Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

hackbunny posted:

c++ exceptions have zero overhead... in terms of code that's executed. in terms of code size and extra metadata, though, they can be on the heavy side. you need extra code for unwinding when your stack frame is skipped, but in many (not all cases) you can recycle it for regular scope exit unwinding. but the real overhead is in all the metadata: for each instruction of a function that may be involved in unwinding, what objects need to be unwound at that point of the functions and how (not literally for each instruction, the metadata stores ranges of instructions instead); for each function, how to pop its frame off the stack (often in the form of bitcode that tells you what registers you should pop a stack slot into and so on, basically how to run the function prolog in reverse); enough runtime type information to make a copy of the exception object and match it to the catch statements; etc. if no exceptions are thrown (the expectation), then all of this is completely invisible

setjmp has fixed, guaranteed overhead: you need to save registers and add a conditional to your code. you have to do this every time, regardless of whether exceptions will be thrown or not

windows exception handling is a whole another matter. first of all, it only has overhead on x86, where a parallel exception handler stack is maintained (with the related extra push/pop operations). on all other platforms, the regular stack contains most of the required information, and exception handling metadata supplies the rest (minus local unwinding information - i.e. what objects are in scope for each instruction in a function - which is managed by each compiler on its own, and of course any kind of language- or compiler-specific logic on what exceptions are caught and where). windows exception handling is also asynchronous (i.e. it assumes any instruction can raise an exception) and it has restartable exceptions (exceptions can be "fixed" without being caught so that execution can resume); as a consequence of restartable exceptions, its unwinding is virtual, i.e. it's performed on a shadow stack, and the "hardware" stack is lowered all at once at the end of the virtual unwind. it's a very different beast from the "soft" exception handling featured in c++ and imo it was very stupid of microsoft to base c++ exceptions on windows exceptions: not only the restartability adds a lot of overhead to unwinding, but you can't even reliably use c++ exception handling to catch hardware exceptions (c++ does not assume any instruction can throw, and to assume as much - you can enable it as an option in all major compilers - means goodbye zero-overhead and welcome to a lot more bookkeeping). it was based on the flawed old-school view of c and c++ as "fancy macro assemblers" which hasn't been true in a long time

for the record, I have used setjmp/longjmp, implemented setjmp/longjmp, used windows exception handling, implemented windows exception handling and implemented setjmp/longjmp-based windows exception handling

what's .net any cpu exception handling like in comparison to x86?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

love your effortposts

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

1) https://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp
2) docs of your specific database server

further than that idk, especially without knowing if you want him to be analyst, dba, etl, or whatever

i actually unironically forgot that w3 did non-web stuff

ToadStyle posted:

Code Wars has SQL poo poo if you want to push him to do more than just `SELECT * FROM whatevers WHERE`.
SQL Antipatterns is great, especially if he's going to be designing the DB structure.

i think a few of our "experienced" devs could do with this tbh

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

update to my last post: we did it, here's the Jaguar GPU performing all the calculations necessary to draw a line in any direction and telling the blitter to do it :toot:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my only memory of the jaguar is seeing boxes and boxes of consoles at a KB toys priced at like $20. with nobody buying.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

uncurable mlady posted:

what's .net any cpu exception handling like in comparison to x86?

I have no idea about .net exception handling actually, but it's probably safe to say that, being microsoft, they reused what they already had (at least in terms of know-how), i.e. windows exception handling, despite once again there not being any good reason to do so. there are explicit provisions in windows exception handling for dynamically generated code (unlike mono, .net has never had an interpreter, all code is compiled to native first)

there is one advantage to having a single shared exception handling ABI for all languages, to be fair: uniform unwinding. you can have c++ function butt() that calls .net function fart() that in turns calls c++ function smell(); smell() can throw an exception that's caught in butt(), and all the finally blocks in fart() will be triggered, even if no possible .net catch statement could match the c++ exception. of course you don't need a framework as comprehensive as windows exceptions (which also supports handling things like page faults - the main rationale behind recoverable exceptions - effectively being a much programmer-friendlier version of posix signals) to do so

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 24, 2017

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

akadajet posted:

my only memory of the jaguar is seeing boxes and boxes of consoles at a KB toys priced at like $20. with nobody buying.

i remember boxes of sega saturns at toys-r-us for $50 when i was there buying... some super nintendo game, i don't remember what

i was too busy playing whatever was on the n64 kiosk

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003

hackbunny posted:

all the finally blocks in fart() will be triggered, even if no possible .net catch statement could match the c++ exception
Oh wow that's actually pretty rad.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

same but for virtuaboys

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

hackbunny posted:

c++ exceptions have zero overhead... in terms of code that's executed.

