Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

:allears:

Any word about the pre load schedule?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
So from some of the prerelease streams its looks like Regular lords and heroes now have a skill at level 20 that makes them immortal like legendary lords. If they fall in battle of get assassinated they will simply become wounded and pop back up after a few turns. Its going to be really hard to go back to game one after all the quality of life changes CA is making. Off the top of my head we now have :

-Climate system instead of regional occupation.
-8 slot cities and 10 slot capitals instead of 6.
-Investing multiple points into a spell on the skill tree actually upgrades it.
-Caster lords are now innately better then caster heroes, taking 2 points to max out a spell instead of 3.
-No more deploy hero button, heroes now passively give the effects just by being in a province
-Heroes now all have innate buffs they give to the army they are in.
-No more blue skill tree for heroes, each campaign effect has its own 3 point skill to improve it.
-The ability to smoothly zoom in and out of the strategic view with just the scroll wheel.
-Map overlays without needing to go into the strategic view.
-A ton of small UI improvements like seeing the balance of power during other factions turns.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

quote:

High level Lords can become 'immortal' like Legendary Lords
I'm glad to see this. Nothing more frustrating than investing a lot of time and effort into a lord, especially the better generic ones, only to have him get assasinated or die in battle.

quote:

-Climate system instead of regional occupation.
Still not sure about how I feel about this, but I guess I'll have to see. Though I suppose that with a subpar region, you have more of a reason to loot+occupy since now you can't raid your own territory to trigger revolts. Loot+Occupy in an area with bad climate and trigger a revolt that you can crush for exp. I've also heard there are some cities that are located in choke points and I guess dealing with the climate penalties would be worth blocking enemy access.

quote:

-8 slot cities and 10 slot capitals instead of 6.
Wood Elves seemed to set a precedent for this. I see no problem with it, lets you build everything in one province (eventually). It also keeps smaller provinces more balanced since it is kind of BS some factions only get a 2 settlements starting region (Brettonia, for example) while others like Empire get a 4 settlement province.

quote:

-Investing multiple points into a spell on the skill tree actually upgrades it.
This is cool and good and something I've wanted for a long time. Finally you can spec casters to be more killy, and gives more middle ground to hybrid casters in theory (who might be good in melee and have spells, but not necessarily able to upgrade them as much as dedicated casters.

quote:

-Caster lords are now innately better then caster heroes, taking 2 points to max out a spell instead of 3.
Finally. I assume they'll apply this to the new Grand Campaign so stuff like Necromancer Lords actually have a point.

quote:

-No more deploy hero button, heroes now passively give the effects just by being in a province
I'll have to see how this pans out. The strategic element of heroes was interesting and not needing to deploy them seems to move them away from being on the strategic map and far more frequently tagging along with armies.

quote:

-Heroes now all have innate buffs they give to the army they are in.
They didn't before?

quote:

-No more blue skill tree for heroes, each campaign effect has its own 3 point skill to improve it.
Not sure what they mean by this. The blue and yellow tree always seemed like giving you the flexibility of having a hero focus on a different thing. Like I said before, it seems like they are focusing on keeping heroes in a parent army since a lot of the stuff they did on the strategic map seems doable now as long as they are just physically in the area.

quote:

-The ability to smoothly zoom in and out of the strategic view with just the scroll wheel.
Good.

quote:

-Map overlays without needing to go into the strategic view.
Also good

quote:

-A ton of small UI improvements like seeing the balance of power during other factions turns.
I'm glad. Various little QoL improvements can go a long way to making the experience more enjoyable.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'm hoping that they backpatch a lot of those improvements into 1. I'm sure some are a lot of work, but I reckon there's plenty that could be done easily. Immortal for instance.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

tarbrush posted:

I'm hoping that they backpatch a lot of those improvements into 1. I'm sure some are a lot of work, but I reckon there's plenty that could be done easily. Immortal for instance.

It would be a good way to encourage people to eventually buy more games, by keeping the games they have relevant. I know that they will likely implement these changes in the TW2 Grand campaign and it makes sense to just take that and apply it back to TW1 Grand Campaign.

