Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I've never really been interested in replaying any of the Souls games. It's more fun for me to just treat them as a wall I have to overcome and then go "phew. that was tough" instead of really going for mastery. I did replay most of Dark Souls 2 though because that one's really easy and simple and not much of a wall to begin with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

klapman posted:

I've never really been interested in replaying any of the Souls games. It's more fun for me to just treat them as a wall I have to overcome and then go "phew. that was tough" instead of really going for mastery. I did replay most of Dark Souls 2 though because that one's really easy and simple and not much of a wall to begin with

that's fine, but i've played the series over and over for hundreds of hours and have no desire to stop.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

sector_corrector posted:

that's fine, but i've played the series over and over for hundreds of hours and have no desire to stop.

*sector_corrector invades me and uses their hundreds of hours of experience to effortlessly defeat me over and over again*

I'm actually totally fine with this. I don't care if I win or lose, it's more about the journey for me. Mom I need a new controller from GameStop

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

klapman posted:

*sector_corrector invades me and uses their hundreds of hours of experience to effortlessly defeat me over and over again*

I'm actually totally fine with this. I don't care if I win or lose, it's more about the journey for me. Mom I need a new controller from GameStop

lol, i'm actually pretty bad at PVP. idk what it is.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

same. i need to replay dark souls 1.

id really like to replay demons, i pray they rerelease it somehow

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

e quote is not edit

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

extremebuff posted:

same. i need to replay dark souls 1.

id really like to replay demons, i pray they rerelease it somehow

i bought a PS3 basically as a demon's souls machine, tbh

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
I'd really love to play Demon's Souls again now that I've beaten the rest of them. It'd probably be pretty easy but I've got a serious score to settle with that game. I got it when I had a real bad case of laryngitis and couldn't leave my room for two weeks and it was a real struggle to get anywhere even with all the free time I had. I think it took me like 6-7 hours just to beat 1-1, and I ended up having to restart twice with different characters. It's a pretty fun memory.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

i bought a PS3 basically as a demon's souls machine, tbh

i only had demon souls on my ps3 until dark souls came out, and then once the pc version released i sold the ps3 lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

klapman posted:

I'd really love to play Demon's Souls again now that I've beaten the rest of them. It'd probably be pretty easy but I've got a serious score to settle with that game. I got it when I had a real bad case of laryngitis and couldn't leave my room for two weeks and it was a real struggle to get anywhere even with all the free time I had. I think it took me like 6-7 hours just to beat 1-1, and I ended up having to restart twice with different characters. It's a pretty fun memory.

I spent 8 hours trying to beat 1-1 as well. After I got like 15 hours in and a few more levels in I started a new character and beat 1-1 in like, 60 minutes. Thats when I knew I would love the game, and that style of game, forever

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the other souls games were far more restrictive with your progress, for better and worse (e: you couldnt dart to an OP magic sword in the first hour of the game) but drat it felt good to rerun it and crush a game that initially had me pulling my hair out

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
2-1 really kicks your rear end and it's super funny for them to throw the miner guys with their resistances at new players. Good memories of DeS ~

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

demons threw a lot of weird poo poo at you that always kept you off balance. dark souls games are way more conventional (especially 3). hell the only regular feeling levels in des were 1-1, 1-3 and 1-4 with a normal enemies like knights, archers and bigger scarier knights.

everything else was like a series of different nightmares

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

I spent 8 hours trying to beat 1-1 as well. After I got like 15 hours in and a few more levels in I started a new character and beat 1-1 in like, 60 minutes. Thats when I knew I would love the game, and that style of game, forever

I did a similar thing but dark souls was my first. I wanted to make a rogue-style character and managed to make all of the worst possible decisions about stat distribution. I killed Andre somehow and couldn't upgrade anything. I still made it to O&S but i didnt have anywhere near the skill to beat them with a base weapon and thought it was impossible but I decided to give the game one more chance. Started as a knight, cleared almost to gargoyles without dying and started on the path to 25+ playthroughs

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

extremebuff posted:

demons threw a lot of weird poo poo at you that always kept you off balance. dark souls games are way more conventional (especially 3). hell the only regular feeling levels in des were 1-1, 1-3 and 1-4 with a normal enemies like knights, archers and bigger scarier knights.

everything else was like a series of different nightmares

I see this as a common theme across the whole series. I guess this is a lovecraftian thing originally but the way souls and bloodborne ESPECIALLY blend relatively normal looking areas that we feel familiar with into greater and deeper nightmarish monstrosities is amazing. The bloodborne dlc perfected this, instead of just feeding us an origin story they let us experience it backwards. Video games are awesome

