Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
No, an SBCT isn't designed to tackle enemy armor, but that doesn't mean it can't. An SBCT can hold its own if it plays smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Mustang posted:

NTC doesn't make sense for SBCTs because you can't fight strykers like bradleys and Abrams, which is how the OC teams want you to fight.

An SBCT isn't an IBCT but I think it has more in common with them than they do ABCTs. JRTC seems like it would be better suited for strykers than NTC.

I came from an ABCT originally. I get a little irritated with how we use them here. The guys who came for the IBCT have no idea how to use them. They either completely ditch them at every opportunity or use them as tanks. there's no middle ground.

Edit: ^^^ the Stryker is meant to either quickly go to key terrain and set up a defense or to act as a BDE level reserve.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I went to JRTC in a SBCT.

This was in 2005 though. Things change apparently.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
You know what doesn't change? How motherfucking gay the Army is

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

milk milk lemonade posted:

You know what doesn't change? How motherfucking gay the Army is

So true, so true.

Side note every time I say/remember something from the Army and then afterwards realize how long ago it was, it feels something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVLukeA8EdM

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i think the army fluctuates in its stupidity. like making deployments not count for promotions and poo poo like that.

but it's varying levels of stupid. like slamming your dick in a door vs forced sodomy.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It's really irritating fighting NTC opfor because they engage you from twice your effective range with invisible miles lasers and no signature effects and your OC is like "sir you need to maneuver on the enemy!" while my Platoon hid behind some IV lines and my dismounts pushed out to ID where the tank is that took out one of my strykers.

The only time direct fire engagements worked was when we were in defensive positions and had OPs with javs and AT4s observing obstacles. The jav miles is old and kind of lovely and unreliable though.

There are coils of c wire left all over NTC, I picked that poo poo up and used it all the time, got quite a few opfor and OC vehicles stuck in my obstacles.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

An SBCT can hold its own if it plays smart.

lol

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Mustang posted:

It's really irritating fighting NTC opfor because they engage you from twice your effective range with invisible miles lasers and no signature effects and your OC is like "sir you need to maneuver on the enemy!" while my Platoon hid behind some IV lines and my dismounts pushed out to ID where the tank is that took out one of my strykers.

The only time direct fire engagements worked was when we were in defensive positions and had OPs with javs and AT4s observing obstacles. The jav miles is old and kind of lovely and unreliable though.

There are coils of c wire left all over NTC, I picked that poo poo up and used it all the time, got quite a few opfor and OC vehicles stuck in my obstacles.

it wouldn't be any less irritating if they engaged you close enough to cross swords, tbh

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Thanks for posting about how it's still lovely. Makes me feel good to not be in.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Mustang posted:

Yeah I agree. It's all the Miles game and it's completely unrealistic. Also, people get really trapped into the "well, doctrine and terrain says the enemy will do this, but based on my 50 times being here the OPFOR actually does this"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
My ID card shows my sponsor's status as "RESDEC" even though my wife was on active duty when she passed. This may gently caress me out of certain benefits when I present my ID.

"Sorry, you need to be the survivor of a soldier who died on active duty."

Looks like I get to start digging for a copy of her orders and see if I can get a corrected ID.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

McNally posted:

My ID card shows my sponsor's status as "RESDEC" even though my wife was on active duty when she passed. This may gently caress me out of certain benefits when I present my ID.

"Sorry, you need to be the survivor of a soldier who died on active duty."

Looks like I get to start digging for a copy of her orders and see if I can get a corrected ID.

Here we go again

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Gonna try a different ID card office this time.

Then again, maybe I should go back to Meade. Maybe they’ll try extra hard to avoid another IG complaint.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Well, that's the catch with everything Army. :shrug:

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Mustang posted:

Just got my phone back, my Platoon and company did really good but BN and BDE were pretty bad.

BDE live fire was loving horrible, so slow and boring and took almost 3 days.

It was supposed to take 3 days. The LFX timeline changed over a year ago. It is supposed to be "slow" for platoons since the point is to have time to do proper rehearsals and orders.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

I knew an S4 1LT non-S4 by MOS guy who was both. As we were flying strat air out for deployment, I found him outside with no cover, chainsmoking and talking at a wall.

If by "non-S4" you mean non-logistics, in S4s in many battalions the MOS is supposed to be what the main MOS of that battalion (IN, AR, FA).

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Mustang posted:

They have that range because they are replicating a near-peer. It is not supposed to be fair.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

If by "non-S4" you mean non-logistics, in S4s in many battalions the MOS is supposed to be what the main MOS of that battalion (IN, AR, FA).

I mean we were authorized a loggie by mtoe, had none, so someone else took the role.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 24, 2017

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I know they're replicating a near peer and real weapons, a force an ABCT is much better equipped to deal with. Plus they don't shoot invisible miles lasers with no signature effects.

And for LFX orders process, they pushed the BN order at like 2330, I was woken up at 0030 for collaborative planning with the CO, briefed the order at like 0330, did rehearsals and then did some stupid poo poo for the rest of the day until we LDed that night. Not sure why BDE sat on their order so long.

It took 2 days for us to move 10 km.

It was cool seeing HIMARS, 120mm mortars, and apaches and a 10s blow stuff up though

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

It was supposed to take 3 days. The LFX timeline changed over a year ago. It is supposed to be "slow" for platoons since the point is to have time to do proper rehearsals and orders.

