Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is that supposed to be Kuzco from the Emporer's New Groove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmistajay
Aug 28, 2012

Mango chutney salsa!

RareAcumen posted:

Is that supposed to be Kuzco from the Emporer's New Groove?

Haha, no, she's Splinter.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So a kind of etiquette question regarding cosplay at cons. I know most people are coll with "hey, your costume looks great can I get a picture?"

Are there professional photo booths or kiosks set up where they charge for pictures? Part of me feels like there is a good market for taking good quality shots, but do Cons have anything against it?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

CzarChasm posted:

So a kind of etiquette question regarding cosplay at cons. I know most people are coll with "hey, your costume looks great can I get a picture?"

Are there professional photo booths or kiosks set up where they charge for pictures? Part of me feels like there is a good market for taking good quality shots, but do Cons have anything against it?

Cons have long since monetized it. Go to any fan convention (anime, comics, sci-fi-fi, horror, etc) and there's sure to be "professional" cos-players there as "Guests"™. Like, they have a booth and times for photos and autographs for a nominal fee.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

CzarChasm posted:

Depends on the show but many of them do. I was going to say it's a matter of size but than I remembered that PAX doesn't have one so maybe it's more the type of con with the photorooms being more likely at anime cons than a gaming expo.

E:FB

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

robziel posted:

Depends on the show

yeah i was gonna say it's a matter of weighing the pros and cons!!!!!

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

CzarChasm posted:

My experience is that there's no shortage of professional cosplay photographers at cons - not on the con floor itself because that's prime real estate, but right outside, at the hotels, or elsewhere in the building there's quite a bit of that going on.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
What I was really thinking was a monetized booth that had a chromakey background that you could change to whatever someone wanted (copyrights excluded) so forest glen, to city rooftop, to medieval castle, to clouds in the sky. Either photo realistic or cartoony or comic book style. Have a little prop stool or box to sit/stand/lay on to simulate flying/hovering. Send people a digital copy for a couple of bucks or send them with a good quality printout for a few bucks more.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

jmistajay posted:

We went to San Japan this year as April O'Neil, Shredder, and Master Splinter:

This Saitama was really into my April, and hurried across the convention floor to get a pic.

That's so cool that Josh Homme's into cosplay.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

There are also plenty of skeevy dudes who claim or are actual photographers who are there solely to be perverts. I've yelled more than one out of my booth where we were doing repairs because they were trying to get shots of girls adjusting tights or something.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

CzarChasm posted:

What I was really thinking was a monetized booth that had a chromakey background that you could change to whatever someone wanted (copyrights excluded) so forest glen, to city rooftop, to medieval castle, to clouds in the sky. Either photo realistic or cartoony or comic book style. Have a little prop stool or box to sit/stand/lay on to simulate flying/hovering. Send people a digital copy for a couple of bucks or send them with a good quality printout for a few bucks more.

http://cincinnaticomicexpo.com/cosplay/

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

I went to 2 cons this year and both had setups just like that. They were on the show floor like any other vendor, so I assume they just signed up and bought their space.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 02:39 on Sep 19, 2017

ThatSlacker
May 25, 2004

CzarChasm posted:

A guy that I used to work with had a rig where he could get a 360 set of photos of a person. He would then use those to produce a full color 3D print of the person. He was looking at making it portable enough to take to cons. After you've spent a few hundred hours making a costume getting a small statue of it wouldn't be outside the bounds of reason.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

ThatSlacker posted:

A guy that I used to work with had a rig where he could get a 360 set of photos of a person. He would then use those to produce a full color 3D print of the person. He was looking at making it portable enough to take to cons. After you've spent a few hundred hours making a costume getting a small statue of it wouldn't be outside the bounds of reason.

I've seen this at Seattle comiccon exactly twice, once in the main dealer's room and once in artist alley and nobody was doing it.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Blackchamber posted:

I've seen this at Seattle comiccon exactly twice, once in the main dealer's room and once in artist alley and nobody was doing it.

I've seen it in the Youmacon and Metrocon dealer rooms. I think the issue is that the models they make are incredibly low resolution, and kinda cruddy. Like, even by fast 3-d printing standards they are bad.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

There are also plenty of skeevy dudes who claim or are actual photographers who are there solely to be perverts. I've yelled more than one out of my booth where we were doing repairs because they were trying to get shots of girls adjusting tights or something.

