Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

Things have changed a bit since 1976. The 2008 Wenchuan earthquake was the last major one in China and the response to it was... fine? It was a huge disaster in a difficult to reach, very poor area and the Chinese government is incompetent, but considering all that they did okay. They initially rejected foreign aid but changed their minds pretty quick and got international rescue teams in from a bunch of neighboring countries. I also think the fact that Taiwan was the first country to offer aid was a factor in the immediate rejection.

my favorite part was when donating money became a face contest and CEOs had to start dumping billions of yuan to prove they werent bitches

and then im sure all of the money was used to help victims and reconstruct

theres a book discussing the earthquake online over at https://books.google.com/books?id=5aWDBQAAQBAJ that i havent read at all but might be fun for bored people to read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
The question still remains: Once the green revolution ends due to fossil fuel exhaustion, what happens to the 2 billion in China and India?

I mean, we all know the answer. But what contingencies do the richer members have to evacuate?

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Here's a good read on life in rural China. 75% don't graduate high school, there's double the normal rate of low intelligence children (because they're raised by the grandmothers ... but why, exactly?), most kids are malnourished, and only 5% of children are read to by their parents (as a teacher I can say that this is a big loving deal as early exposure to literacy is a major indicator of future academic success to say the least). Fascinating read all around.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/09/one-three-chinese-children-faces-education-apocalypse-ambitious-experiment-hopes-save

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
So about donations, it's basically a legal way to give bribes or squeeze business leaders. everyone wants to be the last person to donate money.

That way the donors just need to give as little as possible to satisfy the donation or bribery amount

Source : business leaders talking about floods and natural disasters back in the 80s

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
hongkong.jpg
https://twitter.com/alicemuwu/status/911471067281072128

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Imperialist Dog posted:

(because they're raised by the grandmothers ... but why, exactly?)

Because their parents are away working in factories.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Imperialist Dog posted:

Here's a good read on life in rural China. 75% don't graduate high school, there's double the normal rate of low intelligence children (because they're raised by the grandmothers ... but why, exactly?), most kids are malnourished, and only 5% of children are read to by their parents (as a teacher I can say that this is a big loving deal as early exposure to literacy is a major indicator of future academic success to say the least). Fascinating read all around.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2017/09/one-three-chinese-children-faces-education-apocalypse-ambitious-experiment-hopes-save

Thank you for posting this.

I saw a lot of poor nutrition and its effects on my tuhao high school students- I can't imagine how hard life is for a poor kid in rural China.

E: why aren't the kids being raised by grandparents developing? Is it because they are largely ignored? Gee.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 23, 2017

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

E: why aren't the kids being raised by grandparents developing? Is it because they are largely ignored? Gee.
You're so judgmental. Mahjong doesn't play itself, you know?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

HerStuddMuffin posted:

You're so judgmental. Mahjong doesn't play itself, you know?

I BET there's an app for that.

Bajaj
Sep 13, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Thank you for posting this.

I saw a lot of poor nutrition and its effects on my tuhao high school students- I can't imagine how hard life is for a poor kid in rural China.

I'm the sickly pale 22-year-old super-fivehead girl with anemia that thinks starving herself is the only valid way to "keep slim."

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Bajaj posted:

I'm the sickly pale 22-year-old super-fivehead girl with anemia that thinks starving herself is the only valid way to "keep slim."

Also, don't ever drink water.

Last year all the freshman girls were complaining to me that their hair started falling out once they started at our school. They always break out horribly, too. I have eaten in that cafeteria and I can't say I blame them for subsisting on cup noodles and candy, but if I told them to eat a piece of fruit, they were always like "Naaaaahhhh."

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

if I told them to eat a piece of fruit, they were always like "Naaaaahhhh."

tbf, I imagine eating fruit in china is like eating a lead battery

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

quote:

Many rural parents leave kids in the care of grandparents. The result, according to a team of economists: the intellectual stunting of roughly one-third of China's population.

glad I was sitting down for that one, whew

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Just found out a high school friend of mine is working as a freshman year college English teacher in Shanghai. I have many questions.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

I got this from a GiP thread, please tell me it's fake.

