Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

monolithburger posted:

Vic bias, gutless MRP etc etc

I know you're only saying what NTRabbit was gonna say, but loving lol if anyone expected him to miss the granny with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I still find it funny that Cotchin was cleared. Almost a 2005 Barry Hall situation.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don’t think it’s anywhere near as bad as the Hall one, but he would have been at least fined during the season. I don’t care though, you shouldn’t miss a GF over that.

Surprised Ellis wasn’t at least fined, though.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
While i dont think there was any malicious intent by Cotchin, he was clearly going for the ball - this should surely be the defence of anyone who is threatened at being rubbed out and have been rubbed out for reckless high contact. Plenty of times the argument has been used that intent is not the deciding factor, it’s reckless high contact regardless.
It’s the correct decision but it’s in no way consistent and is always going to look extra dodgy in grand final week.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Ellis got off? That's the wrong call.

Cotchin not having a case to answer was correct though.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Correct decisions in isolation, outrageous decisions considering precedents set this season

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Ellis deffo should have gone but it would have been a joke if Cotchin had been suspended. The irony of course is that he should have been suspended for punching someone and ended up getting a fine for it.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
hey thread.
I'm going to a grand final.
That's a touch exciting.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

pkid posted:

hey thread.
That's a touch exciting.

Enjoy man, it's a hell of a day.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Since I stopped posting, Richmond have won a qualifying and preliminary final.

I can't have it on my conscience that I would be to blame for the apocalyptic events resulting from a Richmond premiership, so consider this my public service discharge.

Clayton Oliver to finish top 5 in the Brownlow, All Australian selectors are mentally impaired.

Farewell.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

[quote="“pkid”" post="“476736790”"]
hey thread.
I’m going to a grand final.
That’s a touch exciting.
[/quote]

Enjoy, that's a hell of an event regardless.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

pkid posted:

hey thread.
That's a touch exciting.

I hope it ends up being a great day for you pkid!

Solemn Sloth posted:

Since I stopped posting, Richmond have won a qualifying and preliminary final.

I can't have it on my conscience that I would be to blame for the apocalyptic events resulting from a Richmond premiership, so consider this my public service discharge.

Clayton Oliver to finish top 5 in the Brownlow, All Australian selectors are mentally impaired.

Farewell.

Slothy come back
You can blame all on the Dees
Melbourne was wrong
And this thread can't live without you

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
Jayden Hunt will win the longest kick comp, book it

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
You mean sarah perkins will

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SQ50-2/EE

Question, is there an office at the MCG that rents out sherpas and skis, or do I need to bring my own?

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

NTRabbit posted:

SQ50-2/EE

Question, is there an office at the MCG that rents out sherpas and skis, or do I need to bring my own?

This is very similar to the ticket number I got.
Were you also category 7?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

NTRabbit posted:

SQ50-2/EE

Surely you can pick up Port's skis on the way over, now they're not using them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

pkid posted:

This is very similar to the ticket number I got.
Were you also category 7?

Cat 4

Solemn Sloth posted:

Surely you can pick up Port's skis on the way over, now they're not using them.

Good point

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I was in Q2 for the prelim, row U, I didn't think they were too bad

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I guess being further around on the wing than any other cat 4 ticket is balanced out by being at high altitude

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 25, 2017

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
Cotchin getting off is a vintage example of the AFL picking an outcome then working backwards to get there

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
The TAC cup GF ended in pretty much the same way as the VFL GF with a shot missed after the siren to win the game.

Except that the Sandy dragons player was 15m out instead of 52m.

RIP that kids hopes and dreams.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Shmoses posted:

Cotchin getting off is a vintage example of the AFL picking an outcome then working backwards to get there

This but for Ellis

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Periphery posted:

The TAC cup GF ended in pretty much the same way as the VFL GF with a shot missed after the siren to win the game.

Except that the Sandy dragons player was 15m out instead of 52m.