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

In Training posted:

I still have the area leading up to the red-eyed spear knight burned into my memory after like 8 years lmao. My friend has a copy so I think I'm gonna try and borrow it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

klapman posted:

I still have the area leading up to the red-eyed spear knight burned into my memory after like 8 years lmao. My friend has a copy so I think I'm gonna try and borrow it

I could probably draw a map of it right now

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

TFW you finally defeat Phalanx

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
started DS3 again today. i'm doing that thing where BB has made me play a lot differently, and now i'm completely loving terrible. i actually died to gundyr. it started making me mad at myself, so i have to come back to this later.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
when you think you beat the boss but then there's a second form

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

In Training posted:

I could probably draw a map of it right now

gave it a shot, someone with the game please confirm

e: I think the enemy at the top of the stairs kicks a flaming barrel down at you. IDK if that was this game but it happens somewhere

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

goferchan posted:

Lol

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

Lmao

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

I did a similar thing but dark souls was my first. I wanted to make a rogue-style character and managed to make all of the worst possible decisions about stat distribution. I killed Andre somehow and couldn't upgrade anything. I still made it to O&S but i didnt have anywhere near the skill to beat them with a base weapon and thought it was impossible but I decided to give the game one more chance. Started as a knight, cleared almost to gargoyles without dying and started on the path to 25+ playthroughs

My first dark souls experience was dying in the graveyard for 3 hours before finding out I could go somewhere else. I looked up a wiki at the two hour mark and couldn't find what they were talking about so I just kept dying to skeletons.

Dec 26, 2012

goferchan posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

lmao

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Boyfriend just bought a used PS3 just so he could play demons souls

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

tell hm to get ni no kuni too

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Fungah! posted:

tell hm to get ni no kuni too

Ive never heard of this, what makes it good?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

its a studio ghibli rpg made by level-5 and its one of the best rpgs ever made

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i feel like if embers didn't restore your HP bar in DS3 then people wouldn't constantly run through levels with 3 phantoms, and when you invaded they'd be more interested in actually fighting you

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
like... i don't understand the mindset. you're playing a game where you (at most) lose 4 minutes of progress if you die. just fight the invaders...

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
The worst possible case scenario is you get invaded -> die in the fight -> ember again immediately (why) -> get invaded and die again losing all your souls. Even then, the only time I've ever lost a huge amount of souls has been when I'm being really really cocky and holding on to like 100k early on in the game. At that point, hell, if I lose it it's my fault

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

klapman posted:

The worst possible case scenario is you get invaded -> die in the fight -> ember again immediately (why) -> get invaded and die again losing all your souls. Even then, the only time I've ever lost a huge amount of souls has been when I'm being really really cocky and holding on to like 100k early on in the game. At that point, hell, if I lose it it's my fault

yeah... just don't run around embered. why do you even want phantoms to fight the regular enemies with? furthermore, why put down your summon sign at the bonfire instead of the gate?

i also ran into a guy with 2 phantoms today who had chaos pyromancies and NK armor in the undead settlement, which was a real loving headscratcher.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's worth remembering that 90% of the people who game are afraid of challenge. Not being facetious or mightier than thou...it's the truth

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

klapman posted:

gave it a shot, someone with the game please confirm

e: I think the enemy at the top of the stairs kicks a flaming barrel down at you. IDK if that was this game but it happens somewhere

i think it was a boulder.

here's my shot at the area before. also it's rotated 90 degrees from yours because you oriented yours in a weird way. i didn't give myself enough space...

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

PleasingFungus posted:

i think it was a boulder.

here's my shot at the area before. also it's rotated 90 degrees from yours because you oriented yours in a weird way. i didn't give myself enough space...

I got to the point I was trying to map and I was so insanely wrong it's unreal. None of those rooms are circular and I completely missed a hallway that leads to the rest of the level. I'm so ashamed

Yours is much, much closer to the actual game. drat I didn't drill this game into my head enough as a kid...

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
huh, die 5 times shamefully to crystal sage, kill abyss watchers in 1 try with almost no effort... go figure

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
"hey we need 2 more enemy types for this level"
"how about a big armored humanoid enemy with infinite poise and a 0 point turn smash attack that has tracking"
"ah!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

"hey we need 2 more enemy types for this level"
"how about a big armored humanoid enemy with infinite poise and a 0 point turn smash attack that has tracking"
"ah!"

this is all of ds2