Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Lid posted:

loving hell this is becoming more and more clear the right has seen the writing on the wall and we're not playing catch up

It's interesting that the LNP has learnt from the US GOP and not ignore certain minority groups. I don't think any other media or ALP comms have even bothered to do Mandarin PR but the LNP is all over Chinese social media and the last the ALP were there was with Kevin Rudd.

Now the papers are getting CN editions and where is anyone else to counter?

It's a massive blind spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

In theory Australia is actually a fantastic place for a space industry. We're rich and have a high-tech, highly educated base along with mainland territories within 11 degrees of the equator, which is a huge launch advantage. A Cape York spaceport could be extremely competitive.

So now we watch politics go and pork the launch site to South Australia.

If we were going to get pork some kind of engineering/mission planning stuff could happen in SA but if you want to get serious about grabbing part of the global launch market then launching from Woomera where anything would have to go overland to Orbit is a crazy idea.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Anidav posted:

It's interesting that the LNP has learnt from the US GOP and not ignore certain minority groups.
Howard losing Bennelong in 2007 was probably a wakeup call.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I've seen a bunch of "No" bollocks during this shemozzle trying to scare me with incest and polygamy.

Now, I know incest is a bad thing, but I'm not sure why polygamy is supposed to be scary - is it a dog whistle or something?

Is there something political here I'm being dumb about? Or is just FEAR of the OTHER?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Has Media watch ever looked into what claims are being made on Chinese social media in particular?

Re: Voting ALP will give your precious Chinese visa to Muslims/Same Sex marriage will lead to your Chinese boys wearing dresses?

I'd imagine it's LNP astroturfing going unchecked because all the attention is on Facebook in Western societies but not what parties can get away with on minority specific social media.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Elissimpark posted:

I've seen a bunch of "No" bollocks during this shemozzle trying to scare me with incest and polygamy.

Now, I know incest is a bad thing, but I'm not sure why polygamy is supposed to be scary - is it a dog whistle or something?

Is there something political here I'm being dumb about? Or is just FEAR of the OTHER?

That, and also something about sluts, probably.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Laserface posted:

On the other hand, sending an uninvited text message is largely being labelled as an invasion of privacy and as someone who values privacy beyond 'got nothing to hide then nothing to worry about' I found it a little annoying, especially considering that there is probably a lot of cross-over between Privacy advocates and SSM advocates. It shouldnt be lost on them how this comes across to the public.

I feel like the outrage around this is a confected pile of poo poo.

We live in an age where we receive an endless stream of unsolicited telemarketer calls. Where people receive hundreds of spam emails each week. We walk our side and are bombarded by inescapable advertising messages plastered across buildings, busses and the landscape telling us what to do and what to buy. Facebook and Google collect your data, and use algorithms to predict what they can sell you before you're even aware yourself. They know who you interact with, where you visit, what you like to do, and use this information to target advertising at you.

But no, this SMS message has gone one step too far. What an invasion of privacy. How dare people be told what to do?

I'm not a homopobe, just deeply concerned about my SMS messages.

Edit - gently caress, can't type on my phone and autocorrect is owning me

Mad Katter fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 25, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Mad Katter posted:

We live in an age where we receive an endless stream of unsolicited telemarketer calls. Where people receive hundreds of spam emails each week. We walk our side and are bombarded by inescapable advertising messages plastered across buildings, busses and the landscape telling us what to do and what to buy. Facebook and Google collect your data, and use algorithms to predict what they can sell you before you're even aware yourself. They know who you interact with, where you visit, what you like to do, and use this information to target advertising at you.
People complain about all of those things already though.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant wait for an Australian Space Station.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Push-polling/robocalls call your private home phone number and push you to answer questions over minutes, whereas a random number generator sent you a text you can safely ignore

One is a lot worse than the other, but what's getting the most coverage in the media?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

I cant wait for an Australian Space Station.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

G-Spot Run posted:

I reckon they will absolutely fund it properly because interplanetary colonisation is the only solution to climate change the wealthy can stomach.

Unironically this.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
The LNP will fund the space program so they can get Gina to Mars to start mining argent energy.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Australian Space Program cancelled when it is discovered rockets can't run on coal.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Australian Space Program cancelled when it is discovered rockets can't run on coal.

I feel like this could be tomorrow's Pope comic.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
ISS BarnseyFarnsey, A Hancock Project

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Not with that attitude.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

MiniSune
Sep 16, 2003

Smart like Dodo!

quote:

While Mr Turnbull has not pulled the trigger on export controls, he has made it clear to energy companies that the Federal Government is willing to do so.

What is core liberal ideology of the free market precious? Oh your doing rubbish in the polls and would do anything to stay in power. I see.

I wish the Liberals would just drop the pretence of standing for anything and just change their name to "not labah" as that is the only policy that they seem to stick through.

General Apathy
Apr 5, 2009
I'm currently at IAC2017 and from the few people I have talked to it would seem an Australian space program has been in the works for awhile, but most people were taken off guard by the announcement this morning.
In general everyone seems pretty excited about it, but there have been a lot of comments and laughs about this actually resulting in them getting funding for things.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

sure you were, dear

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Quick, someone send her an unsolicited text telling her not to drink bleach

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Anidav posted:

Has Media watch ever looked into what claims are being made on Chinese social media in particular?

