Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Only if they are prepared to accept the corruption of their bodily fluids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
The electric garage door opener was invented in 1926, dang. That might be among the earliest, definitely depending on how you count it. I guess you could count "Mr. Watson, come here, I want you" as an intercom. Do speaking tubes count? The kitchen bell system?

e: does it have to be inanimate? Spit dogs? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnspit_dog

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Sep 23, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The earliest home automation was the self-feeding fire.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Na it was marriage :smug:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Update on the realtor/flipper next door. We agreed to go halfsies on tearing up and repaving our shared driveway. The idiots he hired left a huge bump at the sidewalk and paved over my downspout exit, plus they left a shitload of loose asphalt in my yard. And they broke a couple pickets on my fence.

So why are you going halfsies again?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

NancyPants posted:

I don't think he is anymore. I know I wouldn't be.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

NancyPants posted:

So the neighbor can actually only pay a little bit to half rear end it and then pocket the difference.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

NancyPants posted:

Oh I stopped payment on that check as soon as I got home and saw what they did.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

Anne Whateley posted:

I don't understand why remote-control lightswitches (not wifi, just like regular remote controls) aren't more of a thing. It seems like it could've been done like 40 years ago.

They're out there but they're not enough of a thing to have the best appearance and features. Here are a few at Lowes. I'm looking for something to power a pair of lamps at my father's house and he's not interested in smart features. I would rather have a remote and cradle (like a lot of ceiling fans) instead of a fob but for under $20 I can deal with it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I picked up a little remote outlet like that for a lamp that's on the other side of my bedroom, great purchase.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Was digging some trenches at my folks place and all I could think of was this thread. Keep in mind this is all temporary while they get the funds together to build a proper house, and this is not where they live.

They have a line coming in from the meter box to a sub board in the middle of the property. They are running a single extension cord from this to the 6*3m shed where they have their kitchen/bedroom. There is 3 different power boards all daisy chained together running a fridge, microwave, a bunch of lights and some other random shite like a kettle and radio. Off this is another extension cord running to the other shed where they have another fridge, a tv and a bunch more lights. Off this is another extension cord running over the driveway to a 3rd shed where it powers the reticulation system.

Im amazed the place hasnt burnt down.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

kid sinister posted:

the illegals

I know you're trying to make a point, but don't do this.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Alereon posted:

Most people have both chlorinated water and intact plumbing.

Legionella is pretty resistant to chlorine, so you still have to keep your water heater hot.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

glynnenstein posted:

Legionella is pretty resistant to chlorine, so you still have to keep your water heater hot.
This is a common but extremely dangerous misconception. Here's an FAQ on Legionnaire's disease from OSHA that specifically recommends against raising your home water heater temperature to combat Legionella. It's important to note that Legionella doesn't easily grow in residential plumbing systems, most cases are found in hospitals and other institutions with large, poorly maintained systems. There are up to 50,000 cases of Legionnaire's disease per year in the US. Hot tap water burns account for around twice as many hospitalizations every year, and children and the elderly are most vulnerable to such burns. Getting people to turn down their water heater set temperature to no higher than 120F is a huge public health win and we shouldn't undermine that without good reason.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose
Huh? That FAQ you posted says

quote:

Maintain domestic water heaters at 60°C (140°F). The temperature of the water should be 50°C (122°F) or higher at the faucet.

It literally says the exact opposite of what you are saying, but it does caution you to avoid making your water too hot and just live with the risk of Legionnaires iif you have small children you worry about burning. Or to install an anti-scald device.

I'd much rather have a burn than an actual disease.

TheBananaKing fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 23, 2017

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alereon posted:

This is a common but extremely dangerous misconception. Here's an FAQ on Legionnaire's disease from OSHA that specifically recommends against raising your home water heater temperature to combat Legionella. It's important to note that Legionella doesn't easily grow in residential plumbing systems, most cases are found in hospitals and other institutions with large, poorly maintained systems. There are up to 50,000 cases of Legionnaire's disease per year in the US. Hot tap water burns account for around twice as many hospitalizations every year, and children and the elderly are most vulnerable to such burns. Getting people to turn down their water heater set temperature to no higher than 120F is a huge public health win and we shouldn't undermine that without good reason.

