Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Selachian posted:

Yeah, I posted it earlier in this thread -- Everett beats up a black waiter who he thinks is acting snide because of Jack Johnson's win, and mentions having to clobber some other "dark brothers" who have been giving him attitude since the match.

Wow. There's a lot to unpack there and I"m sure I don't know any of the context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jack Johnson was World Heavyweight Champion from 1908 to 1915, and had the gall to have pride in being black too. It's hard to understate how much white people hated him and his success.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kavak posted:

Jack Johnson was World Heavyweight Champion from 1908 to 1915, and had the gall to have pride in being black too. It's hard to understate how much white people hated him and his success.

Everett seems to be parrotting the New York Times:

quote:

If the black man wins, thousands and thousands of his ignorant brothers will misinterpret his victory as justifying claims to much more than mere physical equality with their white neighbors

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

...and the pitch! posted:

Wow. There's a lot to unpack there and I"m sure I don't know any of the context.

Kavak posted:

There were race riots in 50 cities after the Johnson-Jeffries fight, and the blowback against the film of it was a ban on distribution of prizefight films across state lines that lasted for almost three decades...just in case.

Comics Kingdom is busted for me this morning, so this is all you get.

Skippy (July 25-26, 1930)

Peanuts (September 25-26, 1970)

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (October 27-November 1, 1930)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

In addition to what the others have said, the Johnson-Jeffries fight was very much seen as a referendum on race relations, much like the Billie Jean King-Bobby Riggs match was for feminism. That was a time when blacks and whites didn't normally fight -- Jeffries originally retired rather than face Johnson.

If you're interested in learning more, Ken Burns did a documentary on Johnson called Unforgivable Blackness that's quite good.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

After the second-punchiest white guy on the planet got beaten, Everett found it irritating to constantly have to defend his #1 title

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

I'll admit it, I liked today's comic.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2003 Spiderman

The Amazing Kala

Nancy

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Selachian posted:

In addition to what the others have said, the Johnson-Jeffries fight was very much seen as a referendum on race relations, much like the Billie Jean King-Bobby Riggs match was for feminism. That was a time when blacks and whites didn't normally fight -- Jeffries originally retired rather than face Johnson.

If you're interested in learning more, Ken Burns did a documentary on Johnson called Unforgivable Blackness that's quite good.

I'll have to give it a whirl. Lot of good information you folks gave me. Thanks!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'd say go Tiff but there's probably a boy in there. A bad boy.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

loving good. This is the right response to these assholes. I;m sure this is supposed to make Tiffany look like the bad guy again, though.

Comics Kingdom is weird today so no Baby Blues or Curtis for now.

BC

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Baldo

Wiz of Id

Big Nate

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

:3:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
And now, the rest...

Sally Forth

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Thimble Theater (April 13-14, 1931)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh! His thinner black stripes make it look like he's balding! That's what it looks like it was driving me crazy

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
It has this weird 3d effect going on now. Like it's computer drawn

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's perfectly consistent. Too regular.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

As someone who posts (and genuinely likes) Garfield from 30 years ago, I feel like the difference in the art style is pretty much analogous to the way classic Simpsons animation style differs from modern Simpsons. It's way cleaner, the line weights are lighter and all uniform, and it just feels machine-made. The absence of screentone shading (those layers of dots comics used to use to add texture) kinda sucks, too.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Dustin

Mandrake

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

As someone who posts (and genuinely likes) Garfield from 30 years ago, I feel like the difference in the art style is pretty much analogous to the way classic Simpsons animation style differs from modern Simpsons. It's way cleaner, the line weights are lighter and all uniform, and it just feels machine-made. The absence of screentone shading (those layers of dots comics used to use to add texture) kinda sucks, too.

So, empty, soul less and devoid of any real meaning?

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell Oh yay, a urine based strip today

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Old New Yorker Cartoons

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set doesn't like to waste food.

Working Daze actually managed to almost not oversell the joke!

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is a hero I can get behind.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

He drew Edda's tongue. Just in case you didn't get that they're gonna fuuuuuuuuuck.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

The difference really couldn't be more stark, could it?

King Aroo (April 24, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (February 8, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (March 7, 1924)

Lil' Abner (November 6, 1937)

Barney Google (March 10, 1923)

Alley Oop (June 9, 1934)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

He drew Edda's tongue. Just in case you didn't get that they're gonna fuuuuuuuuuck.

I know I said this once before, but good God the way Brooke draws almost-kissing mouths with the tongues hanging out really does gross me out.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

random Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Intelligent Life is doing its best to compete with Luann for the "everyone dunking on the designated good guys are actually 100% right" trophy.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
https://twitter.com/bransonreese/status/911802468593528832

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Who cares if he has bad breath? They don't kiss in this totally serious relationship.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Evil Mastermind posted:

I know I said this once before, but good God the way Brooke draws almost-kissing mouths with the tongues hanging out really does gross me out.

I do not know what is broken within me, but Brooke just doesn't OFFEND me. It's boring.ugly, garbage, but it just doesnt offend.
Holbrook? He offends me on a near daily basis that Brooke WISHES he could reach.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

:magical:

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Winsor McCay Comic Strip(click for huge)

And He Did. (February, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (April, 1917)

Doings of the Duffs. (January, 1919, click for big)

Fritzi Ritz (click for big)

The Gay Thirties (December, 1935, click for big))

They'll Do It Every Time (December, 1940, click for big)

Dick Tracy (April, 1941, click for big)

Mopsy (May, 1941)

Archie (May, 1956, click for big)

Marmaduke (August, 1959)

And He Died. (September 1970, click for big)

Feiffer (1975, click for big)

Andy Capp (February, 1972, click for big)

Wee Pals (April, 1972, click for big)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Haifisch posted:

2003 Spiderman
I would love to see a Spider-Man arc where this just kept happening for real. Every time he tries to stop a crime some other super hero comes along and does it quicker and better.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dustin

why are plain females always so jealous of attractive females

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Tracksuit

Mother From Another Country

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Given how crazy Koreans are when it comes to drugs, I'm guessing "stash" here means money?

Also:

• Locked thread