Waroduce posted:

This is probably pretty common for you guys but this is the first time ive seen something like this....

https://i.imgur.com/IgLs36s.gifv

like conceptually i know the technology exists and the military uses it but seeing it just on a public street is interesting

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
https://twitter.com/blackout_drunk/status/911259597532475392

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

School Nickname posted:

Completely real. Mainland is biiiiig on facial recognition and CV to log everything happening everywhere.

chinese hair cave
Aug 23, 2017

by Cyrano4747
So, my workplace admins have caught pacific fever and want me to go to Shanghai to meet some clients and score some clients.

Here’s the thing though. I’m trans.

What should I expect from glorious chinar? I’m going to go stealth and not say anything but I think some dumbass in my company is gonna say something.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

\

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Because their parents are away working in factories.

No, I mean what exactly are the grandmothers doing that would result in a doubling of the low Intelligence population? It's one of the questions the article poses as a focus for their research project. Anyway, try our latest CCP app.

https://twitter.com/Yaqiu/status/910993510278533121

Barudak
May 7, 2007

School Nickname posted:

You know there is a free app you can download right now in the states that detects all signals around you in 3d space and if Im an advertiser I can py to match them to you, a person. I dont even need to be able to see your face.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Barudak posted:

You know there is a free app you can download right now in the states that detects all signals around you in 3d space and if Im an advertiser I can py to match them to you, a person. I dont even need to be able to see your face.

Yeah, but future!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

TTerrible posted:

Completely real. Mainland is biiiiig on facial recognition and CV to log everything happening everywhere.

Time for http://cvdazzle.com/ ?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
That works right up until you realise who you are frustrating with your non compliance, I guess.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

TTerrible posted:

That works right up until you realise who you are frustrating with your non compliance, I guess.

anything to hasten the cyberpunk future, chummer

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Imperialist Dog posted:

No, I mean what exactly are the grandmothers doing that would result in a doubling of the low Intelligence population? It's one of the questions the article poses as a focus for their research project. Anyway, try our latest CCP app.

Time for another Chinese Grandparents post.

Chinese grandparents care about their grandchildren to the extent that their family name will go on, and that they can show off cute pictures to their friends. When they end up raising them (which most are not thrilled to do, but they have to because their kids are working in factories in the city to pay for their retirement), they do a number of things that drastically (detrimentally) impact their grandkid's physical and mental development.

Feeding: They will do whatever they can to get the child full and sleepy so they can continue playing Mahjong. This includes overfeeding, giving them water, and anything else that will fill their bellies. They will stuff the kids, never burp them, and then swaddle them like a burrito so they can't move, and leave them on a bed or sofa while they go to play cards. Children will throw up their food, not getting the required nutrition, and cry themselves hoarse, burning tons of calories and causing themselves stress. When they have a belly full of water, they think they are full, but again, they are not getting the nutrition they require. Another issue is with formula. Not the melamine scandals that happened a few years ago, but people buying cheap stuff that barely has enough nutritional value to allow a baby to survive. If grandma is feeling cheap, maybe she adds too much water to stretch it out for an additional week. Finally, if they are using filthy bottles and not cleaning them properly, the baby can get sick and might suffer from Diarrhea, if left unchecked, it could result in dehydration which I will touch on later. Also, if you're giving kids garbage-tier formula that is lacking in nutrition, then they are not getting the vitamins, minerals, and proteins needed for proper brain development.