Getting rid of bath tubs would be the sensible way to tackle this epidemic of hot water burns.

Drape Culture
Feb 9, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.

The End.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Getting rid of bath tubs would be the sensible way to tackle this epidemic of hot water burns.

Just get some of those taps with blue and red LEDs in them to indicate the water temperature.

I went to a flipper's open house once and those faucets were one of their selling points that they actually felt was important enough to point out in the MLS listing.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

TheBananaKing posted:

It literally says the exact opposite of what you are saying, but it does caution you to avoid making your water too hot and just live with the risk of Legionnaires iif you have small children you worry about burning. Or to install an anti-scald device.

I'd much rather have a burn than an actual disease.
It provides those steps that you can use to prevent Legionnaire's disease in home hot water systems, then specifically states below that you shouldn't because the risk of burns is more serious than Legionnaire's disease. I'm not sure why you think a burn requiring hospitalization is better than a disease but you're wrong.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alereon posted:

It provides those steps that you can use to prevent Legionnaire's disease in home hot water systems, then specifically states below that you shouldn't because the risk of burns is more serious than Legionnaire's disease. I'm not sure why you think a burn is better than a disease but you're wrong.

Stop digging. You aren't going to win this.

It is trivial to install a mixing valve or any number of other measures to prevent scalding while still holding a DHW tank at a safe temperature. Such things are very often required by code in TYOOL 2017.

TheBananaKing
Jul 16, 2004

Until you realize the importance of the banana king, you will know absolutely nothing about the human-interest things of the world.
Smellrose

Alereon posted:

I'm not sure why you think a burn requiring hospitalization is better than a disease but you're wrong.

Getting a burn sucks terribly, but unless you are cranking your heater well beyond 140F and also aren't taking any precautions to lower the temp before it hits the faucet I don't see how an adult is getting a burn that requires hospitalization from this. If you have kids over and you know your water comes out scalding and you haven't done poo poo to correct this then you are a sadist.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Motronic posted:

Stop digging. You aren't going to win this.

It is trivial to install a mixing valve or any number of other measures to prevent scalding while still holding a DHW tank at a safe temperature. Such things are very often required by code in TYOOL 2017.
Look at it like this: the presence of overly hot water in your water heater and pipes is probably around 10X as dangerous as the potential presence of Legionella bacteria. You can control those dangers through various means, and in correctly designed new-construction or recently overhauled systems it's possible to make an informed choice that it's safer to run your water heater at a higher temperature. In general though, it is much more preferable to run at a maximum of 120F per normal guidelines to prevent scalding burns. You have a relative mis-perception of the risks of Legionnaire's disease versus scalding burns that makes you afraid of Legionnaire's disease when you should actually be afraid of burns. I don't know what I can do to prove this to you other than showing you statistics about how vastly more common serious tap water burns are than Legionnaire's disease.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Alereon posted:

Look at it like this: the presence of overly hot water in your water heater and pipes is probably around 10X as dangerous as the potential presence of Legionella bacteria. You can control those dangers through various means, and in correctly designed new-construction or recently overhauled systems it's possible to make an informed choice that it's safer to run your water heater at a higher temperature. In general though, it is much more preferable to run at a maximum of 120F per normal guidelines to prevent scalding burns. You have a relative mis-perception of the risks of Legionnaire's disease versus scalding burns that makes you afraid of Legionnaire's disease when you should actually be afraid of burns. I don't know what I can do to prove this to you other than showing you statistics about how vastly more common serious tap water burns are than Legionnaire's disease.

Why not both? You get the horrible burn, but you did the shower heater incorrectly, so the compromised tissue gets bathed in Legionella tainted water!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alereon posted:

Look at it like this: the presence of overly hot water in your water heater and pipes is probably around 10X as dangerous as the potential presence of Legionella bacteria.

Yeah and a person is more likely to be shot with their own gun than they are to be the victim of a homicide by any other means.

