Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The whole point of fiskis that you're not fighting him, you're fighting the apparatus and air of legality around him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

:black101:

I have no idea what this is but I assume it's a Daredevil.

I hear Kingpin here in *exactly* the voice of Baron Harkkonen from the Dune full cast production.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
If there was one Marvel character I'd like to see change appearance, it would be The Kingpin. Imo he should look like Micheal Clark Duncan from the movie.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

bob human being posted:

If there was one Marvel character I'd like to see change appearance, it would be The Kingpin. Imo he should look like Micheal Clark Duncan from the movie.

I'd agree if I hadn't seen D'Onofrio own the role so goddamn hard. That Good Samaritan speech was spine tingling. Michael Clark Duncan should be Lex Luthor, and not just because STAS had his skin dark, he'd legitimately be great in the role.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 23, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SiKboy posted:

Fisk wasnt actually that big a deal until Daredevil became popular (he was created as a spider-man villain, but spider-man had way more interesting enemies who could do everything Fisk could do AND were a physical threat). Fisks main opponent is now one guy who isnt as blind as a regular blind guy, and he doesnt have to be a physical threat (although he is shown to be very strong and able to hold his own in a fight with Daredevil. I think he's at least once said to have trained Sumo believe it or not). Can you imagine a fight between Fisk and the Fantastic Four or the Avengers?

Lex Luthor is a credible threat to Superman, even in comics where he doesn't have a power suit. A Kingpin vs. F4 story would probably start with them being in some sort of financial trouble and Fisk buying their building or something, same with the Avengers probably, isn't the Avenger's mansion in Manhattan? that's a lot of land to be occupied by a 2-3 story building on a tiny island that's also the financial capital of the world.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Skwirl posted:

Lex Luthor is a credible threat to Superman, even in comics where he doesn't have a power suit. A Kingpin vs. F4 story would probably start with them being in some sort of financial trouble and Fisk buying their building or something, same with the Avengers probably, isn't the Avenger's mansion in Manhattan? that's a lot of land to be occupied by a 2-3 story building on a tiny island that's also the financial capital of the world.

It's practically in Central Park.

But it's owned by the Maria Stark Foundation, which is the organization that funds the Avengers (at least, that's the way it used to be), and there was plenty of money to keep things under control.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

prefect posted:

It's practically in Central Park.

But it's owned by the Maria Stark Foundation, which is the organization that funds the Avengers (at least, that's the way it used to be), and there was plenty of money to keep things under control.

Tony has gone broke plenty of times, and it's not like a poo poo ton of money disappearing from a non-profit with no clear explanation has never happened before.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Skwirl posted:

Absolutely fair, but I did say "fight". Whatever plot you have in mind with Fisk vs the Avengers or FF could be done with Doom, and you could have it end with an actual fight. Not so much Fisk, I dont think he's ever been the power-suit wearing type (although I stand to be corrected, and I guess being confident enough to walk around in purple pinstripe, white jacket and a goddamn cravat is its own type of power). Its purely illustrative; It isnt as important for fisk to brush off a low tier powered villain because he isnt commonly going toe to toe with powered heroes. Beating a nobody doesnt make the heroes look good, so to keep the heroes looking strong their villains have to look strong. Hence Doom shrugging off the purple man.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

TenCentFang posted:

I'd agree if I hadn't seen D'Onofrio own the role so goddamn hard. That Good Samaritan speech was spine tingling. Michael Clark Duncan should be Lex Luthor, and not just because STAS had his skin dark, he'd legitimately be great in the role.

You mean should've been Lex Luthor. He would've been great. :(

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

SonicRulez posted:

You mean should've been Lex Luthor. He would've been great. :(

Aw, I didn't know, that sucks. :smith:

Let me amend this to make clear I don't think he was a bad Kingpin in the slightest and if not for season one of Daredevil being very nearly such a perfect superhero adaptation equal to Batman The Animated Series, I would think he was absolutely unconquerable in the role. Great man, great actor. It is abysmal not being able to see the same talent in new stuff.

TenCentFang fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 23, 2017

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

What was that in? I need it inside my brain.

It was a 2003 mini series by Chuck Dixon.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/doom/4050-18531/

There was also a sequel, Doom The Emperor Returns. But it wasn't as :black101:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TenCentFang posted:

Lex Luthor had the exact same skin color as Superman in the cartoon.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's too bad Roscoe Lee Browne never got a chance to play the Kingpin in live-action. That's still the voice I imagine for the Kingpin.

Another deceased actor who would've played a great Kingpin: Maury Chaykin.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How about Tor Johnson?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
It's a wildly uneven run but I liked that in D.G Chichester's 90's Daredevil he shows the Kingpin getting involved with Hydra and finding himself in way over his head. Much like arguments that the Punisher works better at a certain remove from the rest of the Marvel universe, Chichester's Kingpin is portrayed as a successful and cunning criminal and entrepreneur who makes the mistake of thinking he's playing the same game as jetpack fascists who plot and fight decade-long battles on an international level.

