Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, fulltime rides for next year:

Penske
1: Newgarden
12: Power
22: SiPag

Foyt (🇧🇷)
4: Leist
14: TK

SPM (:canada:)
5: Hinch
7: Wickens

GCR
9: Dixon
10: Jones

Rahal
15: Graham
16: Sato

Coyne
18: SeaBass
19:

Special Ed
20: Special Ed/???
21: Pigot

Andretti
26: Veach
27: Rossi
28: RHR
29: :gbsmith:
98: Marco

Harding
88: Chaves

Carlin
8: Chilton
83: Kimball

Limited Schedule teams
Juncos
??: Kaiser (500 + Indy GP + 2 other races)

Shank-SPM:
60: Harvey (6 race deal)

Potential New Teams

Notable Free Agents and Drivers That Have Expressed Interest:
  • Aleshin** (ex-SPM, likely done)
  • Claman DeMelo (Lights)
  • Davison (Lights, 500 runner)
  • Daly** (ex-Foyt)
  • Gutierrez** (ex-DCR, rumored to return)
  • Hartley (Likely F1 with Toro Rosso)
  • JR** (ex-ECR, likely done)
  • Palmer** (ex-F1, Would bring funding)
  • Sage** (:barf:)
  • Servia** (working with SPM)
  • Saavedra**
  • Urrutia (possible full time)
  • Vautier**

500 Only Rides
  • Ryan Blaney (Interested, would be with Penske)
  • Danica
  • Tristan Gommendy* (Would be partnered with SPM in the 77 car)
  • Helio (Penske)
  • Kyle Larson (Interested, would be with CGR)
  • JPM :smith: (possibly with SPM)
  • Munoz (desired)
  • Wilson (Andretti)

*Likely but not confirmed by the team itself
**Either has spent a full season prior in Indy, F1, or is a previous Lights champion

So, as it currently stands:
-22 Highly Likely Fulltime Rides (20 being the absolute low end)
-20 confirmed/highly likely rides filled
-3 empty spots

Anything I missed?

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
That looks correct. Munoz for sure isn't returning?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Human Grand Prix posted:

That looks correct. Munoz for sure isn't returning?

Probably not, but added

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CGR going to two cars is now confirmed, and it looks like Helio has already started testing the Acura.

Gonna be weird not seeing him full time.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/detroit-grand-prix-needs-to-leave-belle-isle-say-park-activists

The parks department in Detroit are taking public opinions ahead of future negotiations on whether to renew the Indycar contract or not.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/local-news/detroit-grand-prix-needs-to-leave-belle-isle-say-park-activists

The parks department in Detroit are taking public opinions ahead of future negotiations on whether to renew the Indycar contract or not.

Sounds like the same group of rich fuckers that wanted to buy Belle Isle and make it a sovereign nation. Belle Isle is great and needs to have a race, not to mention you can literally see the GM Renaissance Center from the island so it's the perfect location for a race

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Bentai posted:

Good luck in trying to force the race out with GM and Penske at the helm of that race.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

KingShibby posted:

Sounds like the same group of rich fuckers that wanted to buy Belle Isle and make it a sovereign nation. Belle Isle is great and needs to have a race, not to mention you can literally see the GM Renaissance Center from the island so it's the perfect location for a race

The guy in the article has written a lot about how he doesn't like a public park being used for a private event. He's right, to be fair.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Peanut President posted:

The guy in the article has written a lot about how he doesn't like a public park being used for a private event. He's right, to be fair.

Private events use public parks / infrastructure all the time, though? Especially if they heavily fund improvements to said infrastructure.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Peanut President posted:

Well as long as the event makes money, the state will make money so I doubt our business-minded governor will change that :colbert:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

IOwnCalculus posted:

Private events use public parks / infrastructure all the time, though? Especially if they heavily fund improvements to said infrastructure.

I don't give a poo poo but if the taxpayers don't want their tax dollars going to a private thing that's their biz. If GM and Penske want a fancy road course in the Detroit metro they could just build one.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Peanut President posted:

I don't give a poo poo but if the taxpayers don't want their tax dollars going to a private thing that's their biz. If GM and Penske want a fancy road course in the Detroit metro they could just build one.

I'm sure the state makes some revenue for the use of the island, so it's not like it's a cost to the taxpayers. Holding it there is far less of a burden than doing it on city streets downtown

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.thedrive.com/start-finish/14521/indycars-2017-season-what-the-series-needed-to-take-on-the-world

quote:

The 2017 IndyCar season is over. American Josef Newgarden has been crowned the champion, and rightfully so. It was an amazing season. It was the season IndyCar needed to show the world that it's back and better than ever.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I mean, it's a solid article, but aside from Fernando versus Reubens, how is this a huge amount "better" than the last :911: champion in 2012? There were a lot of solid races in 2012, and RHR put together a hell of a drive in the last two races to pull off a come-from-behind championship.

We also saw how "good" ICS was at promoting RHR as a champion, and again in 2014 and 2016 with RHR and Rossi as 500 champions.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yup. ICS only really cares about promoting Indy, seems it'll be up to Penske and JNew's sponsors to promote him properly. Oh well, at least Robin Miller is happy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Don't get me wrong, this was a Good Season of Indycar. But that article acts like 2017 was massively better than any other DW12 year, and I'd argue they've all been solid as hell. 2017 had Fernando at Indy, Sato winning the 500, helmet cams, and a lot of eligible drivers to win the championship in the last race... but no real threat from any of them at any point during the last race, except SiPag. And all Josef really had to do on that last stint was not wreck, there was no way anyone was going to catch him and pass him to get Simon enough points.

