Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fog boar
Sep 14, 2017

For people interested in my 4e Remix project, check your PMs or discord.

edit: vvv Oh, yeah, this is typed up in monospaced UTF-8 with unix-style line ending (LF) if that helps.

fog boar fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Thanks for this! I'm starting to have a look through it now.

Was about to be all "this is hosed up" then realised using notepad is dumb and doesn't keep any formatting. Notepad++ is the way to go

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I'm 100% behind being PMd this 4e remix project

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Same. I feel like at this point, you might as well link a Google Doc in the thread.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Mendrian posted:

I mean if it were me I'd just play a melee-ranged sorcerer, take all fire attacks, and describe all my Flame Spirals as a whirling dervish of burning blades. But it can be real hard for a new player to wrap their head around that.

To be fair, a more narrative thought approach to character creation (that is to say, start with fluff and find appropriate mechanics), while fantastic for any game, is something D&D typically tends to try to viciously stamp out as hard as possible. If they have only played 5e, they probably immediately settled on "I want to be a capital F Fighter" before even knowing how the classes play because they're so used to so much mandated fluff. Simulationism is a disease.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

Simulationism is a disease.

so if i inject simulationism into my blood in minute quantities i can protect myself against it?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
Could an infernal hexblade not do a fiery fighter pretty well (if boringly)? Retheme it to be alchemical, give him the temp hp as a result of getting high on high own supply of jet fuel, etc etc.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

NachtSieger posted:

so if i inject simulationism into my blood in minute quantities i can protect myself against it?

That would depend on whether you have an adaptive immune system. Are you considered a mammal?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ProfessorCirno posted:

To be fair, a more narrative thought approach to character creation (that is to say, start with fluff and find appropriate mechanics), while fantastic for any game, is something D&D typically tends to try to viciously stamp out as hard as possible. If they have only played 5e, they probably immediately settled on "I want to be a capital F Fighter" before even knowing how the classes play because they're so used to so much mandated fluff. Simulationism is a disease.
I once got into a lengthy argument with a guy who wanted to play a lightly armored two-weapon fighter and was super mad that 4e would not let him do this.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Halloween Jack posted:

I once got into a lengthy argument with a guy who wanted to play a lightly armored two-weapon fighter and was super mad that 4e would not let him do this.
Now there's the Tempest, at least.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

Isn't that just a Ranger?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
No it's a FIGHTER, it needs to say "Fighter" on my sheet or it doesn't count. I can't believe how inflexible this system is.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Countblanc posted:

No it's a FIGHTER, it needs to say "Fighter" on my sheet or it doesn't count. I can't believe how inflexible this system is.

Then write fighter on your sheet, see look, put a comma after your character name, Emo-man Darkbladier, and write, "the Fighter," next to it.

Now you are "Emo-man Darkbladier, the Fighter"

Now it says fighter on your character sheet

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 22, 2017

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, there's, like... four or five different classes/archetypes that do "lightly armoured two-weapon fighter", two of which are part of the fighter class. Admittedly, the ranger was the only one that existed when the game launched.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

The Crotch posted:

Yeah, there's, like... four or five different classes/archetypes that do "lightly armoured two-weapon fighter", two of which are part of the fighter class. Admittedly, the ranger was the only one that existed when the game launched.

Yeah.......its one of those things that always bugs me.....and from his response bugs Countblanc as well, the fact that some people, who play a game of make believe with dice have such poo poo imaginations that if the words on the a page that is there pretty much to tell you what dice to roll doesn't literally spell out what a person is they can't pretend to be that thing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Imagination is no match for pure unfiltered :spergin:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i had hoped that it was clear my post was parody

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Countblanc posted:

i had hoped that it was clear my post was parody

Humor....on the Internet!?!?!? :monocle:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Halloween Jack posted:

4e does let him do this right out of the corebook, though. You just make a fighter, give them two weapons, and give them light armor.

Oh, are you complaining about your AC now? What are you, a powergamer?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Ferrinus posted:

4e does let him do this right out of the corebook, though. You just make a fighter, give them two weapons, and give them light armor.

Oh, are you complaining about your AC now? What are you, a powergamer?

Roleplaying a lovely character means you're better than people playing "optimized" characters, so you are the moral victor.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So on Wednesday we had what is probably the fourth to last "big" fight of the Zeitgeist campaign.

It was one of those ones that eats up the whole session because it's 30th level and there's all kinds of complex bad guys for me to track. And I was pretty sure we were on a direct road to a TPK.

But it was a blast. Tense, not a wasted turn, and a constant sense of danger. Even two would-be deaths if they weren't 30th level.

Anyway. Sometimes 3 hour combats can be awesome, is what I'm saying.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

NachtSieger posted:

I hate it as an approach to game design probably even more than Cirno does, but a roleplaying game with no resemblance to reality and zero reliance on players' understanding of how real things work would be pretty bizarre.

A little bit of "fire burns, swords cut, gravity makes you fall" goes an extremely long way towards making what would otherwise be pure game mechanics ("if you make this decision, this number goes down, and that number goes up") much easier to learn.

So, ironically, yes -- sort of.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

So we had an interesting thing come up during game today, and I'm needing to make a decision on how we deal with it.

A creature did a closeburst attack, critting two of three targets, and normally hitting the third. One of the targets that was Crit used "Firedeath"

As that's worded, would you consider the critical to deal maximum damage still, as per the Critical Hit rules
"Maximum Damage: When an attack scores a critical hit against a target, the target takes the maximum damage possible from the attack. Don't make a damage roll."
Or would you make it deal 1 for each dice + modifier damage?