RIP that kids hopes and dreams.

https://twitter.com/MattBalmer7/status/911920674741956608

Yeah, he's not living that one down.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Chairchucker posted:

This but for Ellis

For both

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

and Sloane

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Chifley posted:

and Sloane

Sloane's was two players meeting front on running at each other contesting the ball, Cotchin elected to bump and went past the ball to do it, and with Ellis the ball wasn't even involved.

e: the club doctors have told Shiel he can't travel to the Brownlow because of the concussion too

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 25, 2017

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

Sloane's was two players meeting front on running at each other contesting the ball, Cotchin elected to bump and went past the ball to do it, and with Ellis the ball wasn't even involved.

e: the club doctors have told Shiel he can't travel to the Brownlow because of the concussion too

Do you actually believe that the MRP got both Richmond decisions wrong but the Adelaide one correct? I never can tell what's a joke and what's not in this thread.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Confirmed: Roughie's treatment didn't affect his virility

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Chifley posted:

Do you actually believe that the MRP got both Richmond decisions wrong but the Adelaide one correct? I never can tell what's a joke and what's not in this thread.

Yes, don't you? Sloane was clearly no case to answer, Cotchin was blatantly a fine at an absolute minimum and potentially a week straight up, and Ellis should have been a fine as well. There's not a chance in the world it was anything other than

Shmoses posted:

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009
edit: no need for me to be rude.

Chifley fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 25, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

Yes, don't you? Sloane was clearly no case to answer, Cotchin was blatantly a fine at an absolute minimum and potentially a week straight up, and Ellis should have been a fine as well. There's not a chance in the world it was anything other than

In the regular season, Cotchin and Sloane would have both been charged in some way.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Actually, I think that if Cotchin hadn’t had any incident on Saturday, Sloane would probably have been looked at (fine at the most though).

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I didn't see one single person suggest Sloane's was the worst, and I don't see any argument to support this position.

I can see Cotchin's being the worst based on the fact that he got concussed, and I can see Ellis's being the worst based on the fact that he didn't seem to have eyes on the ball and ran through him. Yes, I think both of these incidents were way worse than Sloane's, and that (particularly given Cotchin was already sitting on two strikes which meant a fine would be upgraded) that neither of them should be playing in the GF, and that Sloane should.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Either way, Cotchin should have been suspended, and the only reason he isn't is because the AFL decided on Sunday for commercial reasons they didn't want him to be

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

I didn't see one single person suggest Sloane's was the worst, and I don't see any argument to support this position.

I can see Cotchin's being the worst based on the fact that he got concussed, and I can see Ellis's being the worst based on the fact that he didn't seem to have eyes on the ball and ran through him. Yes, I think both of these incidents were way worse than Sloane's, and that (particularly given Cotchin was already sitting on two strikes which meant a fine would be upgraded) that neither of them should be playing in the GF, and that Sloane should.

Right, another crows fan thinks the same thing, which happens to be what's maximally beneficial for the crows.

This was one of the things I read about the bumps, just an an example: https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/rory-sloane-incident-more-debatable-than-trent-cotchins-says-afl-legend-leigh-matthews-ng-b88609023z

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

From noted historical VFL thug Leigh Matthews

quote:

Matthews, who has won eight premierships as a player and coach, threw his support behind Cotchin by declaring it would be “bad for the game” is he was suspended for such an incident.

“He’s going for the footy, his hands are down for the football and he ends up with the footy in his hands,” he said on Channel 7.

:thunk:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Sep 25, 2017

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Did Shiel really post that? :sad:

Chifley
Nov 4, 2009

NTRabbit posted:

From noted historical VFL thug Leigh Matthews

:rolleyes:

It was just an example I'd read; I'm not saying that it's a definitive source. I'm not going to compile a list of different quotes just to prove that there wasn't consensus about this issue.

Given you've identified that a violent former player saying Cotchin should get off is of questionable value, perhaps you can also recognise the dubiousness of a crows fan saying that Cotchin and Ellis should both have been suspended, but that Sloane should not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

realbez posted:

Did Shiel really post that? :sad:

Nope

• Locked thread