Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

SKULL.GIF posted:

The Democrats have neither the desire nor the guts to do this, because they still view Congressional Republicans as fellows and comrades.

They're also the yawning maw that they can dangle the voting public over going "Look, I know we've not really done anything for you, but it's either us or..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Mantis42 posted:

Saying "The Democrats have been too focused on fighting racism to care about economics" is way too generous.

Expand on that, because you sound like an idiot. Seriously, break down what you mean and give me a good idea of what you are talking about, or I'll assume you are just being an obtuse rear end in a top hat.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pohl posted:

Expand on that, because you sound like an idiot. Seriously, break down what you mean and give me a good idea of what you are talking about, or I'll assume you are just being an obtuse rear end in a top hat.

The Democratic Party doesn't do poo poo without decades of pressure from its base and good polling on the issue.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Mantis42 posted:

The Democratic Party doesn't do poo poo without decades of pressure from its base and good polling on the issue.

Well, can't ignore that, this proof is undeniable.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Pohl posted:

Generally speaking, people who are aligned with the Democrats but not "proper" democrats see the way they have behaved since the turn of the century and see a repeated pattern of :tif:, sooner or later you begin to analyze why that might be with things like Matt Talabi's Why Young People Are Right About Hillary Clinon

quote:

Then of course there is the matter of the great gobs of money Hillary has taken to give speeches to Goldman Sachs and God knows whom else. Her answer about that — "That's what they offered" — gets right to the heart of what young people find so repugnant about this brand of politics.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Gonna be honest poo poo keeps getting framed as "you're not paying attention to minorities therefore leftism is bad" when its more "you're doing good stuff but there is very little confidence y'all won't stop caring once the problems that predominantly affect white people are addressed"

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Gonna be honest poo poo keeps getting framed as "you're not paying attention to minorities therefore leftism is bad" when its more "you're doing good stuff but there is very little confidence y'all won't stop caring once the problems that predominantly affect white people are addressed"

Hmmm yes between leftists and centrists, leftists are the ones noted for becoming complacent with the social status quo during times of economic growth. Is this thread for real?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Der Waffle Mous posted:

What can we say in response to this other than "we promise we won't stop caring?"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I don't really follow sports. What teams are playing tomorrow so I can root them on in their protests? Anything in particular that's greater significance?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

RuanGacho posted:

Generally speaking, people who are aligned with the Democrats but not "proper" democrats see the way they have behaved since the turn of the century and see a repeated pattern of :tif:, sooner or later you begin to analyze why that might be with things like Matt Talabi's Why Young People Are Right About Hillary Clinon

Young people are stupid and get high and drunk and don't vote every 4 years..

And they double don't vote for midterms.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Der Waffle Mous posted:

That's reasonable until it's said by the people who literally made "being woke" into a tool that protects white supremacist policies.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

PhazonLink posted:

The people we're talking about in this context is generally "anyone under 50".

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

WrenP-Complete posted:

I don't really follow sports. What teams are playing tomorrow so I can root them on in their protests? Anything in particular that's greater significance?

The whole NFL is playing tomorrow. You might want to watch the Miami Dolphins game, as the owner is very supportive of his players and the Dolphins may have the largest protest. The Seahawks are also very outspoken, and Michael Bennett, who was mentioned earlier as being a victim of racial profiling and nearly killed for it, is on the team and absolutely will kneel. His brother, Martellus on the Packers, is also politically outspoken (Seriously, click it, he has a great response to Trump's racist poo poo) and several other Packers may kneel/demonstrate alongside Marty B too.

https://twitter.com/ShaunKing/status/911778824555302912

Kickoff for games are at noon CST, 3:15 CST, and 7:30 CST, so you'll want to tune in about 15 minutes prior to these games to see the anthem stuff going on.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

WampaLord posted:

What can we say in response to this other than "we promise we won't stop caring?"

its concern trolling so you don't say anything. it's a bunch of motherfuckers who are incapable of chewing gum and walking at the same time; therefore, QED through the power of logic, science, neoliberal third wayism, and chronic navel gazing it is unrealistic to care about two things at the same time.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
The Mainstream Dem version of fighting bigotry is "hire more black cops!" or "you guys can marry now, equality: complete" and leaving it at that as if there are not so many more problems that require far more radical policy changes to solve, problems that often benefit their donors.