The statistics are buoyed by idiots.

The solution is to not be an idiot. Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Alereon posted:

In general though, it is much more preferable to run at a maximum of 120F per normal guidelines to prevent scalding burns.

This is at the TAP not at the tank. You keep missing that detail. And the TANK will need to be sized larger for the same usage if you drop it that low.

Lowering this temperature outside of the tank is a $60 part that you sweat into the two pipes that by definition are already coming out of your hot water heater. It's something that is routinely done during a DHW heater replacement or as a retrofit in homes with children.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The solution is to use knobs with temperature labeled and not just little red and blue arrows or crystal balls.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

If I want to scald myself AND get a disease, what temps should I be going for?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

This is at the TAP not at the tank. You keep missing that detail. And the TANK will need to be sized larger for the same usage if you drop it that low.

Lowering this temperature outside of the tank is a $60 part that you sweat into the two pipes that by definition are already coming out of your hot water heater. It's something that is routinely done during a DHW heater replacement or as a retrofit in homes with children.

I will be replacing my hw heater soon and now have a small child, what is this part I should be adding

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Platystemon posted:

Yeah and a person is more likely to be shot with their own gun than they are to be the victim of a homicide by any other means.

The statistics are buoyed by idiots.

The solution is to not be an idiot. Don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater.
Well, if you are an idiot you are both 1/ unlikely to have the self-reflection to realize that you are and 2/ not have a way to simply make yourself smarter. Part of the reason we design things to resist idiots is that they are not good at self-selecting themselves out of situations they are not competent to handle. So you can try not to be an idiot, but its also reasonable to accept that you might be one despite your best intentions and apply solutions to prevent you hurting yourself just in case.

I mean probably half of any safety program is simply preventing people who think they know what is going on doing stuff that will kill them when they are wrong.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Alereon posted:

It's not a misconception at all. The dangerous types of legionella bacteria are rare and it's not something you need to actively worry about unless you're in the business, but you do need to maintain a safe range of domestic hot water temperature. Chlorine is insufficient alone; innumerable cooling towers test positive while being hammered with enough chlorine or bromine to treat a thousand homes.

I've had to take hours and hours of training on legionella because I'm a building engineer and it's the latest concern because of the big outbreak in NYC cooling towers a couple years ago; I know more about this crap than I ever wanted to. I maintain 125 degrees at work on the domestic system (hot enough to prevent colonies reproducing) and test periodically at susceptible locations and of course my cooling tower. If my building were older, bigger, or had positive tests I'd go with 140.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
To be clear, I was talking about home hot water systems where Legionella doesn't like to live. The larger building systems with cooling towers where Legionella thrives are definitely the place to be worrying about it.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
120 degrees is also nowhere near hot enough to make for a comfortable shower that lasts more than five minutes, especially if you have a real showerhead and not some water-saving dribble nozzle.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

It's not a misconception at all. The dangerous types of legionella bacteria are rare and it's not something you need to actively worry about unless you're in the business, but you do need to maintain a safe range of domestic hot water temperature. Chlorine is insufficient alone; innumerable cooling towers test positive while being hammered with enough chlorine or bromine to treat a thousand homes.

I've had to take hours and hours of training on legionella because I'm a building engineer and it's the latest concern because of the big outbreak in NYC cooling towers a couple years ago; I know more about this crap than I ever wanted to. I maintain 125 degrees at work on the domestic system (hot enough to prevent colonies reproducing) and test periodically at susceptible locations and of course my cooling tower. If my building were older, bigger, or had positive tests I'd go with 140.

Stop making poo poo overcomplicated. Just build a hotwater tank into your granite basement, and sterilize your water by bubbling radon through it.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Alereon posted:

To be clear, I was talking about home hot water systems where Legionella doesn't like to live. The larger building systems with cooling towers where Legionella thrives are definitely the place to be worrying about it.

Residential isn't really any different. Chlorine alone is still insufficient and you have to maintain a safe hot water heater temperature. At least hot enough to stop reproduction is a minimum. Stagnant legs around seldom used fixtures (a guest shower, utility sink, etc.) are the areas in a house where legionella can grow and become a problem.

