Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

not sure how much I like firion bsb or marach usb or curilla usb, but I am sure liking having Squall BSB2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Just saw my 1/11 Jecht OSB in my inventory and got salty all over again. Who came up with this gigantic turd? A ranged weapon that only like 5 people in the entire game can even use, with a synergy-only elemental boost, so it's a 100% useless stat stick. Then the OSB itself is probably the worst one in the entire game, doing absolute trash damage unless you fill up your entire SB gauge first, which then makes every subsequent use much weaker.

Like, this thing won't even be useful for CMs for me. I don't think I would have payed even 1 mythril for it, let alone 25.

Fingers crossed for these banners and 30 draw, it's been a really long time since I've gotten a god draw and this would be the time for it.

dont worry i got the same thing + kuja's osb, who I have nothing for. and a bunch of my latest 5's have been jecht's lovely old weapons. Real jealous everyone is getting USB's

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Completed my first Jumpstart very easily. Don't know if it was an easy one or because of the synergy, 3 FFT characters (Cid, Ovelia, Ramza) everyone with FFT gear except for accessories. Forgot to set RMs too! :v:

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Completed my first Jumpstart very easily. Don't know if it was an easy one or because of the synergy, 3 FFT characters (Cid, Ovelia, Ramza) everyone with FFT gear except for accessories. Forgot to set RMs too! :v:

The HP totals for T were straight up erroneously low but congrats all the same. The reality is future events will be harder but Jump Starts are usually very doable if you have decent tools.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

I do have Raines BSB. I'll need to check its coefficients later to see if it is any good.

The coefficients aren't what make it good. The entry gives the party +MAG/DEF, his CMD2 gives him +MAG/-RES (so just with his own buffs his MAG gets doubled), and his CMD1 grants him instant cast 1. Raines BSB was a serious chase relic when it first came out, and it's still ridiculously good.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

LornMarkus posted:

The HP totals for T were straight up erroneously low but congrats all the same. The reality is future events will be harder but Jump Starts are usually very doable if you have decent tools.

I'm not gonna complain about the HP totals it's nice to get a victory after so many failures from past events.

Edit: wait are you saying HP totals were low for all the T bosses?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, every single one. It's like someone didn't get the memo that the fights were all "kill the main guy to win". Pretty sure you can beat the A+ fight with just a Thunder God RW.

e: just checked, he has 250k HP so you need a little more than just two shots of TG, but not much.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Fister Roboto posted:

The coefficients aren't what make it good. The entry gives the party +MAG/DEF, his CMD2 gives him +MAG/-RES (so just with his own buffs his MAG gets doubled), and his CMD1 grants him instant cast 1. Raines BSB was a serious chase relic when it first came out, and it's still ridiculously good.

Don't forget Raines has Memento Mori, so between that and BSB he can hit the Mag buff soft-cap (x2.5) on his own. And from there only needs like 418 Mag to hit that soft-cap with all those buffs.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

why the gently caress do I even play this game

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh, I know Raines is amazing. I meant CoD's BSB. I'm wary that it might end up being used only for the entry, at which point it is a glorified SSB. Lacking non-elemental can be an awful drawback.

Edit: It looks good enough. I'd just need Nabaat BSB to round them out with an imperil.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Sep 24, 2017

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."

Attestant posted:

At least it wasn't a dupe? :v:?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

ceaselessfuture posted:

The debuffs even stack!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

ceaselessfuture posted:

one was

the other is still useless crap

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
o...oh

jjef
Jul 25, 2008
Hey guys, is now a good time to jump into this game or should I wait for a specific upcoming event or something? Also, is there any re-rolling involved when starting like in other games? Or can I just take whatever I'm given and go with it?

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

jjef posted:

Hey guys, is now a good time to jump into this game or should I wait for a specific upcoming event or something? Also, is there any re-rolling involved when starting like in other games? Or can I just take whatever I'm given and go with it?

Right now is a great time! Tomorrow evening we will be getting a free 30 pull, and I would highly, highly recommend trying to get 25 mythril before the "Always Lucky Relic Draw" banner today goes away! It should be pretty easy if you watch your stamina and grind the basic dungeon (on the lower left) and the event dungeon on the lower right(start with FFT since it goes away tomorrow).

Normally you have to spend 50 mythril for a draw, and right now if you get the 25 for today's lucky and tomorrows free draw you could have a fantastic start! There is also an orbfest going on, and you should be able to do the early stages at least.