Ah, sorry. I misinterpreted what we were calling overhead here.

I guess I was just thinking about the efficiency of actually thowing/longjmping.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
huh, neat. my only real take on exceptions in .net/Windows in general is that they're slow as poo poo, although the post about windows exceptions might help explain why that is.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

ToadStyle posted:

Oh wow that's actually pretty rad.

I don't know if it's actually legal in the c++/.net case (I'm pretty sure .net specifically stops exceptions at native/managed borders), but it's a common feature of exception handling ABIs. the Unwind abi used on linux and many other oses for example, was explicitly designed to support both c++ and java code on the same stack - the spec itself mentions it

uncurable mlady posted:

huh, neat. my only real take on exceptions in .net/Windows in general is that they're slow as poo poo, although the post about windows exceptions might help explain why that is.

windows exceptions were primarily designed to replace unix signals to handle runtime errors like divisions by zero, page faults etc. whereas unix signals handle errors like those with a single globally set handler function (mirroring how the underlying cpu fault is handled by the kernel), windows puts itself as the handler, and then uses structured dispatching to handle faults like they were exceptions

as I mentioned, this adds overhead to unwinding: in the search for an exception handler, you can't unwind the stack (i.e. destroy local variables and lower the stack function by function), because if a handler "fixes" the error and tells you to resume execution, you can't go back, unwinding has irreversibly destroyed the information that you needed to resume execution. so what you do is walk the stack with a virtual unwind (you only pretend to lower the stack, by running a miniature cpu emulator with its own emulated stack pointer, that executes function prologs in reverse), and you call handlers to look for a catch or resume; when you find a catch statement, you do another virtual unwind to call the cleanup handlers (e.g. finally blocks or c++ destructors of local variables), and then you copy the virtual context to the hardware context to resume execution at the catch statement

... but it also adds overhead to throwing! since the exception handling system is designed to handle cpu faults, it requires a trap frame for each throw, i.e. a copy of all cpu registers pushed on top of the stack. this has non-trivial overhead

in comparison, the Unwind ABI is much, much simpler: a throw immediately starts unwinding, lowering the stack until the next frame with an exception handler; that exception handler either resumes execution at an appropriate catch site, or it unwinds to the next frame with a handler; and so on, recursively, until an appropriate catch (or the bottom of the stack) is reached. nothing is pushed on top of the faulting frame, which becomes immediately inaccessible: any information about the throw site must be captured in the exception object (think for example the stack backtrace in Java), or it's lost forever. for this reason, Unwind ABI exception objects are heap allocated and must have a destructor. in comparison and contrast, windows exceptions are stack allocated on the throw site and can't have a destructor - it's perfectly legal and expected to just point to all pertinent information on the live stack, since it remains accessible and untouched for the whole duration of unwinding. this is visible at a high level too: on c++ compilers that use windows exceptions as the underlying mechanism, exception objects are always copied at least once, as they are stack-allocated at the throw site, and then copied to the catch site (with a little imagination, though, you can very easily implement Unwind-like heap-allocated exceptions)

another non-obvious source of overhead is that, if a debugger is currently attached to the process, exceptions are raised with a syscall instead of simply pushing the registers on the stack and calling the dispatcher (originally, exceptions were always thrown with the system call, regardless of whether a debugger was present or not, adding even more overhead)

hackbunny fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 24, 2017

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
oh boy my first "real" rust hobby project i put out there is getting used and people are commenting on it. now i get a whole new class of people to disappoint with my programming

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I’m writing a pretty “basic” (log reservation and cleaning blocks in overprovisioned space) flash translation layer for an SSD and I have a new appreciation for these stupid devices

Implementing garbage collection and wear leveling in a way that you don’t trash performance or your NAND erase cycles is tricky, and I haven’t put a restriction on my bookkeeping memory yet

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

this is mostly spot-on but i want to clarify that libUnwind also supports resumable exceptions and so also does a two-phase search. in fact that's also required with non-resumable exceptions for compatibility reasons, because for whatever reason throwing an exception without a handler historically hasn't actually unwound the stack before calling std::terminate (the c++ standard allows this, it's unspecified). we had problems with that in llvm for awhile because we were trying to emit destructors in a way that made the frame essentially catch and rethrow, and that's not actually semantically correct

also unlike the windows unwinder, libUnwind basically isn't allowed to have any persistent state during unwind. this is because it doesn't have any persistent stack storage — it only has stack frames during calls to _Unwind_RaiseException or _Unwind_Resume, which it has to exit in order to enter a function to run cleanups or handlers — and the only persistent heap storage it gets is the exception object, which can be thrown multiple times simultaneously because of std::exception_ptr. so e.g. it can't remember anything it learned during the search phase and use that when unwinding, or at least it has to degrade cleanly when the exception object becomes shared

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

gonadic io posted:

oh boy my first "real" rust hobby project i put out there is getting used and people are commenting on it. now i get a whole new class of people to disappoint with my programming

hey congrats!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

ok I've got a fresh blank slate graduate minion who knows no SQL, what's the least bad resource for teaching them poo poo?

unfortunately the approach I had of "get given all the dbo passwords by the lead developer and go hog wild" is no longer viable

if they have like a CS background you could have them read the original EF Codd paper about the relational model. i read it as an undergrad and i remember it still being super readable even though some of its terminology now sounds old-fashioned. a warning here is that if they read it then go hog wild learning relational algebra, you might have to bring them down back to earth about how joins work in the real world

Lutha Mahtin fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 25, 2017

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LinYutang posted:

Opengl is truly hell

A programming language that can only be debugged by literally throwing poo poo at the screen

open graphics library is not a programming language

hope this helps

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hey we did it, 3-dimensional transformation on the jaguar

the matrix multiplication isn't done on the GPU yet though...

here it is with a transparent object in front of it courtesy of my broken font rendering

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
serious question: why does exception handling performance matter?

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gonadic io posted:

that's great!

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

because it makes using exceptions for flow control a better or worse idea

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the cost of actually throwing an exception matters if you need to throw an exception. if the overhead of throwing an exception is very high — because it allocates a lot of memory, or runs a lot of dormant code, or just takes a long time — then you have to take that into account when writing code whose performance matters

but even if you never throw an exception, the language implementation generally has to make sure that, if you had, it would have worked. in many languages, that is a pervasive cost, even in functions that don't do anything explicit with exceptions. depending on the language implementation, this might add a lot of code (most of it dormant), or introduce a lot of dynamic checks, or require a lot of dynamic bookkeeping. sometimes this can be controlled or eliminated, e.g. by promising to never throw an exception dynamically; otherwise, it's just an overhead you have to live with, unless you can change language implementations, and you may need to find ways to ameliorate it in the code whose performance matters

of course if none of your code's performance matters, then nothing that affects your code's performance matters

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
oh and of course it matters to people either implementing or trying to exploit the implementation of a language

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

eschaton posted:

open graphics library is not a programming language

hope this helps

glsl and arb are though

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i hate it when there's some computer science word that i dont understand and it scares me and then i finally learn what it means and it's simple

today's word is isomorphic

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

it basically just means "equal" (not identity, but value equality)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i hate it when there's some computer science word that i dont understand and it scares me and then i finally learn what it means and it's simple

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
EDIT: nevermind

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

lancemantis posted:

same but for virtuaboys

I managed to get a Virtual Boy during the firesale in 1997, along with several games, it was pretty cool

it doesn't work now because of the display connection adhesive breakdown problem from which they all suffer, but theoretically it should just be a matter of re-positioning and re-adhering it

I wonder what all the hardware was capable of that nobody got to try

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

rjmccall posted:

this is mostly spot-on but i want to clarify that libUnwind also supports resumable exceptions and so also does a two-phase search. in fact that's also required with non-resumable exceptions for compatibility reasons, because for whatever reason throwing an exception without a handler historically hasn't actually unwound the stack before calling std::terminate (the c++ standard allows this, it's unspecified). we had problems with that in llvm for awhile because we were trying to emit destructors in a way that made the frame essentially catch and rethrow, and that's not actually semantically correct

yeah that's how I thought it worked too!

rjmccall posted:

also unlike the windows unwinder, libUnwind basically isn't allowed to have any persistent state during unwind. this is because it doesn't have any persistent stack storage — it only has stack frames during calls to _Unwind_RaiseException or _Unwind_Resume, which it has to exit in order to enter a function to run cleanups or handlers — and the only persistent heap storage it gets is the exception object, which can be thrown multiple times simultaneously because of std::exception_ptr. so e.g. it can't remember anything it learned during the search phase and use that when unwinding, or at least it has to degrade cleanly when the exception object becomes shared

isn't there an extra argument that's passed around, other than the exception pointer? or am I remembering wrong

btw how is your support for windows exceptions nowadays? a long time ago I even downloaded the clang source code to see if I could do something but I have to lol at myself and my naivety because - leaving aside how complex a compiler frontend is - it turned out that (iirc) libunwind exceptions are baked in llvm itself

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

gonadic io posted:

cool. what does it do??

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
You'll never find out. If it's cool enough that people are commenting on it then he probably doesn't want to be associating it/himself with some dead gay Goatse and Beecock Internet Forum.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

my stepdads beer posted:

cool. what does it do??

https://github.com/djmcgill/form
it separates out nested inline modules into the proper directory structure. so takes one big auto generated file (in my case generated using svd2rust) and turns it into the proper "form" to use as an actual library

mostly it's just a little script that im using to learn how rust logging/deploying/error handling works, it's real overkill for a lovely little file manip like that

ToadStyle posted:

You'll never find out. If it's cool enough that people are commenting on it then he probably doesn't want to be associating it/himself with some dead gay Goatse and Beecock Internet Forum.

im very out on this forum

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 25, 2017

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Powaqoatse posted:

it basically just means "equal" (not identity, but value equality)

isn't isomorphic usually used in the category theory sense in computer science? ie `f(g(x, y)) = g(f(x), f(y))`

or i guess you could be talking about the dumb as poo poo 'isomorphic javascript' usage

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yes. it means there's a back-and-forth correspondence that preserves all relevant structure. so the informal sense is "functionally the same as, even if there's some unimportant difference"

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

hackbunny posted:

isn't there an extra argument that's passed around, other than the exception pointer? or am I remembering wrong

yeah, so before the unwinder re-enters a frame (at a "landing pad" instruction mentioned in the unwind table), it first sets a couple of registers that act as parameters to the landing pad. one of these is just the exception pointer, and the other is a "selector" value which tells the landing pad why it's been re-entered. if you have

C++ code:
  std::string title = ...;
  try { set_title(title); }
  catch (int i) {}
  catch (float f) {}
then the unwind table will say that the call to set_title has a handler for int and a handler for float, and that regardless there are cleanups (to destroy 'title'). during the search phase, the unwinder will ignore the existence of cleanups and just check whether the exception is handled. assuming a handler is eventually found, during the unwind phase the unwinder will always re-enter this function (because of the cleanup), and it'll set the selector value to one of the three possibilities: that we're catching an int, that we're catching a float, and that we're just here for the cleanups. the code in the landing pad then just trusts the selector value and dispatches appropriately

when a function is re-entered just to run cleanups, it's not allowed to just return, it has to eventually call _Unwind_Resume (assuming it doesn't just abort or spin). _Unwind_Resume doesn't care about the selector value, it's just going to keep unwinding out of this function. it's not technically illegal for the call to _Unwind_Resume to itself have unwind actions in the current function but it probably means something went wrong in the compiler because landing-pad chaining doesn't work that way: you need the unwind table entries for the original call to accurately describe everything that the function might do in response to the exception, because otherwise the unwinder has the right to completely skip the function. that means that e.g. inlining has to be smart about landing pads and vice-versa

conversely, when a function is re-entered to handle an exception, it's not allowed to call _Unwind_Resume, it has to eventually actually handle the exception (which involves calling back into libUnwind) and then maybe re-throw it while it's being handled

note that if a function just has handlers that don't apply to the exception, it never gets re-entered at all

also note that a lot of what i just said is not actually about libUnwind itself. the exception tables for a function come in two parts, the part interpreted directly by libUnwind is just some primitive information about the stack frame and then a pointer to a "personality function" that knows how to interpret the rest of the table. it's the personality function that decides whether it needs to re-enter a function and is charge of conventions like writing the exception pointer and selector into certain registers. basically libUnwind passes it the frame's saved register state, and the personality messes with that and then tells libUnwind whether it should resume here or keep going

hackbunny posted:

btw how is your support for windows exceptions nowadays? a long time ago I even downloaded the clang source code to see if I could do something but I have to lol at myself and my naivety because - leaving aside how complex a compiler frontend is - it turned out that (iirc) libunwind exceptions are baked in llvm itself

for c++ exceptions, it's pretty good, but yeah, we ended with basically two completely different eh representations on the two platforms. the people working on it really wanted to use a common representation but ultimately decided that the requirements were just too different. e.g. it's a lot harder to optimize code using windows exceptions because the c++ runtime expects cleanups to be structured in a very fiddly way, or so they tell me

for seh i think it's still pretty hand-wavey because llvm ir does not have any way to represent that a load or store or divide can start an unwind

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

hell yeah i generate rotation matrices on the 26MHz jaguar dsp now instead of the 13MHz 68k

it's pretty slow though for some reason, probably because i'm not good at writing code for weird one-off risc architectures

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Writing Fast GPU and DSP Programs posted:

Wait states are incurred when:
(...)
after a store instruction with an indexed addressing mode (one tick)
(...)

hmm, probably shouldn't do this to fill a matrix then

code:
	addq	#4,MATRIX_OFFSET
	store	FIXED_ZERO,(MATRIX_OFFSET+PTR_MATRIX)	;[1][0]
	addq	#4,MATRIX_OFFSET
	store	FIXED_ONE,(MATRIX_OFFSET+PTR_MATRIX) 	;[1][1]
	addq	#4,MATRIX_OFFSET
	store	FIXED_ZERO,(MATRIX_OFFSET+PTR_MATRIX) 	;[1][2]
	addq	#4,MATRIX_OFFSET
	store	FIXED_ZERO,(MATRIX_OFFSET+PTR_MATRIX) 	;[1][3]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

rjmccall posted:

yeah, so before the unwinder re-enters a frame (at a "landing pad" instruction mentioned in the unwind table), it first sets a couple of registers that act as parameters to the landing pad. one of these is just the exception pointer, and the other is a "selector" value which tells the landing pad why it's been re-entered.

quote:

_Unwind_SetGR

[...]

The behaviour is guaranteed only if the function is called during phase 2 of unwinding, and applied to an unwind context representing a handler frame, for which the personality routine will return _URC_INSTALL_CONTEXT. In that case, only registers GR15, GR16, GR17, GR18 should be used. These scratch registers are reserved for passing arguments between the personality routine and the landing pads.

oooh now I get what you meant

rjmccall posted:

also note that a lot of what i just said is not actually about libUnwind itself. the exception tables for a function come in two parts, the part interpreted directly by libUnwind is just some primitive information about the stack frame and then a pointer to a "personality function" that knows how to interpret the rest of the table. it's the personality function that decides whether it needs to re-enter a function and is charge of conventions like writing the exception pointer and selector into certain registers. basically libUnwind passes it the frame's saved register state, and the personality messes with that and then tells libUnwind whether it should resume here or keep going

sure, SEH works exactly the same. I have written my own personality functions for SEH frames

rjmccall posted:

e.g. it's a lot harder to optimize code using windows exceptions because the c++ runtime expects cleanups to be structured in a very fiddly way, or so they tell me

well, for one, you have to make a closure around all variables that might be affected by an unwind visual c++ on x86 elegantly sidesteps the issue by just loading the original ebp lol. or do you mean you actually use msvcrt (and its abi) on windows and you have to structure code exactly like visual c++ because :wtf: I figure at some point it must be simply less effort to just write your own libc (fake edit: yep you do :monocle: hats off, that's no mean feat)

rjmccall posted:

for seh i think it's still pretty hand-wavey because llvm ir does not have any way to represent that a load or store or divide can start an unwind

I hadn't realized that clang never had -fasynchronous-exceptions. scratch my earlier "all major compilers" then

• Locked thread