Healthcare: They will drastically overdress the children so that they are prepared for a -30 blizzard when it's still +27 outside. Kids will overheat, sweat too much, and if grandma is a little slow feeding them, they might get dehydrated with is a huge issue. When I read IEP records of special needs students here in Canada, dehydration during infancy is actually somewhat common and is a huge indicator of trouble on the way. Also you have kids who are sneezing because grandpa is blowing enough smoke in the apartment to make the air blue, so naturally baby must be cold. . . "no wait! Baby has a cold!" Better take it to the local TCM quack to have it filled with more heavy metal and sketchy antibiotics. If grandma is a frugal gal, maybe she will just put some of her leftover pills in baby's formula and save a trip to the doctor.

Physical Contact/Interaction: Babies who don't get enough physical contact or enough interaction can have stunted social and cognitive development. Grandparents are likely to put on a show when people are over, but 99% of baby's time will be "alone time". "Feed/Change him/her fast so we can get back to Mahjong". Babies need actual interaction with a caregiver to help them develop. Physical contact is very important, but also meaningful interactions are also needed to foster proper development. Letting baby have tummy time, listening to music, moving their joints, looking around, getting fresh air, seeing new colours, hearing new sounds, feeling new textures are all very important. If all the baby does is lay on a bed waiting for someone to feed it, then it's already starting off with a handicap compared to babies who have parents who are actually parenting.

Education: Grandparents in the rural areas don't have money. School isn't free, so if they can get away with not sending the little one to classes while mom and dad are away, then they have more money to spend on stupid poo poo like hair dye and smokes. The number of 5-8 year olds I have seen bored out of their skulls, just sitting and languishing in those little courtyards or tagging behind the grandparents at the market during school days is pretty bad. I've had people tell me that they have had their parents (grandparents) hide the fact that their sons or daughters were not going to school, and the money they were sending back to their village to educate their kids was going straight to the corner store or the Mahjong pot. One lady had to enroll her kid in a school in the city that she really couldn't afford, because her spies back home said that her parents were just locking her daughter in the back yard while they did their "Old Chinese people poo poo" all day.

Long story short, "Kill all the old people."

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blistex posted:

Chinese grandparents care about their grandchildren to the extent that their family name will go on, and that they can show off cute pictures to their friends. When they end up raising them (which most are not thrilled to do, but they have to because their kids are working in factories in the city to pay for their retirement), they do a number of things that drastically (detrimentally) impact their grandkid's physical and mental development.

Feeding: They will do whatever they can to get the child full and sleepy so they can continue playing Mahjong. This includes overfeeding, giving them water, and anything else that will fill their bellies. They will stuff the kids, never burp them, and then swaddle them like a burrito so they can't move, and leave them on a bed or sofa while they go to play cards. Children will throw up their food, not getting the required nutrition, and cry themselves hoarse, burning tons of calories and causing themselves stress. When they have a belly full of water, they think they are full, but again, they are not getting the nutrition they require. Another issue is with formula. Not the melamine scandals that happened a few years ago, but people buying cheap stuff that barely has enough nutritional value to allow a baby to survive. If grandma is feeling cheap, maybe she adds too much water to stretch it out for an additional week. Finally, if they are using filthy bottles and not cleaning them properly, the baby can get sick and might suffer from Diarrhea, if left unchecked, it could result in dehydration which I will touch on later. Also, if you're giving kids garbage-tier formula that is lacking in nutrition, then they are not getting the vitamins, minerals, and proteins needed for proper brain development.

Healthcare: They will drastically overdress the children so that they are prepared for a -30 blizzard when it's still +27 outside. Kids will overheat, sweat too much, and if grandma is a little slow feeding them, they might get dehydrated with is a huge issue. When I read IEP records of special needs students here in Canada, dehydration during infancy is actually somewhat common and is a huge indicator of trouble on the way. Also you have kids who are sneezing because grandpa is blowing enough smoke in the apartment to make the air blue, so naturally baby must be cold. . . "no wait! Baby has a cold!" Better take it to the local TCM quack to have it filled with more heavy metal and sketchy antibiotics. If grandma is a frugal gal, maybe she will just put some of her leftover pills in baby's formula and save a trip to the doctor.