2012 had Reubens all year and Alesi at Indy (...in a Lotus), Simona (also in a Lotus), Sato nearlywinning the 500, the DW12 as a brand new car, and fewer title contenders but a better race at Fontana.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

I'd say 2012-2014 were the best years for the dw-12. I can't think of a bad race from that time.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I hope the new kits provide the same good racing.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Also, Belli more or less admitted the rear wheel boxes didn't do their job.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No surprise there. Most, if not all, of the teams agreed with that.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Human Grand Prix posted:

Also, Belli more or less admitted the rear wheel boxes didn't do their job.

Servia and Montoya both bitched the aero was pushing weight behind the tires so it was snap pushing the cars. Same interview both of them were like holy poo poo this car you can put the nose to the gearbox in the turns and that crappy snap push was gone.

The lovely thing is we got 6 loving months until we can see them racing.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/144459-racer-video-michael-shank-on-2018-plans
TLDR: Michael Shank is close to having a full season entry for next season, "worst case scenario" Shank is back only for the 500.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

dentist toy box posted:

I'd say 2012-2014 were the best years for the dw-12. I can't think of a bad race from that time.

I really enjoyed 2013 aside from Dario's wreck. Sao Paulo and Fontana in particular were bonkers, and the 500 was my all time favorite.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Juncos and Carlin are really starting to hint that they're going to be in next year too.

e: ok, Carlin has for a while.

iospace fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 25, 2017

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
It's looking like we're going to have a really healthy field next year. Maybe as many as 25 full-time cars? I doubt we'll be in a bumping situation at Indy but I don't think there will be as a massive struggle to find 33 entries for the 102nd 500.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

WindyMan posted:

It's looking like we're going to have a really healthy field next year. Maybe as many as 25 full-time cars? I doubt we'll be in a bumping situation at Indy but I don't think there will be as a massive struggle to find 33 entries for the 102nd 500.

I hope to the gods someone gives Stefan Wilson a ride for it next year.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

iospace posted:

I hope to the gods someone gives Stefan Wilson a ride for it next year.

Wasn't it agreed upon with Andretti he'll have a car ready for him since Alonso took his seat for obvious reasons.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

BMB5150 posted:

Wasn't it agreed upon with Andretti he'll have a car ready for him since Alonso took his seat for obvious reasons.

IMS directly pays for Stefan Wilson's ride for the 500, my guess is that since he sat out this year he'll get to do the Indy GP along with the 500. I'm willing to bet if he could pull in a decent sponsor that he could get a full season ride

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

WindyMan posted:

I'm trying not to get too optimistic, ganassi and Penske cutting 3 cars between em sucks, but it does sound pretty positive for fresh teams and team owners. Harding, Juncos, Carlin, and maybe Shank next year... that's the sort of fresh blood the series needs. Even if they are fighting for 21st, it will be cool to see new faces fighting.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Any word on Mexico City? I know they wanted to get it ironed out quickly after Sonoma, but the fact that they're taking a while on it makes me wonder if A. just a matter of the small details, or B. stalled and they're trying to sweep it under the rug.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ganassi and Penske cutting cars isn't great but at the same time is probably not a good idea to have 3 teams make up nearly 50% of the grid.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

iospace posted:

Any word on Mexico City? I know they wanted to get it ironed out quickly after Sonoma, but the fact that they're taking a while on it makes me wonder if A. just a matter of the small details, or B. stalled and they're trying to sweep it under the rug.

I'm sure it's still being finalized, it's why the 2018 schedule hasn't been released yet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

Ganassi and Penske cutting cars isn't great but at the same time is probably not a good idea to have 3 teams make up nearly 50% of the grid.

Agreed. The series is healthier with both larger car counts and larger team counts. Penske and Ganassi have both historically been 2-3 car teams. I'd argue that at least this year it didn't hamper Penske at all, but CGR was clearly having some issues getting all four cars on the same page. Andretti Autosport is pretty much the only team with a longstanding run of 3+ fulltime cars, with most of that time at 4 cars.

tupacalypse
Jan 1, 2013

by Pragmatica
ICS needs to bring back fontana before adding mexico city.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

iospace posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the earthquake meant ironing out the details is going a little more slowly than any of the parties could have previously predicted.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, that's probably right.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

tupacalypse posted:

ICS needs to bring back fontana before adding mexico city.

Okay but what if Fontana is incredibly strict with their requests (season finale or GTFO) while Mexico City/elsewhere in Mexico there's a promoter in place, with money, and there are driver(s) who could lock down sponsorship and support for these new teams based on that race?

Yeah. Priorities. And this is Mexico, where they've raced before, not some mythical street race in a second-tier Chinese city or some such.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I wouldn't mind Fontana as the season ender anythings better than Sonoma which should have a place on the calendar but its not a great track for a finale.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

The Croc posted:

I wouldn't mind Fontana as the season ender anythings better than Sonoma which should have a place on the calendar but its not a great track for a finale.

I'd say do Sonoma same place, but add Mexico after that to early to mid October, then finale at California in late October, early November. Dodge the ugly summers both have and for California do it a Saturday night where we won't be waiting til 9 pm for sundown in the summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spencer Pigot and Scott Dixon will be part of the Sebring test.

Also delivery of the new kits is slated to be done by Jan 8th in time for some private testing.

• Locked thread