Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

because he reported his prediction as fact

That video was made after McCain stated he would support the Graham-Cassidy Bill if the Arizona Governor would (he did). This isn't including the assumption that McCain would support a Bill sponsored by his favorite nation-destroying partner in crime Lindsey Graham. But yeah, we're loving morons for not giving John McCain the benefit of the doubt on these, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

viral spiral posted:

That video was made after McCain stated he would support the Graham-Cassidy Bill if the Arizona Governor would (he did). This isn't including the assumption that McCain would support a Bill sponsored by his favorite nation-destroying partner in crime Lindsey Graham. But yeah, we're loving morons for not giving John McCain the benefit of the doubt on these, I guess.

oh

then you're an idiot for posting an outdated video as breaking news

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

oh

then you're an idiot for posting an outdated video as breaking news

I posted that video before McCain released his statement on the Graham-Cassidy Bill today, shithead.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Jimmy Dore isn't that smart (he's fairly upfront and humorous about that) but I admire him for trying to learn from people like Thomas Frank and Chris Hedges, and for sticking to his progressive guns. He's the big gently caress You to Dem establishment that it desperately needs for the sake of having diverse voices in America. He gets the big picture!

McCain sends a surprise early torpedo into Graham-Cassidy. I can't think of better news to hear, other than Colin's/Murk releasing a statement too.

Office Pig posted:

Yes, you did miss something. That's not the deal or a deal, it's one of those ideas along with federal Medicaid adjustments getting floated around as lures rather than concrete proposals for Murkowski. This is an instance where reporters are playing a game of telephone and we get 'Alaska gets its own ACA' as a result.

Ah, thanks. Yes the "Alaska gets OCare in deal" claim spread around in the Twitterverse rapidly.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Having watched a ton of TYT circa 2013-2016 I can say with authority that Jimmy Dore is a total fucker.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Having watched a ton of TYT circa 2013-2016 I can say with authority that Dave Rubin is a total fucker.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

viral spiral posted:

McCain has been a yes on the substance of the bill and a no on the procedure for weeks now. Get over yourself.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Motherfucking Maverick. Again! And with his super best senate friends bill too. Trump didn't even know how to do his usual insult comedy bit right tonight it struck me. It's like he's still processing it and it's all going to going into a 10 part tweet storm tomorrow. His list of enemies must be bigger than Nixon by now too.

Kale fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 23, 2017

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

McCain has been a yes on the substance of the bill and a no on the procedure for weeks now. Get over yourself.

Just because McCain is an institutionalist doesn't mean he's principled.

Kale posted:

Motherfucking Maverick. Again! And with his super best senate friends bill too. Trump didn't even know how to do his usual insult comedy bit right tonight it struck me. It's like he's still processing it and it's all going to going into a 10 part tweet storm tomorrow. His list of enemies must be bigger than Nixon by now too.

Just read through McCain's early political history - the regulations he helped stop by intimidating/threatening regulators on behalf of his friend Charlie Keating all of which ultimately led to the savings and loans crisis. I mean that's just one example.

I think we're watching more of gilioblastoma than anything else at here. McCain cares more about the spotlight and attention being on him than anything else.

McCain wants attention - he always wants attention - and he wants a legacy.

Because the most likely outcome is McCain doesn't live to see another election, and even if he does, he'll be in no shape for it.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Kale posted:

It'd be quicker to list who's not on his enemies list right now.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/911545480651378689
Eh, not his best work. 4/10

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Jagged Jim posted:

Kale
May 14, 2010

Jagged Jim posted:

I don't know man inserting himself into like a decades long old senate man bromance when Graham already said he wish he'd vote for it but it's not going to get in the way of their relationship is pretty drat ballsy and actually likely to get under McCain's skin more than just about anything else he could have said. He takes that senate camaraderie poo poo pretty seriously. I hear Trumps latest beef is with Steph Curry, but it can be kind of hard to keep up so that might have changed in the last few hours

Kale fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 23, 2017

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/911646113916170240
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/911648400764018688
https://twitter.com/ASlavitt/status/911654167818665984

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Say what I will about some of Bell's cartoons, he's really got the demonic elephant thing down to a G-O-PEE.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Weird that he's saying this considering that "a large number" have been assumed on board this entire time. It's always been about McCain/Paul/Collins/Murk.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 23, 2017

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Weird that he's saying this considering that "a large number" have been assumed on board this entire time. It's always been about McCain/Paul/Collins/Murk.

There's really not that much they can do to change the law via reconciliation. It works from a Grover Norquist perspective because reconcilliation lets you cut - and that's all they care about - but no one wants to hear you're cutting their healthcare options.

I doubt they manage to convert McCain/Collins/Murk without a CBO score, which they won't have.

The only way they'd covert Paul is to drop all the taxes they're keeping, and if they do that then they've definitely lost McCain/Collins/Murk.

-----

It's really hosed up that the only thing standing between right now and the obliteration of healthcare for millions of Americans is the Byrd bath.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, read between the lines and it sounds like they're further from 50 than people assumed

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, read between the lines and it sounds like they're further from 50 than people assumed

Especially since Trump rattled off that he had a list of 10 names - excluding McCain - that were hard 'no' votes. The list included Paul, but he was told they expected Paul to vote for it (like he has in the past).