He can outmaneuver almost any other NY-based crime villain and can give characters like Daredevil or Spider-Man a pretty good run for their money in one-on-combat, but that whole storyline is about him finding out that he's not invincible-- much like how any reasonable writer would, presumably, have a physical brawl between the Kingpin and, say, Iron Man wrap up pretty quickly. That's why I prefer the Kingpin to a lot of other arch-nemesis type villains-- there's a sense that although he is, in context, a terrifyingly capable and dangerous person, there's a more or less clear narrative ceiling for what kind of stops he can pull out. He can ruin Matt Murdock's life by intimidating his friends, hurting his loved ones, damaging his business, etc., but he's probably not going to fire an orbital laser at him or anything like that.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Archyduke posted:

but he's probably not going to fire an orbital laser at him or anything like that.

In a stunning twist, Dr. Evil himself is the Mini-Me of Wilson Fisk. The Alan Parson's Project was Kingpin's idea all along, before he retired to being a mere mob boss.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I bet Cap would no sell Purple Man like a mother fucker. Spider-Man would eventually overcome his control after spending a few pages agonizing over letting down Aunt May.

So far the only people who've been able to resist Killgrave without using tricks are villains. Cap is just as vulnerable as anyone, though he did very obviously try to trick Purple Man into giving him his free will back a couple times while working for him.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lurdiak posted:

So far the only people who've been able to resist Killgrave without using tricks are villains. Cap is just as vulnerable as anyone, though he did very obviously try to trick Purple Man into giving him his free will back a couple times while working for him.

Well yeah chumping villains to other villains and is the oldest trick in the book.

Especially with the weird obsession most writers have with doom.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I think it's fair to say that Fisk fighting off Kilgrave's control is the cooler scene, but I'd also absolutely call bullshit if Doom had faltered for even a panel.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

Daredevil has. Twice in fact, once in Waid's run and once in a flashback in Soule's most recent run.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Also, obviously, Jessica Jones

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Daredevil has. Twice in fact, once in Waid's run and once in a flashback in Soule's most recent run.

Huh. Neat.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Also, obviously, Jessica Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRiHuYpKuAk

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Luke Cage notably overpowered and beat the crap out of him during the breakout on the Raft that led to the formation of the New Avengers.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
True, but at the time Killgrave was hopped up on power blockers.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm putting all other examples down to Writer Induced Stupidity. I should also say I actually don't dislike the Doom example, I actually ardently defended it on Reddit which is what got me to look up the page to quote check and as a result seeing Kingpin doing it, which I just like better as a scene.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mr. Maltose posted:

True, but at the time Killgrave was hopped up on power blockers.

speaking of:

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Utterly perfect. :allears:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
And then...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Luke Cage, Perennial Badass:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Then there's the other time Kilgrave learned Luke Cage Ain't Nuthing ta gently caress Wit:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That looks like extremely fatal damage from that headbutt, there.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
You'd really think he'd learn to stop goading people until he knows he has them under control.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

TenCentFang posted:

You'd really think he'd learn to stop goading people until he knows he has them under control.
I like that Kilgrave seems to keep forgetting that everyone knows he has mind-control powers, and as such would take steps to protect themselves from said powers.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TenCentFang posted:

Evil Mastermind posted:

I like that Kilgrave seems to keep forgetting that everyone knows he has mind-control powers, and as such would take steps to protect themselves from said powers.

Whats the purple man without an ego the size of the marvel multiverse.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Whats the purple man without an ego the size of the marvel multiverse.

Personally, I would have gone with "planet sized ego".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TenCentFang posted:

Personally, I would have gone with "planet sized ego".

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Anyone have the Cage panel where he's showing off his fancy magic crowbar to Bullseye and Venom during Dark Avengers?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Toshimo posted:

Luke Cage, Perennial Badass:

I will never not love this outfit.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Toshimo posted:

Then there's the other time Kilgrave learned Luke Cage Ain't Nuthing ta gently caress Wit:

Wait, who was "warden cripple" doing some badass stuff while Luke was doing his thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Wait, who was "warden cripple" doing some badass stuff while Luke was doing his thing?

John Walker, the former USAgent, who had been a replacement Captain America for a while. Kind of villainy, but he transitioned into "huge jackass that's at least on our side, kinda-sorta". (He was forced into the West Coast Avengers by the government during the Byrne years). He lost an arm and a leg fighting the good fight against someone in Asgard who had gotten ahold of a sweet magic spear. (This was during some big event.) Then he went on to be a warden with non-fancy prosthetics, because he didn't trust robot parts. (Not without reason, of course.) He continued to be a hardass motherfucker. :3: