Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I thought STD was fairly decent. The story structure was fairly different than typical Trek and it was disturbing how Majel Barrett wasn't the voice of the computer but it kept me interested. I think I'll probably wait a month after all the episodes are released and then binge watch it during a trial period for the streaming video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
hahaha oh my god it is so bad :stonk:

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
thats a good idea, I'll probably do the same.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
i thought it was alright

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Hector Beerlioz posted:

i thought it was alright

Hector Beerlioz posted:

hell yeah! Voyager is the best star trek!

You lead people astray.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Klingons venerating the bodies of the dead? I'm appalled.

Massive Bluetooth headset guy hopefully gets Argyle'd.

The ships computer sounds exactly like the Mechwarrior II computer voice.

Nobody pulled anything from out of their zippered thigh pocket.

I'm greatly disappointed.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

This episode is cool, watching the doctor steal the warpcore and be half of the bridge crew. However this episode is loving terrible because the doctor would never loving do this. Jesus gently caress.

Also I don't believe Neelix would have left to live on an asteroid, even if it was full of Talaxians.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

feel like discovery is not very good as science fiction. tng and ds9 openers were about stuff like what is humanity, linear time, all powerful space aliens, etc. this is aggressively unfun and miserable. i guess on a technical level it's fine

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Yandat posted:

feel like discovery is not very good as science fiction. tng and ds9 openers were about stuff like what is humanity, linear time, all powerful space aliens, etc. this is aggressively unfun and miserable. i guess on a technical level it's fine

Same thing happened when they remade MacGyver. Network shows are either terrible Chuck Lorre comedies, reality TV, or crime dramas. They don't know how to make anything else.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Argh. I loving hate this episode so goddamned much. My warp core and delta flyer are missing. I know, I'll send one loving shuttle to retrieve it.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Peachfart posted:

Same thing happened when they remade MacGyver. Network shows are either terrible Chuck Lorre comedies, reality TV, or crime dramas. They don't know how to make anything else.

they don't get why anyone liked these shows, that they can have fun or have charm

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
i didnt watch it cause i have a life but my mom called to say it was good, so i guess in final thoughts if you're a mom then std is for you

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

shadow puppet of a posted:

Massive Bluetooth headset guy hopefully gets Argyle'd.

i'm faking a letter writing campaign to get this show cancelled

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

corn in the bible posted:

i didnt watch it cause i have a life but my mom called to say it was good, so i guess in final thoughts if you're a mom then std is for you

Just be sure to take acyclovir after week 34!

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

corn in the bible posted:

Can't imagine calling my kid to tell them that a star trek was good but thanks for the heads up

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

RVWinkle posted:

I thought STD was fairly decent. The story structure was fairly different than typical Trek and it was disturbing how Majel Barrett wasn't the voice of the computer but it kept me interested. I think I'll probably wait a month after all the episodes are released and then binge watch it during a trial period for the streaming video.

Did something change? They'd claimed Majel had a big enough library of recorded words before her death and her consent to use her voice so that she could continue to be the computer voice.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

If this show makes it seven seasons this guy is going to come out of it crippled unless he gets promoted to a station that gets a chair.

The future is an ergonomic nightmare. Who builds a fixed-height work console in a post-scarcity civilization?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So I just watched both episodes. Thoughts:

I dig the aesthetics of everything. It looks great. The ships have a unique look that we haven't seen before. I dig the new aliens and poo poo.

I even liked the Klingon designs. Ships, costumes, everything. However, why didn't they make this a new race? I don't think everything has to line 100% with established cannon, but man, they look way too different. It could have been more interesting if they were a new species.

With a serialized show like this, it's hard to judge it just a couple episodes in, but so far the story itself is pretty interesting. It moves fast and leaves enough mystery to make me tune in next week.

However, why in the ever-loving gently caress does the titular USS Discovery not appear in the pilot episodes?

Overall, I think it's worth checking out.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
rewatching enterprise as my falling asleep show I had completely forgotten the tpol gets addicted to drugs sub plot

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Yandat posted:

That first scene after she's out of sickbay and enters the bridge there are like EIGHT lens flares in a 2 minute span. Disco ball on the bridge is obnoxious.

Also the Klingons sound stupid. I mean, I love star trek and klingon was never the greatest thing to listen to, but they made it worse. Its like how ferengi usually sound weird, because the actors have to work around those mouth prosthetics, but cranked up to 11. Its just unpleasant to listen to and they made us listen to a lot of it. Rest of it is watchable enough.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

CassandraZara posted:

Can't imagine calling my kid to tell them that a star trek was good but thanks for the heads up

i'll tell her you said thanks

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Did not like ST:D very much. I especially don't like the direction they went with the klingons. Worf and Martok were great characters, these were nothing like the badass klingons we got to know and love. Also, I know it's kind of a startrek meme that klingons are supposed to be the most fearsome warriors in the galaxy, but they and would be easily laid out by a left hook from Riker or a double axe-handle from Picard, but that new skinny black chick getting an easy one-shot kill did not do much to make me respect klingons as a threat. Thanks for listening, everyone, that's my hot take.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even though it will probably not be very good i'm still obviously going to watch every episode of std.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

pleasantly surprised by std tbh, thought the new klingons are less like...embarrassing? than the normal ones. ships and stuff look cool, story seems interesting. i thought the black chick was going to be the captain but instead she's a space prisoner

anyone else get a big gould vibe from the klingons? the grunty voices, the sorta gold poo poo.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

also coming off the orville, std is a masterpiece *farts* *blob alien gets a boner* "i love marijuana"

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Just finished End Game. I want my 160 hours back. :colbert:

Voyager was bad, not terrible. I'm glad it got seven seasons, and I wish Enterprise would have been given the same respect.

I look forward to checking out some STD tomorrow.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Will I get in Tribble if I download STD?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The General posted:

Just finished End Game. I want my 160 hours back. :colbert:

Voyager was bad, not terrible. I'm glad it got seven seasons, and I wish Enterprise would have been given the same respect.

I look forward to checking out some STD tomorrow.

How'd you like End Game having absolutely nothing happen in Part 1 and Part 2 having zero tension throughout due to fancy anti-Borg armor and weaponry?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

How'd you like End Game having absolutely nothing happen in Part 1 and Part 2 having zero tension throughout due to fancy anti-Borg armor and weaponry?

:sigh:

Also waiting until the borg have scanned every inch of Voyager before deciding to destroy the cubes. Holy hell, just blow them the gently caress up.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
New series of trek question: How likely are we to see ferengi? I've seen the first two episodes but I refused to watch the trailer for the third episode, but...we're going to a federation prison, surely there's gotta be a ferengi imprisoned there, right? I want to see more ferengi drat it!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Mr.Tophat posted:

New series of trek question: How likely are we to see ferengi? I've seen the first two episodes but I refused to watch the trailer for the third episode, but...we're going to a federation prison, surely there's gotta be a ferengi imprisoned there, right? I want to see more ferengi drat it!

I guess it would depend on how close they are sticking to established lore. Because Ferengi were supposedly only starting to interact with Federation space around the time of TNG. I don't include the one time they appeared in Enterprise because that was mostly a comedy episode and an excuse to get some people back in the makeup.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I hope they get Michael Dorn back to play great grandpappy Worf again.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005
I caught the STD and I liked it. I thought the visual design was good and had a lot of little thoughtful touches (like the binary stars intersecting at an odd angle). The Starfleet characters act like professionals until poo poo gets stressful and cracks start to form, which is a type of plot I like.

Also, by the most basic measure of serial entertainment, it succeeded- I want to watch more episodes to find out what happens. Even my non-ST-fan gf who I thought was just chilling on the couch fiddling with her phone chimed up to say she liked it.

(my fave ST is ds9, if that matters)

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Has CBS announced any numbers on last night's show?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I'd love if the numbers were so good that CBS has to scramble and get this on TV and off of CBS All Access.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Yeah I'm kinda curious what their metrics will be to determine if the show is a success. You've got the TV numbers, the All Access numbers (views and new subs), AND the Netflix angle for the international side of it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The General posted:

Argh. I loving hate this episode so goddamned much. My warp core and delta flyer are missing. I know, I'll send one loving shuttle to retrieve it.

I actually like Renaissance Man. It's just self-aware stupid enough to actually be fun. If they tried to play it straight it would most definitely be just another poo poo episode of Voyager.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

so I watched STD expecting a total clusterfuck and it was .... alright?

I thought I'd be total fanservice with nonstop SWJ taglines. It was nothing like that. I could not even make it through the trailers, so I was really loving surprised.

First, the black chick is genuinely a good lead character, has an interesting storyline, is a million times the actor of half of the Voyager crew and I am shocked to say that I totally dig her as a CO. I was soooo ready to hate the whole cast, but that actor is ... good?

As far as the visuals go, it's a bit too much Abramstrek for me, ie. too dark and lensflary. Other than that, when it comes to specific tech or design, it's also shockingly fine.

Let's be honest. Nowadays the Klingons of TNG would have been a bad move. We know what they should represent - a warrior race. But whenever I see Klingons labour through a fight scene in TNG/DS9, only to be defeated by the Doublefirst punch, I wonder if there wasn't any way to make it decent.
Well, these new Klingons look like they actually could fight. I also like that their tech is not just the same poo poo in green/brown, but has an organic look. Other than everything being so drat dark and lensflary, it is very good.

If I shut down my groknard impulse that everything must look like old Trek, I think that the visual choices (except lighting) in this show are decent and certainly better than in the new movies. It's scifi, so something like TOS or Enterprise just wouldn't do it anymore. What they chose to do looks better than Abramsverse - at least the ships are not completely ridiculous. There's even some mild technobabble.

As far as the story goes, we just have to see. I'd wish there would be more political nuances. Since these episodes just serve to set up the lead character, we can only really judge on that. Given that, I think they managed to introduce a thoroughly solid character background and arc. It's comparable to good Trek, and obviously miles above things like Voy or ENT. In any case, now they just need the rest of a crew.

Kinda sad imo that the release and marketing and everything was bad and everyone hated the show before it even started. Oh well.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

caps on caps on caps posted:

I thought I'd be total fanservice with nonstop SWJ taglines. It was nothing like that. I could not even make it through the trailers, so I was really loving surprised.

Wtf? Have you even paid any attention to the criticism of this show at all? If anything the main reason people dislike it is it's explicitly the opposite of this, throws out everything about old Treks for the sake of being new while inserting a few old names and sound effects, and being dark and not dealing with issues of social justice at all.

What the hell do you even mean you thought it would be full of "sjw taglines"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

caps on caps on caps posted:

Kinda sad imo that the release and marketing and everything was bad and everyone hated the show before it even started. Oh well.

It's not that people hate the show, it's that the marketing et al paints a picture like CBS hates the show and is trying to bury it ASAP with the modern equivalent of the Friday Night Death Slot (ie; CBS Access).