That still leaves 9 no votes + McCain...that's a long long way from a legislative victory in the Senate.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

They're thinking that if they can turn Murkowski, every other Soft No will be forced to back it. Then they can turn Collins or Paul with the pressure of being the only one's standing in the way. The other soft nos are important if Murkowski and/or Collins declares formal opposition, as they can then kill the bill behind closed doors. But in the open, they're good little pets and will remain so.

Paul would only back the bill if they promised a lot more tax cuts or dramatically changed the bill in some way. I'm kinda worried they might just introduce some radically different bill on the floor tailored for him and then somehow keep all the soft no's that committed to Graham-Cassidy and are too cowardly to "betray the party."

Paul voted against BCRA and similar proposals consistently, but he is willing to vote for something more evil. I don't know how McConnell could thread the needle of getting him on board and keeping the sane, but he'd sure as hell try anything if it came down to "flip Paul or admit defeat again."

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Been hearing a bunch from Topher Spiro and others that making it sound like 50-already-in-the-bag was a conscious effort to convert others (besides Collins/McCain/Murkowski/Paul) who otherwise might not be sold.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

God willing.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Chortles posted:

Been hearing a bunch from Topher Spiro and others that making it sound like 50-already-in-the-bag was a conscious effort to convert others (besides Collins/McCain/Murkowski/Paul) who otherwise might not be sold.

McCain coming out with a prepared statement may be the institutionalist in him speaking. Rather than waiting till the last minute to make a grand gesture like he did in the Summer.

Plus there is a long history of McCain and McConnell more or less hating each other.

Since McCain is very unlikely to survive to reelection (even if he does I doubt he'll run again) then he has no reason to back off now. If the Republicans really are further from 50 than they've been letting on then it absolutely explains why McCain made his announcement so early.

It disrupted McConnell's control of the narrative, and that "fake it till you make it" was more-or-less torpedoed by Trump showing the GOP's hand by admitting to those 10 people he was having to call.

I admit I'm not breathing easy over here, this isn't over till it's over, but for now I'm assuaging my anxiety with the above.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Someone shared a link in the Chimp thread that quoted Graham as saying that he wanted any budget bill passed to include language that continues the debate on health care.

That doesn't seem to bode well for their chances to pass this monstrosity, but....why the hell would these morons want this to keep going? I know the answer is that not getting anything done makes them look weak, but you'd think that they'd eventually be at least smart enough to cut their losses and move on.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That doesn't seem to bode well for their chances to pass this monstrosity, but....why the hell would these morons want this to keep going? I know the answer is that not getting anything done makes them look weak, but you'd think that they'd eventually be at least smart enough to cut their losses and move on.
This story from June about what turned out to be the BCRA has been making the rounds on liberal Twitter recently in regards to Cassidy-Graham. If the link doesn't work:

quote:

One Texas-based donor warned Republican lawmakers that his “Dallas piggy bank” was now closed, until he saw legislative progress.

“Get Obamacare repealed and replaced, get tax reform passed,” said Doug Deason. “Get it done and we’ll open it back up.”

Nonetheless, Koch officials said that the network’s midterm budget for policy and politics is between $300m and $400m.
Now imagine that there are more donors with this stance...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/911983177333444608

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

his quote was basically that he has an amendment he wants in for his vote, hes a very weak no

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Excellent. This thing is almost hosed. They will frantically try to make changes to it, but they are stuck if both moderates and nutjobs like Cruz/Paul are no.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

evilweasel posted:

his quote was basically that he has an amendment he wants in for his vote, hes a very weak no
On the other hand he's claiming that C-G doesn't have Mike Lee's vote either, which is interesting to say the least.
https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/911964825076600832

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Remember the last time Ted Cruz added an amendment to a health care bill?

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Negotiating tactic I guess. The real problem for this bill is Murk, Collins, McCain, and amendments that make Cruz happy won't make them happy.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/911958582811295744

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

he looks like a hungry raccoon

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So wait...they're introducing a new bill with even LESS time left to examine, debate, etc? They really are just shuffling the chairs on the titanic at this point.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

jivjov posted:

So wait...they're introducing a new bill with even LESS time left to examine, debate, etc? They really are just shuffling the chairs on the titanic at this point.

everything uggests they dont have the votes and are spinning the wheel desperately hoping it lands on something that males both paul and murkowski happy which, well, its not like they have better things to do like 4 million americans without power in the wreckage of a natural disaster

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
They have just one week to get this done. Anytime spent having to try and get people like Ted Cruz on board makes it that more difficult for them to get the people who count, like Murkowski and McCain, on board.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

The "senators have to stop being mean to Ted Cruz" amendment I assume.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

The "senators have to stop being mean to Ted Cruz" amendment I assume.

An amendment finally closing the Zodiac Killer file?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Chortles posted:

On the other hand he's claiming that C-G doesn't have Mike Lee's vote either, which is interesting to say the least.

They're both going to distance themselves from the bill now that failure is inevitable. Poor Johnson has his name on the bill so he accidentally own-goaled himself, same with Heller.

I knew it was over once skinny repeal failed. That was the most politically palatable bill possible, even if it was really dumb. GCHJ is such a hilariously awful piece of legislation to the point where I haven't seen a single journalist accurately report what it actually does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

There's a bunch of buzz about Rand Paul negotiating now, though his demands are unlikely to be met. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a brand-new bill makes it to the floor to satisfy him like the Skinny Repeal approach. Basically they're banking on Murkowski caving to Graham-Cassidy and then staying on board for whatever comes next.