Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't know that Bakugo has actually grown as a person so much as he no longer has any helpless people to bully in his immediate social circle.

He's basically come to acknowledge Deku and is no longer violently hateful towards him even if they are not and probably will never actually be friends and he has managed to make friends that he appreciates and generally gets along with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Bakugou is the only good character in this manga

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Bakugou's a good character in the sense he's well-written but he's still got an unlikable personality

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

OnimaruXLR posted:

in a less interesting story, Bakugo would just be a Malfoy-esque "gifted prodigy who gets shown up by the hard working underdog" character.

Have you ever realized that Harry is actually the jock

He constantly breaks the rules for his own gain and has the rules broken for him, he becomes the best sportsman in the school in his first year, the only one in the school that doesn't like him is a greasy weirdo who hangs out in the cellar with his fat friends

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tbf draco's still a huge bigoted shithead

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is Bakugou Vegeta?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bakugou is allowed to win important fights so no, he's not vegeta

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Terper posted:

Have you ever realized that Harry is actually the jock

He constantly breaks the rules for his own gain and has the rules broken for him, he becomes the best sportsman in the school in his first year, the only one in the school that doesn't like him is a greasy weirdo who hangs out in the cellar with his fat friends

he's also hella rich and wants to grow up to be a cop

basically harry sucks

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

blizzardvizard posted:

Bakugou's a good character in the sense he's well-written but he's still got an unlikable personality
I think that's the entire idea. Bakugo is going to be Deku's number two, and unlike All Might, Deku is going to build connections that makes him a better hero even if he's individually weaker than All Might was in his prime. He can't be Deku's Endeavor if you don't hate him a little.

I don't know if he'll actually end up weaker than All Might, part of me expects a "And this is what it's like to go beyond plus ultra" moment late in the manga.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Brother Entropy posted:

he's also hella rich and wants to grow up to be a cop

basically harry sucks

nah he and ron are the cool guys of school

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I also like that Bakugo is really smart too and one of the highest scoring students because his whole things is being perfect and the best not just a gifted fighter. I always liked that scene in the first chapter of him chastising his friends for offering him a smoke in case it jeopardises his school application.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

tbf Bakugo felt threatened by the guy he wrote off as doomed to obscurity before he got awesome powers.
Bakugo before Deku got OfA: "Stop trying to help me, it's throwing how I judge my self-worth out of whack".
Bakugo after Deku got OfA: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I recall Horikoshi saying somewhere that he kinda regrets how detestable he made Bakugou in the first chapter with him telling Midoriya to commit suicide and all that.

The reason a lot of people really like Bakugou in the fandom though is a developing relationship he has with a character that ISN'T Midoriya though. It's where you see his biggest changes and you've already seen it in the anime. Bakugou's changes are so slow you almost don't notice them.

Remember that this guy liked NOBODY and didn't tolerate working with ANYONE right off. He instantly blows Iida off to go fight Midoriya in the battle trial. Go back and check out how he starts tolerating company/cooperation and whom he doesn't blow up on over the series- it's pretty subtle.

I'm not really trying to "sell" the guy but if he's frustrating, he does change and a LOT of serious stuff happens. Now if you want someone who HASN'T really changed that everyone hates there's Mineta.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 24, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mineta is the Chaotszu of the series, but he's better because his failures make me laugh.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mineta doesn't need to change. He's a one note comic relief character and there's no pretence otherwise. Bakugo's the main rival so he needs to have character development.

Mineta's not a good one note joke character but he's executed better than most of the ways people say "Mineta sucks", which is like the lowest bar to clear so not saying much.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Mineta is the Chaotszu of the series, but he's better because his failures make me laugh.

I don't like mineta but that is honestly really unfair to him

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah probably. Chaotszu is in a sad, sad class all by himself.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chiaotzu's track record is something like 3 fights, 3 losses, 2 deaths, 1 suicide across the entirety of dragon ball. he hasn't even showed up in super that I can remember

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax
The same people calling Mineta problematic and disgusting are going to go masturbate to big anime titties later anyway so whatever.

I think Mineta is a pretty ok.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Mineta actually makes me laugh which is more than I think I can say for any other comedy relief character in manga

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sarcophallus posted:

The same people calling Mineta problematic and disgusting are going to go masturbate to big anime titties later anyway so whatever.

It's fun to have a character to hate.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Sarcophallus posted:

:thunk:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sarcophallus posted:

To correct that a lot of the people I see complain about him endlessly drool over the boys' half the locker room scene and draw tons of yaoi fanart of the also-underaged male characters.

Mineta is pretty annoying IMO, but he's not as gross IMO as say Master Roshi or Meliodas.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
He isn't too bad. It does help that every time he does something that really crosses the line he is punished quite harshly.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Mineta's definitely in the lower tier of characters for me, but thanks to him I get to laugh at this dumb picture every time I think about it.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Mercury Hat posted:

Mineta's definitely in the lower tier of characters for me, but thanks to him I get to laugh at this dumb picture every time I think about it.

That is the most beautiful MHA cosplay I've seen.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fabricated posted:

Mineta is pretty annoying IMO, but he's not as gross IMO as say Master Roshi or Meliodas.
I just wish he was as good as Jiraiya.

But then Mineta doesn't have 'traumatised child soldier who fought in genocidal ninja wars' to explain his development and doesn't really make sense in UA.

We're all going to miss Mineta when he sacrifices himself in one of the late chapters and all they have left of him is a couple of those grapes rolling around though. Deku is going to hold up his severed balls as a monument to the evil of villains.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
crazy how much people dislike the perverted teen in this shounen manga, made in japan

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

that boy has more cosplays of mha ppl (and other animes)

https://www.instagram.com/strykerkun/

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
A mans horny dream... will never die!

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Nonexistence posted:

Yeah bakugou is a great character, he's a great foil for midoriya and you rarely see such an unrelenting rear end in a top hat antisocial overachiever played straight as a good guy. The fact that he never makes the stereotypical shonen deuteragonist turn of being defeated by the protagonist and becoming a neutered best friend cheerleader and he had a "uh oh might join the bad guys" arc and told them to gently caress off with 0 hesitation or temptation says so much about the series being importantly self-aware and subverting tropes.

The best part of that was Eraserhead being asked straight up at that press conference if there was a danger of Bakugou being turned by the villains and his response being they have no idea what drives him if they think he's not 100% serious of becoming the top hero and a lot of his attitude is from his overwhelming drive to that goal. Then his mom telling Eraserhead that what made her confident in UA was that speech since it meant he understood her son past just giving him shallow praise because of his abilities like everyone else.

Bakugou kinda sucks as a person but the comic definitely stresses that behind his bluster he's calculating and when he trusts an ally to succeed he is willing to allow them to support him or even save him (although he\is pride can't allow him to admit it).

Hunt11 posted:

He isn't too bad. It does help that every time he does something that really crosses the line he is punished quite harshly.

His best moment is when he plummeted in the official character poll and was drawn screaming.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Kild posted:

that boy has more cosplays of mha ppl (and other animes)

https://www.instagram.com/strykerkun/

Relevant to current discussion.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bakugos biggest problem is he is over the top but still really boring.

An impressive feat, but not that interesting to watch.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Bakugou... boring?????

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

PMush Perfect posted:

Relevant to current discussion.

He should do a junkrat.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Bakugos biggest problem is he is over the top but still really boring.

An impressive feat, but not that interesting to watch.

Ban.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wow it is really difficult not to post in the anime thread right now

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
People in the anime thread are now debating if Bakugou would join the villains. The wait for season 3 is going to kill me.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If only they could find that out

maybe
if there was some sort of novelisation
or a visual novelisation
which is further ahead of the bad anime...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The anime is an extremely faithful adaptation so I don't see why reading the mad manga when they can wait for the bad anime