Post your relics when you draw for our thoughts/recommendations, make sure you unlock characters for the relics you have (you'll get Souls for your choice of character from the event dungeons).

Join us on Discord, lots of helpful people hanging around usually!: https://discord.gg/sdX6zF

Edit: I just realised the Lucky draw I mentioned goes away in a bit over an hour, so I hope you see this in time!

Oryp fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 24, 2017

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

jjef posted:

Good time to join, 30th FF anniversary event is active right now, and there'll be a massive free pull later today (or tomorrow, depending on timezone).

While this is probably the best opportunity to reroll, it's not really worth it in this game. It's pretty generous with free currencies and power levels between characters are pretty even. I wouldn't bother with rerolling too much. If you do start some advice on pulling:

1) Always pull for 11 relics, either for 50 mythril or 25 when they're on sale. This guarantees a 5-6 star item, which are what you want. (These have character unique soul breaks on them)
2) ignore the Newcomers' Welcome Relic Draws, they are absolutely terrible, despite being aimed at beginners. Same goes for Keeper's Choice Soul Breaks. Both are pretty dated at this stage, and current banners tend to be much better.

Also do check out the discord, in case you want live advice! https://discordapp.com/invite/83h3U6r

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Attestant posted:

While this is probably the best opportunity to reroll, it's not really worth it in this game. It's pretty generous with free currencies and power levels between characters are pretty even. I wouldn't bother with rerolling too much.

Yeah, for a better idea: Characters are free and either given out in events or redeemed with Hero Souls (items you get from events or some other situations, we'll probably get a few in the anniversary fest), and your equippable skills are made with farmable materials. The gacha here is entirely based on gear (and the limit break equivalents attached to said gear) and doesn't really become a major sticking point on character viability until you start getting towards endgame stuff. You have plenty of time - and plenty of free currency - to get up a good stable of gear and soul breaks.

It's not like some gacha games like FFBE or (to a lesser degree) PAD where if you get a trash Starter Pull, you're gimped significantly. Rerolling is more a convenience/way to gun for specific chaser items when you start as opposed to something that the meta is practically based around.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

The only possible better time to join this game than literally today was four or five days ago.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Attestant posted:

I'm sorry, friend. That's a really miserable pair of pulls that leaves you with an equally miserable feeling.

They really should rework the gacha in this game. 11 pulls cost way too much free currency and there's too high a risk for a borderline useless ssb/11. That's a month and a half worth of playing down the drain. Once the no SSB era is here I'm unconvinced a LMR for someone you have nothing else for/11 is much better.

Let's compare to Fire Emblem Heroes. It's a competing gacha that prints money according to the grossing charts.
-Free "dollar pulls". Every new banner you get one pull for free.
-The free currency is extremely plentiful. You're pulling all the time.
-The banners have a pity rate.
-The bad pulls are also fine. You can mulch your bad pulls' abilities to your good units.
-They give out a some of high/top tier stuff for free so you're not reliant on the gacha to clear content.

The only problem with that game's gacha is the IV system, which is to say there is stat variance. Imagine pulling a 6* OSB sword where the highest stat is resistance. It's still good but if only it was +atk...

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

your bad pulls in FEH are 3* who almost definitely cannot be mulched without bumping them up to 4* or even in some cases 5*. also you're not beating the lunatic+ poo poo with just casual play and free stuff.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

your bad pulls in FEH are 3* who almost definitely cannot be mulched without bumping them up to 4* or even in some cases 5*. also you're not beating the lunatic+ poo poo with just casual play and free stuff.

You can absolutely use 3* for inheritance. I just inherited Pivot from a 3* Cherche to my Black Knight (another free S+ tier unit) today! If you want a slightly better version of the skill sure, go ahead and upgrade the unit to 4*. You can do that with another free currency that is also plentiful. The odds of pulling a 3* are lower than 4* too.

You can do infernal (the highest difficulty content) with free units. Feel free to youtube search "fire emblem heroes infernal free [insert battle title]" and see for yourself.

But enough thread derail with Heroes.