Leocadia
Dec 26, 2011

Alereon posted:

Keeping residential hot water systems at 65*C / 149*F isn't just about legionella. No one bothers to clean their tank and if you've ever had to fill one up you'll notice the water will run brown at the taps for a little while until all the particulate settles in the tank. If you were to do a heterotrophic plate count you would get results for c. diff, e. coli, all sorts of poo poo - including literal poo poo. The high temperature pasteurizes the water and then a thermostatic mixing valve is super cheap and easy to install either at the hot water outlet or just up stream of point of use to reduce scalding risks. It's usually a bad idea to rely on chlorinated water as you need 2ppm at the outlet to be sure of reducing the CFUs (not eliminating) and the further you are from point of chlorination the less chlorine you'll actually see.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

brugroffil posted:

I will be replacing my hw heater soon and now have a small child, what is this part I should be adding

Thermostatic mixing valve/tempering valve: http://www.watts.com/pages/learnAbout/temperingValves.asp?catId=

Here's a really expensive one (because sharkbite and Home Depot): http://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBite-3-4-in-Brass-Heat-Guard-160-Thermostatic-Mixing-Valve-24530/204498197

Anyone in the trade or who has access to a real plumbing supply store can get one that will service an average home's hot water heater for $60 with sweat on fittings. Add a T and a couple inches of copper and you're done as far as parts.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 24, 2017

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

glynnenstein posted:

Residential isn't really any different. Chlorine alone is still insufficient and you have to maintain a safe hot water heater temperature. At least hot enough to stop reproduction is a minimum. Stagnant legs around seldom used fixtures (a guest shower, utility sink, etc.) are the areas in a house where legionella can grow and become a problem.
The difference is that you work on systems that are very easy for Legionella to colonize, almost perfect. You need to take extreme measures to keep it from growing and knock out any colonies found. Home water systems are not suitable for Legionella so normal chlorine levels from tap water will kill it, especially in a water heater tank. If you have well water and your water heater is 15 years old and rotting out you have more to worry about.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

tangy yet delightful posted:

But enough about England.

You joke but this was the case in at least one house I lived in growing up in London. It was a really nice development of townhouses sandwiched between two council tower blocks in Swiss Cottage. The back garden wall for the two or three houses closest to the one tower block had bits of broken glass embedded in cement atop the brick.

kid sinister posted:

Wasn't DC built on a swamp? How did that not become a festering mold pit? I mean the river isn't that far away.

No, this is a common misconception but DC was not built on a swamp. Some neighborhoods in the 19th century were built with extremely inadequate drainage (apt for this thread) so they became swamp-like after people started living there.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 24, 2017

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

drgitlin posted:

You joke but this was the case in at least one house I lived in growing up in London. It was a really nice development of townhouses sandwiched between two council tower blocks in Swiss Cottage. The back garden wall for the two or three houses closest to the one tower block had bits of broken glass embedded in cement atop the brick.

It was a joke based on living there years ago!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

drgitlin posted:

No, this is a common misconception but DC was not built on a swamp. Some neighborhoods in the 19th century were built with extremely inadequate drainage (apt for this thread) so they became swamp-like after people started living there.

A lot of the mall and SW was marsh. It was mostly drained over the 19th century. I posted about it somewhere once. I'll see if I can find it.

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531615&pagenumber=1082&perpage=40#post475431996

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

glynnenstein posted:

A lot of the mall and SW was marsh. It was mostly drained over the 19th century. I posted about it somewhere once. I'll see if I can find it.

e: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3531615&pagenumber=1082&perpage=40#post475431996

glynnenstein posted:

True, but a marsh is not a swamp. And yes, the waterfront is quite different now because East Potomac Park was a land reclamation project. But I live in SW DC and it's very not-swampy, and neither was NW DC. Even Swampoodle wasn't really a swamp, just crappy construction. Really, my point is that they didn't decide to build the city on a gigantic swamp, because that would have been completely ridiculous, even by the standards of the time.

#taxationwithoutrepresentation

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 24, 2017