Leftists, or at least the ones I speak with, often attack the neoliberal position not because they think identity politics and civil rights are a distraction, but rather that the table scraps of equality that the Dems hand out are empty gestures at best, and curiously the economic vector that racism is often expressed through seems to be absent from the discussion at all times. "What about all the lenders that targeted predominantly black families for subprime mortgages despite qualifying for prime?", etc. Under the Clinton/Obama Democratic Party, those intersections of economic and racial justice are ignored. Hell, private prisons being big donors to the Democratic party and its candidates should be alarm bells about how these issues are tangled up in exploitation of racist public sentiments and biases for profit. People being afraid of minorities is really profitable for prisons, after all.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Der Waffle Mous posted:

This is fair, the history of the US is basically whites betraying minorities at every turn. The best answer I can give is to suggest that you can influence a movement by joining it to ensure that it continues on a path beneficial to minorites. Active members of a party will always be a small fraction of the population, so a determined minority can exert a much larger force on the direction of a party than expected by racial composition. See Georgians in the USSR.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions
Part of the problem is that while yes, some economic justice measures will help minorities somewhat (and in particular poor minorities, who have to deal with the double whammy), it's not going to address by itself the systematic and institutional factors that cause minorities to be on average worse off. You can't just attack the primary drivers of poverty for the population as a whole - you have to look at the factors that cause some groups to be more at risk for being in poverty if you want to actually achieve equality.

So for example $15/hr minimum wage or UBI would definitely help low-income minority workers. Sure. But it won't solve the problem of people with "ethnic" names being locked out of some jobs due to hiring discrimination - unless you address the biases and practices that lead to that kind of discrimination, people of color will still often times not be able to get into the careers they want to have and be able to live the kind of productive and fulfilling lives they should be able to.

Similarly, single-payer healthcare obviously helps more or less everyone. But it's not going to solve, for example, housing discrimination, which has been a huge driver of income inequality for generations (since people who can buy houses in "good neighborhoods" have assets to pass down to their children, and people who are forced to rent due to discrimination even when they could afford to buy will pass down less). Tax reform that puts the burden on the rich and on large corporations is a good unto itself, but it does nothing about discrimination in finance that often leads to minority small business owners getting screwed.

And of course none of the economic justice measures mean much of anything to minority communities if they are at risk of being shot or sent to an ICE gulag (even if they are citizens) because they were driving while the wrong color. An improved standard of living is worthless if it can be all taken away. And the ability to achieve a reasonable plan for economic justice is impossible to achieve if the groups necessary to do so can be either physically removed from exercising their rights, or if they can be practically removed via voter suppression and other tools of oppression that systematically target them.

So we really do have to do both, and economic justice will certainly help minority communities have to deal with fewer problems, but there are a lot of problems relating to racism that won't be solved except by attacking them directly on top of all that.

Fraction Jackson fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Sep 24, 2017

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

[quote="“Pohl”" post="“476705187”"]
Expand on that, because you sound like an idiot. Seriously, break down what you mean and give me a good idea of what you are talking about, or I’ll assume you are just being an obtuse rear end in a top hat.
[/quote]

They just spent the last 20 years dismantling the social safety net and pursuing technocratic market solutions to republicans' ongoing deregulation orgy. Ending foreign wars or addressing the rate at which American citizens are imprisoned and stripped of their rights was too radical for Obama.

The aca is about as good as capitalism can get at delivering care but goes hand-in-hand with killing medicaid and welfare. As recently as 2016 Clinton was too cowardly to promise to try building a public option.

They're all rich people who don't understand what capitalism really is or how it's basically doing a genocide to people in black communities.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

WrenP-Complete posted:

The Raiders are playing the Redskins in the Sunday night game in DC. The Raiders have a history of supporting social progress by making a lot of hires like "first woman X," "first Latino Y," and that sort of thing. They have a player named Marshawn Lynch who's been sitting all year for the anthem, and he's a hell of a character and extremely popular. He's Oakland through and through. Pretty much the whole team openly sympathizes with him, and there's been some other acts of solidarity during the anthem. The Redskins meanwhile, are unapologetic about using a racial slur as a nickname. If I was gonna watch one as a neutral, that would be it.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 24, 2017

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

SKULL.GIF posted:

The whole NFL is playing tomorrow. You might want to watch the Miami Dolphins game, as the owner is very supportive of his players and the Dolphins may have the largest protest. The Seahawks are also very outspoken, and Michael Bennett, who was mentioned earlier as being a victim of racial profiling and nearly killed for it, is on the team and absolutely will kneel. His brother, Martellus on the Packers, is also politically outspoken (Seriously, click it, he has a great response to Trump's racist poo poo) and several other Packers may kneel/demonstrate alongside Marty B too.

Kickoff for games are at noon CST, 3:15 CST, and 7:30 CST, so you'll want to tune in about 15 minutes prior to these games to see the anthem stuff going on.

Thank you! That's exactly the information I wanted.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

WampaLord posted:

I mean speaking for myself I'm not sure there is anything because there's always an unspoken "...this time".

Its not going to stop me from fighting alongside you but its going to be a worry at the back of my mind.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

RuanGacho posted:

But I think Hillary should just go away... I don't understand what your post has to do with what we were talking about. Are the Democrats really too focused on race to talk about economics, because that is what was posted.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pohl posted:

Well, can't ignore that, this proof is undeniable.