Plus, it also would make sense that people getting into the game way later on (like say mid 2018 when people are going to start getting hyped for the THIRD game) they might just want to take it one game at a time so they aren't completely overwhelmed by a bazillion factions and gameplay elements.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Panfilo posted:

Not sure what they mean by this. The blue and yellow tree always seemed like giving you the flexibility of having a hero focus on a different thing. Like I said before, it seems like they are focusing on keeping heroes in a parent army since a lot of the stuff they did on the strategic map seems doable now as long as they are just physically in the area.

Heroes still have blue skills (with several steps each), but they're just always available from level 1, instead of being in a tree.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Angry Lobster posted:

:allears:

Any word about the pre load schedule?

This weekend they said "Early next week". So I'm guessing sometime Monday or maybe Tuesday.

Free up that 60GB!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
The grand campaign is going to have 117 factions. Turn times will be fun

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Will we be able to play the Old world campaign in warhams 2?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Man the Empire is fielding 5 doom stacks with only 2 provinces, never gently caress around and let your norsca games get to 300 turns the game turns into bullshit :orks101:

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Preload begins today at 5:30PM BST

https://twitter.com/totalwar/status/912262912718376963

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I'll admit i'm not excited for pre-load. I have no idea why anyone would be.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Having slow internet so it takes a long time to download all the files ? :shrug:

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Having slow internet so it takes a long time to download all the files ? :shrug:

helllo

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
poo poo. 80.1 gb free. Gonna have to delete some stuff

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
How big is the game install?

Has anyone found a playthrough of Morathi's campaign?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

RBA-Wintrow posted:

How big is the game install?

Has anyone found a playthrough of Morathi's campaign?

Their art and animation files are just getting larger and larger so assuming you have everything the grand campaign requires 40gb is not a bad starting point to plan around.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Wood Elves seemed to set a precedent for this. I see no problem with it, lets you build everything in one province (eventually). It also keeps smaller provinces more balanced since it is kind of BS some factions only get a 2 settlements starting region (Brettonia, for example) while others like Empire get a 4 settlement province.

Funny enough, modding just this in sets the AI to extremely good levels, and you stop getting Artillery only armies. The AI starts attacking more often because it has better/lategame armies finally, and has pretty decent composition.

If you add in the AI overhaul, the game gets extremely rough as the AI suddenly gets super aggressive.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
So, seeing how big this game is, I decided to empty my recycle bin. To my shock, there was over 70 gigs of stuff in there. I suppose that's my storage problems sorted. I guess I should empty it more often.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Dandywalken posted:

Imo no. Grimgor is best experienced.

we need gifs of grimgor just shrugging off cannonballs, I've seen him bouncing off ballista bolts so it shouldn't be too hard

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Sadly even grimgor has to respect a ball of metal moving fast enough to punch a hole in a castle wall.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Panfilo posted:

Still not sure about how I feel about this, but I guess I'll have to see. Though I suppose that with a subpar region, you have more of a reason to loot+occupy since now you can't raid your own territory to trigger revolts. Loot+Occupy in an area with bad climate and trigger a revolt that you can crush for exp. I've also heard there are some cities that are located in choke points and I guess dealing with the climate penalties would be worth blocking enemy access.
Well that's true of the penalties for uninhabitable climates, It's far more interesting for the 5/11 climates that your race can now with only minor penalties for unsuitable climate, massively expanding the parts of the world that are possible avenue of conquest. It also leads to interesting situations where High Elf's, Lizard Men and Skaven will all fight over jungle provinces, but only Elfs and Lizards will fight for control of magic islands that are uninhabitable to Rats, while at the same time only Rats and Lizards will care about desserts that are uninhabitable for Elfs. That kind of asymmetric conflict simply wasn't possible with the old system.

Panfilo posted:

I'll have to see how this pans out. The strategic element of heroes was interesting and not needing to deploy them seems to move them away from being on the strategic map and far more frequently tagging along with armies.
You can now use them as part of the settlement garrison without needing a lord, which gives them added utility if they are just hanging around your provinces.

Panfilo posted:

They didn't before?
Most of them were locked so deep in the blue skill tree that you never saw them, things like boosted casualty replenishment, exp per turn to all units, and increase magic item chance are now all available from rank 1 and can then be further improved with a skill.

