Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think the real question about seeing the puppies, was did you enjoy it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Being a 36 year od man myself this fills me with concern. :ohdear:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
That's awfully old to be learning puppies aren't real.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

tactlessbastard posted:

That's awfully old to be learning puppies aren't real.

W-what?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Being a 36 year od man myself this fills me with concern. :ohdear:

Just don't talk to strangers and you'll be fine.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Okay sure, we covered puppies, but what about candy? Is the candy real?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Candy is an elaborate lie propagated by the dental industry to sell more floss.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

areyoucontagious posted:

Okay sure, we covered puppies, but what about candy? Is the candy real?

Search your heart

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Sexual assault is no joke.

That said, I'm slightly amused and puzzled at an ostensibly grown rear end man falling for a technique usually aimed at mush-brained children.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The fesh is that the dude found out he's secretly gay or into it, I can't imagine any 36 year old man I know getting tricked into a van and not having the wherewithal to box the guys ears and get the gently caress out of there.

Like there are roughly 15 red flags at any point here before you are in danger.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Bust Rodd posted:

The fesh is that the dude found out he's secretly gay or into it, I can't imagine any 36 year old man I know getting tricked into a van and not having the wherewithal to box the guys ears and get the gently caress out of there.

Like there are roughly 15 red flags at any point here before you are in danger.

Maybe the van was labeled "FREE (insert confessioner's political party) ADVICE" on the side when the guy got inside. It worked for Milo from Breibart.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

of course Scientology goon posted a followup

quote:

So I just saw exactly why I was scared to post my confession - a bunch of goons decide to attack with ignorance and slander about Scientology.

We are not a cult. Anyone is free to join and you could leave at any time; the problem is that anyone who leaves is doing it because they are liars and conmen. So suddenly Scientology is "a cult" because you listen to SPs like Katie Holmes (who wasn't very good in any movies anyway) and Leah Remini (literally who?). Do you listen to the crazy homeless man on the street and consider him a good source of news? No? Then why the gently caress would you listen to two SPs who left the church with tones below 5. They don't know poo poo.

It is not a money scam. The classes are expansive but, as mentioned, there are other ways to pay. You sign a contract with Scientology when you are ready, and it shows your love and devotion to the Church. There's no pressure to it at all, it's a big decision as it's a billion year contract to capture all future lives as well.

We aren't weird. gently caress South Park for this, now people think our religion is all about aliens. It's not any more than Christianity is all about space. Those dead aliens explain our thetans, but that's no stranger than a magic man turning water into wine. In fact it makes a lot more sense if you approach it scientifically.

L Ron Hubbard was a humanitarian and philanthropist even before the church. He wrote great works of fiction but sought greater meaning. And he found it and brought it to all of us. You've probably heard about his evil son, who tried to escape the Church and was deeply mentally ill and sexually ambiguous. L Ron still gave him a hero's funeral at sea, what does that tell you?

One more thing, I had to get audited yesterday after reading this thread, because some of your comments got me angry. So do you see? Your angry words give power to the engrams inside me, and inside all of you. This cycle continues forever, unless you let the Church fix you.

I'll be a tone 40 in time, which means I can audit others. And I seriously hope at least one goon gets the help you all so obviously need.

One more thing; you mock Scientology but there are a LOT more Scientologists than you know. You probably pass at least one every day, and you probably see one on TV every night. You probably laugh at ome's twitter feed and you might even count one among your state's legislature.

And to the foreign goon laughing about us being banned from their country? Sorry for your loss; you'll never find the truth unless you leave your terrible SP hideout.

you can tell it's not a cult because they treat not liking Scientology as some kind of mental disorder

quote:

Hey all, this is the goon who wrote in ages ago about recent-grad job search depression, then later got an unpaid internship at a good company through a contact. Writing in to update on that and also for some advice.

It's been about 6 months since I started doing work for them, which during that time I designed a VR portfolio app for their company from scratch. I don't want to go into detail on what it consists of but I basically accomplished every request they've asked for and they are very impressed with what I have created. My end goal is to finish the app once and for all then port it to Android VR devices. I'm currently in code refactoring stages to streamline everything.

I want to keep working here. It's a really lax work environment with great people and it keeps me from sodding off. I want to finish the app before asking if I can improve to a paid position, but thinking about it makes me nervous.