I can't think of anything Democratic politicians have really done for minorities on their own initiative in my lifetime. The black working class was devastated by the great Recession but never got the attention that the auto industry or Wall Street got when the Democrats controlled Congress. Nothing has been done about mass incarceration or the new Jim Crow - despite helping to create the problem. They have been tepid in supporting BLM, etc. The country and base have definitely moved to the left in that time, but it is always the result of grassroots movements outside of the party.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Pohl posted:

But I think Hillary should just go away... I don't understand what your post has to do with what we were talking about. Are the Democrats really too focused on race to talk about economics, because that is what was posted.

No, they use the social cover of being good on racism (which is an eminently debatable topic) as a shield for the fact that they're loving terrible on pretty much everything else people care about. Taiabi's article just uses the Clintons as the prime example because they're the beginning of the trend. If you think we somehow can discuss these things without bringing them into it I have bad news for you.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Fraction Jackson posted:

Part of the problem is that while yes, some economic justice measures will help minorities somewhat (and in particular poor minorities, who have to deal with the double whammy), it's not going to address by itself the systematic and institutional factors that cause minorities to be on average worse off. You can't just attack the primary drivers of poverty for the population as a whole - you have to look at the factors that cause some groups to be more at risk for being in poverty if you want to actually achieve equality.

So for example $15/hr minimum wage or UBI would definitely help low-income minority workers. Sure. But it won't solve the problem of people with "ethnic" names being locked out of some jobs due to hiring discrimination - unless you address the biases and practices that lead to that kind of discrimination, people of color will still often times not be able to get into the careers they want to have and be able to live the kind of productive and fulfilling lives they should be able to.

Similarly, single-payer healthcare obviously helps more or less everyone. But it's not going to solve, for example, housing discrimination, which has been a huge driver of income inequality for generations (since people who can buy houses in "good neighborhoods" have assets to pass down to their children, and people who are forced to rent due to discrimination even when they could afford to buy will pass down less). Tax reform that puts the burden on the rich and on large corporations is a good unto itself, but it does nothing about discrimination in finance that often leads to minority small business owners getting screwed.

And of course none of the economic justice measures mean much of anything to minority communities if they are at risk of being shot or sent to an ICE gulag (even if they are citizens) because they were driving while the wrong color. An improved standard of living is worthless if it can be all taken away. And the ability to achieve a reasonable plan for economic justice is impossible to achieve if the groups necessary to do so can be either physically removed from exercising their rights, or if they can be practically removed via voter suppression and other tools of oppression that systematically target them.

So we really do have to do both, and economic justice will certainly help minority communities have to deal with fewer problems, but there are a lot of problems relating to racism that won't be solved except by attacking them directly on top of all that.

Eventually most jobs will be automated so the problem of workplace discrimination sort of takes care of itself because there won't be a workplace anymore anyway. This is why UBI needs to be something that's discussed, debated, and implemented sooner rather than later.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

PhazonLink posted:

Ah yes, the old "young people don't vote so let's ignore them".

On the other hand all I ever hear is how these drat millennials don't cut loose and party as much, don't use drugs as much, don't like tits as much, don't like Applebees either, and as if all that wasn't bad enough none of them will buy my drat house :argh:

Maybe the reason Democrats can't win elections is, every time they lose an election they write a loving book slamming all the people who didn't vote for them, and then when it comes time to try to win some of those votes, all you hear is "why the gently caress would I do that, they don't vote anyway" :smug:

You realize that when you're part of a losing coalition it's your job to get more people to vote for you than in the last election (the one that, you know, you lost)?

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SKULL.GIF posted:

Kinda confused about what I'm supposed to do w/r/t these games, because I already swore I wasn't going to watch a single NFL game this season, but like, this protest stuff, so....

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

I can't think of anything Democratic politicians have really done for minorities on their own initiative in my lifetime. The black working class was devastated by the great Recession but never got the attention that the auto industry or Wall Street got when the Democrats controlled Congress. Nothing has been done about mass incarceration or the new Jim Crow - despite helping to create the problem. They have been tepid in supporting BLM, etc. The country and base have definitely moved to the left in that time, but it is always the result of grassroots movements outside of the party.

Obama and his administration were working incredibly hard to deal with the prison issue, if you didn't see it, it was because you didn't want to. Obama supported BLM, you are willfully ignoring history.

Kokoro Wish posted:

No, they use the social cover of being good on racism (which is an eminently debatable topic) as a shield for the fact that they're loving terrible on pretty much everything else people care about. Taiabi's article just uses the Clintons as the prime example because they're the beginning of the trend. If you think we somehow can discuss these things without bringing them into it I have bad news for you.

