Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
It's more or less how area terrain worked before the switch to TLOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Shockeh posted:

Rules/Thought Experiment - One thing I've been hearing from my usual guys (and by extension, from people they were talking to) was how flimsy cover seems to be now.
One proposed house rule was suggested of 'Woods & Ruins provide cover exactly as written now, but also block LOS to models on the far side of them.'

Just wanted to kick this out to this wonderful collective, see if anyone has tried similar, or can spot any obvious huge pitfalls.

The tournament rule of "the first level of ruins block LOS" worked pretty well in games we've played. I like the rule for woods blocking LOS, though

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

How do you guys maintain the motivation to keep painting?

I look at the windowsill full of toys which I'd like to reclaim.

Shockeh posted:

Rules/Thought Experiment - One thing I've been hearing from my usual guys (and by extension, from people they were talking to) was how flimsy cover seems to be now.
One proposed house rule was suggested of 'Woods & Ruins provide cover exactly as written now, but also block LOS to models on the far side of them.'

Just wanted to kick this out to this wonderful collective, see if anyone has tried similar, or can spot any obvious huge pitfalls.

Why will people not just build some LoS blocking terrain rather than loving around with house rules? It really is not difficult.

E: we're coming up to 10 years since 5th ed was released and TLoS became standard and people have still not adjusted, wow.

Living Image fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 24, 2017

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Corrode posted:

I look at the windowsill full of toys which I'd like to reclaim.

Why will people not just build some LoS blocking terrain rather than loving around with house rules? It really is not difficult.

E: we're coming up to 10 years since 5th ed was released and TLoS became standard and people have still not adjusted, wow.

Money. Effort. Differing model heights. Imagine all your Guardsmen head-high walls suddenly becoming totally obsolete by the Primaris range hitting, or Jim insisting on putting a banner on every one of his goddamn models to let them shoot over walls.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I hadn't played from 3rd all the way until late 7th so a lot of what happened between them is still kind of weird to me

One_Wing
Feb 19, 2012

Handsome, sophisticated space elves.

richyp posted:

Background audio/video seems to do it. Can't seem to paint anything unless I have some youtube video's, netflix etc... on in the background. When I do I usually end up painting like a loving lunatic without realising it. 2000ish points of (Sigmar) Chaos dudes in a month thanks to random iphone droptest videos or random opinions about nation X trying nation Y's candy for the first time.

This. I am back into the hobby after many years out, and I cannot stress enough how much the ease of putting a podcast on in the background has improved my ability to sit down and work through painting stuff.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

The best thing to paint to is Kitchen Nightmares and I think I've gone through like half the series by now

Watch the American one because the UK version is much less wild

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
So God drat excited for the Armageddon rules.

Might actually field all these loving Chimeras. This pic was from a year ago, and now I've got twice as many!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Tried the new Admech stuff.

Still don't think very highly of the Mars dogma in and of itself, because canticles aren't particularly great and having a second one isn't worth, say, a permanent -1 to hit or ignoring AP-1.

The main advantage to Mars is still Cawl, who gets even better with the warlord trait.

That said, a Knight with access to canticles isn't something to be hosed with. It actually gets some more use out of the results since its the only way it can get rerolls to hit.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011
Made a Wartrak for my orks

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That thing's adorable.

What did you use for the base?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Corrode posted:

I tend to agree with this, but the challenge is that I already have a lot of terrain built for prior editions and I'd rather not build a whole new table's worth of terrain, thanks

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Floppychop posted:

That thing's adorable.

What did you use for the base?

Thanks!
1/48 Dingo Mk II

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Corrode posted:

Mostly because even if it is standard, some people just don't like it, I guess. :iiam: We'd prefer to have cool terrain without needing to fascinate over ensuring it has a 50mm barrier around the edge so it works, or making woods dense enough you can't actually put models inside them and keep it LoS blocking.

Like I said, it was purely a thought experiment as we'd been chatting about it - It feels 'right' a hull down tank or hidden squad behind a tree copse should break LoS, that's all.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
You could have a foot high wall an someone will argue if theres a pin prick hole somewhere in it that they can see whats behind it.

Best thing is ask what is what an note it down. If its a rando pick up game its almost mandatory. If you know the person maybe a 40k win isn't worth the post game stress but everyone is different.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

For_Great_Justice posted:

You could have a foot high wall an someone will argue if theres a pin prick hole somewhere in it that they can see whats behind it.

Best thing is ask what is what an note it down. If its a rando pick up game its almost mandatory. If you know the person maybe a 40k win isn't worth the post game stress but everyone is different.

Yeah, p much this 100%

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

im excited for the return of kneeling wraithlords

kommisar
Jan 2, 2007

goose willis posted:

How well do the Blood Warriors from Sigmar work as Khorne Berzerkers?