Physical Contact/Interaction: Babies who don't get enough physical contact or enough interaction can have stunted social and cognitive development. Grandparents are likely to put on a show when people are over, but 99% of baby's time will be "alone time". "Feed/Change him/her fast so we can get back to Mahjong". Babies need actual interaction with a caregiver to help them develop. Physical contact is very important, but also meaningful interactions are also needed to foster proper development. Letting baby have tummy time, listening to music, moving their joints, looking around, getting fresh air, seeing new colours, hearing new sounds, feeling new textures are all very important. If all the baby does is lay on a bed waiting for someone to feed it, then it's already starting off with a handicap compared to babies who have parents who are actually parenting.

Education: Grandparents in the rural areas don't have money. School isn't free, so if they can get away with not sending the little one to classes while mom and dad are away, then they have more money to spend on stupid poo poo like hair dye and smokes. The number of 5-8 year olds I have seen bored out of their skulls, just sitting and languishing in those little courtyards or tagging behind the grandparents at the market during school days is pretty bad. I've had people tell me that they have had their parents (grandparents) hide the fact that their sons or daughters were not going to school, and the money they were sending back to their village to educate their kids was going straight to the corner store or the Mahjong pot. One lady had to enroll her kid in a school in the city that she really couldn't afford, because her spies back home said that her parents were just locking her daughter in the back yard while they did their "Old Chinese people poo poo" all day.

lol a gentle reminder is that china is filled with grandparents pushing their children to get married so the grandparents can raise the children and the adults can continue working

when I say something like "the culture is broken at the absolute fundamental level", this isn't me being racist, this is me assuming you understanding a post like this and realizing how utterly hosed modern china is right now

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
it will sound incredibly lovely, but after living seven plus years in china, I am really glad I did not marry a Chinese girl

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

chinese hair cave posted:

So, my workplace admins have caught pacific fever and want me to go to Shanghai to meet some clients and score some clients.

Here’s the thing though. I’m trans.

What should I expect from glorious chinar? I’m going to go stealth and not say anything but I think some dumbass in my company is gonna say something.

Be proactive. Tell everyone you're traveling with/your office in general/HR that you don't want anyone talking about the subject. It would be kind of weird and unprofessional for it to come up, anyways.

I don't know how familiar the average Chinese person is with trans stuff, to be honest. In Shanghai, things will likely be different from my experience in China. I agree that stealth is probably the easiest strategy, though.

e:

Blistex posted:

Death by Popo

Thanks, this is a great post.

Fleta Mcgurn fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 24, 2017

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Great Autismo! posted:

it will sound incredibly lovely, but after living seven plus years in china, I am really glad I did not marry a Chinese girl

I am incredibly blessed that my inlaws are the exact polar opposite of every mainland Chinese grandparent I have ever encountered or heard about.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

The Great Autismo! posted:

when I say something like "the culture is broken at the absolute fundamental level", this isn't me being racist, this is me assuming you understanding a post like this and realizing how utterly hosed modern china is right now

Pretty much. My initial reaction was a subdued Jesus loving Christ.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

anything to hasten the cyberpunk future, chummer

I have stocked up on spam, neon hair dye and skateboards. I am ready.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
I chose to dump a Chinese girl and get with a Korean because of this thread so uhh, thanks I guess?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

TsarZiedonis posted:

I chose to dump a Chinese girl and get with a Korean because of this thread so uhh, thanks I guess?

Lol that's not much a trade unless she's an exepction to their usual craziness or a chill gyopo

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
She's a weirdo foreigner lover and mostly dislikes Korea except for the times when she really, really loves it.

People are complex, I guess

Also lol dude, gyopos are often so not chill, they're just not chill in regular American ways that were already used to.

