Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lain Iwakura posted:

Time to put machine learning IPSes on every internal router and switch.

Alfajor posted:

Curious, and I think this is the best place for this query:
My $company's internal IT has recently started deploying a lot of DLP tools and whatnot. Since I run a lot of VMs from my lab, and those are not managed by internal IT, and do have internet access: does $company see that VM's web traffic? Is there some sort of encapsulation once traffic passes from guest to host, and upstream?
Is the answer the same for all hypervisors, from workstation to ESXi, also counting KVM, HyperV, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

2017 has been loving amazing, and never let someone tell you otherwise.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Next, someone will figure out how to factor large numbers in polynomial time using a classical algorithm.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Somebody tell Gary Numan. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldyx3KHOFXw

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Thanks Ants posted:

Always.

Never forget the Adobe position on non-local storage in TYOOL 2017:

While I want to give them poo poo, i know that this position is probably born of people using some sort of goofy and slow network storage over a lovely remote connection causing the file to be half written when the user closes the lid on their laptop, causing a VERY MYSTERIOUS case of data loss that must be Adobe's fault.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A check-out / check-in approach to working with files on a removable volume that provides a friendly way to do the copy/work locally/copy back workflow wouldn't have taken them very long to produce. But they're Adobe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Caching files that big on a local disk without user control isn't easy from a UX perspective. My suspicion is that they rely on some FS semantics that aren't guaranteed by the Win32 API but happen to work consistently on the local filesystems.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
And if you tried to copy large files to the temp folder you'd get people complaining that their disk is full. But you'll notice that Adobe includes network drives along with removable media.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I've heard of browsers that seemingly slow a computer to a crawl, but putting a buttcoin miner in an extension is a new high (or low). The author claims that there "has been a hack", but the extension hasn't actually been updated for over a month, so something doesn't quite add up.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

D. Ebdrup posted:

I've heard of browsers that seemingly slow a computer to a crawl, but putting a buttcoin miner in an extension is a new high (or low). The author claims that there "has been a hack", but the extension hasn't actually been updated for over a month, so something doesn't quite add up.

Suddenly Slack's abuse of electron makes perfect sense.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

D. Ebdrup posted:

It's not even new.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

anthonypants posted:

It's not even new.

Yeah, sites serving miners in their JS has been around for awhile.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
HAHAHQAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAWIWJAFEYIJEWFYAAFAWFA

https://twitter.com/ThoughtsOnCyber/status/911697583525023746

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This seems like the thread for this Q:

A friend's facebook post from over a year ago got a response today by someone who had all the hallmarks of some kind of russian/macedonian/MAGA troll in order to stir up poo poo. The account was clearly fake and had just been opened hours beforehand.

Is there any good literature about how they are operating technically? I'm curious if they use some kind of automated search to find what posts to crap all over and if it is automated posting at first that gets taken over by a human when a response is posted.

Facebook was pretty quick about shutting the fake account down and so all their posts are removed. But it was a pretty interesting reminder of the weird poo poo that happens on social media.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've started listening to this podcast on the topic which is quite good so far

https://mikehind.co.uk/podcast/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

anthonypants posted:

It's not even new.
If that's not new and cool enough, how about using voltage screwing to gain access to the ARM/AMD TrustZone (like Intel ME, including being as insecure and untrustworthy as Intel ME) at USENIX Security '17? There's even a video of the repsentation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI3GRCgThxE

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax

priznat posted:

This seems like the thread for this Q:

A friend's facebook post from over a year ago got a response today by someone who had all the hallmarks of some kind of russian/macedonian/MAGA troll in order to stir up poo poo. The account was clearly fake and had just been opened hours beforehand.

Is there any good literature about how they are operating technically? I'm curious if they use some kind of automated search to find what posts to crap all over and if it is automated posting at first that gets taken over by a human when a response is posted.

Facebook was pretty quick about shutting the fake account down and so all their posts are removed. But it was a pretty interesting reminder of the weird poo poo that happens on social media.

Your best bet for good literature on the subject is to start with the Facebook documentation for building bots.

If you're interested in how the campaigns themselves operate then...