I think when I was a PL, we had a day for planning and the CAR. Then we did a day/night blank and transitioned to live day/night.

This last rotation we did in July they did a day of MDMP, day of Troop level TLPs, then do the scenario in a day and night now. Our TOC jumped onto the range during the LFX for some reason. We jumped so much that our TOC did not function correctly.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Mustang posted:

I know they're replicating a near peer and real weapons, a force an ABCT is much better equipped to deal with. Plus they don't shoot invisible miles lasers with no signature effects.

And for LFX orders process, they pushed the BN order at like 2330, I was woken up at 0030 for collaborative planning with the CO, briefed the order at like 0330, did rehearsals and then did some stupid poo poo for the rest of the day until we LDed that night. Not sure why BDE sat on their order so long.

It took 2 days for us to move 10 km.

It was cool seeing HIMARS, 120mm mortars, and apaches and a 10s blow stuff up though

Well there are two different enemy sets depending on if there is an SBCT or ABCT.

WRT to signatures, well ideally your OCs would call their TAFF or use their tablets to see what was shooting at you and at least give you a general direction.

The BCT staff sat on the order for so long because they probably haven't had enough reps at it plus they had to jump a lot too.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Ashmole posted:

I think when I was a PL, we had a day for planning and the CAR. Then we did a day/night blank and transitioned to live day/night.

This last rotation we did in July they did a day of MDMP, day of Troop level TLPs, then do the scenario in a day and night now. Our TOC jumped onto the range during the LFX for some reason. We jumped so much that our TOC did not function correctly.

TOC probably jumped so they would have comms. They had to jump or they would be destroyed by enemy artillery. It's a training objective to jump a lot.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Hey, is the thread title a quote from an actual post in this thread? I've been looking for like an hour and I can't find it (mobile, so can't use forums search)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

new friend from school posted:

Hey, is the thread title a quote from an actual post in this thread? I've been looking for like an hour and I can't find it (mobile, so can't use forums search)

Yes. It was a post I made about a friend of mine who got out but was still on the roster for his squad. When a new SL showed up he got a text about coming to the company. And the thread title was his answer.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

TOC probably jumped so they would have comms. They had to jump or they would be destroyed by enemy artillery. It's a training objective to jump a lot.

It wasn't mandatory yet. I'm tracking that this recent rotation made it mandatory to jump every 24 hours because of CoS guidance. We did it because we could I guess. We has retrans reaching past alpha pass - every other bn stayed put.

Edit: also, are you an OC now?

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

Well it's still not technically mandatory, it's just reportable if you don't. It's just always been more deadly to stay in one place for a long time.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Units TOCs did some weird poo poo this rotation, like jumping ahead of scouts which are supposed to be the forward line of troops. Or the CTCP deciding that right behind the scouts was the best place to set up. Or retrans strykers driving up on our OPs and being like "the BN XO told us to come here".

It was complete chaos

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Mustang posted:

Units TOCs did some weird poo poo this rotation, like jumping ahead of scouts which are supposed to be the forward line of troops. Or the CTCP deciding that right behind the scouts was the best place to set up. Or retrans strykers driving up on our OPs and being like "the BN XO told us to come here".

It was complete chaos
What the gently caress, all of this

Dude, your brigade is ate the gently caress up.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

It was complete chaos

"appear where you are not expected." - Sun Tzu

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Hey, the US is so effective cause our command structure and movements are confusing as gently caress!!! Let me read this quote from a German spy in WW2:

- 1LT Dipshit

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Mustang, that still sounds smarter than what units at NTC were doing a year or two ago: setting up their TOCs and HHCs in FOB-style circles then wondering what the gently caress happened when a UAS spotted them and they died instantly to an artillery strike.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

The TOC jumping ahead of us and the ctcp staging right behind us both happened within the first 2 days and didn't happen again, so at least they learned from it.

So called "enablers" are hot garbage though. Zero tactical sense, lovely field craft, and complete lack of initiative. They will literally sit in the open during direct fire engagements until you tell them to find cover.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's an old meme but if I have time this week I'm gonna try to splice the 3 frames of the comic from Mustang's av into the tv in the clip below. "...you can pinpoint the exact second his spirit breaks."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tFDsL_mwBY

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

tastefully arranged labia posted:

It's an old meme but if I have time this week I'm gonna try to splice the 3 frames of the comic from Mustang's av into the tv in the clip below. "...you can pinpoint the exact second his spirit breaks."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tFDsL_mwBY

Would it be easier to just make a gif of that moment on frinkiac?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

mlmp08 posted:

Mustang, that still sounds smarter than what units at NTC were doing a year or two ago: setting up their TOCs and HHCs in FOB-style circles then wondering what the gently caress happened when a UAS spotted them and they died instantly to an artillery strike.

Yeah, circling the wagons doesn't really work when the enemy has air support and artillery.

I ran into some guys from my company and they had some serious thousand yard stares going on. Didn't have the heart to tell them how I've spent my time down here.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

At least your unit brought a Public Affairs section.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I don't know how a BDE fails to have a plan for reverse RSOI. timelines constantly changing, jumping out of your rear end to get poo poo done only to find out it was pushed to the right while something different is pushed to the left

I also don't know what the deal with the mad rush is since we will have days doing absolutely nothing at this rate

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Mustang posted:

I also don't know what the deal with the mad rush is since we will have days doing absolutely nothing at this rate

Yeah, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hurry up and wait

"Were already waiting sir!"

WAIT HARDER!