Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

God I hate Paypal. Hey you dicks, Valve isn't sending you a physical check, you can give me my money back now.

lol I think my one and only refund sat in PayPal for like a week before they gave me my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

GUI posted:

I tried Satellite Reign for 30 minutes and it's pretty lame, how can the supposed spiritual sequel to Syndicate 1993 have worse death animations and sound design? Guns in that game sounded like death machines and enemies would drop dead in a pool of their own blood. Guns in Satellite Reign sound like pop guns and enemies kind of lifelessly rag doll to the ground, and that's ignoring how they're all bullet sponges.

My girlfriend started a sort of book club for gamers thing a year or two back and that was one of the games we did. We forced ourselves to play as much of it as possible. I want to love that game, but... it was unendurable.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Red Bones posted:

That game is really fun! I like how you can take enemies off of the random encounter table permanently by finding and beating their stand users, it's a really cool way to fit the mechanics with the setting.

I really enjoyed how the game has this (ending spoiler for the game and for various jojo parts) whole metaplot thing going on for how the game's entire plot is the result of the universe trying to make sense of two different extremely powerful stand abilities that are affecting one another in an unintended way, resulting in the universe of 7th Stand User happening where the universe has become like a computer that is desperately trying to reboot and correct and salvage everything in existence in a way that makes sense and doesn't cause reality to break even further.

I was really vague there because I didn't want to spoil it too in-depth, but if you read that and want to know explicit spoilers including spoilers for part 6 then the stand that is causing time to speed up, to the point that the universe will "reset" after time has reached a point in reality where a statistical copy of the universe with the same history will occupy the very same space as the current one does when time first started to speed up, is interfering with another stand that allows the user to freeze the universe in place, remove themselves from it temporarily, and view all of life as if it were a film strip, being able to not only view exactly what is happening in the present and what happened in the past, but also being able to view the keyframe of the future, said keyframe becoming set in stone and being unavoidable. The result of these two mixing is that when the film strip freeze happens, it happens at a time when the universe has sped up so much that all of time has become one. The film strip no longer represents a linear time but rather a zoetrope of repeating frames that has gone so fast that it is like you are staring at one blurred frame representing all of history. Because whatever is viewed becomes a universal truth, it "overrides" the increasing time speed and reality ends up attempting to compress all of this time into one area, centralized around a 1980s trip from Japan to Egypt following the adventures of a varied cast of stand users known as the Stardust Crusaders. However,
because all of reality has blurred into one picture, this means that the person who removed themself from history to view the blurred photo of all of time compressed into one frame is, themself,
also pictured in the frame. This cannot possibly be as this stand power dictates what happens in the universe. Them appearing there means that they aren't properly excised from the universe proper, but then that raise the question of who is the one who gets to view this frame. The answer is you, the player. You are the one playing the game, you have become the 7th Stand User, the universe has created you to fill in a gap for the sole purpose of fixing this poo poo. You go into it being able to make choices that will drastically affect the outcomes of things while having already known what will and won't happen. You are like an antibody that has been generated in an attempt to fight off this paradoxical disease that the universe is now experiencing.
You, the player, are the 7th Stand User, and it is you who got to view the world through this singular animated blurred frame of reality caught in this seemingly neverending Part 3. You need to fix it.

The story is properly Jojo as gently caress and I'm glad for it. The dev did a really good job of taking that feeling of something seemingly innocuous in theory (or at the very least, something seemingly standard) and twisting it to its logical extremes.

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Sep 24, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StoryTime posted:

Yes, Stellaris allows for the utopia/federation building end of the sci-fi spectrum as well. Then again, you might end up next to the terminator machine race whose only objective is to scour the galaxy of organics. It's possible to meet factions in that game where diplomacy is literally not an option, you just can't access those screens with them.

It's arguably more enjoyable to be peaceful in Stellaris, since the combat part is honestly kinda bad.