Here are some bullet points to help gauge the situation:

- I was brought in because I have experience that nobody else in the company has.
- I get along very well with everybody. No problems at all.
- The app I designed is a portfolio, so it needs constant updating. It's not possible for them to continue supporting this app without me to work on it.
- The work I'm doing now has very little to do with what I got my college degree in. They are aware of the rest of my skillset which meshes with other things they do.
- The office consist of less than 10 people. This company was formed very recently, but our founders have other accomplished businesses so this company is growing very quickly.
- The app will probably be finished and ported before November, maybe even before mid October.
- I have no idea if they have other projects in mind.

Even if it doesn't work out in the end I will still leave this experience with a great portfolio piece and a company of good contacts. So what should I do? How do I prepare myself to try for a paid position? I wrote this half-asleep so I can do a followup email if more details are needed.

Personally speaking I have no idea why you'd do this much work for a company that isn't paying you money :shrug: What exactly did designing this app entail? Did you do any coding or did you just mock up all the UI in Photoshop?

Also, what were the original terms of this internship? The way it's worked at every company I've ever worked at is that internships are for a set amount of time (3 months usually) and at the end of that timeframe, either they extend a full-time offer, or they don't and the intern moves on with their life instead of staying on the hook forever. And those are paid internships. 6 months is a really friggin long time to go unpaid. Are you just working there Until Your Thing Is Done or what?

If I were you I'd have a talk with your boss about what the future is going to look like. You don't seem to have any idea when or how this internship will end or what their plans are for you afterward, and you need to find out. You don't have to phrase this as making any demands of them or whatever if you don't want to; you just need some information about your future so you can plan accordingly.

Way too many young people are forced to give away way too much labor for free in the 21st-century economy; it's stupid.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

quote:

was deeply mentally ill and sexually ambiguous
The fact that your saying this as a thing that your magic space prophet had to overcome to love son as a amazing and special thing tell me all about you

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, just approach your boss and ask directly. Let him/her know everything you just told us. If you get along with everyone and they value your skills and you tell the boos "I like working here with all of you guys and have faith in this company and what it's doing, but I'm just wondering what my future looks like here once my internship is over," then they'll let you know where their head is at. It's not pushy, you're not asking for anything weird, and it's your career so it's definitely something you deserve to know.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The Scientology one gives me the same douche-thrill as the very best parts of the Star Citizen thread.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
We're not crazy, here sign this billion year contract

InevitableCheese
Jul 10, 2015

quite a pickle you've got there
If you don't have money you can always sell your soul

Maybe you should quit the fake therapy and mind-control and see a real therapist

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.
As someone who lives in the ~spiritual headquarters~ of scientology, they are in fact all batshit crazy.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

I love the idea that if you don't have enough money they have payment plans to help you afford salvation. How anyone can look at that and not see it as a scam is beyond me.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
We're not a cult. You can leave whenever you want, it's just that the only people who leave are horrible deviants that must be suppressed.

That time the Church of Scientology infiltrated the US Government: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

(One of) the time(s) the church tried to imprison or otherwise have a critic committed: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Freakout

But if you want to practice your Plan Nine from Outer Faith, but without having to follow the whims of a shadowy council that only exists under Admiralty law, there's the "Free Zone" scientologists, which is basically the Protestant version I guess.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
I prefer my cults with more doom and less cheques, thank you

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Torquemada posted:

The Scientology one gives me the same douche-thrill as the very best parts of the Star Citizen thread.

Wait, Star Citizen hasn't imploded yet?

(checking) Nope, the train is still lumbering down the track.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

To Scientology goon: toning isn't real, it's a made up concept. You can only build muscle mass, you can't tone it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I squealed on the anime video game and everyone in the thread called me a snitch

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fruit on the bottom posted:

We're not a cult. You can leave whenever you want, it's just that the only people who leave are horrible deviants that must be suppressed.

That time the Church of Scientology infiltrated the US Government: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

(One of) the time(s) the church tried to imprison or otherwise have a critic committed: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Freakout

But if you want to practice your Plan Nine from Outer Faith, but without having to follow the whims of a shadowy council that only exists under Admiralty law, there's the "Free Zone" scientologists, which is basically the Protestant version I guess.

