Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

wicka posted:

You'd know it'd stop if you folks stop replying, right? It'd have been like two posts if the responses had been "yeah that's dumb," rather than crying and turning the world upside down to defend an indefensible business practice.

If you don't want me to keep doing this, why do you keep not agreeing me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Ariong posted:

If you don't want me to keep doing this, why do you keep not agreeing me?

100% the best part

Also thanks for linking that, I got some questions about the new apple tv answered after I dropped by the thread! :woop: goon success all around

pram
Jun 10, 2001

put this in the goldmine

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Proteus Jones posted:

A goon's descent into madness because an Apple TV shipped to his home via UPS requires a signature to be delivered.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748522&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=52#post476666537

wicka posted:

You'd know it'd stop if you folks stop replying, right? It'd have been like two posts if the responses had been "yeah that's dumb," rather than crying and turning the world upside down to defend an indefensible business practice.

Lmao dude is blaming the people replying to his endless posts for keeping the drama going.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

an indefensible business practice

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

EngineerJoe posted:

This is the tiniest hill to die on.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Sort of a speed bump to die on, not even a hill

A mild protrubance upon which to expire

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

there's a user named "shut up wicka" and I suddenly think they were inspired by another poster...

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

the escape goat posted:

there's a user named "shut up wicka" and I suddenly think they were inspired by another poster...

I saw a "gently caress off wicka" but dude's posting is bad enough that two people may have changed their usernames over it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
unconscionable

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
that apple thing sounds annoying as poo poo to me :shrug:

I'm busy and don't want to go to any ups stores or sit at home waiting for a package ever, how is that acceptable?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
No please don't bring the hill in here

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

:munch:

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
People in the thread gave him at least three different workarounds to the "problem", but they all require some degree of effort or at least being moderately patient, but why do that when you can barrage the thread with 20 beautifully idiotic madposts instead? :gooninthewell:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
His first mistake was buying an Apple product.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

His first mistake was buying an Apple product.

:lol::laffo::lol:

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the first mistake is actually being born to this sin cursed earth

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I'm busy and don't want to go to any ups stores or sit at home waiting for a package ever, how is that acceptable?

Its a mild annoyance that has many solutions that were given

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Tiler Kiwi posted:

It's this.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tiler Kiwi posted:

And where did sin come from?

Checkmate. :smaug:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

And where did sin come from?

The ocean or something? I never finished Final Fantasy X.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

The ocean or something? I never finished Final Fantasy X.

Big dead whale dad is the best dad.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

If you're too busy to go pick it up you're obviously too busy to use it, so I fail to see the issue here. If anything they're doing you a favor.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I too order expensive electronics and schedule them to be delivered and left outside my home when I'm out of the country.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
"Why would I leave a notice for a no-signature delivery, that's basically a visible sign to thieves that my goods will be left unattended," says person whose preferred plan is to leave the goods visible to thieves and unattended

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I get my more expensive items delivered to the office so that I don't deal with this issue. But then again I don't buy from Apple, which saves me no end of trouble.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

"Why would I leave a notice for a no-signature delivery, that's basically a visible sign to thieves that my goods will be left unattended," says person whose preferred plan is to leave the goods visible to thieves and unattended

no, see, if he leaves a sign then people will see it, unlike the big box that will be sitting there for days since he's out of the country

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

To be fair, the box will fit in the mailbox without difficulty.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

To be fair, the box will fit in the mailbox without difficulty.

this is illegal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well it's obviously unethical as poo poo.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

No it is literally illegal for anyone OTHER than USPS to deliver items via the mailbox.

quote:

The U.S. Code for crimes and criminal procedure prohibits the placement of unstamped flyers in any mailbox. Title 18, section 1725 states that any person who knowingly deposits "mail-able matter" without postage in an established letter box shall be subject to a fine.

The Government Accountability Office reports that fines may be as high as $5,000 per occurrence for individuals and $10,000 per occurrence for organizations.

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Sep 25, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Subjunctive posted:

no the USPS owns all mailboxes per federal law and non-USPS carriers can not use it for storage or else the USPS can legally seize the material and fine the carrier.

18 U.S. Code § 1725

quote:

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Now I've learned something due to that guy's crazy Apple Hill Battle and that's the worst part.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Well now I learned something about America.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scudworth posted:

Now I've learned something due to that guy's crazy Apple Hill Battle and that's the worst part.

It can't be the worst part, because it's still all downhill from here. Getting him to think rationally is too much of an uphill battle.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Scudworth posted:

It's why there are newspaper mailboxes nailed below the normal ones. They stopped putting them in there now and just throw them in the driveway now. The "free" sample weekly they dump in my yard I mean. I've called and actually said stop throwing trash in my yard every Wednesday you assholes.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burt Sexual posted:

It's why there are newspaper mailboxes nailed below the normal ones. They stopped putting them in there now and just throw them in the driveway now. The "free" sample weekly they dump in my yard I mean. I've called and actually said stop throwing trash in my yard every Wednesday you assholes.

Wait, didn't they always throw them in the driveway?...How old are you?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

TenCentFang posted:

Wait, didn't they always throw them in the driveway?...How old are you?

Old, but I live in a non trashy neighborhood I guess.

I had a newspaper route and olds used to have all kinds of special delivery reqs which I obidiently observed as I didn't want to lose subscriptions and was literal child labor.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

Old, but I live in a non trashy neighborhood I guess.

I had a newspaper route and olds used to have all kinds of special delivery reqs which I obidiently observed as I didn't want to lose subscriptions and was literal child labor.

Same here. I had to walk up to any house that didn't have a box on the street and in nowise was aloud to leave them out in the rain (in Oregon so every drat morning). 5am rowdy rear end dogs not fenced in. And when I couldn't collect from cheapskates I didn't get paid, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

syscall girl posted:

Same here. I had to walk up to any house that didn't have a box on the street and in nowise was aloud to leave them out in the rain (in Oregon so every drat morning). 5am rowdy rear end dogs not fenced in. And when I couldn't collect from cheapskates I didn't get paid, etc.

where I grew up they put the paper in little plastic bags when it was rainy, did you not have those?