A friend of mine calls these people "Art Fucks", a term that describes both what they are and what they are hoping to accomplish.

ThatSlacker
May 25, 2004

The Repo Man posted:

I've seen it in the Youmacon and Metrocon dealer rooms. I think the issue is that the models they make are incredibly low resolution, and kinda cruddy. Like, even by fast 3-d printing standards they are bad.

That was his hook. He was using a resin printer which can do overhangs and really fine detail. If you've seen the figures that come out of figureprints.com that's roughly what his printer could do.

Of course I think that was also the downfall of the process. Resin is much more expensive than regular filament, he was doing touch up work on the models after the scanning process, and prints took multiple hours to produce. The results were incredible but it ended up being fairly spendy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

jmistajay posted:

We went to San Japan this year as April O'Neil, Shredder, and Master Splinter:

Haaa this is great.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

Plus, Fred's always driving so I always assumed everyone beside Scooby's in their 20's or something.

There didn't used to be the restrictions on young drivers like they have nowadays, once you got that license you could drive anywhere at any time with whomever was willing to get in the car with you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'd bury Shaggy if I ever caught him driving my teen daughters around in a shaggin-waggon.

Never sure what Fred's angle was.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

LingcodKilla posted:

I'd bury Shaggy if I ever caught him driving my teen daughters around in a shaggin-waggon.

Fred was into running off somewhere with Daphne and fuckin' while the rest of the gang did the actual work solving whatever mystery was up.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Fred seemed like the type that probably had a really good future ahead of him, so letting your daughter try to trap him probably wasn't as unacceptable as letting her hang around with that goddamn unwashed stoner.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I hate my daughter's boyfriend. Every time they're over he gets all the bread and salami and shuffles it around like a deck of cards and then makes a preposterously tall sandwich out of it but the most, the MOST infuriating thing about it is that goddamned olive on a toothpick he puts on top

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

davidspackage posted:

I hate my daughter's boyfriend. Every time they're over he gets all the bread and salami and shuffles it around like a deck of cards and then makes a preposterously tall sandwich out of it but the most, the MOST infuriating thing about it is that goddamned olive on a toothpick he puts on top

And he claims his dog owns a mansion, like, that's weird right?

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGhmZommc4s

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

And he claims his dog owns a mansion, like, that's weird right?

E:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGhmZommc4s

fuckin lol at that first comment

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

davidspackage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QybfoEmyeJk

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Look, it was established that all of this strangeness was caused by an ancient lovecraftian entity living underneath their town. Also then Harlan Ellison recruited them to solve mysteries of time and space at Miskatonic University because he exists in all parallel timelines at once:
No that's not fanfiction, that's real poo poo that happened in an actual Scooby Doo show for children
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ-8cn7LGoQ

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Look, it was established that all of this strangeness was caused by an ancient lovecraftian entity living underneath their town. Also then Harlan Ellison recruited them to solve mysteries of time and space at Miskatonic University because he exists in all parallel timelines at once:
No that's not fanfiction, that's real poo poo that happened in an actual Scooby Doo show for children
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ-8cn7LGoQ

It's all a lie. I have a Bachelor's in Medieval Metaphysics from Miskatonic, and I've never heard of the chappie in relation to the old school.

BTW, GO PODS!

Seriously, what is the name of that tissue of lies so I might watch it and witness the misrepresentation of the place that opened my eyes to the REAL world?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think this is just cosplay and not anything beyond that?

Also, I think it's a Rainbow Six Siege Operator.

The beret girl from an Extremely Goofy Movie

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I think this is just cosplay and not anything beyond that?

Also, I think it's a Rainbow Six Siege Operator.

Yup, I.Q.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Buff as hell Homestuck?

(I got bored and stopped Homestuck after like...erm...5? comics?)

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
I think it's supposed to be a male version of Quetzalcoatl/Lucoa from Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
http://maid-dragon.wikia.com/wiki/Quetzalcoatl

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Anime sure is something.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
https://twitter.com/Project_Burt/status/911143708824915969

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

We get it. He vapes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Powerpuff Guys. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's literally the whole joke of that particular episode.