Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
https://twitter.com/BrazilBrian/status/910163008214769664

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

now what do these polls look like uncucked?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

now what do these polls look like uncucked?

We will know soon since the media and moro are doing their best to prevent Lula from running

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Plutonis posted:

Latest news here: Two queer art expositions were shut down, one by the police and another after protesting by rightwingers, Army General recently said that military intervention is necessary to save country, judiciary decision made "Gay Cure" interventions legal. Welp.

its good to know that as hosed as mexico is we arent as bad brazil lol

otoh you guys seem capable of indicting corrupt politicians while murderious piece of poo poo governors who stole so much they ran the state into the ground walk free here

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so how about that 7.1 in mexico city. good lord

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

200+ people dead rip

on the anniversary of the worst earthquake in mexican history too, nature is trolling us at this point

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

even better, his approval rating is literally 0% among Brazilians younger than 24

https://twitter.com/msantoro1978/status/911683718703706113

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fallen Hamprince posted:

even better, his approval rating is literally 0% among Brazilians younger than 24

well at least he can't go lower among them

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

get that OUT of my face posted:

well at least he can't go lower among them

temer becomes so hated among young brazilians that he begins to generate electorally unstable anti-youths, driving his approval ratings into negative numbers

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Fallen Hamprince posted:

how old is the MBL guy

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

lollontee posted:

People insist on calling me a European even though this is the continent of OG nationalism and legitimate races and I'm frankly insulted to be lumped in the same group as those race -mixing spaniards who don't even exist as a real natio...

I suppose for Americans it's more of a race thing since race in the US is seen as some kind of immutable and inheritable status and not a form of self-identification. But besides that, me calling you a latino doesn't automatically mean I'm somehow denying you the right to identify as a member of a distinct nation or tribe or some other group, it's just a question of me noting (from my narrow point of view) that you're part of some group that shares certain cultural commonalities co-created by your shared history or whatever.

As for south american cultural continuities before the time of colonization, I had thought the view that native cultures where pretty much obliterated and whatever populations left after the great plagues were forcibly assimilated into the colonial ruling cultures, barring those groups that managed to maintain their cultural identities as tribal members to this day, was the concensus view. Dunno if that's chauvinistic, but I had thought that distinct South American identities as members of different nations started conciously emerging only around the time of the Bolivarian Revolutions?

Sinteres posted:

If Marco Rubio or Ted Cruz said they were white, nobody but pedantic racists would really disagree. As someone who lives in Florida, I know plenty of people of Cuban descent who basically are considered white by everyone unless they themselves make a point of saying otherwise. Maybe it's different in Miami where there's a greater concentration and greater likelihood of retaining the accent, but elsewhere second or third generation Cubans (at least those with relatively light skin) are essentially white, and intermarriage is ultimately going to do a lot to erase the distinction for a lot of the Hispanic population in general.

Sinteres posted:

I thought Americans were obsessed with race until I talked to a Chilean girl who talked about how proud she was when she dyed her hair blonde and people thought it was really hers, and that all of her friends thought she was lucky for having a European last name. She refused to believe me when I told her being too pale is actually considered a bad thing here. I don't know if that kind of thing happens elsewhere in Latin America, or if Chile is a particularly egregious example, but denying that racial hierarchies based on skin color unfortunately exist in many parts of the world is ridiculous. My point was just that in the US, after two or three generations, the hierarchy tends to reset to black people and then everyone else.

Bit late, butt

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

So Chile has *more* of "look at how Euro I am" thing than Southern Brazilians or Argentinians? Holy poo poo

I mean I get their Libertador was Bernardo O'Higgins but come on

edit so I am not gratuitously dunking on the neighbor: few years back a friend of mine went to Italy for a student exchange program that she qualified for at uni, with her went a class colleague, who has an Italian surname, white, blue eyes and blonde. According to my friend, she couldn't stop blabbing how much at home she felt while the other Italians they made friends of just went "lol what the gently caress" until one of them said "well Italy is full of Italians already, Brazilians are more interesting"

dead gay comedy forums has issued a correction as of 13:06 on Sep 28, 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

in the third quoted post I like the implication that a Spanish last name isn't european

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

that dude is not wrong about hispanics being racist as gently caress. americans are just more overt about the whole thing i guess

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

babypolis posted:

that dude is not wrong about hispanics being racist as gently caress. americans are just more overt about the whole thing i guess

Yeah society as a whole here is probably MORE racist than the USA but we are just better at hiding it.