Re: Voting ALP will give your precious Chinese visa to Muslims/Same Sex marriage will lead to your Chinese boys wearing dresses?

I'd imagine it's LNP astroturfing going unchecked because all the attention is on Facebook in Western societies but not what parties can get away with on minority specific social media.

Don't think so, I can't recall anything on Media Watch involving anything non-English. This aspect, non-English media, is a massive blindspot even to me recently but it's clearly the place where there is the least influence because it is such a blindspot and things need to change in a hurry.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Lid posted:

Don't think so, I can't recall anything on Media Watch involving anything non-English. This aspect, non-English media, is a massive blindspot even to me recently but it's clearly the place where there is the least influence because it is such a blindspot and things need to change in a hurry.

Not looking forward to the future 20yr LNP rule due to a shy tory effect amoung Multi Gen Chinese Australians.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Is there any actual evidence for a Shy Tory / Bradley Effect here?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Pretty sure Labor lost a couple of seats in NSW and Victoria due to LNP astroturfing a safe schools campaign on weibo. And these seats had a high Chinese population and were sleeper flips and no one expected them but I can't recall which seats they were but they basically helped Turnbull forming majority.

E: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/harnessing-chinese-social-media-to-win-chisholm-20160708-gq1rdq.html

Here's one.

Anidav fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 25, 2017

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Anidav posted:

Pretty sure Labor lost a couple of seats in NSW and Victoria due to LNP astroturfing a safe schools campaign on weibo. And these seats had a high Chinese population and were sleeper flips and no one expected them but I can't recall which seats they were but they basically helped Turnbull forming majority.

Was the Melbourne one Chisholm? I know Anna Burke had it for a long time, and that it's centered around Box Hill which has as large Asian population.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
there are goons that post itt who work in media, right? what can we do to combat this? i can find you as many charming left-wing mandarin-fluent chinese-australians as you require

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Shy Tories / Bradley Voters are people who hide their view from pollsters because they feel it is unacceptable. It's not the same thing as this.

Schlesische posted:

Was the Melbourne one Chisholm? I know Anna Burke had it for a long time, and that it's centered around Box Hill which has as large Asian population.

Yeah, it was Chisholm.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah the LNP basically ran uncontested on Wechat and Weibo in Chisholm and they saw the results and have been campaigning on these platforms passively ever since.

Polling is also a concern because all polling companies require the respondent to speak English to participate and if they don't we were trained to kill the call.

So basically polls aren't polling the opinions of a minority which is currently being astroturfed uncontested by the LNP making me think that the next election will be closer than predicted because the LNP is gonna take the Chisholm strategy nationwide and probably successfully defend or gain some seats as a result.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Shy Tories / Bradley Voters are people who hide their view from pollsters because they feel it is unacceptable. It's not the same thing as this.

Yeah, it was Chisholm.

Actually pollsters hide from them because they don't speak English well enough to be polled and polling companies are too lazy to hire bilingual and implement multi language approaches.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
like if it's just crowdfunding a weekly chinese-language pamphlet distributed around cabramatta that does a showcase of local stuff with delightful columnists who occasionally slip in insidious left-wing ideas, it shouldn't actually be that hard

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
maybe i should join the greens and figure out why nobody is doing this stuff

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

So it's like a shy....pollster effect?

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
as far as funding something like this goes, our content can be populated entirely by desperate uni students / recent grads, if you pay those poor souls $30 for five hours' work they wash your feet with their tears (source: am one of those)

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
So I guess we should've listened to One Nation in the 90s and kicked all these tory fuckers out. Just wait until the LNP realise how socially conservative most muslims are too

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

It's kinda of crazy how the ALP hasn't touched Chinese social media since 2013. It's like they wanted to distance themselves from Rudd so hard that they haven't posted on their Chinese accounts since 2014 and yes I checked today. LNP post in Chinese daily. ALP hasn't since Rudd.

Extremely odd. It's gonna bite them in the arse in a few years time when the minority voter base solidifies in certain seats and the ALP has to play catch up contesting with almost 5 years of uncontested communication from the LNP.

The No Campaign is also doing the same thing as the LNP, my partner told me that Yes has zero presence on Chinese social media.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Isn't there a Christian fundamentalist subsection of the Chinese community who either feel like, or were actually persecuted for being Christian in China? Like idk if this is some bizarro fever dream I had but I remember something about certain sects being underground in the PRC

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I know some Chinese folk fairly well at uni, and a lot of them have mentioned that there is familial pressure to accept certain social norms, such as a very specific range of acceptable education topics, no to being gay because the only reason you exist to your parents is to continue their line. Unless you come from a chill family, the threat of being disowned is real for some of these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

the old ceremony posted:

maybe i should join the greens and figure out why nobody is doing this stuff

At least in Sydney the seats with the largest Chinese population (Reid, Banks, Bennelong, Parramatta) are outside the inner city suburbs that make up the Green strongholds. Of those 4 there are two marginals held by Liberals (Reid, Banks), one somewhat safe Labor seat (Parramatta), and one somewhat safe Liberal seat (Bennelong). The Greens don't poll fantastically in those places to begin with.

Not sure about Melbourne, although it's worth pointing out that in 2016 Chisholm was a marginal seat without an incumbent.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 25, 2017

• Locked thread