Yes, but on the other hand, conquering another race and then gerrymandering those little bastards is forever satisfying.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
drat Hollow Knight is a blast when you have all your movement abilities. This is the first game I've played since KH2 where acquiring your movement options straight up makes it a much better game.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Red Bones posted:

And similarly, most of the countries are feudal monarchies or despotic monarchies or similar, and as far as I could figure out, changing your country into a republic is way far down the technology list, like a couple of centuries into the game.

you don't want to be a republic, republics suck

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Nina posted:

drat Hollow Knight is a blast when you have all your movement abilities. This is the first game I've played since KH2 where acquiring your movement options straight up makes it a much better game.

SteamWorld Dig 2 is the same way.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

you don't want to be a republic, republics suck

:yeah:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I played HOI4 for the first time in 10 months this weekend and it's amazing how little they've fixed about that game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

homeless snail posted:

lmao, the brick pod in heat signature is really good, ramming it into the side of a ship destroys a room and leaves a gaping hole that you can spacewalk into. most mission types you can skip 90% of the level by just strategically opening up the room next to the target, jumping in immediately grabbing/shooting the thing and jumping back into your pod and flying away

Goddamn I totally ignored this game popping up on my feed because it looks ugly but that amazing trailer sells it as Hotline Miami + relatively hard sci-fi boarding action. And I'm sold.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GUI posted:

I tried Satellite Reign for 30 minutes and it's pretty lame, how can the supposed spiritual sequel to Syndicate 1993 have worse death animations and sound design? Guns in that game sounded like death machines and enemies would drop dead in a pool of their own blood. Guns in Satellite Reign sound like pop guns and enemies kind of lifelessly rag doll to the ground, and that's ignoring how they're all bullet sponges.

It's more of a Syndicate Wars thing but the game gives a bad first impression with its terrible tutorial. Once you get out of there and ditch your starting weapons you get poo poo plasma throwers, rocket launchers, mini-guns, and thermo-nuclear grenades that leave massive craters behind. This is in addition to your stealth ninja snipers, drone controllers, and having an army of a dozen mindjacked goons acting as bullet sponges.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Playing the first Gunvolt and it seems a bit easy on Normal but Hard mode looks like too much of a pain in the rear end and I'm kind of glad of it since the tagging system makes me constantly feel like I'm playing the game backwards.
There's gotta be a better way of getting their story across though other than covering a third of the screen in dialogue boxes while you're trying to play, including during boss fights where they cover most of the attacks. You can turn them off at least but drat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it sucks cause some of the dialog is actually pretty hilarious because the boss' personalities are super exaggerated in goofy ways

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
One other thing about the Oddworld presentation at EGX I wanted to bring up, was that I was trying to remember when exactly Lorne had brought up something like this before. Like I was trying to remember which interview it was where he was bringing up secret orders and then I found it:

quote:

Nathan: (from Leonardo Munzlinger) In Stranger, how do the Gloktigi disappear and reappear; is it technology or mystical?

Lorne: That would be occultism.

Nathan: So there’s Industrial occultism as well as the Native spiritualism?

Lorne: Very, very ancient occultism. This gets in to more mystical practices within that controlling elite. The Industrials, at the highest levels, are actually still connected to their ancient roots, but in a more diabolical way. They’re not shamanic, but more demonic. They engage in more ritualistic practices that are dark. The Gloktigi (note: the last syllable is pronounced ‘guy’, not ‘gee’), their guards have supernatural origins, more like genies in the classical Arabian sense. Concocted and controlled, like summoning demons. They’re sort of genetics mixed with occultism.

That’s why I really want to make the movies, so I can go in to the real depths of craziness of what is going on, even if it’s just for a scene and you go “What the gently caress was that?!”, where they’re sacrificing Mudokons and spreading their innards out on the table to get signs to do stock forecasting. I really want to mix it up.