Panfilo posted:

The skills feom the blue tree are still there, just not locked behind prerequisite skills anymore, so if I want my Saurrous scar veteran to be an assassin I don't have to waste points on reducing public order in enemy provinces, or assaulting garrisons to unlock the skill that boosts assassination.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Blinks77 posted:

I'll admit i'm not excited for pre-load. I have no idea why anyone would be.

Im joining a ship for 3 months and I'm flying on the 27th, you had best believe im happy about a preload.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm not gonna be able to unbox an 80gb preload with my 250gb SSD am I? I got windows on this thing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm not gonna be able to unbox an 80gb preload with my 250gb SSD am I? I got windows on this thing.

I seem to remember that Steam recently patched in the ability to outsource unpacking to other drives if the one the game is on is not large enough, so you might be in luck there. Dunno how exactly you'd go about making it work that way, though.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Reviews are out.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Mr Teatime posted:

Im joining a ship for 3 months and I'm flying on the 27th, you had best believe im happy about a preload.

But you'll be stuck with the inevitably buggy and unbalanced release :O

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Demiurge4 posted:

I don't see why not. Those of us with 128gb ssds are screwed. I actually just bought a 500gb SSD but adding it to my PC introduced BSODs after 10 minutes of windows uptime every time. Really not sure what's up with that. Mobo doesn't like 4hds plugged in or something

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
https://twitter.com/rockpapershot/status/912316554427211776

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

christ only 3 more days

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
My poorness is going to suck for the next few weeks until I start this job, ugh.

I just want to play emo-elves and rat dudes god dammit

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 25, 2017

f_c_
Oct 27, 2007

The Hero changes sound great to me, instant quest battles might be the only mod I need.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Vorpal Cat posted:

Well that's true of the penalties for uninhabitable climates, It's far more interesting for the 5/11 climates that your race can now with only minor penalties for unsuitable climate, massively expanding the parts of the world that are possible avenue of conquest. It also leads to interesting situations where High Elf's, Lizard Men and Skaven will all fight over jungle provinces, but only Elfs and Lizards will fight for control of magic islands that are uninhabitable to Rats, while at the same time only Rats and Lizards will care about desserts that are uninhabitable for Elfs. That kind of asymmetric conflict simply wasn't possible with the old system.

You can now use them as part of the settlement garrison without needing a lord, which gives them added utility if they are just hanging around your provinces.

Most of them were locked so deep in the blue skill tree that you never saw them, things like boosted casualty replenishment, exp per turn to all units, and increase magic item chance are now all available from rank 1 and can then be further improved with a skill.

The skills feom the blue tree are still there, just not locked behind prerequisite skills anymore, so if I want my Saurrous scar veteran to be an assassin I don't have to waste points on reducing public order in enemy provinces, or assaulting garrisons to unlock the skill that boosts assassination.

Oh cool, if they let you use heroes to help with a local garrison then that is awesome. Wizards in particular are great force multipliers for a garrison force. And yeah, no longer gating some skills is a nice improvement as well.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-25-total-war-warhammer-2-review

"It's taken nearly two decades, but they've finally nailed it. Warhammer 2 is Total War perfected."

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

f_c_ posted:

The Hero changes sound great to me, instant quest battles might be the only mod I need.

From the videos I've watched so does it seem like the quest objectives for the most part is stuff you would do anyway so it's not nearly as annoying as in 1.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Total War will never be perfected until they unfuck diplomacy but that seems to be an impossible feat apparently.

Then again the franchise is called Total War not Total Peace. :getin:

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 25, 2017

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Plavski posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-09-25-total-war-warhammer-2-review

"It's taken nearly two decades, but they've finally nailed it. Warhammer 2 is Total War perfected."

What's that keening wail I hear? It is the sound of impotently furious historical grognards.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Deakul posted:

Then again the franchise is called Total War not Total Peace. :getin:

I was watching ninjahunds stream yesterday and while he was asking chat if he should peace out with Teclis someone replied 'It isn't called peacehammer'. :allears:

That's gonna stick with me whenever I'm doing diplomacy now.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Nephthys posted:

I was watching ninjahunds stream yesterday and while he was asking chat if he should peace out with Teclis someone replied 'It isn't called peacehammer'. :allears:

Diplomacy is very useful to separate the people you're currently murdering from the people you're going to murder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Nephthys posted:

:perfect:

• Locked thread