Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thankfully the drive face is aluminum and the crankshaft is steel. I initially had a panic attack when I thought the crankshaft splines wore down, but they were just caked in a shitload of powdered aluminum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've seen a burgman 400 destroy the crank splines (steel) thanks to a loose variator nut making the variator cones flop around exactly like that. I suspect the horsepower/weight difference contributed though, plus the guy just ignoring the noise instead of stopping and checking the way you did.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Put a bolt back in that was missing when I bought it. Going to have to take it back out and loctite it when I find my tube of loctite. Destroyed a 3/8 to 1/4 adapter in the process. Then I rode the big bastard through the mountains. Got snowed on a tad. Thighs are cold.

Think I may have a viciously tight-spotted chain, there's a noticeable and rhythmic *hitch* when I'm off power. Either that or a wheel bearing is hosed. Goddamn it I just replaced the chain and sprockets on my old bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Set the chain tension. The sssa made that an easy job.

Set the suspension. No compression damping adjustment possible on the Futura. Disappointing. I guess I need to get Falco R forks and... what legitimate adjustable rear shocks work on a RST mille?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

I've seen a burgman 400 destroy the crank splines (steel) thanks to a loose variator nut making the variator cones flop around exactly like that. I suspect the horsepower/weight difference contributed though, plus the guy just ignoring the noise instead of stopping and checking the way you did.
Just FYI for anyone messing with a CVT at home, because I've seen this before several times, when you're tightening down the front pulley nut the belt has to be TOTALLY LOOSE on that pulley.

You may need to force open the rear pulley and ziptie the belt in such a way that it stays open or something like that. The crucial point is that when the front pulley nut tightens down, it must tighten down on the metal pulley halves and spacers, and NOT tighten down on the belt at all. If the front pulley halves are squeezing the belt when you tighten that nut, bad things will happen such as was posted above.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is probably exactly what happened. I tried to get the belt as loose as possible but I probably didn't do it well enough.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
maintenance on the Duke390

oil change - changed the filter and the two screens
Check tire pressures
adjust and oil chain

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Rode for a couple hours today, got back and the entire right side was covered in oil, as well as my leg and boot:

There was a little pool just below the spring, where I guess it has been dripping off of it. Had a little look around, no idea where it's come from yet. :shrug:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Seems like your shock pissed itself?

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Yeah thinking about it, I did hit this completely unexpected bump at like 80 that sent me flying on the A12. Completely came off my seat and footpegs.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Picked up some kinda puncture on the rear tire on my nx250. Spotted it just dropping off the trash after leaving the cabin. Filled it up with foam, grabbed the manual foot pump at the cabin and set it correct pressure(1.5 bars) and rode the 100 miles home cheching the tire pressure periodically. It had dropped from 1.50 bar to 0.6 after the first 20 miles, but after i hit it with a little more foam + filled it back up to 1.5 it stayed there for the rest of the trip. Didn't see any nails it it or the like so will be interesting to see where the leak is. I thiink it might have been that bigger than expected rock at the edge of one of the river crossings just near the cabin the day before. Got a new tube waiting for tonight.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Went to my friend's house to replace my chain and sprocket. Did you know you have to clean and oil chains!? For the first ten thousand miles of my bike, I didn't!

The mechanic has a "tree of shame" where he hangs badly treated parts like condemned men. We added mine to the list and then looked over the offerings.

Of course, my sprocket isn't the worst thing hanging from that tree. This owner's complaint? "The bike doesn't go above 30."

My new chain and sprocket. I forgot they were that color :v:

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

What's your tire pressure set to?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

GriszledMelkaba posted:

What's your tire pressure set to?

Also, is there oil in the oil pan? :v:

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'll have you know I have a machine that puts air in my tires and I checked it...some weeks ago. As for the oil, I already learned about that, in the form of a DR650 I rode in for a check up because it was "squeaking": No oil, and no lobes on the cam shaft neither.

Actually, I forgot to take a picture of it, but when I was done putting my bike back together after changing the chain and sprocket (and spark plug and air filter) I have a couple of bolts left over; I need to take the bike apart again to see what they're for. Man that sounds awful now that I''m saying it out loud.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'll have you know I have a machine that puts air in my tires and I checked it...some weeks ago. As for the oil, I already learned about that, in the form of a DR650 I rode in for a check up because it was "squeaking": No oil, and no lobes on the cam shaft neither.

Actually, I forgot to take a picture of it, but when I was done putting my bike back together after changing the chain and sprocket (and spark plug and air filter) I have a couple of bolts left over; I need to take the bike apart again to see what they're for. Man that sounds awful now that I''m saying it out loud.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have a couple of bolts left over; I need to take the bike apart again to see what they're for.

Jack B Nimble posted:

:siren:BOLTS LEFT OVER:siren:

uh....

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You make it sound so serious, based on their design I think they're for a fairing piece that is also held by a clip and an overlap from two other fairings and the headlight. Probably.

Ok I'll pull it apart after work today.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

weight savings, nbd

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

I don't understand the big deal with this, all the coolest bikes get rid of bolts all on their own anyways.

tjones
May 13, 2005
If you've never found extra bolts/screws/washers/conrods after wrenching I'd say you haven't been wrenching long enough.

At least for me, it is when you don't recognize the bolts or don't have a clue where they go that you should begin to worry.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I just tell myself they came from something else and I'm only noticing them now that I'm looking for them.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I usually lose a nut or two and have to spend ages looking for them or have to get a replacement. Now I know where they are going! :argh:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yeah I've never found extra bolts either, only extra holes.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Take a piece of cardboard, punch bolts/fasteners through cardboard and use marker/pen to label where they were removed from as they come off the bike. Works better for me than trying to keep several little plastic containers full of parts from different areas of the bike separate.

tjones
May 13, 2005

Jazzzzz posted:

Take a piece of cardboard, punch bolts/fasteners through cardboard and use marker/pen to label where they were removed from as they come off the bike. Works better for me than trying to keep several little plastic containers full of parts from different areas of the bike separate.

This is pro advice and beats egg cartons all day.

If you have a big enough piece of card board, trace the cover/part you are taking apart 1:1 and push the fastener though at the exact location it would be on the part after cleaning it and noting next to its place if it needs loctite or anti seize.

Makes assembly a breeze.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Well, my mind is blown. That's a great idea.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I did that cardboard thing when I was rebuilding my CL350 and it was an excellent idea. I haven't done it since because I'm lazy but yeah, do it.

My favorite thing is when you get a "rebuild kit" online and it says it comes with all the parts that you need to do some job, and then you do it, and at the end there are like two unused O-rings and a copper crush washer left in the kit and you didn't take any parts like that out and you absolutely cannot figure out where they're supposed to go. So you're sitting there going insane trying to figure out if the kit just included extra parts, or if they're meant for a slightly different model, or if the DSPO hosed around with this part before and left the O-rings out, or if the exploded view in the manual is drawn incorrectly, or if you missed a step somewhere, or aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I have the opposite problem where gasket sets don't come with all the seals/gaskets and the ones that aren't included are invetiably the ones that always leak/crumble to dust. The bullshit round plug in the head of an LS650 engine is the biggest culprit: always leaking, never available.

Or the problem seemingly unique to ancient hondas: the base or head gasket stud spacing isn't quite the same as the actual engine and you have to modify the gaskets.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Glanced over the sprocket covering, took the fairings off, the seats, lifted the gas tank and peered underneath. Nothing; there's nowhere for these bolts to go. Goodbye thread, I'm already dead.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

I did that cardboard thing when I was rebuilding my CL350 and it was an excellent idea. I haven't done it since because I'm lazy but yeah, do it.

My favorite thing is when you get a "rebuild kit" online and it says it comes with all the parts that you need to do some job, and then you do it, and at the end there are like two unused O-rings and a copper crush washer left in the kit and you didn't take any parts like that out and you absolutely cannot figure out where they're supposed to go. So you're sitting there going insane trying to figure out if the kit just included extra parts, or if they're meant for a slightly different model, or if the DSPO hosed around with this part before and left the O-rings out, or if the exploded view in the manual is drawn incorrectly, or if you missed a step somewhere, or aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I had this when I bought a barbecue last month, some extra screws of a type that weren't even in the build instructions. Best guess is it's more expensive to confirm the exact right number of components (and only the correct components) are in the pack than to merely be certain the pack contains at least everything you need.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Renaissance Robot posted:

I had this when I bought a barbecue last month, some extra screws of a type that weren't even in the build instructions. Best guess is it's more expensive to confirm the exact right number of components (and only the correct components) are in the pack than to merely be certain the pack contains at least everything you need.

Funnily enough I had an almost identical problem with a barbecue but instead they had given me one bolt that was 2mm bigger than all the nuts in the pack, so like the good bodger I am I just epoxied the whole thing in place. Apparently at the factory they just weight the parts bag (which is of course filled by machine) to confirm if there's enough stuff in there. If it's overweight they don't really care and just assume another bolt fell in.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Slavvy posted:

I have the opposite problem where gasket sets don't come with all the seals/gaskets and the ones that aren't included are invetiably the ones that always leak/crumble to dust. The bullshit round plug in the head of an LS650 engine is the biggest culprit: always leaking, never available.

Or the problem seemingly unique to ancient hondas: the base or head gasket stud spacing isn't quite the same as the actual engine and you have to modify the gaskets.

The crusty old mechanic at work showed me how to make custom gaskets in about two minutes. Place sheet of gasket material over thing that needs gasket, with a couple dabs of RTV to hold it in place. Tap perimeter of design with the peen of a ball-peen hammer, and it cuts your gasket automatically, and perfectly to fit. It'll 99% transfer and perforate bolt holes, but won't cut stuff smaller than 3/8" or so.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That's about how I made an oil injection pump housing gasket out of a cereal box.

Spoilers: It isn't oil tight

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The crusty old mechanic at work showed me how to make custom gaskets in about two minutes. Place sheet of gasket material over thing that needs gasket, with a couple dabs of RTV to hold it in place. Tap perimeter of design with the peen of a ball-peen hammer, and it cuts your gasket automatically, and perfectly to fit. It'll 99% transfer and perforate bolt holes, but won't cut stuff smaller than 3/8" or so.

Yeah this works great when the seal in question isn't a non-standard diameter rubber cup or some such nonsense.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Cut the groms legs off.

I did some trail riding and the bike handled it pretty drat well, but I was bottoming out a lot. I figured I would try some thicker oil in the forks. Hit some trails after and it didn't bottom out ~as much~ but I'm going to add a little more over what the stock level was and see if it helps before I go with an even thicker oil.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The headlights on the groms are really good looking. drat.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Buhbuhj posted:

Cut the groms legs off.

I did some trail riding and the bike handled it pretty drat well, but I was bottoming out a lot. I figured I would try some thicker oil in the forks. Hit some trails after and it didn't bottom out ~as much~ but I'm going to add a little more over what the stock level was and see if it helps before I go with an even thicker oil.

There are Ohlins and Racetech spring kits for Groms that aren't ridiculously expensive (until you realize how much they cost relative to the cost of a Grom) that are supposed to work wonders. Other people just put spacers in the forks to jack up the preload

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
You can't use spacers with the new forks but it's not really a big deal. I'm not gonna go crazy trying to turn the thing into a dirtbike. I'll thrash on the stock stuff till it's wrecked and then look at replacing it with something better.

next day edit: i added a small amount of oil and was able to sneak about 2mm of preload on the rod since there was enough thread at the end to safely raise the cap. Feels better already.

GabbiLB fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 8, 2017

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Figured 20,000 miles was enough on the stock chain and sprockets. Front sprocket nut was a real pain to get off, and I managed to put another scratch in the black cheese they made the swingarm out of. :flaccid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
After a year and 10k flogging the daylights out of it, I sold the 690 SMC for everything I have into it, including consumables and insurance and maybe gas. New owner really appreciates every little thing that has been done to it, and even is excited about using the harlequin vinyls. :D

Oh yeah and I also picked up this cute little guy for a great price. The owner and I hit it off so he even gave me 4(!) VIP Patron hospitality passes to the Petite LeMans this weekend. We all had fun getting wined and dined all weekend, and enjoyed the race.

It's so cute. I even love the white 2nd gen fender. The slight red flake in the side paint looks good with the slight white flake in the fender. Great bike, though the seat is the worst seriously.