That’s because when I was in the NY art world, encountering circles of dealers, collectors, and institutions; some of the richest people in the world, I was stunned to learn that at this level there are elements who operate with occultism very much still in their ways. It was a profound wake up call. So in the Oddworld mythos, it is within the oldest and most powerful families, that dark ancient practices thought to have long been extinct and dismissed as superstition, are secretly still very much alive – but hidden behind the doors of the ultra-sophisticated.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

That presentation was cool but idk if Oddworld really needs a crafting system shoehorned into it

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
8 hours of Automata and I've just realized I don't need to hold the evade button to make 2B run :doh:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

I played HOI4 for the first time in 10 months this weekend and it's amazing how little they've fixed about that game.

It's really bizarre how absolutely little they've done with it. I really liked a lot of the core parts of the game but there's just so many odd issues that have been in since launch they've never done anything about.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I'm riding a train back home after a little weekend trip and for the last 4 hours the person sitting next to me has been playing some horse breeding mmo, is this even real life.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
no way are they seriously playing noted goon project horse world online lmao

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't know the name of the game but there was a screen with horses to choose from for breeding and there was some farm(?) management screen and then actually controlling the horse in 3D riding it with other people. I didn't look too closely so some of those observations might be wrong/come from other games launched when I wasn't looking.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

my new OP heat signature strat: find the structural weakpoints in the ship and plant breaching charges on them, and now your target is just hurling hopelessly through space while you leisurely work your way through the debris

you can do the same thing by hijacking another ship and shooting missiles at the target, but its a lot less precise

this game is real good lmao

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Training posted:

I played HOI4 for the first time in 10 months this weekend and it's amazing

:)

In Training posted:

how little they've fixed about that game.

:(

I played a bunch of it on release and thought it was pretty good. It was the right level of detail that I didn't feel too lost. Maybe I've just put too many hours into Paradox games over the years and I don't have room for them anymore. I have bought almost every EU4 DLC because of sales but I haven't played a campaign of it since 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My kitty, everyone. :3: He is a two year old male cat named Spud.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sup Spud

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

StoryTime posted:

Yes, Stellaris allows for the utopia/federation building end of the sci-fi spectrum as well. Then again, you might end up next to the terminator machine race whose only objective is to scour the galaxy of organics. It's possible to meet factions in that game where diplomacy is literally not an option, you just can't access those screens with them.

It's arguably more enjoyable to be peaceful in Stellaris, since the combat part is honestly kinda bad.

untrue. it's actually incredibly bad

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Spud is a good boy

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Spud's got some big ears.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i might be restarting final fantasy legend with the wonderswan version, because on top of having the option to choose what magic your mutants randomly get and what they keep, i kind of hosed up building my mutant with strength instead of agility

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Spud looks very cute, and also looks like he has a penis on his nose

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

SpudPudTM

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I said come in! posted:

Spud is extremely ugly I love him

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Neko Atsume VR is more realistic than I expected

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me

I said come in! posted:

those eyes! :3:

Guavatin
Mar 30, 2017

I think my tongues trying to kill me
Finished Steamworld Dig today. Fun little game that I racked up around 5 hours in.

2nd one all purchased and ready to go!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I honestly didn’t think Mario + Rabbids would be as good as people were saying, I’m glad to be wrong.

Plus it’s a console Xcom game that doesn’t run like poo poo.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

I honestly didn’t think Mario + Rabbids would be as good as people were saying, I’m glad to be wrong.

Plus it’s a console Xcom game that doesn’t run like poo poo.

it freezes fairly frequently when i'm running around the overworld or using tacticam to scan a map, but other than that it's pretty solid yeah.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I preordered Danganronpa V3 tonight! Whose else has?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Grouchio posted:

:whitewater:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This has been a good month for turn-based tactics. I really enjoyed MRKB but the XCOM2 expansion definitely has its hooks in me in a way that the former never did. Rabbids is good for short bursts (Perfect for the Switch) but XCOM is a thing where I suddenly look up and realize I've been playing for four hours straight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Grouchio posted:

I've read an LP of the second DangitRonPaul game but have no interest in playing them myself. I'm not much of an adventure-text game person.

• Locked thread