I plan on using them for just this. The boots don't bother me so it shouldn't be too difficult. I really can't stand the now 20 year old ones.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Yeah the ancient Berzerker models are loving atrocious and you would think they'd have been replaced by now given how many people use them

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Seems likely that after the Lion the next primarch we see will be Angron.

BTW, Deathwatch is being moved out of GW stores and will become online only after this week.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

So is the intent now to give each living primarch a model? Aren't almost all of the loyalist ones not exactly living?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

goose willis posted:

So is the intent now to give each living primarch a model? Aren't almost all of the loyalist ones not exactly living?

The only dead ones are Ferrus Manus and Sanguinius. Everyone else is a giant question mark.

PantsOptional fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 25, 2017

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

goose willis posted:

Only 4 of the Primarchs are confirmed dead:

Horus: Emprah winked him out of existence.
Sanguinus: Chokeslammed.
Ferrus: Head offed, cameo when Horus had a Hamlet moment.
Curze: Let an assassin relive him of life.
Alpharius/Omegon: Ded.

All the others are "missing" or have already returned for an even 7-7 split:

Loyal: Dorn, Vulkan, Khan, Russ, Corax, Gulliman

Traitor: Magnus, Angron, Perturabo, Lion, Lorgar, Fulgrim, Mortarion

e: forgot Lorgar

OhDearGodNo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 25, 2017

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

The only dead ones are Ferrus Manus and Sanguinus. Everyone else is a giant question mark.

I think Konrad Kurze can be safely considered dead too. It'd be really lovely if they brought him back, as him basically ragequitting on life was a suitable end.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Sephyr posted:

I think Konrad Kurze can be safely considered dead too. It'd be really lovely if they brought him back, as him basically ragequitting on life was a suitable end.

Well yeah, but the question was about the Loyalists. And hell, I'm sure comics rules could apply here to bring the dead ones back.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

lamo if you play loyalists

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Well, I completed another test model for my Death Guard. This time it is a poxwalker. I'm going for a very specific aesthertic for my Death Guard and hopefully I pulled it off. Let me know what you think.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Reminds me of a Necromorph

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Speckled Jim
Dec 13, 2008

Very nice! I wish I'd thought of the double storm cannon when I ordered mine this morning

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

jadebullet posted:

Well, I completed another test model for my Death Guard. This time it is a poxwalker. I'm going for a very specific aesthertic for my Death Guard and hopefully I pulled it off. Let me know what you think.

Gross.

In a good way.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

TheChirurgeon posted:

I tend to agree with this, but the challenge is that I already have a lot of terrain built for prior editions and I'd rather not build a whole new table's worth of terrain, thanks

Shockeh posted:

Mostly because even if it is standard, some people just don't like it, I guess. :iiam: We'd prefer to have cool terrain without needing to fascinate over ensuring it has a 50mm barrier around the edge so it works, or making woods dense enough you can't actually put models inside them and keep it LoS blocking.

Like I said, it was purely a thought experiment as we'd been chatting about it - It feels 'right' a hull down tank or hidden squad behind a tree copse should break LoS, that's all.

You're overthinking it. Every bit of terrain doesn't need to fully block LoS, but you do need enough terrain that does block LoS to create fire lanes and to prevent shooting armies having sight of the whole board. There's tons of options in existence - solid buildings, crap eBay tanks, the Imperial Bastion, solid lower floors in the Imperial Sector - but the cheapest and most efficient is:

2-3 of those together blocks LoS perfectly. You don't even need to paint them, although it looks way better if you do. Label off, upside down, spray black and drybrush - instant industrial silo in 28mm scale. Even better if you can get hold of the big institutional ones that schools/prisons use.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
Here's a fuckin' longshot:

Anyone have an unused Raven Guard transfer sheet they want to sell? Not the one Forge World is currently selling, the old one that's no longer available.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

GreenMarine posted:

Seems likely that after the Lion the next primarch we see will be Angron.

BTW, Deathwatch is being moved out of GW stores and will become online only after this week.

The entire army range? Or the boxed game? If the former, where do you hear this - wasn’t it one of the better selling ranges last Xmas. Also it’s only a year old.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Corrode posted:

The cheapest and most efficient is:

Money spent on Heinz means less money for Hams. Weirdo.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Stephenls posted:

Here's a fuckin' longshot:

Anyone have an unused Raven Guard transfer sheet they want to sell? Not the one Forge World is currently selling, the old one that's no longer available.

You mean the old space marines transfer sheet? They're the only first founding chapter that's not on that for some reason.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Sep 25, 2017

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Der Waffle Mous posted:

You mean the old space marines transfer sheet? They're the only first founding chapter that's not on that for some reason.

I mean this one.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Of all things GW/FW arbitrarily stop printing, transfer sheets are the most :psyduck: of the lot.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

It's part of a conspiracy to make everyone play Ultramarines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

Shockeh posted:

I've always treated stuff like woods as "adds cover, can shoot in/out, can't shoot through, has a movement penalty". Works in most games.