How much of a damage increase would I be looking at if I picked Orlando BSB from the CT banner to go along with his OSB? Assuming no weakness hit from anything let's have these sequences:

lifesiphon-OSB-lifesiphon-OSB-Full Charge-OSB-lifesiphon
vs
lifesiphon-OSB-lifesiphon-BSB-CMD1-OSB-lifesiphon

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Would ťoday be a good time for new players to start (is the 30 pull rerollable)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Bell_ posted:

Would ťoday be a good time for new players to start (is the 30 pull rerollable)

You could start a new account over and over till you got something good yeah.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
is the 30 pull free or what? also when is it

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

fridge corn posted:

Yes. Tonight at normal event time (5:00 PM PST).

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Tonight at 9 pm EST its a free 30 relic draw yes.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I'm ready to get 30 pieces of literal poo poo

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Tiny Bee/30

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'll take 30x Tiny Bee/30

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I'm sorry, friend. That's a really miserable pair of pulls that leaves you with an equally miserable feeling.

They really should rework the gacha in this game. 11 pulls cost way too much free currency and there's too high a risk for a borderline useless ssb/11. That's a month and a half worth of playing down the drain. Once the no SSB era is here I'm unconvinced a LMR for someone you have nothing else for/11 is much better.

Let's compare to Fire Emblem Heroes. It's a competing gacha that prints money according to the grossing charts.
-Free "dollar pulls". Every new banner you get one pull for free.
-The free currency is extremely plentiful. You're pulling all the time.
-The banners have a pity rate.
-The bad pulls are also fine. You can mulch your bad pulls' abilities to your good units.
-They give out a some of high/top tier stuff for free so you're not reliant on the gacha to clear content.

The only problem with that game's gacha is the IV system, which is to say there is stat variance. Imagine pulling a 6* OSB sword where the highest stat is resistance. It's still good but if only it was +atk...

I play both games.

• FEH's currency is way, way, way less plentiful than FFRK's. FFRK is about to enter the era of 150 Mythril per month. Once you finish all the permanent missions in FEH, you're limited to about 40 per month.
  • FEH banners have a drastically lower chance to give you a 5 star unit -- 6% vs 14% with no G5.
  • You can get utterly hosed by FEH's gacha system where it refuses to even allow you the chance to draw for what you want. Want Nephenee? gently caress you here's three sets of zero blues in a row.
  • FEH has as much off-banner as on-banner rate, so even if you pull for a specific unit you're just as likely not to get it as to get it when you do get a 5 star of the right color.
  • Most FEH 3 star units are exactly as useful as most FFRK 3 star relics. FFRK also has its useful 3 star and 4 star relics, though -- for example, the Ice Rod and Frostbrand.
  • You're not really very reliant on the gacha to clear content in FFRK at all. You can go really, really, really far with just characters and abilities. Only the very top end stuff really requires much in the way of specific relics, and guess what? You're not beating the highest end content in FEH with just free units either.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Fire emblem heroes is also a bad gme with nothing to do in it

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Paul Zuvella posted:

It's guaranteed OSB so Tyro OSB/30 is possible.

Zurai posted:

FFRK is about to enter the era of 150 Mythril per month.
Are we going to get more login bonuses or is the Mythril coming in some other form?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

iPodschun posted:

Are we going to get more login bonuses or is the Mythril coming in some other form?

Daily missions (complete any 1/2/3 stages), with rewards of 10k gil/1000 greens/1 mythril. They'll be a little sporadic at first but in JP at this point they've been available for 3 months straight. There's also the 6 mythril from Magicite dungeon quests monthly and a few extra minor sources.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

I'd rather hear about this 150 mythril per month era than continue this gacha comparison.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Isn't there also 60 mythril from a mythril dungeon?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

I'd rather hear about this 150 mythril per month era than continue this gacha comparison.

Assuming a standard 30 day month with exactly 4 weeks in it (doesn't exist but makes the numbers simpler):

13 mythril over each 10 days from login bonuses * 3 = 39.
13 mythril each week from events * 4 = 42 + 39 = 91.
1 dungeon update each month = 16 + 91 = 107.
Daily missions = 30 + 107 = 137.
Extra login bonuses, minigames, FFPortal, etc = ~10 per month + 137 = ~147.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 24, 2017

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

after I went a period of about 30 5-pulls only getting 3 5* characters, all bad ones, and the battles felt too loving repetitive, I decided FEH was a bad game and abandoned it.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

What's in the free 30-draw? Is it curated or just SSB+ or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

bilperkins2 posted:

What's in the free 30-draw? Is it curated or just SSB+ or what?

SSB+, no USBs or CSBs if it's like JP's was.

• Locked thread