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Whoa whoa whoa hold the loving phone

As a mestizo, I'll be the first to tell you that Latin America is racist, but don't whitewash Anglo racism.

The Anglos enslaved and colonized 90% of the global south and continue to oppress brown people, systematically, institutionally, and culturally.

Latinos may be racist, but we don't hold a candle to the Anglos. (Literal slavery 150 years ago, Jim Crow, Apartheid, and now the indiscriminate killing of brown people in the US by police forces)

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anywho, I came here to post about how happy it makes me that parts of the world aren't poo poo and I love that Bolivians are celebrating Che

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Frijolero posted:

Whoa whoa whoa hold the loving phone

As a mestizo, I'll be the first to tell you that Latin America is racist, but don't whitewash Anglo racism.

The Anglos enslaved and colonized 90% of the global south and continue to oppress brown people, systematically, institutionally, and culturally.

Latinos may be racist, but we don't hold a candle to the Anglos. (Literal slavery 150 years ago, Jim Crow, Apartheid, and now the indiscriminate killing of brown people in the US by police forces)

i mean it terms of outcomes of course nothing compares to anglo racism

in terms of insidiousness on modern day life i say latinos take the cake because not only is it extremely prevalent its never even adressed or called out. foe example its basically impossible for my brother who is more dark skinned than me to get into fancy nightclubs. if something like that happened in america you could raise a huge stink but over here no one gives a poo poo

babypolis has issued a correction as of 21:14 on Oct 11, 2017

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
dont get me started on how every bolivian person here basically is forced to live in a verdulerķa and constantly being called bolita.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So has Venezuela collapsed yet?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it's not in south america, but the dominican republic loves to view itself as the white to haiti's black

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Frijolero posted:

Anywho, I came here to post about how happy it makes me that parts of the world aren't poo poo and I love that Bolivians are celebrating Che

Worthless country celebrating a worthless person.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

allow me to prove that i'm not racist by demonstrating how another race is more racist

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

qnqnx posted:

Worthless country celebrating a worthless person.

Give them the sea access back you fuckhead

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Fallen Hamprince posted:

allow me to prove that i'm not racist by demonstrating how another race is more racist

Don't pos here, rapist man

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Give them the sea access back you fuckhead

No.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Plutonis posted:

Don't pos here, rapist man

accusing a random online stranger of rape is an insanely good way to own them and not evidence of terminal 4chan poisoning

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fallen Hamprince posted:

accusing a random online stranger of rape is an insanely good way to own them and not evidence of terminal 4chan poisoning
that doesn't mean you should post

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fallen Hamprince posted:

eat poo poo hampiss

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Fallen Hamprince posted:

im mexican retard

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Frijolero posted:

eat poo poo hampiss

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
gringo checking in, how is brazil coming along politically

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

They took out the department meant to persecute slavery under the stance of being a waste of resources so a lil bit worse!

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Kunster posted:

They took out the department meant to persecute slavery under the stance of being a waste of resources so a lil bit worse!

:yikes:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God, imagine the damage they'd do if they hired just one PR rep.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Kunster posted:

also because four senators use actual no bullshit slave labor so you know

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kunster posted:

Rural workers can now be paid in food and company scrip so it does make sense

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sao Paulo mayor is now giving away "astronaut food" made of expired stuff to poor families

https://g1.globo.com/sao-paulo/noticia/prefeitura-de-sp-dara-alimento-granulado-a-familias-carentes.ghtml

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

wtf is going on in brazil did you guys elect the most reactionary response possible to the corruption of the left wing goverment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

babypolis posted:

wtf is going on in brazil did you guys elect the most reactionary response possible to the corruption of the left wing goverment?

lol you think there was an election

• Locked thread