One of the recent big cases of using the internet for political disinformation that comes to mind is the Packrat campaign. There was not as much Twitter/Facebook automation like what we are seeing in the pro-Trump campaigns but it had a similar premise/end goal. Citizen Lab did a really good write-up on it (https://citizenlab.ca/2015/12/packrat-report/). Another notable mention is Andres Sepulveda and his work with Mexican president Enrique Pena Nieto.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

D. Ebdrup posted:

If that's not new and cool enough, how about using voltage screwing to gain access to the ARM/AMD TrustZone (like Intel ME, including being as insecure and untrustworthy as Intel ME) at USENIX Security '17? There's even a video of the repsentation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI3GRCgThxE

This is insanely cool haha, thanks for linking it!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
An article about Google's AMP.
http://www.salon.com/2017/09/24/russian-hackers-exploited-a-google-flaw-and-google-wont-fix-it/

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
So these guys wrote a paper (PDF) explaining how to exfiltrate data from the IR leds of IP cams. Bit rate is low (20 bps) but it's better than nothing. I guess it's an evolution of the same thing somebody else presented at Black Hat Europe in 2015 (iirc) where they used the light from hacked printers/scanners to achieve the same (although less discreetly obviously).

Sophos has the high level summary: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/09/22/using-infrared-cameras-to-break-out-of-air-gapped-networks/

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Furism posted:

So these guys wrote a paper (PDF) explaining how to exfiltrate data from the IR leds of IP cams. Bit rate is low (20 bps) but it's better than nothing. I guess it's an evolution of the same thing somebody else presented at Black Hat Europe in 2015 (iirc) where they used the light from hacked printers/scanners to achieve the same (although less discreetly obviously).

Sophos has the high level summary: https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2017/09/22/using-infrared-cameras-to-break-out-of-air-gapped-networks/
The ways people find to exfiltrate data are absolutely fascinating - reminds me a bit of Ted Unangst describing how to exfiltrate data via receive timing and request timing, although it only manages 8bps it's almost undetectable by commonly used methods.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I did something similar years ago with the power led on a foscam ip camera just for fun. I used another foscam ip camera pointed at it and the blinked the user-controllable power led in morse code (again, just for fun) and picked the LED out with OpenCV on the feed from the 2nd camera.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NIST 800-53 is too long :(

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

The ways people find to exfiltrate data are absolutely fascinating - reminds me a bit of Ted Unangst describing how to exfiltrate data via receive timing and request timing, although it only manages 8bps it's almost undetectable by commonly used methods.

I like how Chrome doesn't trust his certificate authority.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

He is an OpenBSD developer, afterall.

EDIT: I just realized that that might come off as dismissive, which it isn't intended to be. What I mean is: It is implicit that when you use OpenBSD that you trust OpenBSDs developers not to intentionally back-door their software and do everything in their power to try and keep the software bug-free. In that sense, it makes sense to me for Ted to say that you should trust him signing his own certificates.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Sep 25, 2017

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I like how Chrome doesn't trust his certificate authority.

It's loving self-signed. Holy poo poo.

D. Ebdrup posted:

He is an OpenBSD developer, afterall.

He's not even using X25519 like OpenBSD would. It's RSA for the cert and P256 for TLS.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Thermopyle posted:

I did something similar years ago with the power led on a foscam ip camera just for fun. I used another foscam ip camera pointed at it and the blinked the user-controllable power led in morse code (again, just for fun) and picked the LED out with OpenCV on the feed from the 2nd camera.

Why morse? Is that lighter than binary?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

2012 cybersecurity company of the year hacked

https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/912359097726640130

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sigh

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

The Eternal September continues.

:vince:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CLAM DOWN posted:

NIST 800-53 is too long :(

you working on low, medium moderate, or high?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

you working on low, medium moderate, or high?

Moderate, trying to get to high. It's a daunting task.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Furism posted:

Why morse? Is that lighter than binary?

No particular reason other than I (for some reason I don't recall) thought it was funny.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

quote:

The hacker compromised the firm’s global email server through an “administrator’s account” that, in theory, gave them privileged, unrestricted “access to all areas”.

The account required only a single password and did not have “two-step“ verification, sources said.

For gently caress's sake.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Double Punctuation posted:

its not great but you need to click through a few prompts and type credentials with a restricted user to launch unsigned code like that. if he just doubleclicked on his PoC app it wouldn't execute

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Furism posted:

For gently caress's sake.

The article that I just read said the account in question was an Azure Service Admin account.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Double Punctuation posted:

How is a keychain vuln part of "Eternal September"?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

dont touch the poop, etc.

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/912406976528863232

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:catstare: