped foot in a Gamestop for the first time in many years looking for some PS3 games to start my collection. They sells TONS of crap now, all sorts of nerdy junk. Half the PS3 games didn't have the original box, just the white GS label.

I ended up getting:

The Last of Us (had to ask for this one, why wouldn't this be on the shelf?)
South Park - The Stick of Truth
and something called THE ULTIMATE ACTION TRIPLE PACK containing Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs, and Tomb Raider on one disc. I probably wouldn't have gotten any of these games but for $10 why not.

They didn't have too much I was interested in, and the stuff I might have picked up was cheaper on Amazon for new copies.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

TheManWithNoName posted:

containing Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs, and Tomb Raider on one disc. I probably wouldn't have gotten any of these games but for $10 why not.

The good news is that all three of those are real good!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Sleeping Dogs is so loving good

One of the few things I bothered to platinum, I just loved playing it so much.

Just Cause 2 is an excellent sandbox too.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

TheManWithNoName posted:

and something called THE ULTIMATE ACTION TRIPLE PACK containing Just Cause 2, Sleeping Dogs, and Tomb Raider on one disc. I probably wouldn't have gotten any of these games but for $10 why not.

gently caress, that is a goddamn steal at that price!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Wamdoodle posted:

gently caress, that is a goddamn steal at that price!

There's also an ULTIMATE STEALTH TRIPLE PACK with Thief, Hitman: Absolution, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I'll probably grab that one eventually too.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Uhhhhhh. Thats gonna be one hell of a letdown compared to the first pack.

IIRC, Sleeping Dogs was supposed to be one of those True Crime or whatever games and then they just decided to make it its own thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FilthyImp posted:

IIRC, Sleeping Dogs was supposed to be one of those True Crime or whatever games and then they just decided to make it its own thing.

Sort of - it was an original game that Activision made them turn into a True Crime game, then Activision dropped it and Square-Enix picked it up and it became a (different) original game again.

The very first version was called Black Lotus and it had a female protagonist based on Lucy Liu.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Sleeping Dogs is really loving good and Giant Bomb's quick looks of the game and its dlc are some of the funniest videos they've ever done.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Fawf posted:

In hindsight it really is ridiculous how they give you three seconds to get one item in one level to get the good ending. I did it once as a kid but I'd never try again.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

In hindsight it really is ridiculous how they give you three seconds to get one item in one level to get the good ending. I did it once as a kid but I'd never try again.

My 4yo and I have done it once, but apparently you have to then defeat the boss in one go. We've still not seen the good ending.

He can 1 credit his way to around level 50 in NES Bubble Bobble, but can't read. Priorities.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

The best part of this is how one of Jean Ivy's legs is significantly longer than the other.

Anyway, I figured I'd post some more of my buddy's work. Here's his SCART mod for a cheap old TV.

https://m.imgur.com/a/tduzo

He also does plenty of system mods, like this HDMI NES.

https://m.imgur.com/a/lOZkq

Every time I offer to buy him an account here he vows to get himself banned instantly.

Kid Fenris fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 24, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Thats an interesting mod. I wonder how adapting a RGB-scart to component input would compare (and save time and risk of death). Sounds like he is going to do a comparison next by modding a tv with every input and compare. So I assume he would do RGB - component for that input (can't think of another way).

Since you are still only doing consumer grade line count, you are just feeding it the most pure/accurate input anyway. So I would assume the best quality component would be pretty close to that, especially since you only have to order the adapter (if your console is modded anyway).

FireMrshlBill fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 24, 2017

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

TheManWithNoName posted:

There's also an ULTIMATE STEALTH TRIPLE PACK with Thief, Hitman: Absolution, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I'll probably grab that one eventually too.

Thief is a huge disappointment, glad I sold my copy, especially since it has been a freebie on PS+ and Xbox Live Gold over the past years or so.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheManWithNoName posted:

These and a few similar PS3/360 bundles are phenomenal value for the price.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FireMrshlBill posted:

Thief is a huge disappointment, glad I sold my copy, especially since it has been a freebie on PS+ and Xbox Live Gold over the past years or so.

I went into Thief expecting it to be godawful.

It failed to live up to those expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Fess up, I know you're here.

https://twitter.com/retsamnokner/status/911875683088867328

• Locked thread