Heer98 fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 24, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Blistex posted:

it's insanely funny to me to hear about the 'tiger mothers' that push their kids so hard to achieve. you hear so much about this is why china is going to beat the united states because this is the NORM for their country. then someone actually goes through the sociological data and can actually show that not only is this not correct, the reality is almost the exact opposite where an entire class of chinese kids are raised to be nonfunctional Huxleylike Epsilons from the word go, you're the racist for bringing it up because ???????

then you're a double racist when you point out the kids of tiger moms tend to kill themselves either literally or figuratively with drugs and alcohol because as it turns out emotionally torturing your children because they didn't get some arbitrary score on a test isn't a great way to prepare them for living.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

TsarZiedonis posted:

Also lol dude, gyopos are often so not chill, they're just not chill in regular American ways that were already used to.

I know a chill gyopo who loathes other gyopos for their unchillness.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It took me a while to crack The Gyopo Code but I will share the secret:

LA gyopos are The Worst. Non-Californian gyopos are fine. Why, I am not sure, but my working theory is the LA Koreatown population is so big it's easy to be 100% isolated in this weird separate Korean world, but Korean populations elsewhere are not big enough to allow an entire parallel society. They certainly try though. I spent 25 years in my hometown and never realized until I came back to visit that it has a Koreatown and entire isolated Korean neighborhood where you don't hear a word of English anywhere.

There also seems to be a similar rule with California Chinese vs rest of America Chinese.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Sep 24, 2017

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Blistex posted:

chinese grandparents being poison to children bothered me in the big cities too; the parents coming home in the evenings seems like the only thing that saves the kids from being completely ruined. Grandparents treat raising the grandkid they way youd treat feeding a neighbors dog while theyre out of town

Like I never see grandparents educating/playing with the kids when they go outside. It's a lot of ignoring them while they wander around and then slapping their face when they do something wrong. If you watch those security cam videos for news stories where chinese children die, the vast majority of the time it's because grandma is staring at a wall while the kid falls into some machinery (a distant second is leaving the kids to play on the street outside of the small shop the parents work at) and getting run over

so yeah instead of the one-child policy the govt should have had some rule about euthanizing people on their 55th birthday.

Edit: I'm at that age where most of my friends/colleagues on Weixin have children ranging from newborn to 6 years of age. Out of all of those kids, only one of them really has a strong, happy and healthy personality where she's always asking questions about the world or 'saying the darndest things' (she's 5-6). The big difference between her and those other kids is that her parents (especially dad) is CONSTANTLY spending time with her and taking her places after work and on weekends. They'll go hiking together, do those group arts/crafts classes, they'll chat about some show she's watching on a tablet (actually discuss it), stuff like that.

I mean there are 1-2 others that also seem like theyre getting a good start, but it really shows how important it is to loving talk to your kids while they experience things

LentThem fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 24, 2017

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.engadget.com/2017/09/22/brave-volunteer-robot-dental-surgery/

quote:

A robot just implanted two 3D-printed teeth into a woman's mouth all on its own. The procedure took place recently in China and the researchers who developed it hope it can help the country's dentist shortage problem, reports the South China Morning Post.

Prior to the surgery, the robot was oriented to the patient's head and mouth and researchers then programmed the device with all of the necessary information for it to complete the procedure. That included the angles and depth required for accurate placement of the implants. After testing the programmed movements, the operation was carried out. It took about an hour and though medical staff were present during the procedure, none of them assisted the robot while it worked. Afterwards, the staff determined that the robot had implanted the teeth with high precision.

Due to a dentist shortage, South China Morning Post reports that while around 400 million people need dental implants in the country, only about one million are done each year. Further, when people turn to less qualified individuals in order to get needed dental work done, they often end up with additional problems. Robots stand to increase service rates and complete operations with fewer errors.

I'm not sure what's scarier -- a human dentist or a robot dentist. But you can check out the video below for some shots of the robot in action.

it has a cool video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
That's seriously one of the most horrifying things that I've seen lately. Is that robot chinese made, running on chinese software?

• Locked thread