Free Zone is a pretty awesome name for a renegade sect, you gotta admit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Inescapable Duck posted:

Free Zone is a pretty awesome name for a renegade sect, you gotta admit.

It makes me feel like a big game of Calvinball.

"Those doctrines are protected by copyright."

"Can't touch us, we're in the Free Zone"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

When I was 13-16 I would frequently let the family dog eat poop out of my butthole. He would always hang out in my room, so when I had to poop I would get on all fours and drop my pants so he knew what was up. The trick was pooping slowly enough that he could comfortably eat it without making a mess, but quickly enough that he wouldnt nibble on my butthole for more, which was painful.

I don't really know what it was about. It wasn't a sexual thing as far as I can tell because I was never aroused by it; I guess it did give me a weird sense of satisfaction though.

For what its worth I loved that dog long after I lived with my parents and never let him eat my poop since. He was always happy to see me whenever I came home for years after. I have no desire to do this to any animals in the future, although I do want to own dog of my own sometime soon.

uh

wow

ok

quote:

When I was 17 I started dating a 14yo. It was absolutely not out of malice or predatory intent on my part, I was just an immature teenage loner too excited that A Girl was being nice to me to realize that she was too young for me. We made out a couple times but never did The Sex. Eventually I learned she was lying about my age to her parents, which sparked the introspection in me that eventually led me to stop seeing her after a year.

12 years later I can't stop thinking about how skeevy it was. I've had a couple flings but no serious relationships, mostly because I'm afraid I'll find myself doing some other toxic thing, and because I hate myself for it. For her part, I contacted her years later to apologize (she was 23) and she laughed it off and basically told me it was a non issue. Still, I dunno. I just feel like no matter how kind, thoughtful, considerate I am, that it's all just a front and I'm secretly an evil gently caress on the inside, and I dunno if I can live like that.

Am I completely overblowing an utter non-event?

Honestly yeah

I remember being in high school and talking about how skeevy it was that a senior was dating a freshman (that guy was pretentious as hell so it's kind of funny in retrospect) but in the long-term, in the big scheme of things, that girl was three years younger than you, man. Three years is not a huge enough difference for you to carry the guilt of it to your grave. If you met her now that'd be basically no difference at all. My wife is more than 3 years younger than me. If it's been twelve years you need to get over this.

Hell, she knows it too. She literally does not care. Just don't date a 14-year-old at your current age and you'll be fine.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

loquacius posted:

Dog poop story

:yikes:

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Wb Morally Inept

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
For the love of loving dog don't get a new dog dogpoop goon. Please. What you're describing is basically beastialisty and isn't good for the dog

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 24, 2017

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Nabokov posted:

When I was 17 I started dating a 14yo.
Am I completely overblowing an utter non-event?

Yeah, 17 dating 14 is no biggie, especially with no sex. It passes the half seven rule.

Of course if you're thinking of plowing a 14yo girl *now*, get help.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

15 and 16 is legal in most of europe so

a 17 year old hoking up with a 14 year old IS still strange though, simply because most 14 year olds are still really childish while 17 year olds are usually starting to reach that adult pleateu

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Fartbox posted:

a 17 year old hoking up with a 14 year old IS still strange though, simply because most 14 year olds are still really childish while 17 year olds are usually starting to reach that adult pleateu

I'd say that if he felt a little weird about it/broke up with her after he found out she was lying about her age, "starting to reach that adult plateau" describes perfectly what was going on there. (The "starting to" is a really important bit.)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The overwhelming majority of states have a "peers" clause that specifically states this is ok. If you are within 3/4 years of the AoC it's not a problem, and I think there's only like 8 states that don't have that.

My girlfriend in High School was 18 when I was 16, it's not weird at all, deep breaths.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 24, 2017

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Bust Rodd posted:

My gf is high school when 18 when I was 16

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I first met my wife in high school. She was a fresh and I was a junior. We didn't start dating for another two years. We were both in the same youth activity.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

loquacius posted:

dog turd goon

Why are you so loving broken?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Fartbox posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that a 17 year old is a fully mature adult :laffo:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anyone under 25 is usually retarded. It's the human condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

bradzilla posted:

Are you seriously suggesting that a 17 year old is a fully mature adult :laffo:

If you can read the subs on a fresh anime rip you can file your loving tax return goddamit.