The second question, is would you consider the damage to reduce all targets damage to the same reduced level? Or just all the crits?
Halp

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The crit rules say that you don't make a damage roll, so by RAW the player still takes full damage. If there's extra crit dice being rolled I'd say those get reduced to 1s though.

Whether the power should reduce damage for other players in the attack depends a little on how you roll damage, some groups roll separately per target and others roll once for everyone to save time. I'd allow players to reduce damage for others if it keeps things consistent, and promoting cooperation is always a good thing.

In your case, I would rule that Firedeath reduces damage for the non-crit player, but the others take full crit damage. You're allowed to bend things as you see fit, of course.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
A crit is still considered a damage roll, I'd say, because you still get all the damage bonuses you normally only get on damage rolls - weapon focus, etc. Saying that a crit isn't a damage roll has a bunch of weird downstream effects. The rules are literally just saying don't bother rolling the dice.

I'd just reduce the damage on all targets. It's an AoE (close burst), so all targets share one roll.

With that said, I could see it the other way around just about as well (reduce damage on everyone but the person crit), so I'd say pick one and stick with it.

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

isndl posted:

Whether the power should reduce damage for other players in the attack depends a little on how you roll damage, some groups roll separately per target and others roll once for everyone to save time.
dwarf74 mentioned it, but just to be clear: Burst/blast attacks have multiple attack rolls, but only ever one damage roll.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

A crit is still considered a damage roll, I'd say, because you still get all the damage bonuses you normally only get on damage rolls - weapon focus, etc. Saying that a crit isn't a damage roll has a bunch of weird downstream effects. The rules are literally just saying don't bother rolling the dice.

I'd just reduce the damage on all targets. It's an AoE (close burst), so all targets share one roll.
Don't forget the critical hit rule also says "Instead [of making a damage roll], the target takes damage as if the maximum result had been rolled for damage", which covers all those modifiers etc. So there is one single roll everyone shares, but it doesn't apply to the targets who ate a crit - their damage is calculated differently.

I think it's pretty clear. Targets A and B get critted, target C is hit. Target A uses Firedeath. All damage dice rolled for the attack are now 1, but no dice are actually rolled for A and B, only for C. A and B take maximum damage, C takes minimum damage. If there are any crit dice involved (like with a Balor's 72+3d10 on a crit), those do also get minimized.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

ImpactVector posted:

dwarf74 mentioned it, but just to be clear: Burst/blast attacks have multiple attack rolls, but only ever one damage roll.

Yeah, when I say 'some groups' I mean 'some tables'. It's like taking enemy turns as groups, it's a convenience thing and some tables play it the slower way for more granularity.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
What'd be a good class for a super mobile spear/lance character? thinking kinda like a dragoon from FF

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Spiteski posted:

So we had an interesting thing come up during game today, and I'm needing to make a decision on how we deal with it.

A creature did a closeburst attack, critting two of three targets, and normally hitting the third. One of the targets that was Crit used "Firedeath"

As that's worded, would you consider the critical to deal maximum damage still, as per the Critical Hit rules
"Maximum Damage: When an attack scores a critical hit against a target, the target takes the maximum damage possible from the attack. Don't make a damage roll."
Or would you make it deal 1 for each dice + modifier damage?

The second question, is would you consider the damage to reduce all targets damage to the same reduced level? Or just all the crits?
Halp

Damage for the guy who got critted isn't reduced unless there are crit dice in there, which are.

Damage for everyone else is.

Nalesh posted:

What'd be a good class for a super mobile spear/lance character? thinking kinda like a dragoon from FF

Slayer with Gouge Proficiency and Draeven Marauder.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Nalesh posted:

I feel like my first instinct would be some flavor of Fighter, but I could see Avenger or even Barbarian working reasonably well.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Either of those would do too.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Or a monk. Hard to beat them for mobility, and they get spears as implements.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Damage for the guy who got critted isn't reduced unless there are crit dice in there, which are.

Damage for everyone else is.

Yea we discussed it as a group after the session and have settled on this interpretation too.

Thanks evryone who gave feedback though.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Slayer is boring as all gently caress.

Do a Rageblood Barbarian with the Gouge and then MC Fighter for Draeven Marauder.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
It's loving hell when you find some character art you want but forgot to save

It was a pixie in some heavy rear end armor(At least plate, looked almost carapacy), with a rod skirt(pretty much a couple of rods hinged onto the armor to protect the legs slightly I guess?) wielding an energy tipped spear, legit starting to think I dreamt it up

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nalesh posted:

It's loving hell when you find some character art you want but forgot to save

It was a pixie in some heavy rear end armor(At least plate, looked almost carapacy), with a rod skirt(pretty much a couple of rods hinged onto the armor to protect the legs slightly I guess?) wielding an energy tipped spear, legit starting to think I dreamt it up
Try the Hot Modrons thread. There are people there with unreasonably huge archives of character art.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

What's the best way to get Zeitgeist stuff into the Offline Character builder?

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

There's a thread here thatin the last couple pages has a file that you can chuck in the documents>ddi folder and it'll work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Apropos of nothing, I just want to say again how much I like the Ruthless Ruffian rogue class feature from Martial Power, and every power created for said build. It's one of the most interesting and fun twists on a core class I've ever seen.