What, no. I don't care, bring them into it. I never meant to imply anything different.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Ah yes, the old "young people don't vote so let's ignore them".

On the other hand all I ever hear is how these drat millennials don't cut loose and party as much, don't use drugs as much, don't like tits as much, don't like Applebees either, and as if all that wasn't bad enough none of them will buy my drat house :argh:

Maybe the reason Democrats can't win elections is, every time they lose an election they write a loving book slamming all the people who didn't vote for them, and then when it comes time to try to win some of those votes, all you hear is "why the gently caress would I do that, they don't vote anyway" :smug:

You realize that when you're part of a losing coalition it's your job to get more people to vote for you than in the last election (the one that, you know, you lost)?

A good post.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pohl posted:

Obama and his administration were working incredibly hard to deal with the prison issue, if you didn't see it, it was because you didn't want to. Obama supported BLM, you are willfully ignoring history.

What, no. I don't care, bring them into it. I never meant to imply anything different.

Obama got a participation trophy for trying to address the prison industrial complex.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Pohl posted:

Because it's not just about Hillary Clinton, despite the title.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

This truism applies for both intra and inter coalition support building.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pohl posted:

About 100k fewer people were in prison in 2015 than 2008. However, there were still 1.3m more prisoners in 2015 than 1980, so he had a less than 10% effect on the prison population boom caused by Reagan.

'Obama Says Movements Like Black Lives Matter ‘Can’t Just Keep on Yelling' - NYT April 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

So, what happened recently that's getting leftists particularly vile? We're continuing to gain support for Medicare for All, we're continuing to primary in the states waaaay better than we did in 2014 and 2016, the Dems are holding the line against ACA repeal without any traitors so far, I'm seeing a new face in my DSA chapter every week.... what's the bee in your collective bonnets? Have centrists not been literally killing themselves fast enough to sate your thirst? Does the Dems playing DJT into potentially saving 800,000 minorities get your loving dicks blueballed?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jesus loving Christ, this is still America, we need loving allies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Potato Salad posted:

So, what happened recently that's getting leftists particularly vile? We're continuing to gain support for Medicare for All, we're continuing to primary in the states waaaay better than we did in 2014 and 2016, the Dems are holding the line against ACA repeal without any traitors so far, I'm seeing a new face in my DSA chapter every week.... what's the bee in your collective bonnets? Have centrists not been literally killing themselves fast enough to sate your thirst? Does the Dems playing DJT into potentially saving 800,000 minorities get your loving dicks blueballed?

The approach you're talking about - not being satisfied as long as there are still important problems to be solved - is the only reason the progress you mention has happened in the first place. Your attitude only really makes sense if someone is actually saying "I'm not going to vote for Democrats because of this", but simply expressing dissatisfaction as long as your political goals aren't being met is completely reasonable.

To give you some idea why this particular attitude ("Why can't you just be satisfied???") is so off-putting, consider the following example: After the Civil Rights Act was passed, obviously black activism at injustice with the status quo continued. Would you also tell them "Why can't you just be happy that something good has been accomplished?" To be honest, what this attitude seems to reveal is that you don't actually consider issues like poverty, healthcare, inequality, etc to be important in the same way you might think of other issues.

You might want to take a moment and really ask yourself why such criticism bothers you. I used to have an attitude similar to yours, and I eventually realized that it was because I had an irrational preoccupation with the idea of appearing "reasonable" in discussions rather than truly caring about positive change.

edit: Also, there's actually been a whole lot of good reactions to the increased support for MfA/single-payer.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ytlaya posted:

The approach you're talking about - not being satisfied as long as there are still important problems to be solved - is the only reason the progress you mention has happened in the first place. Your attitude only really makes sense if someone is actually saying "I'm not going to vote for Democrats because of this", but simply expressing dissatisfaction as long as your political goals aren't being met is completely reasonable.

Yeah the dissatisfaction isn't my issue, its the wholesale "Dems are worthless" that's a problem. There is a wide set of people under the leftmost tents, and the ones poisoning our revolution are the ones that come across like propaganda / falseflag bots.

I'm on board with the rest of your post.

fyi you're talking to a malcomite, I understand wholly where we cannot cease pushing for better. I'm saying we can do that without circle jerking about "Well the Dems don't offer us much better" when that is objectively false on nearly every issue of import.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 24, 2017

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Potato Salad posted:

poo poo I don't know I guess weird hosed-up posts like this one don't help.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

The far-left is mad because that is their essence, it is their raison d'etre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

You're the guy who couldn't resist making near crypto fascist excuses and edging hard on "Dems shouldn't help on DACA" with dog whistles so loud that it woke up the pound two blocks from my house, right? Or do I have your particularly fantastic string of "Perfection or literally death and broken families, no middle ground folks" posting attributed to the wrong event?

• Locked thread